ornaments+crimes extended / polymorphic 4x16bit CV generator

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Post Reply
User avatar
henrry
Common Wiggler
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 11:31 am
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Post by henrry » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:48 pm

Hello.

I just built 3 uO_C but have a problem with one of them.

Trying to calibrate the CV inputs on this unit it appeard that channel one has a huge amount of jitter that doesn't allow me to calibrate it properly.

In the debug menu CV1's first column reads 3 digits of flipping positive and negative values... these values are then added and substracted to the second column...

Where the hell can this come from? :help:

User avatar
TechnoPrisoner
Common Wiggler
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:14 am

Post by TechnoPrisoner » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:18 pm

you probably need to reflow somewhere, had the same issue and a general reflow solved it.Start with passives and if its not fixed then reflow the IC's
henrry wrote:Hello.

I just built 3 uO_C but have a problem with one of them.

Trying to calibrate the CV inputs on this unit it appeard that channel one has a huge amount of jitter that doesn't allow me to calibrate it properly.

In the debug menu CV1's first column reads 3 digits of flipping positive and negative values... these values are then added and substracted to the second column...

Where the hell can this come from? :help:

User avatar
henrry
Common Wiggler
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 11:31 am
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Post by henrry » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:47 am

Ok.
I simply tryed to push most of the components involved in the CV input circuit against the PCB as a fast test but with no result.
I'll try to reflow them.
Thanx!!

toneburst
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 844
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 2:41 pm
Location: London

Post by toneburst » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:36 am

Any UK wigglers have a spare DAC8565 or 2 I can buy from them?

They seems to be unobtainium here, now, sadly, and I'm reluctant to fork out for international delivery, just for that specific part.

a|x

User avatar
henrry
Common Wiggler
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 11:31 am
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Post by henrry » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:03 pm

TechnoPrisoner wrote:you probably need to reflow somewhere, had the same issue and a general reflow solved it.Start with passives and if its not fixed then reflow the IC's
henrry wrote:Hello.

I just built 3 uO_C but have a problem with one of them.

Trying to calibrate the CV inputs on this unit it appeard that channel one has a huge amount of jitter that doesn't allow me to calibrate it properly.

In the debug menu CV1's first column reads 3 digits of flipping positive and negative values... these values are then added and substracted to the second column...

Where the hell can this come from? :help:
The 100 Ohms of the CV In circuit was simply out of place :hihi: :doh:

User avatar
aragorn23
Common Wiggler
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:02 am
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Contact:

Post by aragorn23 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:40 am

I have a very strange problem - not sure if it's DIY-related or computer related.

If program a Teensy with o_c or Hemisphere, unplug it from USB and test it in my rack it works perfectly. If I then plug it back into my PC, the device is not detected (i.e. the light on the Teensy doesn't go on, teensy.exe doesn't detect the device, etc.) I've tested this with two computers and two Teensy's and I have absolutely no idea what is happening.

Has anyone else experienced this?

pld
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 939
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:15 am
Location: Germany

Post by pld » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:55 am

aragorn23 wrote:I have a very strange problem - not sure if it's DIY-related or computer related.

If program a Teensy with o_c or Hemisphere, unplug it from USB and test it in my rack it works perfectly. If I then plug it back into my PC, the device is not detected (i.e. the light on the Teensy doesn't go on, teensy.exe doesn't detect the device, etc.) I've tested this with two computers and two Teensy's and I have absolutely no idea what is happening.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Is that with the power trace cut, i.e. Teensy powered by the module?

User avatar
aragorn23
Common Wiggler
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:02 am
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Contact:

Post by aragorn23 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:14 am

pld wrote:
aragorn23 wrote:I have a very strange problem - not sure if it's DIY-related or computer related.

