TTSH Ver.3 (rev.8) General build thread

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

C-C-C-C
Learning to Wiggle

Post by C-C-C-C » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:09 pm

Jaytee wrote:Just a heads up for anyone interested. There’s a group buy happening in the TTSH Facebook group for slider caps, the same type from the Behringer Ultragraph EQs. I think there’s a few sets left up for grabs.
Thank you, didnt even know there was a TTSH facebook group :)

hofmann25
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hofmann25 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:09 pm

C-C-C-C wrote:
Jaytee wrote:Just a heads up for anyone interested. There’s a group buy happening in the TTSH Facebook group for slider caps, the same type from the Behringer Ultragraph EQs. I think there’s a few sets left up for grabs.
Thank you, didnt even know there was a TTSH facebook group :)
me either.

I had a look. They are kind of ugly, expensive and they are really wide. So they kind of distort your view of what actual setting you have o the slider.

Jaytee
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jaytee » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:43 pm

hofmann25 wrote:I had a look. They are kind of ugly, expensive and they are really wide. So they kind of distort your view of what actual setting you have o the slider.
We talking about the same slider caps?

I mean, ugly is subjective, and they aren't dirt cheap, but c'mon, they're about as narrow as they can possibly be and still, yknow, cover the sliders. Check out the pulse width slider. It doesn't cover the 50% marking at all, and that's about as close as any markings get to the slider slots. For that matter, relatively few sliders have any markings besides big wide tick marks that the caps won't cover at all.

It's possible slider caps just aren't for you and your TTSH, which is fine. But Sascha has worked pretty hard to make this group buy happen for us, and I thought I'd do folks a favor by announcing it here as well, since there apparently a few who hadn't found the Facebook group yet. Seems a bit unnecessary to crap on something many of us have been waiting for eagerly. :despair:

hofmann25
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hofmann25 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:58 pm

Jaytee wrote:
hofmann25 wrote:I had a look. They are kind of ugly, expensive and they are really wide. So they kind of distort your view of what actual setting you have o the slider.
We talking about the same slider caps?

Yes.
Jaytee wrote:I mean, ugly is subjective, and they aren't dirt cheap, but c'mon, they're about as narrow as they can possibly be and still, yknow, cover the sliders. Check out the pulse width slider. It doesn't cover the 50% marking at all, and that's about as close as any markings get to the slider slots. For that matter, relatively few sliders have any markings besides big wide tick marks that the caps won't cover at all.
It is subjective.
Jaytee wrote:It's possible slider caps just aren't for you and your TTSH, which is fine. But Sascha has worked pretty hard to make this group buy happen for us, and I thought I'd do folks a favor by announcing it here as well, since there apparently a few who hadn't found the Facebook group yet. Seems a bit unnecessary to crap on something many of us have been waiting for eagerly. :despair:
It is possible.

I would hardly call it crapping on anything.

Jaytee
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jaytee » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:09 pm

Call it whatever you want, it's totally unnecessary. Don't like em? Don't buy em.

hofmann25
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hofmann25 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:13 pm

Jaytee wrote:Call it whatever you want, it's totally unnecessary. Don't like em? Don't buy em.
Oh for gods sake calm down. :guinness: Your making a huge deal out of this just to defend some ideological thing you deem important. it's totally unnecessary :doh:

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:58 am

hofmann25 wrote:... it's totally unnecessary[/i] :doh:
Correct.

I chose to install these knobs and here's why:

Aesthetics aside, there is a functional aspect to the knobs. Bourne's makes these slide pots for knobs, not fingers. They are compromised without knobs. The corners are sharp and easily catch on things to break. The top part with the little fork that holds the LED is frail. Every time you push the slider up or down, you are introducing fatigue to the thinnest part of the plastic assembly.

It happened to me. I got my shirt sleeve caught on a slider, breaking the top and flinging the LED to parts unknown. Replacing a broken slider is a huge PIA, who wants to unscrew all those nuts? I found after installing the knobs that the synth was much more comfortable under my fingers.

:goo: :goo: :goo: :goo: :goo: Hey I got my fifth goo yesterday!
Wired for weird

rampy
Common Wiggler

Post by rampy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:50 pm

Vast_Halo wrote:That's too bad! I am interested, but I don't Facebook.
same here!

tonfunk
Learning to Wiggle

Ring Modulator Issue

Post by tonfunk » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:40 pm

Hey wigglers,

I recently finished my TTSH build. As far as testing goes I did experience issues with the ring modular. Even with cranked up gain and either or both VCO sliders fully up I do not get a suitable output of the ring mod. Any advice where to debugging this issue?

so long.

Jaytee
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jaytee » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:05 pm

Does that mean you get no output, or that you get some kind of output but not the expected output?

tonfunk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tonfunk » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:07 am

Jaytee
almost no output at all, correct.

Jaytee
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jaytee » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:52 am

Does it work if you plug the oscillators in directly to the jacks? I recall someone got a batch of bad jacks once where the normaled connections didn’t quite make contact.

