E-Licktronic Nava 909 clone

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

cranleigh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cranleigh » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:41 pm

I got mine from the E-lictronic site -there's a thread on the forum about it. I have the happymum one, it's excellent. I think another guy is making a round of different cases on there too.

heapish
Veteran Wiggler

Post by heapish » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:32 am

Is there a build thread for this anywhere? Haven't seen one. But have seen people on Instagram mentioning problems with builds. I'd like to build in any fixes as i go.
Cheers

ratsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by ratsnake » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:33 am

v 1.0 boards have a couple of issues but they are documented in the build doc on the e-licktronic website.

heapish
Veteran Wiggler

Post by heapish » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:51 pm

ratsnake wrote:v 1.0 boards have a couple of issues but they are documented in the build doc on the e-licktronic website.
Brilliant. Fixes already built into build doc. I better get stuff ordered/printed.

Gonna try find metal pots and maybe build in some mods too

Numanoid92
Common Wiggler

Post by Numanoid92 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:54 pm

IS there someone in europe who can build one? i have no clue on soldering and so on :D
It seems to me that you're the expert, Mark.

M-Circus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by M-Circus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:23 pm

GryphonP3 wrote:
I had a 909 and sold it when I built my first Nava. The only complaint I have against it is that it cannot be played via MIDI as a sound module yet. I generally like to sequence all my drums from my Cirklon (or like to be able to at least) and its currently impossible to play Nava notes via MIDI, unless its been updated very recently.

Soundwise, it left me feeling very little value for what a real 909 is worth.
I'm seriously considering getting one of these now. Just thought I'd check in and see if you (and others for that sake) are still happy with it. Considering you've also owned a "real" one, your opinion would be valuable.

From what I can gather, the general consensus seems to be that this is a pretty spot on clone as far as the actual sound goes. The sequencer is obviously a bit different. What I haven't quite managed to figure out is whether the Nava sequencer is just an improvement, or whether something has been lost compared to the original. Are there any advantages at all with the TRa-909 one?.

I've never used a TR-909 in person, so just trying to get a clear picture her, before pulling the trigger.

BedroomMusic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BedroomMusic » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:25 pm

Numanoid92 wrote:IS there someone in europe who can build one? i have no clue on soldering and so on :D

Hi :razz: i can build one :) i finish one for me :mrgreen:

abelovesfun
Ultra Wiggler

Post by abelovesfun » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:48 pm

I'm finishing my second one to sell. The sound is 100% spot on. My buddy has a 909 and he agrees. The PCBs are a little futzy, so I would call it an expert level build. The sequencer is just like the 909, there is just some extra stuff baked in, but for straight ahead pattern sequencing it is 100% the same.
Super Easy, Awesome DIY kits @ http://www.aisynthesis.com
modular ambient and composery music @ http://www.forcedamage.com/
https://www.facebook.com/forcedamagemusic

jesselucas
Common Wiggler

Post by jesselucas » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:37 pm

Does the Nava support different lengths per track?

jesselucas
Common Wiggler

Post by jesselucas » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:01 am

jesselucas wrote:Does the Nava support different lengths per track?
Seems to be a planned featured! :yay:

http://www.e-licktronic.com/forum/viewt ... =25&t=1324

efexx
Common Wiggler

Post by efexx » Sun May 14, 2017 9:28 am

Hi, anybody who can build me this bad boy ? I am based in Hamburg, Germany.

Cheers,
Pete

KlangGenerator
Common Wiggler

Post by KlangGenerator » Sun May 14, 2017 4:25 pm

efexx wrote:Hi, anybody who can build me this bad boy ? I am based in Hamburg, Germany.

Cheers,
Pete
PM sent!

Haterade
Common Wiggler

Post by Haterade » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:06 am

How brutal is the build on this?

If I've built a number of DIY eurorack kits with no issues, will I still struggle big-time on this one?
"Don't shun the world, shed it"

cranleigh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cranleigh » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:06 pm

Haterade wrote:How brutal is the build on this?