If program a Teensy with o_c or Hemisphere, unplug it from USB and test it in my rack it works perfectly. If I then plug it back into my PC, the device is not detected (i.e. the light on the Teensy doesn't go on, teensy.exe doesn't detect the device, etc.) I've tested this with two computers and two Teensy's and I have absolutely no idea what is happening.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Is that with the power trace cut, i.e. Teensy powered by the module?
It does seem to be specific to Teensy's with the trace cut. I've tested it on some without the traces cut (I have a bunch of them) and they work fine after programming. The two with cut traces are exhibiting the issue.

User avatar
aragorn23
Common Wiggler
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:02 am
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Contact:

Post by aragorn23 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:15 am

Oh wait... Does the cut trace mean the Teensy is no longer able to be powered via USB?

pld
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 939
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:15 am
Location: Germany

Post by pld » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:22 am

aragorn23 wrote:Oh wait... Does the cut trace mean the Teensy is no longer able to be powered via USB?
Yep.

User avatar
aragorn23
Common Wiggler
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:02 am
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Contact:

Post by aragorn23 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:24 am

pld wrote:
aragorn23 wrote:Oh wait... Does the cut trace mean the Teensy is no longer able to be powered via USB?
Yep.
Well, that's an hour of my life I'll never get back :doh:

Can't believe I didn't think of that immediately!

User avatar
cyklopljud
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 366
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:23 am
Location: Denmark

Format agnostic O&C PCB

Post by cyklopljud » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:05 am

Hi all,
I was wanting to build a dual 5U version of O&C and I was looking for a format agnostic O&C PCB, as in without onboard jacks, a jack breakout header instead. Has anyone laid one out?
Thanks.

User avatar
mxmxmx
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2243
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 1:54 am
Location: berlin

Re: Format agnostic O&C PCB

Post by mxmxmx » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:08 am

cyklopljud wrote:Hi all,
I was wanting to build a dual 5U version of O&C and I was looking for a format agnostic O&C PCB, as in without onboard jacks, a jack breakout header instead. Has anyone laid one out?
Thanks.
fwiw, there's this (5U rather than "format agnostic"): https://freestatefx.com/collections/fre ... oducts/108 ... though they didn't, it seems, release the hardware files (as per the license they should, so feel free to prod them)

also i believe there's a 4U version in the works by dksynth, which might work for you or not.

User avatar
cyklopljud
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 366
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:23 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Format agnostic O&C PCB

Post by cyklopljud » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:58 am

mxmxmx wrote:
cyklopljud wrote:Hi all,
I was wanting to build a dual 5U version of O&C and I was looking for a format agnostic O&C PCB, as in without onboard jacks, a jack breakout header instead. Has anyone laid one out?
Thanks.
fwiw, there's this (5U rather than "format agnostic"): https://freestatefx.com/collections/fre ... oducts/108 ... though they didn't, it seems, release the hardware files (as per the license they should, so feel free to prod them)

also i believe there's a 4U version in the works by dksynth, which might work for you or not.
Thanks for the reply mxmxmx,
Yeah I saw FSFX version, no files as of yet.
I'll keep my eyes open for the 4U
I started DIY with Ken Stone boards so I rather like the idea PCBs can fit behind anything, of and with standoff mounting holes :-)
O.

User avatar
oudplayer
Common Wiggler
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:12 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

struggling with getting this up and running...

Post by oudplayer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:38 pm

I'm not sure if this thread or the uO_c thread is the better place to post, but since it's build related I thought I'd try here perhaps. I got the uO_c kit from synthcube with the surface mount stuff already installed, since I'm normally fine with soldering on jacks and such and have done 500 series audio stuff from kits before without any issues. So I put the uO_c together, flux cleaner and 91% alcohol cleaning, flashed the hex file, that all went fine, but when I power it on the OLED doesn't light up at all. The teensy, when powered from the 10 pin, flashes once a second unless I press the reset button (perhaps this is normal? I don't know).

