[IC] PRIZMA - 2 channel, 16 step sequencer with rainbow

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

daynehacks
Common Wiggler

Post by daynehacks » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:00 pm

I finally just watched the new prizma videos! I really hope the boards are backwards compatible! I would love to update mine, that new LFSR mode looks SUPER fun!!

heapish
Veteran Wiggler

Post by heapish » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:27 pm

Is there a way to determin the installed firmware?

isi909
Common Wiggler

Post by isi909 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:50 am

witch is a good software to load the hex. file for a mac computer
i have no clue about software and im struggling a bit wit the upload of the firmware

Thx dudes...

heapish
Veteran Wiggler

Post by heapish » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:29 pm

alangave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by alangave » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:06 am

Hello,
You can also buy cheap USBAPS programmer, available for 2-3 buck on the bay.
Regarding software, I'm on Windows/Linux, don't know a lot about mac, but seems there is a toll called "AVR Tools" for firmware upload.
Otherwise, if you are comfortable with command line, just use avrdude

shiftr
Common Wiggler

Post by shiftr » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:10 am

I build one and it's working.
I only can't get it in calibration mode.

When i press the top encoder on startup it turns into a flashlight and i can;t get it out of that.
I have to reflash the cip to get it working again.
What am i doing wrong?

toneburst
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toneburst » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:47 am

daynehacks wrote:I finally just watched the new prizma videos! I really hope the boards are backwards compatible! I would love to update mine, that new LFSR mode looks SUPER fun!!
The Prizma+ firmware runs in a much more powerful 32 bit processor, so I doubt we’ll see the new features back-ported to the original Prizma.

Having said that, it may be possible to write an alternative shift-register firmware that would run on the older hardware. You’d have to start from scratch though, as neither firmware versions are open-source, as far as I know.

a|x

nevetsokyeron
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nevetsokyeron » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:17 pm

Emailed dev at 2 different addresses about ordering a Prizma+ PCB, but no response yet - it's been a coupe weeks. :(

Maybe just a holiday season thing?

nevetsokyeron
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nevetsokyeron » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:09 am

Anyone got a working Prizma+ ?

I'm just finished building and trying to figure out its modes, etc.

However, my LED colors do not match those in the user guide. Would like to find out if this is normal or due to some janky LEDs or ???

auxren
Veteran Wiggler

Post by auxren » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:33 am

nevetsokyeron wrote:Anyone got a working Prizma+ ?

However, my LED colors do not match those in the user guide. Would like to find out if this is normal or due to some janky LEDs or ???
It took me a bit to figure it out, but, I believe you are in a different mode.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:54 am

have a video of what you're doing? there's a cheat sheet around here that you could use. try running a sequence and adjust parameters to see what changes are happening.

like holding down the top encoder, first white page with a red led at the end changes sequence lenth. go over to the green page, change the quantization..

juicepatrol
Learning to Wiggle

Post by juicepatrol » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:30 pm

Does this module have any accent or cv outs by chance?

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:07 pm

CV and Trigger outs only.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

nevetsokyeron
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nevetsokyeron » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:19 pm

auxren wrote:

It took me a bit to figure it out, but, I believe you are in a different mode.
From testing I believe the blue and green emitters are swapped on the leds I got from eBay.

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Sun May 13, 2018 4:28 pm

I built two of the original Prizma sequencers a while back. One I had problems with at first, which required some ugly fixes. I sold both (along with most of my former setup). The buyer of the one that I had some problems with messaged me and said that he was only getting blue leds, so I refunded his money and set the module aside to check out some other time. I figured one of my bodges might have come loose in the mail (they hadn't).

I finally dug it out today and reprogrammed it. The rainbow came back...until the module was powered down. Then it goes back to the unprogrammed state on the next power up. Did I miss a setting, or is the chip possibly damaged? I don't know a lot about these things.

edit: Does the bootloader need to be reloaded before I load the Prizma hex?

auxren
Veteran Wiggler

Post by auxren » Sun May 13, 2018 8:04 pm

appliancide wrote:I built two of the original Prizma sequencers a while back. One I had problems with at first, which required some ugly fixes. I sold both (along with most of my former setup). The buyer of the one that I had some problems with messaged me and said that he was only getting blue leds, so I refunded his money and set the module aside to check out some other time. I figured one of my bodges might have come loose in the mail (they hadn't).

