Division 6 DIY Business Card Sequencer

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:25 pm

You could replace it, but it might make more sense to add a jack in addition to the switch. Use a 2N3904 to pull towards ground and you'd be all set, at least I believe it is just pulled to ground, but I would have to check it out.

Scottzilla
Common Wiggler

Post by Scottzilla » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:00 pm

Quick build question: The buttons can be placed in any direction that fits or there is a specific position?
Any direction that fits. There should be 2.

Could I solder a wire from the postive and negative clock led to an extra connector to have a clock out from the sequencer when operating from the internal tempo?
Unfortunately this won't work. All the LEDs and buttons are connected as a giant matrix, so while it looks like the LED is on solid during half the clock cycle it's actually pulsing very fast. There's not really a good way to get the internal clock out (unless you use the gate out). The internal clock was kind of an afterthought why not software mod.

Would it be possible to replace the reset switch with a jack socket?
Yes, as long as you use another switch (and not a voltage) to activate it. See above comment about matrix. If you wanted to use a voltage to activate it, you could add a transistor (like DSC said), but put it across the button pins (let me know if you actually want to do this and I'll work out the details).

What if someone accidently puts it on a metal table with the power connected?
:deadbanana: (The edge of my case is metal, so this comes up a lot)

Scottzilla
Common Wiggler

Post by Scottzilla » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:20 pm

For those of you wondering about Eurorack panels, this will be at NAMM. It uses a different PCB that's much easier to mount without modifying anything.

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:49 pm

Novel idea, I like it :tu:

Isaiah
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Isaiah » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:47 am

Scottzilla
Ace!
You added an Accent output? :tu:
What are the XP In/Out connections?

How will the new PCB(s) mount to the panel?
Is it dependent on the use of minijacks, or are there mounting holes for us banana folk?

Had some Real Life projects to finish, but I'll be tackling my BC sequencers soon. :bananaguitar:

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:34 pm

Scottzilla wrote:For those of you wondering about Eurorack panels, this will be at NAMM. It uses a different PCB that's much easier to mount without modifying anything.

So this will be a module and not just a front panel? Smart idea. How Much?
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

qfactor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by qfactor » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:30 pm

Scottzilla wrote:For those of you wondering about Eurorack panels, this will be at NAMM. It uses a different PCB that's much easier to mount without modifying anything.
How about those of us too far away to get to NAMM? Can we order these online? :despair:

mbroers
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mbroers » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:57 pm

looks sweet!

Scottzilla
Common Wiggler

Post by Scottzilla » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:04 am

Novel idea, I like it
Thanks!
You added an Accent output?
Yeah, it's kind of like a gate that turns on whenever that note plays. I figure people can use it to open up a filter or activate their glide or whatever.
What are the XP In/Out connections?
They're used to daisy-chain multiple sequencers together for almost infinite sequence length. They're normalled back to themselves by default, but you can patch them to each other or even additional modules.
How will the new PCB(s) mount to the panel?
The jacks hold it on.
Is it dependent on the use of minijacks, or are there mounting holes for us banana folk?
You could probably make bananas work with some modification. The only thing the switches in the jacks are really used for are the XP Out -> XP in connections, which you could just patch yourself. Also the top clock in cascades to the bottom one.
So this will be a module and not just a front panel? Smart idea. How Much?

Indeed, a whole entire module. The kit will probably be $90.
How about those of us too far away to get to NAMM? Can we order these online?
You bet! I'm just bringing a couple to NAMM to play with. You'll be able to get them from the Division 6 site and probably some dealers in February.

Isaiah
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Isaiah » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:25 pm

Scottzilla
Thanks for the explanation.

Regarding the dependency on minijacks, I meant are there mounting holes on the PCB so it can be attached to the front panel using standoffs?
Those of us who would choose to omit the mini jacks in favour of banana sockets might be a bit stuck otherwise...
Not pushing my own agenda :hihi: Just wondering if this is Euro-specific or more open in its format.

Scottzilla
Common Wiggler

Post by Scottzilla » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:28 am

Ah. The final boards will have 4 mounting holes so you could mount it to a panel without the 3.5mm jacks being installed (was already thinking about adding them, but your agenda pushed me over the edge!)

Isaiah
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Isaiah » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:36 am

Scottzilla
Fantastic! Thank you! :tu:

Could you tell us the dimensions of the PCB and the width (HP) of the module, please?
Will you be selling the PCBs and PICs like the first version, not just as a finished product? (I'll have to design my own panel anyway)

MalteseSynther
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MalteseSynther » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:28 pm

How about those of us too far away to get to NAMM? Can we order these online?
You bet! I'm just bringing a couple to NAMM to play with. You'll be able to get them from the Division 6 site and probably some dealers in February.
what about european distribution, please? Is it at all possible to start a waiting list?

with regards to operations, can this run in 2-ch parallel mode from one internal clock? Or perhaps an external clock in both of them?

Randy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Randy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:12 pm

A single version for me!

