E-Licktronic Nava 909 clone

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

emenel
Learning to Wiggle

Re: E-Licktronic Nava 909 clone

Post by emenel » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:11 am

Purveyor2 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:18 pm
Only have three voices with issues so not bad I guess.
Which voices are you having issues with?

I just ordered a component tester to check all my transistors as I try to get to the bottom of my snare issue.

Are you having volume issues as well? A number of the voices are far louder on mine, like 2x more than the bd. Not a huge deal when using individual outs, but annoying for the master out.

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Post by Purveyor2 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:57 pm

Low Tom has infinite decay, high Tom no sound at all, clap is loud as fuck - or BD and SD are too quite. Definitely some volume issues on main out.

Now this could be user error but snare was accenting on certain steps and not on others, regardless of programming. I suspect the global accent at work but not sure.

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Post by Purveyor2 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:56 pm

Spent last evening adjusting the resistance of some pots to even out volumes. BD 200k, SD 100k, rim 50k, clap 10k. Much better.
Now I have a problem with my snare, pulsating background noise at all times. Volume pot turns it off and the snare strikes are buried in there. All I did was desolder the volume pot and replace it. Don’t see any vias in that area to screw up. Snare was great before this 🤦‍♂️
Also my crash had short decay, decided to unseat the muX boards and swap positions and bam! Crash sounds great - with no mux boards installed. Swapping them silenced it completely. Jesus, this build....

emenel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by emenel » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:41 pm

Purveyor2 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:56 pm
Crash sounds great - with no mux boards installed. Swapping them silenced it completely. Jesus, this build....
Sounds like the mux boards might have an issue? Have you double checked all the IC orientations and joints?

I found both of my issues. I had a single transitor in backwards in both the Snare and Hi-Tom, turning them around brought both to life.
Purveyor2 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:57 pm
clap is loud as fuck
Have you turned down the clap trim pot? It has a huge range, it worked for levelling mine.

---

With those transistors fixed mine is now fully functioning :)

I'm happy to try and help based on what I learned if anyone has questions.

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Post by Purveyor2 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:04 am

Good news. Yeah I’ve checked all the orientations. Taking a break for a day or so then I’ll look at it again.

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Post by Purveyor2 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:16 pm

emenel wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:41 pm
Purveyor2 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:56 pm
Crash sounds great - with no mux boards installed. Swapping them silenced it completely. Jesus, this build....
Sounds like the mux boards might have an issue? Have you double checked all the IC orientations and joints?

I found both of my issues. I had a single transitor in backwards in both the Snare and Hi-Tom, turning them around brought both to life.
Purveyor2 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:57 pm
clap is loud as fuck
Have you turned down the clap trim pot? It has a huge range, it worked for levelling mine.

---

With those transistors fixed mine is now fully functioning :)

I'm happy to try and help based on what I learned if anyone has questions.
Hey- got my snare partially fixed, now I’m where you were with all noise but no oscillators in the final sound. Vco’s scope good, those few envelopes aren’t triggering. Which transistors did you have reversed?

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Post by Purveyor2 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:21 pm

Update on voicing problems:

Low Tom perpetual decay - always confirm component values! Brand new bag of .68uf electrolytic capacitors from tayda, filled with 22uf caps. Replaced and all fixed.

High Tom wouldn’t sound - no trigger coming from IC 112. Pin 2 of the IC not working, swapped and fixed.

Ride wouldn’t sound - finally looked at the ride, poor connections on MTA header. Fixed.

Snare - been messing with this the most. What I’ve determined is that both the oscillators and noise are bleeding through to IC40 and then the output at all times. Only way to shut it up is volume knob all the way off. About the same amplitude as the snare which does occur when sequencer running. All osc and envelopes are triggered appropriately. Still working on this one.

dot matrix madness
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dot matrix madness » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:24 am

Purveyor2 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:21 pm
Update on voicing problems:
Snare - been messing with this the most. What I’ve determined is that both the oscillators and noise are bleeding through to IC40 and then the output at all times. Only way to shut it up is volume knob all the way off. About the same amplitude as the snare which does occur when sequencer running. All osc and envelopes are triggered appropriately. Still working on this one.
Are the transistors oriented the right way? Are the trigger and envelope signals present at their bases?
Licenced to solder since 1993

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Post by Purveyor2 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:50 pm

Trannies are oriented correctly. It sounds kinda like a ground loop, though I can turn off the noise with snappy knob and the oscillators continue to drone but tune knob works. Trigger signal present, envelopes 2,3,5 had been difficult to see on scope - but clearly present last night.

dot matrix madness
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dot matrix madness » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:07 am

I had related issues with my own DIY clone (noise was present all the time) and it came down to a cold solder point
on an IC socket (the one corresponding to IC34), which was responsible for the envelope. Try swapping
IC34 against IC37(VCO1) and IC35 against IC38(VCO2) to see if it is a faulty OpAmp.
Licenced to solder since 1993

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Post by Purveyor2 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:18 pm

dot matrix madness wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:07 am
I had related issues with my own DIY clone (noise was present all the time) and it came down to a cold solder point
on an IC socket (the one corresponding to IC34), which was responsible for the envelope. Try swapping
IC34 against IC37(VCO1) and IC35 against IC38(VCO2) to see if it is a faulty OpAmp.
Thanks, I’ll check into those ICs tonight.
Replaced the sockets for ICs 34-39. Also removed the tune pot for low Tom tuning and trimmed a cap lead (probable short). Replaced everything and :sb: all is well.

Margnat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Margnat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:43 pm

Hello guys!

I recently finished my NAVA but as most of you I'm having some issues. All instruments are working fine through the direct outs but if I use the master out everything sounds a little bit distorted / not right sometimes.

Also I'm having an issue with the accent. It seems that the instruments affect each others steps. For example when I program a ride cymbal/crash/OH it works fine but then when I program some steps on the low tom/snare the ride cymbal/crash/OH gets affected by it and sounds different on some steps (louder / more attack on some steps) depends where I put the triggers for the low tom or snare.

Any hints where to look for are highly appreciated since I'm not so much into electric engineering.. Thanks in advance!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”