[pcb+panel] Ian Fritz 2x ad/ar envelope for eurorack (4hp)

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

joem
Ultra Wiggler

Post by joem » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:48 pm

NiteEagle wrote:I ended up getting mine from Mammoth.

https://www.mammothelectronics.com/coll ... ap-in-pots
Ah! Thanks... I totally forgot to check there (and other places like Small Bear).

Knasterblem
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Knasterblem » Tue May 02, 2017 5:00 pm

They look great. Are there still pcbs left? Or will there be another run? I´d take 4 :mrgreen:
Last edited by Knasterblem on Wed May 03, 2017 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

joem
Ultra Wiggler

Post by joem » Tue May 02, 2017 8:16 pm

Modular Addict sells the pcb with the panel: http://modularaddict.com/ian-fritz-2xadar-pcbpanel

Knasterblem
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Knasterblem » Wed May 03, 2017 8:21 am

Thanks, I´ll probably order them from modularaddict, although I don´t necessarily need the panels.

joem
Ultra Wiggler

Post by joem » Wed May 03, 2017 6:36 pm

Knasterblem wrote:Thanks, I´ll probably order them from modularaddict, although I don´t necessarily need the panels.
Email them and they might be able to just sell you PCBs. Not sure if they can, but it's worth a shot.

dubtoms
Common Wiggler

Post by dubtoms » Mon May 15, 2017 3:45 am

For those interested in this build but wary of finding a cheap source for 250k log pots : they are back in stock at tayda :party:

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/250k-oh ... b-9mm.html

qfactor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by qfactor » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:46 am

Just finished building 2 of these successfully. Not much issues with the exception that I ended up using 250k Lin pots instead (which wasn't much of a problem as well).

On testing it, I realized a good thing from the stated "limitation" is when you slow down the attack and reach this "limitation", what was good was that due to it not responding to all the gate/trigger, it created a change in rhythm!! :nana:
So with a turn of a knob, this can give a different rhythm that is still in sync!! This is great for live performances!
Good "accident" this! :tu:

lohacker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by lohacker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:42 pm

Anyone measured max/min time for attack and decay and how's the curve response of this envelope? Tempted to try it! 8-)

TimoRozendal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by TimoRozendal » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:04 pm

Sorry, I have not visited muff wiggler in a while and missed some replies.
I don't have these in stock at the moment, but Modular Addict has.

The envelope is logarithmic and the minimum attack time is ~4ms (which sounds very snappy with this curve)

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:26 pm

What voltage does this envelope output? 8v?

TimoRozendal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by TimoRozendal » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:55 am

hinterlands303 wrote:What voltage does this envelope output? 8v?
HI, it is approx 5v, but you can easily change it by adjusting r11 and r12.
Cheers
Timo

binary tubes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by binary tubes » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Possible to Explain?

You see on the Envelopes the same settings.
Gate is Normalized.

Grey Cable (on left) is Pitch form the VCO. It show 256 Hz.
Grey Cable (on right) is Pitch form the VCO. It show 515 Hz.

I have 2 Fritz Ian`s.
Same problem.

Same problem, too, if I connect the Gate on the right Plug.
Whats wrong please?

Thank you.

B0bcat
Wiggling with Experience

Re: [pcb+panel] Ian Fritz 2x ad/ar envelope for eurorack (4hp)

Post by B0bcat » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:55 pm

I've just built this off the Modularaddict kit (v 1.2b PCB) and I believe the direction the LEDs go in (which is unlabeled other than square vs round pad) was incorrect - in any case, apparently I decided to put them in the wrong way around and had to reverse them. Regardless LED orientation, channel 1 works as expected, but channel 2 puts out a constant voltage of -5V, no matter what. I've already re-flowed all joints to no avail. Both channels look identical to me as I went over component placement again, and the problem doesn't travel with exchanging the OPamps. This is a mild disappointment as I could have done with a few more envelopes.
WTB:
Sputnik Quad VCA/VCF,
Plan B / SubCon Model 15 VCO, Plan B Model 12 VCF,
ADDAC 805v1,
Macro Machines Storage Strip,
Intellijel Dixie 1, Spock, FlipFlop,
Bastl SoftPop,
Skychord Cloudbuster

FS/FT(US): Bard Vacuform vacuum tube multi mode filter, factory-built, $250 shipped

Whelm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Whelm » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:16 pm

Got a picture B0bcat? I built mine a couple years ago and it works fine so I suspect you've got a short somewhere.

RE LEDs: "The orientation of the leds is a bit hard to see on the pcb, but the flatted side of the graphic denotes the cathode (-)." (from build guide) <-- you found that not to be the case?

B0bcat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by B0bcat » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:14 pm

Whelm wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:16 pm
Got a picture B0bcat? I built mine a couple years ago and it works fine so I suspect you've got a short somewhere.

