[BUILD] JasperIN - Midi and CV/Gate Input for Jasper/Wasp

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

nologin
Common Wiggler

Post by nologin » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:36 am

Ok thanks, i rectified, this time i understood. :love:

I had not understood that the x0xb0x should be on octave UP and jasper FT. 8. But it's good now. :cat:

Shufflehound
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Shufflehound » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:00 am

Finally have enough free time to start building the JasperIN. Is there a schematic for it to have a look at? Thanks

afx
Common Wiggler

Post by afx » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:33 am

No schematic available, use the BOM to build yours.
Also check the first post on this thread for altitude's tips on how to solder some of the more difficult parts.

Let me know if you have any issues.

sizone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sizone » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:54 pm

after rejamming some of the connections on the mta cable, thing works beautifully. fairly amazing as that was my first surface mount build.

thanks.

case is stained and ready to be glued. a year after first getting the pcbs in, the jasper is a day or two away from being finalized.

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:29 am

Hi!
I finished building, but nothing happened. I measured the +5V from the link header on jasper side - fine. While measuring the cv PCB I found out that the +5v and the ground are connected :bang: :eek: Then I removed all the smd caps, made sure there is no sorts, but still no change. What should I try next? Or could it be on the board itself? ATmega presoldered -version..

StormB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by StormB » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:35 pm

Hi,
I finished my board to Atmega presoldered Version but
nothing go
I can upload the Hexfile so far so good
but I can t Calibration the interface I push S1 for Midi Channel but nothing happened ???

StormB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by StormB » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:36 pm

Hi,
nothing go
but I can t Calibration the interface I push S1 for Midi Channel but nothing happened ???
can I have the Schematic to check the lines
sorry double Post

eveready9v
Common Wiggler

The TH LED

Post by eveready9v » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:46 pm

Is the one listed in the BOM part specific, or can I use any colored LED, as I'm assuming its just for monitoring functionality of the MIDI in? I only ask because of course Mouser was out of these and I have a ton of colored LED's kicking around, and I'd hate to spend a 7 bucks in shipping for a $.50 part. Thanks
Barry

sizone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sizone » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:53 pm

any led will do. I went with orange to avoid the back order.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:55 am

StormB wrote:Hi,
nothing go
can I have the Schematic to check the lines
sorry double Post
Does the surface mount LED come on? That is the indicator that the software is installed correctly. CV Calibration is done with the trimmer, simply measure the voltage at the jack and adjust the trimmer to half of that voltage at test point 1. S2 is Midi learn (press a key and it will accept midi data on whatever channel you sent it on)

StormB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by StormB » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:18 am

Hi,
when I flash the software
I turn Jasper on (the Led shines from Interface) I push S2 Button the led goes out and after the Upload LED goes on

For midi
I turn Jasper on the Led shines than I push Button S2 the Led goes Out
I hit a Key from my Master keyboard but nothing happened and the Led goes not on

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:58 am

There are two LEDs on the board, a status LED next to the micro controller and a gate indicator LED below the gate jack.

The gate LED should only be on when it receives gate, if that is turning on at any time other than receiving gate, you have a build issue.

StormB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by StormB » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:05 am

Only the led from Micro controller is on or off

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:14 am

If that is on and it's not playing when sent midi, check around the opto coupler connections, that should work on channel 1 without the need for any calibration/setup

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:47 am

Altitude909: Do you have any advise for me? Where to look for the sort (+5v-GRD)? Or could it be the pcb? Thanks!

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:40 am

JanneI wrote:Altitude909: Do you have any advise for me? Where to look for the sort (+5v-GRD)? Or could it be the pcb? Thanks!
So you are measuring a connection between Vcc and Vss on the PCB without it being connected to the Jasper? PCB problems are very rare, post a high res picture of your board.

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:37 am

Altitude909 wrote:So you are measuring a connection between Vcc and Vss on the PCB without it being connected to the Jasper? PCB problems are very rare, post a high res picture of your board.
Yes, Vcc and Vss (pins nearest to pcb center) are connected at the moment (pcb not connected to Jasper). I unsoldered all the SMD caps, hoping to find a sort below the component, but I didn't see any. While measuring various points on the pcb I noticed that by touching smd led cathode and vss or vcc the led lite up.

