E-Licktronic Nava 909 clone

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

heapish
Veteran Wiggler

Post by heapish » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:54 am

What wire should I be using? The rainbow stuff I got from think doesn't look as tough as what is pictured

donttouchmyrice
Learning to Wiggle

Post by donttouchmyrice » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:53 am

heapish wrote:What wire should I be using? The rainbow stuff I got from think doesn't look as tough as what is pictured
Yea if I'm not mistaken that's the 24AWG rainbow ribbon cable you're refering to?
Someone on the e-licktronic forum referred to that one as well and I wish I didn't follow that piece of advice. It should work, however you'll probably struggle having them fit nice and sturdy in each hole of the molex housing connectors. 24AWG is a little too thin for that.
The crimp terminal connectors from each wire will stick a little too loose to the pin headers when it's all connected inside the housing and each of the wires will have some space to wiggle, which isn't good.
Also, the crimpterminals wouldn't align properly in the housing when I connected housing and pinheaders, so I ended up connecting and disconnecting them constantly untill they aligned OK. Some crimpterminals bent & broke in half because of this so I had to backorder some of them. All very annoying :bang: .

Overall, I recommend going 22AWG stranded for those connections instead. They're diameter (with insulation) is thicker and they fit way better in each of the holes of the Molex connector housings.
They're also less finnicky to get your crimping terminal around.
The only downside to the 22AWG wire that it's a little too thick to fully fit in the soldering holes of the mixing board. I don't know if it's ok to cut some wire off at the end to make it fit in the soldering-holes. I'm not that electronically experienced.

Here's a Tayda link: http://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardwar ... anded.html
Tayda-days ended only yesterday. So you'll have to wait for about a month or so to have the next 15%discount on of your orders.

heapish
Veteran Wiggler

Post by heapish » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:59 pm

Cheers, I'll pick up some locally

heapish
Veteran Wiggler

Post by heapish » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:58 pm

Just double checking. I have v1.01a board. Am I right when I say, I only need to add the flying wire in the Bass Drum and no other mods needed?

heapish
Veteran Wiggler

Post by heapish » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:30 pm

Finished but with problems today. Found this today, wish Id found it ages ago.

https://derekwarren.net/nava/pages/nava ... ral-advice

Check the transistors before placing them.

fattyparts
Common Wiggler

Post by fattyparts » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:00 am

am i right in thinking that the keycaps for the cherry switches are just standard keyboard caps? i want to replace the white ones that come with the kit to another colour. not sure whether they're the same thing as a standard cap?

mangros
Common Wiggler

Post by mangros » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:38 am

Don't have a Nava but I'm putting together a Yocto2 at the moment and the sequencer side looks almost identical. The caps from the kit are 'OEM' profile, row 1, with the LED window on the sloping side. They are positioned upside down compared with a computer keyboard.
Deadly sci-fi electro: http://soundcloud.com/radiantsuicide
Futuristic fonts: http://disasterfonts.co.uk

fattyparts
Common Wiggler

Post by fattyparts » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:59 am

thanks for the info, this is a lot more confusing that i originally thought. don't suppose you know of a UK supplier that stocks these? i might bite the bullet and buy an entire keyboard just get the caps.

mangros
Common Wiggler

Post by mangros » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:24 am

This shows some different profile families with the different row shapes, the Yocto2 shape is definitely the one I've circled. Most readily available keycaps are suitable for Cherry MX-type switches with the plus-shaped stem.

There's nothing to stop you picking a different row or profile, but the trouble you'll have is finding caps with the LED windows. I'm guessing that E-licktronic have consulted someone that had moulds for those (probably from a scroll-lock/num-lock key or something) and ordered loads.

You could always get translucent caps I suppose.

Anyway you can get full sets from a few UK places - however they have less range and are more expensive than the Chinese sellers.

http://www.ukkeycaps.co.uk/category/keycaps
https://mechboards.co.uk/product-category/keycaps/

KBDfans are in China but ship reasonably fast (2 weeks ish) https://kbd.fans/collections/oem-profile
Deadly sci-fi electro: http://soundcloud.com/radiantsuicide
Futuristic fonts: http://disasterfonts.co.uk

talon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by talon » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:30 am

If you Nava owners haven't seen this yet, get onto it:

http://www.e-licktronic.com/forum/viewt ... =25&t=1750

zabox from the forum has released firmware that fixes a whole plethora is issues and also has a beta firmware that enables flam on the Nava.

It's pretty rock solid on v1.027. So many people (including myself) had issues with v1.023, etc and a lot of people suspected build issues - a lot of these were fixed with the firmware by zabox!

Behaviour
1-Post Wiggler

Nava Potentiometer B5 01 - 500Ohms

Post by Behaviour » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:54 am

Hi,

I'm currently replacing the potentiometers to Alpha vertical D 9mm pots but I'm struggling to find a replacement for VR3 it has a value of 500RB, is there a potentiometer like the alpha's that I can use? Or does anyone have a link to the original B501 that came in the kit as I damaged the original one that was included in the kit.

If there is no replacement I was wondering if its possible to use a higher rated resistance Alpha Pot and change the resistors linked to the pot? I know this sounds vague but I'm desperate to find a solution to my stupid mistake and hopefully learn something new.

I've attached the potentiometer BOM and schematic for reference.

Any help is welcome

Thanks

Behaviour
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

heapish
Veteran Wiggler

Post by heapish » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:06 pm

talon wrote:If you Nava owners haven't seen this yet, get onto it:

http://www.e-licktronic.com/forum/viewt ... =25&t=1750

zabox from the forum has released firmware that fixes a whole plethora is issues and also has a beta firmware that enables flam on the Nava.