RE LEDs: "The orientation of the leds is a bit hard to see on the pcb, but the flatted side of the graphic denotes the cathode (-)." (from build guide) <-- you found that not to be the case?
Tricky to take pictures of no-clean solder in that light but here you go - I don’t see any shorts but some of the contacts are close on the PCB.

As for LED Orientation I was not trying to say that the description is wrong - just that there is still opportunity to goof it up, and also to provide context for the trouble shooting. It doesn’t seem to me that an inverted LED should damage any parts, though, and as I said I tested the OPamps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WTB:
Sputnik Quad VCA/VCF,
ADDAC 805v1,
Bastl SoftPop,
Skychord Cloudbuster

FS/FT(US): Bard Vacuform vacuum tube multi mode filter, factory-built, $250 shipped

Whelm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Whelm » Fri May 01, 2020 2:23 am

Hmm nothing is screaming at me. Some of the joints look a bit iffy, but you've already reflown them...

What's LED b doing?

I don't really have much advice other than to say that if i were you, I'd start tracing continuity on channel b. And perhaps triple check that the B led is oriented properly.

The -5V seems like a hint, since there's no 5V supply in the circuit. So that's gotta be coming from somewhere. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I could interpret that.

I can pull mine out and check voltages on it for comparison if that would be helpful.

Bartimaeus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bartimaeus » Fri May 01, 2020 11:34 am

make sure you have continuity between all points on the two boards. also, it's hard to see the control board from your photos. i would remove the panel and examine it – sometimes the legs of a pot get shorted together.

after looking more closely at the back of the main board, i think you have a cold joint on R12b. doesn't look like the resistor lead goes all the way through? R11b also looks a bit iffy.

B0bcat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by B0bcat » Fri May 01, 2020 1:40 pm

Bartimaeus wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:34 am
after looking more closely at the back of the main board, i think you have a cold joint on R12b. doesn't look like the resistor lead goes all the way through? R11b also looks a bit iffy.
Thanks! I've double checked said resistors/joints and they are okay.

Whelm wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:23 am
What's LED b doing?

I don't really have much advice other than to say that if i were you, I'd start tracing continuity on channel b. And perhaps triple check that the B led is oriented properly.

The -5V seems like a hint, since there's no 5V supply in the circuit. So that's gotta be coming from somewhere. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I could interpret that.

I can pull mine out and check voltages on it for comparison if that would be helpful.
LED B is definitely placed correctly now and works when I test with multimeter, otherwise not doing anything. I agree that the -5V should be conclusive - I think +5V is the expected maximum of the envelope

I will try tracing channel B and compare with channel A. Maybe starting with voltages on OPamp pins and compare them between channels

EDIT: voltages between the two ICs were all over the place and not really comparable, but I detected a short between R5a and R6a whose pads are impossibly close on the PCB. Probably would have been better to have soldered from the other side. Cutting between the two pads resolved the problem of channel B - it works now - but on the flip side channel A has a constant output of +5V now. There's clearly another problem somewhere but perhaps with such a butchered build it's better to move on or start over. I appreciate the help though!!
WTB:
Sputnik Quad VCA/VCF,
ADDAC 805v1,
Bastl SoftPop,
Skychord Cloudbuster

Bartimaeus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bartimaeus » Fri May 01, 2020 3:02 pm

R5a and R6a are supposed to be connected. Did you make sure you broke a connection on the right side? also, did you re-solder after breaking the connection, or just cut it? the stress from a cut can be bad for pads/joints, and i've had it ruin a connection (even though it looked fine), so i would definitely re-solder. and while you're at it, i'd resolder any other iffy-looking joints. the fact that channel B started working, even though you only made a change to channel A, makes me think that you have an intermittent connection somewhere on channel B, and maybe the movement from cutting that pad got the connection working temporarily. seems a shame to give up on it as it's a pretty clean build and you're gotten both channels working at different times, so there's probably only a small issue remaining

B0bcat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by B0bcat » Fri May 01, 2020 3:51 pm

Interesting points. To me it also doesn’t make much sense since the channels supposedly don’t interact .. it feels bad to be defeated by this build as it’s a useful module and has been built by many others on here successfully, I’m just not sure if I would be comfortable putting it back into a large case after having some weird issues but that’s just my paranoia
WTB:
Sputnik Quad VCA/VCF,
ADDAC 805v1,
Bastl SoftPop,
Skychord Cloudbuster

Supervillain
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by Supervillain » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:06 pm

TimoRozendal wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:55 am
hinterlands303 wrote:What voltage does this envelope output? 8v?
HI, it is approx 5v, but you can easily change it by adjusting r11 and r12.
Cheers
Timo
Hey Timo
What value would you recommend ?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”