I can take high res photos in a week or two.

Best,
Janne

afx
Common Wiggler

Post by afx » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:57 pm

JanneI wrote:
Altitude909 wrote:So you are measuring a connection between Vcc and Vss on the PCB without it being connected to the Jasper? PCB problems are very rare, post a high res picture of your board.
Yes, Vcc and Vss (pins nearest to pcb center) are connected at the moment (pcb not connected to Jasper). I unsoldered all the SMD caps, hoping to find a sort below the component, but I didn't see any. While measuring various points on the pcb I noticed that by touching smd led cathode and vss or vcc the led lite up.

I can take high res photos in a week or two.

Best,
Janne
Please take some high res pics, don't worry if you cannot make it work, we will sort this out.

StormB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by StormB » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:08 am

Hi,
i have check the 6N137 on Pin 6 with my Oszi and I see Data is coming out if I hit a key from Master Keyboard the Optocoupler is function
What I can do now

StormB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by StormB » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:36 am

Hi
i have found my bug :banana:
at the order gives a Mistake I have order 47K for R11 and I have seen is
470K :bang:
i have change to a 47K resistor and now its running :nana:

decoder303
Learning to Wiggle

Post by decoder303 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:33 am

I'd need some advice too, could upload the firmware (yellow smd LED went on after uploading and is permanently on now), adjusted the voltage at the testpad (3V at cv in -> 1,5V at the pad) but I can't get the Jasper to respond to midi / set the midi channel. I already tripple checked the wiring, the jasper is working with its own keyboard..

What I do: turning on the jasper, pressing switch button 1, sending a note from my alpha juno (also tried sending a note from the DAW) but nothing happens.. I also measured pin 6 of the optocoupler and have data when pressing a key on the alpha juno.. tried pressing s2 just to check and when pressing it the LED turns off.. where/what could I check first?

edit: CV/gate is working, just tried with the sh101, not calibrated though

afx
Common Wiggler

Post by afx » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:33 pm

decoder303 wrote:I'd need some advice too, could upload the firmware (yellow smd LED went on after uploading and is permanently on now), adjusted the voltage at the testpad (3V at cv in -> 1,5V at the pad) but I can't get the Jasper to respond to midi / set the midi channel. I already tripple checked the wiring, the jasper is working with its own keyboard..

What I do: turning on the jasper, pressing switch button 1, sending a note from my alpha juno (also tried sending a note from the DAW) but nothing happens.. I also measured pin 6 of the optocoupler and have data when pressing a key on the alpha juno.. tried pressing s2 just to check and when pressing it the LED turns off.. where/what could I check first?

edit: CV/gate is working, just tried with the sh101, not calibrated though
Turn the Jasper on and press S1, this will put the JasperIn in learn mode.

Use a DAW/Midi Controller to send a C-1 (C minus 1) midi note on the channel you want the Jasper to respond. You will not hear anything when you send that note.

After that the Jasper should respond to the channel you use to send the note.

edit: fixed typo
Last edited by afx on Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

decoder303
Learning to Wiggle

Post by decoder303 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:07 pm

Thank you, gonna try switch 2 tomorrow.. I followed the instructions of the 2nd post where s1 is mentioned and s2 just for updating the firmware.

so it's sw2 for setting the midi channel and after I configured the channel do I have to press switch 2 again to enter cv range config or switch 1?

afx
Common Wiggler

Post by afx » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:00 pm

decoder303 wrote:Thank you, gonna try switch 2 tomorrow.. I followed the instructions of the 2nd post where s1 is mentioned and s2 just for updating the firmware.

so it's sw2 for setting the midi channel and after I configured the channel do I have to press switch 2 again to enter cv range config or switch 1?
Sorry, that was a typo, you press S1 for learn mode, s2 for FW updates

afx
Common Wiggler

Post by afx » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:02 pm

decoder303 wrote: so it's sw2 for setting the midi channel and after I configured the channel do I have to press switch 2 again to enter cv range config or switch 1?
You just press once, after you send the midi note, it will return to normal operation mode.

Make sure you do not have any cables plugged to the CV or Gate

Return to “Music Tech DIY”