It's pretty rock solid on v1.027. So many people (including myself) had issues with v1.023, etc and a lot of people suspected build issues - a lot of these were fixed with the firmware by zabox!
YESSS FLAM. Need to fix get back on mine and finish it.

fattyparts
Common Wiggler

Post by fattyparts » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:00 am

my mouser Nava order has shipped, but i'm lacking two components.

if anyone can help me find these parts here in the UK I would be most grateful as backorders won't be available until 2019 and i haven't a clue as to what i should be searching for. before you ask, my Nava is being built for me :)

581-08051C104J4T4A
08051C104J4T4A
100V .1uF X7R 0805
AVX Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors MLCC - SMD/SMT 4 4
APR 17, 2019

603-MFR-25FRF52150R
MFR-25FRF52-150R
150 OHM 1% 1/4 WATT
Yageo Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole 1 1
NOV 26, 2018

talon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by talon » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:55 pm

Very common parts, I would be surprised if your builder wouldn’t have these at hand. Otherwise, any local electronics shop will have them.

fattyparts
Common Wiggler

Post by fattyparts » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:21 am

A quick question about the nava tact switches. Wondered if anyone knows of a better alternative? Everything else is working really well, the new firmware with shuffle is dope! However these nasty tack switches feel really cheap and and act sticky.

prae
Wiggling with Experience

Post by prae » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:11 am

hope it's ok to post here, but i'm selling my nava at this time.

pro built by klang generator, lovely metal erica case.

i just don't use it any more...

PM me
:doepfer:

automatique
Learning to Wiggle

Post by automatique » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:20 pm

Not sure if I can post this here as well: I have a Nava enclosure (ericasynths) for sale and are located in EU.

Jean Luc Cougar
Common Wiggler

Post by Jean Luc Cougar » Mon May 13, 2019 1:42 pm

Any USA builders here? I have all the components / boards / case, I just don't have the time to build this myself. Please do drop me a PM.

mahrman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mahrman » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:27 am

After one year my perfectly build Nava 909, would not trigger the crash(at least no sound came when placed a trigger in sequencer).

Recently I also had problems with ride and hihat. Sometimes it takes some time for these drums to reach full volume, or no sound at all.

Anybody else got similar experience with their Nava 909?

Dimitrix
1-Post Wiggler

Re:

Post by Dimitrix » Wed May 20, 2020 8:18 pm

nologin wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:51 pm
I have a kit, i'll make a special version with lots of mods. I'll put a lcd of another color, two FX fuzz inside and many other mods. My goal is to fill the empty space with potentiometers. I built after September. Is there anyone who finished hers and is fully functional?
Anywhere where you posted about this project?? I am interested how it went with all those mods you are talking about;
I am a no stock machine man and am pleased to read about others ideas!

nologin
Common Wiggler

Re: E-Licktronic Nava 909 clone

Post by nologin » Sun May 24, 2020 4:48 am

Since the time has passed and i've made something different out of it. I removed the fuzz but installed a monotron VCF on the master output instead. And i added pitch and drive mods on the toms. But i've built one for myself and i won't build another. Because i think it's pretty risky to try to make mods on nava. And there is also nava extra9 which is available, which is more complete, but maybe more difficult to make the original 909 "sound".
Sorry the vid's, it's french:

Mine is special a few, but it gives a big kick in the face to the haters, who say the TR909 always the same sounds :hihi:. While still being able to make the original sound very easily.

emenel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by emenel » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:11 pm

Question/Request for trouble shooting help from other Nava builders:

I just finished my 1.02 kit and it’s almost all working. I have two problems;

1 - The snare sound is only the noise portion, no VCO “body” sound at all. Based on scoping the ENV points marked on the board, it looks like the envelopes for the VCO are not firing when the envs for the noise are going. Any tips on what to check next?

2 - The Hi Tom is only sounding the click, not the decay. It looks like the VCOs are not actually oscillating. I used my scope to compare them to the other toms, where I can see clear oscillator action on the VCO pins. Not sure what to check next here either.

Otherwise all voices sound like I expected... the only other issue is sound major volume differences between sounds in the main mixed output... not sure what would cause this...

Thanks for any and all input!

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Post by Purveyor2 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:44 pm

Finished my 1.02 build having power issues. Power board shows proper voltages on all pins. Wires have proper voltage as well. When I plug in the wires, the +/-15V rails test correctly. However the 5V on the main board is just under 2V. I’ve checked for solder bridges, cut traces, cap values and don’t see a problem. Basically the 5V connection from I/O board J10 is sending 5V but once plugged into J2 it becomes 2V. Any ideas?

anotherlin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anotherlin » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:57 pm

Purveyor2 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:44 pm
Basically the 5V connection from I/O board J10 is sending 5V but once plugged into J2 it becomes 2V. Any ideas?
You have something drawing too much current or some kind of short.
I would double check the orientation of the ICs.
If they're on sockets, you can remove all of them and put them one by one, checking the voltage each time.

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Post by Purveyor2 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:18 pm

I found it. It was a grounding issue. I didn’t stuff R40 since it wasn’t in the docs, apparently it links the digital ground to analog ground. 1.02 updates aren’t listed in bom or build guide, had to dig through the forums and came upon it. Now to troubleshooting some of the voices. Got to say, this build is turning into a PITA due to shitty documentation and kinda subpar pcb quality. Built a fair amount of complex projects without any significant issues (TTSH, 1601, re-303, re-606, jasper, Lyra 8) and now NAVA. Going to spend the next week looking for Incidentally cut traces, bad op amps, etc. Only have three voices with issues so not bad I guess.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”