Announce Thread: Magpie Modular - uBraids - Braids in 8 HP.

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3442
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:13 pm
Location: Meesheegan

Post by Altitude909 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:23 am

ZZ Ardoz wrote:..
T I had 2 bad ones in the last lot. And quite a few where the screen itself was really not put on straight enough to qualify as a good job. a bit disappoiniting. Will be making my own ones after this as well.
That and they keep jacking up the price. You'll want some heavy duty dual sided tape, I use the stuff that come with the window plastic you use for the winter (which may be rare in LA). You want it to be thin but strong.

Also: BuyDisplay=EastRising

I think their displays are brighter than what Adafruit uses (Raystars?) and at 3 $ a pop, a little easier than the $17.50 the adafruit are up to now

User avatar
ZZ Ardoz
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:12 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by ZZ Ardoz » Tue May 23, 2017 12:48 pm

Altitude909 wrote:
ZZ Ardoz wrote:..
T I had 2 bad ones in the last lot. And quite a few where the screen itself was really not put on straight enough to qualify as a good job. a bit disappoiniting. Will be making my own ones after this as well.
That and they keep jacking up the price. You'll want some heavy duty dual sided tape, I use the stuff that come with the window plastic you use for the winter (which may be rare in LA). You want it to be thin but strong.

Also: BuyDisplay=EastRising

I think their displays are brighter than what Adafruit uses (Raystars?) and at 3 $ a pop, a little easier than the $17.50 the adafruit are up to now
Awesone - that's super helpful, thanks for that

One of the things about adafruit is having to subsidize them having a big space smack in the middle of the most expensive real estate in the country. Had no idea they were on course to have a 50 million dollar year this year though. They saw that market and fueled it. Good business model. But having sloppy quality control is a surefire way to have others fill the gap.

kashi303
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:34 pm

Post by kashi303 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:18 pm

I bought a micro Braids v.2 PCB & Panels from Magpie.
And I bought some parts from Mouser and other.

But BOM link on magpie is v.1 yet.
https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/P ... 99499D4D20

Is there v.2 BOM anywhare?

I got information from DipTrace, 100n(C31,C32,C34,C35) & 22u(C33) capacitor is need in additionall. regarding L1 - L4 "BR3225T", which value (of Inductors) do I need?

User avatar
ZZ Ardoz
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:12 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by ZZ Ardoz » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:41 pm

kashi303 wrote:I bought a micro Braids v.2 PCB & Panels from Magpie.
And I bought some parts from Mouser and other.

But BOM link on magpie is v.1 yet.
https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/P ... 99499D4D20

Is there v.2 BOM anywhare?

I got information from DipTrace, 100n(C31,C32,C34,C35) & 22u(C33) capacitor is need in additionall. regarding L1 - L4 "BR3225T", which value (of Inductors) do I need?
Yes - Altitude909 posted it a while back up the thread - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

kashi303
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:34 pm

Post by kashi303 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:06 am

ZZ Ardoz wrote: Yes - Altitude909 posted it a while back up the thread - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Thank you!

User avatar
cosmikwolf
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:30 pm
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Post by cosmikwolf » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:44 pm

FYI I added the BOM to Octopart:

https://octopart.com/bom-tool/U9UeSTdV

double check before you order with it!
Based on this bom (with a few substitutions so you can order from mouser or digikey):

nwmatt
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:24 pm
Location: Houston

uBraids Display

Post by nwmatt » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:00 pm

Sorry for the noob question but I was trying to assemble my ubraids using bare display plus the pcb that adafruit posted. I can get a BOM from the eagle file for everything except for U2 which i don't know what part number to order. Eagle calls out: U2, SOT23-5 Small Outline Transistor, 5 pin. Would anyone happen to know the proper part number? Looking at a photo, the chip appears to have 133 on it

User avatar
Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3442
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:13 pm
Location: Meesheegan

Post by Altitude909 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:25 pm

U2 is a 3.3V regulator: RT9193-33GB

User avatar
amnesia
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7128
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:33 am
Location: 37 47 S 144 58 E

Post by amnesia » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:38 am

I just got 2 microbraids from Raph. Removing my MI Braids i see there is a 5v adapter connected to the power cable. Is the 5v adapter requried for the micro braids?