Randy

AonFLuX
Common Wiggler

Post by AonFLuX » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:28 pm

22$ for shipping a business card and small IC to Sweden... :bang:
No retail in Europe?

Scottzilla
Common Wiggler

Post by Scottzilla » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:11 pm

Isaiah wrote:Scottzilla
Could you tell us the dimensions of the PCB and the width (HP) of the module, please?
The module is 18HP wide. The PCB behind the panel measures 90mm x 110mm.
Isaiah wrote: Will you be selling the PCBs and PICs like the first version, not just as a finished product? (I'll have to design my own panel anyway)
Was going to do complete kits and finished modules. I suppose I could do just boards & PICs too.
what about european distribution, please? Is it at all possible to start a waiting list?
I'm hoping to get some European distributors carrying them. Had some good conversations about it at NAMM. In the mean time, I'll ship them directly to Europe for those that want.
with regards to operations, can this run in 2-ch parallel mode from one internal clock? Or perhaps an external clock in both of them?
The 2 sequencers are completely separate, so the internal clocks won't sync with each other. You can use an external clock to do what you want though. The top clock input is normalled to the second clock input, so with one cable you can provide the same clock to both sequencers. You can either use both RUN buttons to start them at the same time, or run a gate into both XP inputs to start them in sync.
Randy wrote:A single version for me!
I like it! :sb:
22$ for shipping a business card and small IC to Sweden... very frustrating
No retail in Europe?
Working on it! Shipping from me should be cheaper than that though. Send me an email!

qfactor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by qfactor » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:46 am

Sent you an email on your site! :nana:

Scottzilla
Common Wiggler

Post by Scottzilla » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:42 am

Kits are just about to start shipping!

http://division-6.com/products/dual-mini-sequencer.php

Oh, yeah, here's a little something for you banana folks:

All jack patterns are now 3.5mm / banana combo patterns. :banana:

qfactor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by qfactor » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:56 am

Do you sell the panel alone?

Isaiah
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Isaiah » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:55 am

Scottzilla
Excellent!
Could you post photo of the PCB and maybe a technical diagram showing the locations and diameters of all the panel holes and the mounting holes, please?

The combined banana/3.5mm footprints look good for this project as the PCB is only secured to the panel by the sockets, right?
Perhaps a better solution for projects that use mounting holes is the approach similar to that of Random*Source or Roman's 200r PCBs.
This is a hole in the PCB large enough for the banana socket to fit through, and this is then soldered to the PCB with a clipped resistor leg or a short wire.
The latter might be more forgiving when it comes to removing the PCB from the panel (the footprint you used would be pretty brutal so I will likely design my own panel and make use of the standoffs, then connect the bananas with flying wires.)

AonFLuX
Common Wiggler

Post by AonFLuX » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:12 am

Scottzilla wrote:
Working on it! Shipping from me should be cheaper than that though. Send me an email!
Ok, nice. Im gonna ask around here i Swe and see if I can get a groupbuy going. :)

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:50 pm

this kit looks fantastic and the price is just unbeatable!!

Deff going to be my next kit purchase

edit: how would you patch one to sequence and the other to transpose?
Last edited by southphillysynths on Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dcramer wrote:"Not all who wiggle are lost" :boat:
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

sixty_n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sixty_n » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:19 pm

The shipping has now been fixed ($13.50 for the kit to the UK)

Scottzilla
Common Wiggler

Post by Scottzilla » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:14 pm

I can if anybody wants just a panel.

Isaiah wrote: Excellent!
Could you post photo of the PCB and maybe a technical diagram showing the locations and diameters of all the panel holes and the mounting holes, please?
Sure! As soon as I make one...

Isaiah wrote: The combined banana/3.5mm footprints look good for this project as the PCB is only secured to the panel by the sockets, right?
Perhaps a better solution for projects that use mounting holes is the approach similar to that of Random*Source or Roman's 200r PCBs.
This is a hole in the PCB large enough for the banana socket to fit through, and this is then soldered to the PCB with a clipped resistor leg or a short wire.
The latter might be more forgiving when it comes to removing the PCB from the panel (the footprint you used would be pretty brutal so I will likely design my own panel and make use of the standoffs, then connect the bananas with flying wires.)
The PCB is secured to the panel by standoffs and jacks.

Yeah, that's the down side to soldering the bananas right to the board. You have to desolder to remove the board from the panel. I actually looked at doing them the way you suggested, but there wasn't room for holes big enough for the body of the banana jacks to go through. You can still mount the jacks off to the side and run wires if you want.
how would you patch one to sequence and the other to transpose
Use a mixer module to mix the two CVs, then feed that into your oscillator or whatever.

qfactor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by qfactor » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:30 am

Scottzilla wrote:
I can if anybody wants just a panel
I think you answered me about this already when I emailed you in your website.
Might be important to note that you mentioned that this version of the pcb is NOT THE sAME as the original version and has been changed to fit the Euro-panel.
Hence, to those who have made the 1st version, this panel doesn't *just* fit as Scott has also made some changes to this 2nd version.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”