I've read through most of this thread, the 80-page one, the 7-page uO_c one, and of course the website, but don't see exactly this problem and hoping to get a clue about the next thing I should try/test. I don't have the best multimeter (Fluke 75), but should be able to get at least a rough measurement of things.

Image

Image

Image

Many thanks for your suggestions!

pld
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 939
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:15 am
Location: Germany

Re: struggling with getting this up and running...

Post by pld » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:03 am

oudplayer wrote:I'm not sure if this thread or the uO_c thread is the better place to post, but since it's build related I thought I'd try here perhaps. I got the uO_c kit from synthcube with the surface mount stuff already installed, since I'm normally fine with soldering on jacks and such and have done 500 series audio stuff from kits before without any issues. So I put the uO_c together, flux cleaner and 91% alcohol cleaning, flashed the hex file, that all went fine, but when I power it on the OLED doesn't light up at all. The teensy, when powered from the 10 pin, flashes once a second unless I press the reset button (perhaps this is normal? I don't know).

I've read through most of this thread, the 80-page one, the 7-page uO_c one, and of course the website, but don't see exactly this problem and hoping to get a clue about the next thing I should try/test. I don't have the best multimeter (Fluke 75), but should be able to get at least a rough measurement of things.
IIRC the LED on the Teensy is usually pretty much on all the time. You should at least check all the supply rails are correct (someone should have a diagram for the uo_C but I don't even have a physical one) and that the OLED is getting power (GND/VCC) but the other pins are signals aren't constant. You might see about ~1.6V or so on CLK/MOSI. And there's always the possibility of a dead OLED.

User avatar
Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3401
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:13 pm
Location: Meesheegan

Post by Altitude909 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:30 am

>The teensy, when powered from the 10 pin, flashes once a second unless I press the reset button (perhaps this is normal? I don't know).

No, that's not normal. It should flash once and then go dim. Sounds like there is some upload issue, did you build the hex or used the compiled one? Did you cut the power trace before or after flashing? The flashing means no code

User avatar
oudplayer
Common Wiggler
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:12 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Post by oudplayer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:55 pm

Thanks so much for the help, I'll look into these things this weekend. I figured the flashing teensy wasn't normal... I used the compiled hex and the Teensy app for mac osx, and it appeared to upload just fine. Tried a couple different versions just in case (1.3.3b and 1.3.4), but I'm assuming it's "user error" on my end.

Very excited to get the o_C up n running, and based on what I've seen it used for in other racks am thinking I'll need at least one running the classic firmware, 1 running hemisphere, and maybe I'll mess around with my own coding for a 3rd (but that'll have to wait until I can actually make one).

User avatar
Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3401
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:13 pm
Location: Meesheegan

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:16 pm

when you plug the teensy in to the USB, does it identify it as a 3.2 and the firmware is 97% full? You should have it set to auto, press the button on the teensy and it should upload the firmware

User avatar
oudplayer
Common Wiggler
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:12 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Post by oudplayer » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:55 pm

Altitude909 wrote:when you plug the teensy in to the USB, does it identify it as a 3.2 and the firmware is 97% full? You should have it set to auto, press the button on the teensy and it should upload the firmware
Just looked into this; yes, when I plug the teensy into the USB I see 3.2 and 97% full (well, with a couple of the earlier firmwares I think one was 98%, but back on 1.3.4 now). Despite this, I have the same problem when I connect the module via the 10 pin header and usb is not connected—a flashing teensy. I'll try measuring voltages a bit later and report back with that, I'm hoping the problem's just a sloppy soldering joint.

I don't know if this makes much of a difference regarding anything, but the version of the teensy I have looked slightly different than the website pictures with one regard: it appeared that the trace had already been cut; well, at least, there was a black line on the board where the website shows a superimposed red line. I haven't plugged in the USB and 10 pin header at the same time so that shouldn't be a factor, right?