User avatar
ZZ Ardoz
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:12 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by ZZ Ardoz » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:54 am

amnesia wrote:I just got 2 microbraids from Raph. Removing my MI Braids i see there is a 5v adapter connected to the power cable. Is the 5v adapter requried for the micro braids?
No adapter needed

User avatar
nevetsokyeron
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 306
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:38 pm
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

U29

Post by nevetsokyeron » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:01 pm

(on v2 board) Does the dot on U29 go down - towards the electrolytic cap - or up - towards the pin header?

I *think* it goes down, but it's very hard to tell on my boards silkscreen.

Diptrace file on Magpie site is for v1, so no help there. (an I've yet to figure out how to view things properly in driptrace)

any help?

User avatar
ZZ Ardoz
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:12 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: U29

Post by ZZ Ardoz » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:44 pm

nevetsokyeron wrote:(on v2 board) Does the dot on U29 go down - towards the electrolytic cap - or up - towards the pin header?

I *think* it goes down, but it's very hard to tell on my boards silkscreen.

Diptrace file on Magpie site is for v1, so no help there. (an I've yet to figure out how to view things properly in driptrace)

any help?
dot indeed goes down!

User avatar
jgoney
Common Wiggler
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:00 am
Location: Helsinki

Re: U29

Post by jgoney » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:49 am

nevetsokyeron wrote:(on v2 board) Does the dot on U29 go down - towards the electrolytic cap - or up - towards the pin header?

I *think* it goes down, but it's very hard to tell on my boards silkscreen.

Diptrace file on Magpie site is for v1, so no help there. (an I've yet to figure out how to view things properly in driptrace)

any help?
For future reference, you can git clone the Magpie uBraids repo (from https://github.com/MagpieModular/microBraids), which does have the v2 DipTrace files. DipTrace kinda sucks (IMO), but it's still better than trying to hunt around and read silkscreens on that cramped-ass board.

Someone actually put in a pull request for a v2.0 build guide, but they don't seem to respond to pull requests for some reason.

User avatar
nevetsokyeron
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 306
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:38 pm
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

Post by nevetsokyeron » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:12 pm

Does anyone have extra OLED carrier pcbs they want to sell?

I bought two OLEDs on ebay, but just noticed today that the pin arrangement is different from the Adafruit board. :doh:

User avatar
nevetsokyeron
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 306
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:38 pm
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

Post by nevetsokyeron » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:41 pm

FWIW - I'm getting a few display pcbs from oshpark, so I went ahead generated a parts list, grabbed mouser part numbers and added the U2 mentioned above:

Partlist
Exported from Adafruit OLED 128x32 Mono.brd
Part Value Package Mouser Part# reference
C1 1.0uF 0805 603-CC805KKX7R9BB105
C2 1.0uF 0805 603-CC805KKX7R9BB105
C3 1.0uF 0805 603-CC805KKX7R9BB105
C4 1.0uF 0805 603-CC805KKX7R9BB105
C5 2.2uF 0805 81-GRM21BR71C225KA12
C6 2.2uF 0805 81-GRM21BR71C225KA12
C7 2.2uF 0805 81-GRM21BR71C225KA12
C8 0.1uF 0805 80-C0805C104K5R
R1 390K 0805 660-RK73H2ATTD3903F
U1 74HC4050D SOIC16 757-74HC4050DBJ
U2 REG LDO 3.3V SOT23-5 998-MIC5504-3.3YM5TR / 595-TLV70333DBVR
(Digikey: RT9193-33GB)

User avatar
thelizard
in it for the money
Posts: 1395
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Post by thelizard » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:06 am

Any more info on this Planks/Plancks/uFrames?



I can't believe that it's 8 HP!

