Announce Thread: Magpie Modular - uBraids - Braids in 8 HP.

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:15 am

So I finally managed to get all of the pots working and all of the other jacks. Except now the trigger doesn't really work and also the screen is still all zeros.

mqmq
Common Wiggler

Post by mqmq » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:46 am

Hi ! I'm trying to upload the code for the uBraids OLED but no success, i get a dead screen. Sound is OK though. I tried uploading Adafruit's example sketch to check if the screen or the Atmega were dead but it works great, i have the logo and then the screensaver. So no bad screen or Atmega. I can't figure out what i did wrong though as i used the same procedure for the example sketch and the uBraids code. Any leads ? Thanks !

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:18 pm

I have a uBraids v2 and a cp2102 USB to UART and a USBAVR 2.0. I tried installing an alternate firmware via audio but have been getting failures all day, so I was looking to install the hex file via JTAG or FTDI. The instructions that have you use vagrant have everything set up for the official firmware so im not sure how to just dump on a hex file i already have? Should i buy a ST Link v2 and wait for that?

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:22 am

Well there is no serial interface on the V2 and the processor is an ARM part, not AVR so you're going to need the STlink

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:38 am

Altitude909 wrote:Well there is no serial interface on the V2 and the processor is an ARM part, not AVR so you're going to need the STlink

Ahhh good to know, that explains that :doh:

This video gave me some confidence. I need to figure out how to get the non-official ST Link v2 connected to the JTAG-SWD adapter but it seems like it's just a matter of matching the pinouts. Wish me luck....

(edit: okay you got me man, i ordered the ARM-USB-OCD-H :yay: )
Last edited by sutekina bipu-on on Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:18 pm

Just get the real one and the olimex adapter, it will save you major headaches for all of $10 extra

sicpaul
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Announce Thread: Magpie Modular - uBraids - Braids in 8 HP.

Post by sicpaul » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:13 pm

After a long time i struggled over my 2 unfinished uBraids (v1). They are sounding well, but had no displays which i ordered inbetween.

Since i lost my original documentation and the build is too long ago to remember i do have some questiones before i try to get the OLEDs work:

1. Should the OLED are illuminated in any way, even if there is no bootloader on Atmega and/or program?
(At the moment they keep dark when powering the modules).

2. Which header is for Atmega (6 in a row or double three)?

3. The 2 buttons are for the STM32, right?

Thanks for help

kasselvania
1-Post Wiggler

Post by kasselvania » Tue May 26, 2020 4:32 pm

Got some questions about the microbraids build. On my PCB, when applying one of the IC's, some of the copper was exposed on IC10. It appears that they all now short and couldn't tell on the schematics if that made an issue that would prevent sound (flashed firmware, not getting any sound...)

Here's a pic:
IMG_2722.jpeg
Any tips on if this will effect it? On the schematics, it doesn't look like an issue...

As well, which button is which on the back? I can't figure out what to do about them...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

amir
Common Wiggler

Post by amir » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:36 pm

I built one of these around two years ago and had been working perfectly until a few days ago when the screen suddenly shut off. I saw it actually turn off as the case was on. I ran the test Adafruit hex and the screen is working on its own. I had extras of all the components for the screen so I went ahead replaced them all. I originally attempted reflowing them but that didn’t make a difference. The screen still didn’t come on. I checked around the stm and reflowed it as well. Still nothing.

Everything else is working still, I can edit sounds from memory but no screen. I checked the input signals at the 595s but not getting anything there. My scope lead isn’t fine enough to measure at the stm but I think that pin on the stm just died and isn’t outputting anything. Is this possible?

I unfortunately don’t have any extra stm to test out and will have to order them but just wanted to make sure before I unsolder it. Anyone else experience anything like this? My board didn’t have any shorts. I want to make sure this doesn’t happen again in 2 years because of the stupid oled. I was thinking about just buying a full size braids board and transferring everything over.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”