User avatar
forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:41 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by forestcaver » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:05 pm

oudplayer wrote:
Altitude909 wrote:when you plug the teensy in to the USB, does it identify it as a 3.2 and the firmware is 97% full? You should have it set to auto, press the button on the teensy and it should upload the firmware
Just looked into this; yes, when I plug the teensy into the USB I see 3.2 and 97% full (well, with a couple of the earlier firmwares I think one was 98%, but back on 1.3.4 now). Despite this, I have the same problem when I connect the module via the 10 pin header and usb is not connected—a flashing teensy. I'll try measuring voltages a bit later and report back with that, I'm hoping the problem's just a sloppy soldering joint.

I don't know if this makes much of a difference regarding anything, but the version of the teensy I have looked slightly different than the website pictures with one regard: it appeared that the trace had already been cut; well, at least, there was a black line on the board where the website shows a superimposed red line. I haven't plugged in the USB and 10 pin header at the same time so that shouldn't be a factor, right?
Hard to tell from your photos but your solder joints on the teensyheaders look quite suspect in the photo - especially theone below the usb port - a number look very cold - but it really is hard to see inthe photo....

User avatar
Catchthehare
Common Wiggler
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:06 am
Location: London

Post by Catchthehare » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:51 am

Hi all - I have a serious problem with my unit. It's been working perfectly the past 2 years, and I powered on my case a few days back (4ms row 40) and the system flickered on and off (only 4 modules in this small case and enough power). No smoke or sparks. Powered the case on again and all modules are working perfectly fine except O_C, whose screen doesn't power on now.

I've removed the unit and tried to power from another connector, and also via USB and computer. Still no screen. I connected a clock, CV and Osc to the in/outs and tried Copiermaschine with muscle memory, but the voltages are all over the place - a scrambled mess. The teensy seems to power and work just fine.

I have no idea how to start diagnosing this, other than I figure something is blown. I don't see any indications of blown fuses or capacitors, no burn smell either.

Any ideas guys? I hope this can be a quick resolder rather than selling it for spare parts.


Image
Image

[/img]

User avatar
mxmxmx
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2243
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 1:54 am
Location: berlin

Post by mxmxmx » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:05 am

Catchthehare wrote: I've removed the unit and tried to power from another connector, and also via USB and computer. Still no screen. I connected a clock, CV and Osc to the in/outs and tried Copiermaschine with muscle memory, but the voltages are all over the place - a scrambled mess. The teensy seems to power and work just fine.
are you 100% sure it's in ASR / "Copiermaschine" mode? scrambled mess might as well be what you'd see when, say, running the bytebeat stuff.

either way, first thing to do would be check the voltages (see here (+ scroll up a bit)), and take it from there. (if they're ok, you might just have to replace the display, hard to say)

User avatar
Catchthehare
Common Wiggler
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:06 am
Location: London

Post by Catchthehare » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:14 am

mxmxmx wrote:
Catchthehare wrote: I've removed the unit and tried to power from another connector, and also via USB and computer. Still no screen. I connected a clock, CV and Osc to the in/outs and tried Copiermaschine with muscle memory, but the voltages are all over the place - a scrambled mess. The teensy seems to power and work just fine.
are you 100% sure it's in ASR / "Copiermaschine" mode? scrambled mess might as well be what you'd see when, say, running the bytebeat stuff.

either way, first thing to do would be check the voltages (see here (+ scroll up a bit)), and take it from there. (if they're ok, you might just have to replace the display, hard to say)
Yep, it sounds exactly like Bytebeat. I'll check the voltages asap and report back.

User avatar
Catchthehare
Common Wiggler
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:06 am
Location: London

Post by Catchthehare » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:00 am

mxmxmx wrote: either way, first thing to do would be check the voltages (see here (+ scroll up a bit)), and take it from there. (if they're ok, you might just have to replace the display, hard to say)
Voltages all good. I can confirm it was a faulty screen. I found a replacement and everything works fine, thanks 8-)

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”