E-Licktronic Nava 909 clone

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:41 am

He's on holiday till the 15th.

Kit was ~350 euro IIRC

GryphonP3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GryphonP3 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:01 am

Mine is all done! just waiting for that case :deadbanana: quite a long build.. Longer than it looks, I think. Quite easy though, just alot of parts. You guys can do it! :sb: :goo: :sb:
My cat can eat a whole watermelon ...

nologin
Common Wiggler

Post by nologin » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:22 pm

The kit is just the printed circuits, transistors and rare IC. With all components, AC transf, case, I'm pretty about 700 €.

a

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:07 pm

Shop is back up and just ordered the kit...

I got on the wait list for an enclosure early then thought I was going to skip this project since I've got plenty of others but kept getting emails about the enclosure so I figured I might as well while I still have a chance. :deadbanana:

Have the issues all been worked out? Any build advice before I order the other components?

Troubleshooter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Troubleshooter » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:47 am

For the analog part you get allways ask us, the trevor/synthage TR-9090 people....

mOBiTh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mOBiTh » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:36 am

Guys

Has anyone upgraded their pots to metal shafts from Tayda.

Seems they're nearly all available aside from the 500R, dual, and encoder.

To do or not do to :hmm:

Haterade
Common Wiggler

Post by Haterade » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:29 pm

How brutal was this build?
"Don't shun the world, shed it"

LED-man
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LED-man » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:26 am

Haterade wrote:How brutal was this build?
-- deleted
Last edited by LED-man on Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
################################
TTSH Support Page and other DIY Projects:
https://www.DSL-man.de

AonFLuX
Common Wiggler

Post by AonFLuX » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:20 am

Haterade wrote:How brutal was this build?
It was my first big build, only did a few pedals before..
And it worked on the first try :)

As it is essentially a build of many small modules of each sound, you can verify each sound as you finish that. But you have to have a great deal of patience - I think its something like 3800 solder points..

mOBiTh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mOBiTh » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:27 am

mOBiTh wrote:Guys

OK I've upgraded all pots to metal as far as possible for brutalist wiggling

synthdude
Common Wiggler

Post by synthdude » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:32 am

Its somewhat brutal. Brutal in the sense that it takes a VERY long time to build. The resistors are better since they are flat on the board. Takes about a week to build if you work on it every day for a few hours a day. Thats brutal for me. I would not want to build another one. I can't imagine how Roland built thousands of these by hand! :eek:

mOBiTh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mOBiTh » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:40 am

synthdude wrote:Its somewhat brutal. Brutal in the sense that it takes a VERY long time to build. The resistors are better since they are flat on the board. Takes about a week to build if you work on it every day for a few hours a day. Thats brutal for me. I would not want to build another one. I can't imagine how Roland built thousands of these by hand! :eek:
Agreed, def won't be making more than one I'm over the moon about the resistors being flat though - thank fuck for that...

jhulk
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jhulk » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:12 pm

you got to realise when roland was building these the wages were very low a lot lower than Europe and UK, and usa why most of the electronics went there to japan and Taiwan Philippines.

but wages are high now in japan and a lot of stuff went to china now china has started to get more expensive poland is the next booming place to get stuff done at very high quality for a very good price

synthdude
Common Wiggler

Post by synthdude » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:42 am

jhulk wrote:you got to realise when roland was building these the wages were very low a lot lower than Europe and UK, and usa why most of the electronics went there to japan and Taiwan Philippines.

but wages are high now in japan and a lot of stuff went to china now china has started to get more expensive poland is the next booming place to get stuff done at very high quality for a very good price
Yes Poland is the place now. My yocto and nava case are made in Poland, and the quality is very good, and the price was good too! Although they are made of aluminum. It would have been much better if they where made of steel.

mOBiTh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mOBiTh » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:15 am

I like steel too, but it's a bit more annoying to drill extra holes in!

GryphonP3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GryphonP3 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:01 pm

Does anyone know where to source the LED pushbuttons they provide with the kit? I lost 2 caps when movers came in and messed a bunch of my gear up, and that makes the buttons useless once its in the enclosure. I asked e-licktronic but no response. Would be greatly appreciated!

truman_k
Common Wiggler

Post by truman_k » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:00 am

mOBiTh wrote:

Hi mOBiTh, which metal shaft do you use? I'd like to change that too.

mOBiTh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mOBiTh » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:21 pm

truman_k wrote:
mOBiTh wrote:

Hi mOBiTh, which metal shaft do you use? I'd like to change that too.
Hey mate I used the 9mm metal shaft Alpha type (green base).

I have a full spare set which I probably won't end up using if you want them off me? pm if so :)

truman_k
Common Wiggler

Post by truman_k » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:30 am

Thanks I think about it. Using metal shaft will that stop the knobs from wobbling?

mOBiTh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mOBiTh » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:39 am

truman_k wrote:Thanks I think about it. Using metal shaft will that stop the knobs from wobbling?
Yeh for sure, these pots screw down on to faceplate so they're rock solid

Crisp
Learning to Wiggle

Can not update Firmware

Post by Crisp » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:20 pm

I am starting to go a bit nuts here. I have tried several permutations and nothing works.