I finally dug it out today and reprogrammed it. The rainbow came back...until the module was powered down. Then it goes back to the unprogrammed state on the next power up. Did I miss a setting, or is the chip possibly damaged? I don't know a lot about these things.

edit: Does the bootloader need to be reloaded before I load the Prizma hex?
Did you program the fuses?

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Sun May 13, 2018 8:26 pm

auxren wrote: Did you program the fuses?
I did.

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Mon May 14, 2018 8:11 pm

What's really odd, is that if I plug the module into my laptop after it fails to boot, and read the 328p from avrdudess, it shows the correct fuse bits, and the prizma firmware in the flash memory. It just fails to boot correctly for some reason.

khyber
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khyber » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:15 am

Does anyone have a Mouser cart available for the Prizma+? I'm about to source parts for my build :)

nurbivore
Common Wiggler

Post by nurbivore » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:28 am

appliancide wrote:What's really odd, is that if I plug the module into my laptop after it fails to boot, and read the 328p from avrdudess, it shows the correct fuse bits, and the prizma firmware in the flash memory. It just fails to boot correctly for some reason.
I’m in the same boat as you. Fuses look fine but each flash only lasts one powercycle. So don’t worry, you’re not completely crazy.

I won’t be able to get back to it for a week or two, but I’ll post here if I sort it out.

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:31 am

nurbivore wrote:
appliancide wrote:What's really odd, is that if I plug the module into my laptop after it fails to boot, and read the 328p from avrdudess, it shows the correct fuse bits, and the prizma firmware in the flash memory. It just fails to boot correctly for some reason.
I’m in the same boat as you. Fuses look fine but each flash only lasts one powercycle. So don’t worry, you’re not completely crazy.

I won’t be able to get back to it for a week or two, but I’ll post here if I sort it out.
I have a Mouser order coming tomorrow with a spare 328p chip. I'm thinking about swapping out the chip and seeing if can program the new one using the module and the USBasp. If that doesn't work, I will cryogenically freeze the module in the hope that a future generation will be able to solve the riddle.

Mugsy1999
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mugsy1999 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:11 am

I've build a Prizma+, having some trouble getting the cv outs to work. Everything else on the module is fine, but no audio at either cv out. Even in quadra mode, no triggers on those outputs.

My suspects were the DAC8562 and the opamp following it. Reference voltages are good on the DAC, but only a constant 2.5V out at outA and B. The opamp is attenuating these properly I think. So I assumed I had damaged the DAC chip when soldering it, ordered another, but it has the same behaviour with the new chip.

:bang:

I put some sample code on the teensy to see if I could get the simplest possible output to work. Lifted some code from jcarruthers here: https://forum.pjrc.com/archive/index.php/t-26974.html

and sent continuously changing voltage levels to the DAC, plugged in my output and it works!

So now I have an intractable problem: the compiled firmware for this thing does not emit voltages correctly for whatever quirky setup I have, but I'm pretty sure my soldering and assembly is correct.

Used the OSH park teensy 3.2 ( https://store.oshpark.com/products/teensy-3-1 ) and the DAC8562 here ( https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/595-DAC8562TDGSR )

Any ideas? I can provide pics of the board if connections are suspect, but I have no oscilloscope to spy on the teensy -> dac communication.

Sadly Doboz has not replied to my emails..

Thanks for any help

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:25 pm

debugging a unit for a friend I got the same issue. I see the firmware sending data to the dac but the dac is mute :(

Mugsy1999
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mugsy1999 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:16 pm

Update: I've run through the calibration procedure, set all 14 steps to 0mv. They respond to the lower knob turning and calibrating the output.

Regular operation now produces 0v at each step rather than the uncalibrated 150mV I was seeing.

No doubt this will end with me discovering I'm doing something dumb.

nurbivore
Common Wiggler

Post by nurbivore » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:54 pm

appliancide wrote:
nurbivore wrote:

I have a Mouser order coming tomorrow with a spare 328p chip. I'm thinking about swapping out the chip and seeing if can program the new one using the module and the USBasp. If that doesn't work, I will cryogenically freeze the module in the hope that a future generation will be able to solve the riddle.
Mine is now intermittent. I turned it on today for the first time in a while, worked fine. Cycled the power, blue LED city. Did 3/4 more power cycles, and it came back, even had my presets. Totally bizarre.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”