If I've built a number of DIY eurorack kits with no issues, will I still struggle big-time on this one?
I am no expert and built both this and the Yocto without too many problems. If you take your time and double-check everything, it is totally doable. Vincent is helpful with build support emails as well.

LED-man
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LED-man » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:28 pm

cranleigh wrote:
Haterade wrote:How brutal is the build on this?

I am no expert and built both this and the Yocto without too many problems. If you take your time and double-check everything, it is totally doable. Vincent is helpful with build support emails as well.

Except the firmware.. a lot of bugs
################################
TTSH Support Page and other DIY Projects:
https://www.DSL-man.de

Haterade
Common Wiggler

Post by Haterade » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:44 pm

I know this is a difficult question to answer, but: Was it a fun build?

peloazul
Common Wiggler

Post by peloazul » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:14 pm

I'm about halfway through building mine (HT), and I'm not sure I would call it "fun".

I think if you are capable of building it easily then the instructions are largely superfluous. You simply follow the BOM by section. There's not a lot of testing to do until you get to the end. If there were, I think it would be more rewarding. Otherwise, it's a gigantic sunk cost if you F up!

The mistake I've made along the way is to (multiple times) bend the SIP opamps in the top-right corner. Be careful when you are flipping it over!

Ok, maybe it's fun. Certainly fun when it's finished :ripbanana:

Haterade
Common Wiggler

Post by Haterade » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:30 pm

I you make a mistake/blow it on something, how hard is it to work your way back to a workable final product?

cranleigh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cranleigh » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:48 pm

Haterade wrote:I you make a mistake/blow it on something, how hard is it to work your way back to a workable final product?
I think it is pretty workable: worst case scenario is that you have to take/send it to a tech who can troubleshoot it. But the various drum sounds all exist in different areas of the board in largely discrete form, so if you mess up one, it should have no bearing on the rest. My Yocto rimshot, for example, was only working intermittently, and eventually I gave up troubleshooting it and brought it to a tech who realized that one of the op-amp sockets was dodgy. But the rest of the machine worked like a treat. I had a problem with my Nava ride that turned out to be a bad EEPROM that Vincent replaced at no charge. Again, this problem didn't interfere with any of the other sounds. So if you are particularly careful and methodical in building the power supply, master, sequencer, etc. sections, I imagine you will be fine.

cranleigh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cranleigh » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:53 pm

My other piece of advice: in the Nava, I used headers and these cables to connect the two PCBs:
https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/f-f-splitt ... mper-wire/

with headers like these:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ha ... ksEALw_wcB

I found with the Yocto that soldering individual wires for each connection ended up being a giant pain in the ass: over time, several of them came loose and I had to resolder them a lot. It was a lot easier to use the above.

bentchamber
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bentchamber » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:03 pm

I need a case for this who has leads?

peloazul
Common Wiggler

Post by peloazul » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:42 pm

I bought my case from Kacper, over on the e-licktronic forums. There is a post called NAVA ENCLOSURE 2nd batch. I don't remember it being expensive, but it sure wasn't a rush job either. Quality is great though! I can snap a photo if you are curious.

donttouchmyrice
Learning to Wiggle

Post by donttouchmyrice » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:41 am

bemerritt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bemerritt » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:16 pm

Is the PDF BOM that states "v1.0l 1287 parts" the most up to date and what I should be using for the 1.02 board?

THanks

edit: and the build guide for that matter. I assume it is all still relevant

donttouchmyrice
Learning to Wiggle

Post by donttouchmyrice » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:27 pm

bemerritt wrote:Is the PDF BOM that states "v1.0l 1287 parts" the most up to date and what I should be using for the 1.02 board?

THanks

edit: and the build guide for that matter. I assume it is all still relevant
Mine's the v1.02 version. I don't think much has been changed on the PCB of later versions after 1.02.
I havent' got a BOM from that time..
The quickest way to get you sorted is just send an email to e-licktronic themselves, Vincent's often quick in answering. That way you'll be sure getting the right answer to your question

Return to “Music Tech DIY”