Other than that, I would be checking for simple stuff first. Bad solder joints, missed joints, inadvertent shorts, polarized components in backwards. There are quite a few diodes in the ring mod, so be sure they’re all in correctly.

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Ring Modulator Issue

Post by fuzzbass » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:07 am

tonfunk wrote:Hey wigglers,

I recently finished my TTSH build. As far as testing goes I did experience issues with the ring modular. Even with cranked up gain and either or both VCO sliders fully up I do not get a suitable output of the ring mod. Any advice where to debugging this issue?

so long.
Have you performed the initial trimming? Visually check orientation of the four electrolytic caps, and the switch installation. Swap out the LM301s, if socketed.
Wired for weird

tonfunk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tonfunk » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:53 pm

fuzzbass, Jaytee
What are you referring to by initial trimming? I followed the DSL man guide for calibration and besides a second issue w/ SINE on OSC2 (identical to the TRI) and the ring mod not working I am pleased with the results for all other modules.

Picture file

I think the parts orientation test is considered pass (see attached photo) - please let me know if you spot something I missed!
Test with OSC out inserted into the ring mod IN jacks showed no difference in behavior.

So for electronic testing (solder joints, shorts etc.) - I assume the best it gets is the rev.3 schematic for the module, or? [/img]

LED-man
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LED-man » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:58 pm

No ground on the jacks ?
################################
TTSH Support Page and other DIY Projects:
https://www.DSL-man.de

tonfunk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tonfunk » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:36 pm

LED-man
not yet. I will fix the jacks once the entire synth is operational and I am sure about not running into e.g. via issues - would you expect the missing ground to be related to the issue I have with the ringmod?

LED-man
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LED-man » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:22 pm

Andrej got from me few weeks ago a TTSH Pane, 1601 Sequencer and syncussion Panel to create dust cover.
Today I installed it.its not very easy to install, but easier as try to match a PNP to an NPN Transistor pair.
I asked to include round covers for the trimmers too, hopefully he add this later to the kit.

His shop:
http://synthronics.de/dust-covers-ttsh-arp-2600/

My documentation about it: (not final)
https://www.dsl-man.de/display/TTSH/TTS ... stallation

################################
TTSH Support Page and other DIY Projects:
https://www.DSL-man.de

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:34 am

great work, patrick, as always

dKRelease
Common Wiggler

Post by dKRelease » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:36 am

Hi all. Im currently building a Eurorack version of 2600, of which panels and pcbs will be made available once completed.

Hopefully I'm not being cheeky posting here as, as far as I'm aware, the TTSH is no longer available? Anyway i'll post the thread link here once i've started it,

Cheers

Dan

dKRelease
Common Wiggler

Post by dKRelease » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:38 am

I needed to make a couple of posts before i could start a new thread so thought i may as well do it this way.

Cheers

Dan

Jaytee
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jaytee » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:31 pm

Not a great way to get your required posts. Surely someone who can recreate the 2600 in eurorack has something relevant to add to a few threads elsewhere on Muffs.

(And fwiw, TTSH rev4 has been announced.)

dKRelease
Common Wiggler

Post by dKRelease » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:28 pm

Jaytee wrote:Not a great way to get your required posts. Surely someone who can recreate the 2600 in eurorack has something relevant to add to a few threads elsewhere on Muffs.

(And fwiw, TTSH rev4 has been announced.)
Ah ok, i was unaware. In that case i won't post a link, I just thought it may be of interest to people that visit this thread as I thought some had wished to buy TTSH but didn't manage to grab one. My apologies.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:12 pm

What do you mean by TTSH in eurorack? Obviously it won't fit - are you breaking out the individual sections into modules? And yes, post a link.

Ah, found this - viewtopic.php?t=215178
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by the bad producer » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:28 pm

I have a TTSH here (which I didn't build) that is really noisy, the reverb is picking up the high-pitched digital PSU 'whine' and the VCF has a ssssssshhhhhhh background noise. Is this normal for this iteration? (Rev3 or the latest I think, one big black PCB, VCF on a separate PCB like the VCO's).

I've built a few older ones and not had these problems, is it to do with the PSU and VCF redesign?

I've tried a few things with the PSU, but it just won't go away, any tips appreciated! (tried cutting out LEDs, moving spring up, changing spring leads, moving PSU, many different adaptors inc 15V and 24V, tried 2 linear PSUs etc)

Also, what's up with the VCF? Is that normal?

Me: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :deadbanana: :zombie:

FactoryDefault
Common Wiggler

Post by FactoryDefault » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:03 pm

the bad producer wrote:I have a TTSH here (which I didn't build) that is really noisy
My reverb still picks up psu noise despite cable shielding/moving the reverb tank/changing tank grounding/steel barriers/voodoo rituals so I keep it at max 50% if I use it. I have been researching the install of a power-one psu but I read the other day that it can potentially induce hum so it seems there is not a perfect solution. Don’t which I prefer - hum or whine! :hmm:

The vcf issue does not sound normal. Did you get both filters with the TTSH? Can you post a sound sample?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”