[new module] DIY Weather Drones

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

eowave_paris
Common Wiggler

Post by eowave_paris » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:00 pm

flx wrote:
7C wrote:can someone tell me the exact depth? cheers!
Depth from front panel: 25 mm / 0,98 in, incl. attached power connector

dComposer wrote:Vertically? Is that a thing?
Yes, vertically is correct.

nciviero wrote:How solid is the pitch tracking on it?
About 2-3 octaves, although I didn't spend that much time calibrating it, so you might get a better result.

bommelito wrote: could one of you fellow wigglers post (or point me to) a photo of the assembled PCB, preferably of both sides?
Here you go:
I hope flx doesn't mind if I use this photo as an example here! If you look to the top right, D4, this is potentially a sign of a component that hasn't got enough solder. Solder should flow to the opposite side of the board and when you can see gaps like the ones on D4 it's a good place to start problem hunting. PLease don't plug in you pic chips before confirming the voltage is correct! They will fry super quick

dComposer
Common Wiggler

Post by dComposer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:18 pm

eowave_paris wrote: Not for the moment, we might be able to have a look soon. as suggested it's not intended as a traditional oscillator and was designed with noisier purposes in mind
Totally respect that answer. I built it with noisier purposes in mind too but the allure of another complete voice in my rack has me salivating! Cheers!

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:56 pm

eowave_paris wrote: I hope flx doesn't mind if I use this photo as an example here! If you look to the top right, D4, this is potentially a sign of a component that hasn't got enough solder. Solder should flow to the opposite side of the board and when you can see gaps like the ones on D4 it's a good place to start problem hunting. PLease don't plug in you pic chips before confirming the voltage is correct! They will fry super quick
Haha! Damn, you're right! :oops: I didn't even check the other side. I mean it's all working fine, but you're right that I should have soldered that better. I need a new iron/tip though. Mine is busted and only transmits enough heat on one or two small spots on the tip.
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

eowave_paris
Common Wiggler

Post by eowave_paris » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:28 am

Hi again all, I wanted to open up a bit of conversation to those of you who are Weather Drones users. What modules are you using it with? How would you like to see the design developed?

We have found a spring reverb works well in creating a very metallic resonator type sound

We are opening up the design to a small format that you might have seen, the Micro_Drones, and also a desktop unit which will be due to launch in a few weeks

Thanks for your response!
Intelligent machines for modern sound exploration

Jamnuska
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jamnuska » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:27 am

Small format! I just bought one and would have waited.

crap.

:bang:

eowave_paris
Common Wiggler

Post by eowave_paris » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:46 am

Jamnuska wrote:Small format! I just bought one and would have waited.

crap.

By small format I mean desktop, not eurorack, and not really the same feature set. Here's a simple demo

[video][/video]

dComposer
Common Wiggler

Post by dComposer » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:51 pm

That's so cool! I'll take one of each, please! :)

Regarding the weather_drone, like you, I have really only been using light reverb with it. It's been a really fun module for getting lost in the creation of aural chaos! Since it doesn't track v/oct too well, I haven't found much more use than what it's name implies. Sometimes I like to mix it in with another voice to add a bit of color like with pulling a stop on the upper manual of a pipe organ. If it tracked v/oct better then this would be an incredibly powerful, almost semi-modular, module - maybe you could tweak it in that direction? I'd definitely buy the upgraded "fix" if that became available.

Jamnuska
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jamnuska » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:51 pm

eowave_paris wrote:
Jamnuska wrote:Small format! I just bought one and would have waited.

crap.

By small format I mean desktop, not eurorack, and not really the same feature set. Here's a simple demo

[video][/video]
Ok you are forgiven then.

Cool.

eowave_paris
Common Wiggler

Post by eowave_paris » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:56 am

dComposer wrote:That's so cool! I'll take one of each, please! :)

Regarding the weather_drone, like you, I have really only been using light reverb with it. It's been a really fun module for getting lost in the creation of aural chaos! Since it doesn't track v/oct too well, I haven't found much more use than what it's name implies. Sometimes I like to mix it in with another voice to add a bit of color like with pulling a stop on the upper manual of a pipe organ. If it tracked v/oct better then this would be an incredibly powerful, almost semi-modular, module - maybe you could tweak it in that direction? I'd definitely buy the upgraded "fix" if that became available.
Thanks for the feedback! The desktop version will track, and have a built in sequencer amongst other goodies. As for tracking on the DIY module, I don't know if there will be an easy fix, I think we would have to work on another version with more parts which would be more expensive most likely

g3d9
Learning to Wiggle

Post by g3d9 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:49 pm

Searching for Weather Drones euro module...

Any Wigglers know where i might obtain one pre built?
or
Where the kit's are still available?

thankyou in advance.

