Division 6 DIY Business Card Sequencer

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

grenert
Common Wiggler

Post by grenert » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:21 pm

Can daisy-chaining be retrofitted to the earlier boards?

Scottzilla
Common Wiggler

Post by Scottzilla » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:19 pm

qfactor wrote:
Scottzilla wrote:
Do you sell the panel alone?
I can if anybody wants just a panel
I think you answered me about this already when I emailed you in your website.
Might be important to note that you mentioned that this version of the pcb is NOT THE sAME as the original version and has been changed to fit the Euro-panel.
Hence, to those who have made the 1st version, this panel doesn't *just* fit as Scott has also made some changes to this 2nd version.
Indeed I did! I figured I'd write about it here too just in case someone else had the same question.

To clarify, the single business card sized sequencers haven't changed (much). The dual sequencer for Eurorack is a different PCB layout, so you can't just stick two single sequencers behind the Eurorack panel.

(note: I did look at doing it that way, but it would have been too hackish. Plus I got to add a couple features.)

Can daisy-chaining be retrofitted to the earlier boards?
Yes. You will be able to do it using those programming pads on the left edge of the board (add 2 jacks and 2 resistors). At some point I'll release an alternate firmware version that supports that.

Supervillain
Common Wiggler

Post by Supervillain » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:34 am

Hi Scott!

Just got mine in the mail today.

Everything works fine but i find the reset fonction a bit weird.

When running a sequence, pressing reset will stop the playback, waiting for a second press to go back to the 1st step, then a i have to press RUN again...

i think it due to daisy chain function, which isn't that usefull imo.
It takes 2 unity mixers to run a 32 step sequence. One for mixing CV's and one for mixing gates.
Or i don't get it?!

Something i would like to do is simply using the XP in as a reset input (which works in a way) but, like the reset button, stops the sequence playback at the end of a single cycle.

Another improvement would be the prossibility to edit the sequence during playback.

Anyway, good work!

br1qbat
Common Wiggler

Post by br1qbat » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:37 am

I just put my eurorack dual sequencer together friday night. It rocks. Lots of blinkies too. :yay: cool cool cool module. I dig the accent outs, with the 2 running the same clock, you can sequence bass, lead, and bd and hats all in one module. Cool beans :nana:

Silver
Common Wiggler

Post by Silver » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:45 am

Supervillain wrote: Everything works fine but i find the reset fonction a bit weird.

When running a sequence, pressing reset will stop the playback, waiting for a second press to go back to the 1st step, then a i have to press RUN again...

Something i would like to do is simply using the XP in as a reset input (which works in a way) but, like the reset button, stops the sequence playback at the end of a single cycle.

Another improvement would be the prossibility to edit the sequence during playback.
Just built mine as well and love it, however totally agree with the points above. The reset does not work like I would expect. editing during sequence playback would also be pretty great.

In any case, still an incredible and versatile module. the accent outs add amazing functionality.

Silver
Common Wiggler

Post by Silver » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:46 am

Also, is or will there be a manual? It looks like you can use an internal clock and adjust the tempo, but I couldn't figure out how to activate it once I had already used an external clock.

br1qbat
Common Wiggler

Post by br1qbat » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:28 pm

The reset does seems wonky. Sometimes sequencer 2.doesnt want to spit out notes.

Supervillain
Common Wiggler

Post by Supervillain » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:39 am

Silver wrote:Also, is or will there be a manual? It looks like you can use an internal clock and adjust the tempo, but I couldn't figure out how to activate it once I had already used an external clock.
Use the "step" buttons during playback to change the internal clock tempo

Stides
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Stides » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:15 pm

Built mine a couple weeks ago. There doesnt seem to be a manual, but if you read the business card sequencer page it describes the reset functions a bit better.
http://division-6.com/products/business ... uencer.php

tassie tiger
Common Wiggler

Post by tassie tiger » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:44 am

Would be great if this was retailed by Modular Addict with the options of:-
  • PCB only
    PCB + pre-programmed uC's
    PCB + pre-programmed uC's + Panel
    Full kit
Modular Addict have awesome shipping rates for those of us in the 'rest of world' zone.

TT

Scottzilla
Common Wiggler

Post by Scottzilla » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:13 am

Supervillain wrote:Hi Scott!

Just got mine in the mail today.
Sweet!
Supervillain wrote: Everything works fine but i find the reset fonction a bit weird.

Weird, it's supposed to stop the sequence and take you back to step 1 (without having to press it twice). I just tried it on a couple here and that's what it does. Curious...
Supervillain wrote: i think it due to daisy chain function, which isn't that usefull imo.
It takes 2 unity mixers to run a 32 step sequence. One for mixing CV's and one for mixing gates.
Or i don't get it?!
You get it just fine. The idea was to make them small, simple and cheap (and do the whole thing with one chip). I figured mixing gates and CVs could be done with external modules easily, but the daisy-chaining stuff needed to be implemented on the sequencers themselves.
Supervillain wrote: Something i would like to do is simply using the XP in as a reset input (which works in a way) but, like the reset button, stops the sequence playback at the end of a single cycle.
That's because the XP OUT is routed back to the XP IN via the switch in the XP IN jack, which is how it loops normally. When you hook something to the XP IN jack, you break that connection, so in order to have a reset in like you're thinking of you'd need to mix whatever trigger you are using with the XP OUT signal and then run them into XP IN. Again, not 100% ideal, but you can still get the desired effect by using a basic external module.
Supervillain wrote: Another improvement would be the prossibility to edit the sequence during playback.
I'll have to ponder that one!
Supervillain wrote:Anyway, good work!
Thanks! :hihi:
Silver wrote:The reset does not work like I would expect.
The reset button? Does yours just stop the sequence without going back to step 1 as well?
Silver wrote:Also, is or will there be a manual? It looks like you can use an internal clock and adjust the tempo, but I couldn't figure out how to activate it once I had already used an external clock.
Indeed there will be. You know, as soon as I, um, finish it... A lot of functions are like the business card sequencer, so here is a good place to start (like Stides said).