1-Downloaded MidiOx

2- Changed both buffers to 64 bytes with Channel 32 (Under Options-->Configure Buffers) **Not sure what the Channel # should be...so I just kept it at 32**

3- Dowloaded the .rar file

4- Uncompressed/unzipped .rar file

5- Connect cheap Midi/USB interface to computer. MIDI OUT of the device to Midi IN of the NAVA

6- From drop down menu View--->> Sysex--->>> Command window ---> Load file---->(Pick 1.019 .syx) --->> Command window--->Sendsysex

7-Hold down 1+3+5 on NAVA while turning on the power

8- From drop down menue Command window --->> Sendsysex

9-Progress bar shows progress. USB/MIDI device stars blinking it's blue light

10-Nava does nothing until upload is complete. No status meter or flossingl lights. Step number one lights up and stays lit.

11-Upon completion of the send the NAVA restarts and the display shows the old 1.018 version.

I have done this about 20 times with little changes here and there. What am I missing? I really want my Mid-Tom fixed.

Thank you,
Steve

nologin
Common Wiggler

Post by nologin » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:38 am

Hi, i am starting to build it and i made the recommended corrections in the topics and in my first BD and SN tests, i noticed that i have sounds that resemble a TR909, but it's not really it.
3 people i know others who have builded Nava and none have a clone that is good... At first i thought they were bad and were making mistakes by building. But then i have doubts, i fears that the end result will not be at the top, far away ...

Note that i'm not an electronics engineer, but i'm not a beginner DIY. I will not mention all the builds that i managed, but for example i assembled a MB909 an i suspect it very much better than nava.
So honestly is there anyone who has a TR909 or MB909 is pelinement satisfied by Nava? :hmm:

GryphonP3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GryphonP3 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:38 pm

nologin wrote:Hi, i am starting to build it and i made the recommended corrections in the topics and in my first BD and SN tests, i noticed that i have sounds that resemble a TR909, but it's not really it.
3 people i know others who have builded Nava and none have a clone that is good... At first i thought they were bad and were making mistakes by building. But then i have doubts, i fears that the end result will not be at the top, far away ...

Note that i'm not an electronics engineer, but i'm not a beginner DIY. I will not mention all the builds that i managed, but for example i assembled a MB909 an i suspect it very much better than nava.
So honestly is there anyone who has a TR909 or MB909 is pelinement satisfied by Nava? :hmm:
I had a 909 and sold it when I built my first Nava. The only complaint I have against it is that it cannot be played via MIDI as a sound module yet. I generally like to sequence all my drums from my Cirklon (or like to be able to at least) and its currently impossible to play Nava notes via MIDI, unless its been updated very recently.

Soundwise, it left me feeling very little value for what a real 909 is worth.

mOBiTh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mOBiTh » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:48 pm

nologin wrote:Hi, i am starting to build it and i made the recommended corrections in the topics and in my first BD and SN tests, i noticed that i have sounds that resemble a TR909, but it's not really it.

Maybe you can be more specific about what is wrong with the sound?

Does it just need tuning or is it something else?

I spent quite a bit of time tuning my yocto so it sounded 'right' to me - although that doesn't necessarily mean 100% authentic.

I've used numerous real 909s and owned a couple - one sounded great and the other sounded kinda horrible cos of the tuning.

Another issue might be your PSU. Are you using something with enough guts?

Stick some samples on here and we might be able to point you in the right direction

synthdude
Common Wiggler

Post by synthdude » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:24 pm

nologin wrote: So honestly is there anyone who has a TR909 or MB909 is pelinement satisfied by Nava? :hmm:
I finally finished building my nava recently after waiting forever to get the box for it. Everything works except for the high tom. The pitch on the high tom is all messed up, and I'm not sure how to fix that. The snare does not sound like the original but it does not sound bad and its pretty close. I tried the snare hack by swaping the leads on the transistors, but it didn't make any difference so I put it back to the way it was before. Everything else sounds legit. I did the BD hack to stop the ground noise, and it worked. The main output on mine is really noisy, but that goes away if I use the individual outs.

The one thing thats really getting on my nerves is the pattern switching. When you tap a button to go to the next pattern, it just goes strait to it without waiting for the current pattern to finish. So if you get the timing wrong, you get a bump in the rhythm and thats useless when playing live. This needs to be fixed ASAP. All in all I have mixed feelings on the Nava. It would have been really nice to not have to do any hacking. I hate hacking something that should not be a problem to begin with. I think there should have been a more thorough development processes to iron out the kinks before offering it to the public. :bang: At this point my Nava is working (with some issues), and its a lot less expensive than buying a vintage 909, so I'm good for now. I hope he can get new firmware out to fix the pattern switching issue soon, because that is critical!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”