:ghost:

albut
Common Wiggler

Post by albut » Thu May 11, 2017 1:35 am

Hi, I bought a Weather Drones kit about a month ago from Modularsquare in France. Here is a link. http://www.modularsquare.com/Eowave-DIY ... -s1850.htm

g3d9
Learning to Wiggle

Post by g3d9 » Thu May 11, 2017 3:21 am

albut wrote:Hi, I bought a Weather Drones kit about a month ago from Modularsquare in France. Here is a link. http://www.modularsquare.com/Eowave-DIY ... -s1850.htm
Thankyou for your prompt reply albut.

As modulargrid lists them as a retailer of the Weather Drones kit Modularsquare was one of the first places i looked and unfortunately found them to be 'out of stock' .

Will continue my search as it's imperative that i obtain this module.

:tu:

albut
Common Wiggler

Post by albut » Thu May 11, 2017 3:36 am

Didn't Modularsquare give you any idea when it would be in stock again?

g3d9
Learning to Wiggle

Post by g3d9 » Thu May 11, 2017 3:39 am

albut wrote:Didn't Modularsquare give you any idea when it would be in stock again?

Did not enquire, was looking with the intent of ordering asap.
Guess i will send a message and wait.

thanks again.

3loodJazz
1-Post Wiggler

Post by 3loodJazz » Wed May 17, 2017 4:30 pm

Just built my WD kit, and I tested the voltage on pins 27 and 28 and it's coming up 10 volts. Wondering if that's ok, and if it's not, what I should be looking for. I've gone over the soldering and everything looks fine, but I'm taking another look now.

Edit: I think I figured it out. I was using the multimeter incorrectly. :doh:

dcl1z
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dcl1z » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:36 pm

I have completely screwed this one up. I don't get 5v at 27 and 28. I get 6v at 25 and 26. I checked and rechecked my soldering then replaced the transistors thinking one might be bad, I tested each one before installing the new one. still the same, so I swapped out the op-amps. still the same. this one is killing me, any ideas?

thanks

cocco88
Common Wiggler

Post by cocco88 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:42 am

do you guys think is possible to "hack" it to add cv input over fold and spread?
UI/UX/Sound designer

eurorack + TenoriOn + Omnichord + giant church organ + old rusty piano

current
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/361810

selling / trading
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/389166

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:44 pm

cocco88 wrote:do you guys think is possible to "hack" it to add cv input over fold and spread?
It's a pity Spread doesn't have CV control. That looks like the most interesting control on this module. Maybe email eowave and ask if it can be done easily?

TheCoug
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TheCoug » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:51 am

Oh man, I just spent an hour decoding the data sheet for the Pic chip trying to figure out why the ground reference (pin 27) would want to read 5v. I read the test instructions as wanting both pins 27 and 28 to read 5v to ground.
For future builders: You're looking for a 5v reading BETWEEN pins 27 and 28.

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:19 am

I just picked up a pair of Weather Drones kits! :sb:

These will be easy for me to build. I will document my build with assembly tips and photos.

I am wondering if a schematic diagram is available? If not, I will draw one for my own use. Has anyone asked for this to be open source? Including the PIC program?

Thanks!
Richard
http://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:08 am

Richard

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

Muff McMuff
Veteran Wiggler

Re: [new module] DIY Weather Drones

Post by Muff McMuff » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:02 am

eowave_paris wrote:We have been working on a new DIY kit to support modularsquare at the Weather Festival in Paris this week. The Weather Drones is single voice digital oscillator featuring;

- triangle based oscillator with spread (adds more triangle waveforms), character (wave folder), FM in with attenuator
- analog filter with two mod inputs one which is attenuated
- AD envelope with level attenuation
- VCA
- LFO which is triangle or square out
- random noise function (driven by square lfo wave) which also has an attenuated slew output

A lot of the above is pre-patched so you don't have to obscure the module with cabling. It does noisy drones, slow pulsating drones and soundscapes, short envelope rhythmic noise

And a little video demo...

[video][/video]

Available from modularsquare priced 129€ http://www.modularsquare.com/Eowave-Weather-Drones-s1850.htm

Cheers!

Are these kits still in production? Any pcb and panels if the full kits are finished?

bisquick
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bisquick » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:45 pm

Hi all,

I'm building this currently and realize that I cannot find a schematic anywhere online. A friend of mine who attempted the build before me failed on a couple of vias and burned through the copper traces. I think that without a schematic to reference I might not be able to finish the build, as I need to know what these diodes originally connected to.

Any help?
Thanks!

b
Last edited by bisquick on Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:07 pm

bisquick wrote:Hi all,

I'm building this currently and realize that I cannot find a schematic anywhere online. A friend of mine who attempted the build before me failed on a couple of vias and burned through the copper traces. I think that without a schematic to reference I might not be able to finish the build, as I need to know what these diodes originally connected to. :P

Any help?
Thanks!

b
I've PM'd you with a partial schematic that shows the diodes.
Richard

bisquick
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bisquick » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:40 pm

hey, thanks a lot! This is very helpful.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”