User avatar
Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3442
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:13 pm
Location: Meesheegan

Post by Altitude909 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:39 am

Kris already announced it, dont know what his schedule is though. I will offer them built as well

senortorpedo
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 6:49 am
Location: Aachen

Post by senortorpedo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:26 am

cosmikwolf wrote:FYI I added the BOM to Octopart:

https://octopart.com/bom-tool/U9UeSTdV

double check before you order with it!
Based on this bom (with a few substitutions so you can order from mouser or digikey):
@cosmikwolf: The adafruit display is now directly available from mouser. Would you mind adding it to the BOM?
Part#: 485-661

User avatar
nevetsokyeron
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 306
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:38 pm
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

V2 Schematic?

Post by nevetsokyeron » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:19 pm

Is there a V2 Schematic available?

EDIT #1 - I'm dumb. someone above mentioned it's on the Github now. Trying to make sense of it is another matter.

My problem: I've got one working fine and a second where the tuning (Coarse/Fine) knobs aren't doing anything.

EDIT #2 - SOLVED! Bad solder joint on the Coarse pot.

madsox
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:11 pm

Post by madsox » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:19 am

My Tall Dog µBraids SE arrived today, and I'm finding it doesn't fit in either of my cases. The PCB is too high to fit between the rails.

At first I assumed it was the rails in my wooden case, but I tried a standard Pittsburg Modular skiff with the same results: https://imgur.com/a/fK7oj (It's actually worse than this when it's perpendicular to the rails.)

Has anyone else come across this? I've contacted Tall Dog on Tindie, but given the time I've waited and cost it's pretty disappointing.

UPDATE: The seller contacted me acknowledging the defect and said they're working on a revised version. The downer is I'll have to send it back and wait 4-8 weeks.

(Hope I'm posting this in the right place..)
Last edited by madsox on Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1739
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:11 am
Contact:

Post by av500 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:30 am

madsox wrote:My Tall Dog µBraids SE arrived today, and I'm finding it doesn't fit in either of my cases. The PCB is too high to fit between the rails.

At first I assumed it was the rails in my wooden case, but I tried a standard Pittsburg Modular skiff with the same results: https://imgur.com/a/fK7oj (It's actually worse than this when it's perpendicular to the rails.)

Has anyone else come across this? I've contacted Tall Dog on Tindie, but given the time I've waited and cost it's pretty disappointing.

(Hope I'm posting this in the right place..)
judging from the pictures posted on their Tindie, the top clearance is only about 6.5mm, this is clearly not enough. a Eurorack module should have around 9mm of clearence for top and bottom rails. the only rails this might work with are the very narrow Vectror rails... I'd return it.

madsox
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:11 pm

Post by madsox » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:39 am

av500 wrote:judging from the pictures posted on their Tindie, the top clearance is only about 6.5mm, this is clearly not enough. a Eurorack module should have around 9mm of clearence for top and bottom rails. the only rails this might work with are the very narrow Vectror rails... I'd return it.
You've got a good eye. Measured with digital callipers it's 6.34mm top and 6.89mm at the bottom. Thanks for the suggestion. Just paid 60 quid for VAT and duty too. :-(
Last edited by madsox on Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1739
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:11 am
Contact:

Post by av500 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:42 am

madsox wrote:
av500 wrote:judging from the pictures posted on their Tindie, the top clearance is only about 6.5mm, this is clearly not enough. a Eurorack module should have around 9mm of clearence for top and bottom rails. the only rails this might work with are the very narrow Vectror rails... I'd return it.
You've got a good eye. Measured with digital callipers it's 6.34mm top and 6.89mm at the bottom. Thanks for the suggestion. Just paid 60 quid for VAT and duty. :-(
I have Gimp, it measured for me :)

ask for a refund, this is clearly not a Eurorack module. you might even get your money back from customs if you return it otherwise I would ask it from the seller.

madsox
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:11 pm

Post by madsox » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:49 am

av500 wrote:I have Gimp, it measured for me :)

ask for a refund, this is clearly not a Eurorack module. you might even get your money back from customs if you return it otherwise I would ask it from the seller.
Ha, that's some pro-level measurement. I've contacted the seller so hoping he'll be accommodating. Thanks again.

User avatar
Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3442
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:13 pm
Location: Meesheegan

Post by Altitude909 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:01 am

You should really post stuff like this in another thread, we have nothing to do with that group and this thread is for the Neutron Sound uBraids, not that thing

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”