As far as bringing the internal clock back, hold the reset button for 1 second.

Knasterblem
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Knasterblem » Fri May 05, 2017 8:50 am

So I built one of the original business card sequencers. It works just like it´s supposed to. The only issue, the IC gets a little bit warm, but the transistor gets wicked hot, like you burn yourself touching it for a millisecond.:deadbanana:
I´ll probably put it behind a panel, but I don´t think it´s supposed to get that hot?
I only bought pcb and pic by the way. Also my pcb looks a little different then the others you see online.

ekim591
Learning to Wiggle

devision6 dual sequencer

Post by ekim591 » Tue May 30, 2017 3:23 am

hi, i ve built the devision 6 dual sequencer yesterday.
in my case the LEDs are too dark. does anyone have an idea how to make LEDs brighter (perhaps to change the resistor)?

regards Mike
En beten scheef hett Gott leef!

Scottzilla
Common Wiggler

Post by Scottzilla » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:27 pm

Knasterblem wrote:So I built one of the original business card sequencers. It works just like it´s supposed to. The only issue, the IC gets a little bit warm, but the transistor gets wicked hot, like you burn yourself touching it for a millisecond.:deadbanana:
I´ll probably put it behind a panel, but I don´t think it´s supposed to get that hot?
I only bought pcb and pic by the way. Also my pcb looks a little different then the others you see online.
Nope, definitely shouldn't be anything burny on the sequencer. :deadbanana: Check for shorts and things in backwards.

ekim591 wrote:hi, i ve built the devision 6 dual sequencer yesterday.
in my case the LEDs are too dark. does anyone have an idea how to make LEDs brighter (perhaps to change the resistor)?
You can make the resistors (R3-R7, R16-R20) a little smaller, but mostly the LEDs are dim because they run at such a low duty-cycle (only one LED per sequencer is ever on at a given time; this is so your power supply doesn't cry, and also so they wouldn't be too obnoxious).

bkbirge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bkbirge » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:15 pm

Finally got around to building this, fun easy afternoon build, only tricky part were some of the solder pads are pretty darn close, had to solderwick out a couple bridges. Fired right up, works great, love the xp out/in feature. Now I think I need another.

Modular & Dork Rock:
https://bkbirge.bandcamp.com/
Racks:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/88730
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/89177
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/379579

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." ~ Puck, 1903

keyofsalvador
Common Wiggler

Post by keyofsalvador » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:58 pm

Finally built my little sequencer gift from Knobcon last year, and it's awesome! I'm pretty new to soldering, and did a few practice kits before trying it, but now I feel like I can take on the world! Thanks Scott!!

Image[/img]

nervousapps
Learning to Wiggle

Get the PCB+PANEL kit but something is weird....

Post by nervousapps » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:36 am

Hi,
I bought the PCB+PANEL kit and ordered the components separately.
After all the components soldered I powered up the sequencer but it get a bit mad.

I can't find the 4931CZ50 so I took a 7805 voltage regulator (the 400mA).

Also how do you mount the bananas ? :sadbanana:

I can't put photos because I need to write at least two posts before, but I can send them.

Thanks for the help :)
:hail:

synthetek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synthetek » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:33 am

Is the code for the pic available to download? I got a PCB from someone and just finished building it the only thing I need is the pic.

strangegravity
A Big Knob

Post by strangegravity » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:36 am

I built mine but no joy. When I power it up multiple lights glow dimly and it doesn't respond to button pressing.

Any help troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

aphantomvaper
Common Wiggler

Post by aphantomvaper » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:52 am

strangegravity wrote:I built mine but no joy. When I power it up multiple lights glow dimly and it doesn't respond to button pressing.

Any help troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.
I have built 4 BCS. One works great, one will not move steps when run, but puts out CV and Gate when buttons are pressed, and two have the all lights glow dimly and do nothing issue.

The one that works is really cool. I socket mounted the controller though so the enclosure won't fit.

I have not contacted Division 6 yet though, so issues are probably my assembled errors. I would still recommend this kit as its a killer tiny sequencer that works with every Eurorack/tabletop piece of gear I tried it with. Good job Division 6!

strangegravity
A Big Knob

Post by strangegravity » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:22 pm

I messaged Division 6 a few weeks ago but no response.

aphantomvaper
Common Wiggler

Post by aphantomvaper » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:23 pm

strangegravity wrote:I messaged Division 6 a few weeks ago but no response.
I'd suggest going to their website and opening a trouble ticket. I did this and had a helpful response in a couple of days.
The only thing that stays the same is change

skautkurt
Common Wiggler

Post by skautkurt » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:18 pm

Hey people,

has anybody still got that component layout pdf for creating a diy panel? Can't access it on the Div6 website anymore.

Cheers

skautkurt
Common Wiggler

Post by skautkurt » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:53 am

Quick (and maybe) stupid question:

is it maybe possible (if you add the Reference Voltage source + Trimmer on some small extra board) to burn the firmware of the dual mini sequencer onto the Business card sequencer? They seem to be quite similar hardware wise (if not the same), and the extended octaves would be really nice to have.
If so how would one aquire and burn the firmware onto the PIC?

Thanks!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”