[BUILD] JasperIN - Midi and CV/Gate Input for Jasper/Wasp

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Post Reply
decoder303
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:10 pm

Post by decoder303 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:30 am

worked immediately now when trying with the beatstep pro.. seems that c-1 corresponds to c3 in abletons piano roll :doh:
thanks for the interface, makes the jasper finally usable (for me) :nana:

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:28 am

Post by JanneI » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:57 pm


afx
Common Wiggler
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 6:14 pm

Post by afx » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:11 pm

I do not see anything obvious in your build, are you sure there are no solder bridges under the resistors?

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:28 am

Post by JanneI » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:39 pm

afx wrote:I do not see anything obvious in your build, are you sure there are no solder bridges under the resistors?
Thanks, my thoughts too.. I'll take those resistors out next time I get the change to troubleshoot it and get back to you.

afx
Common Wiggler
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 6:14 pm

Post by afx » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:07 pm

JanneI wrote:
afx wrote:I do not see anything obvious in your build, are you sure there are no solder bridges under the resistors?
Thanks, my thoughts too.. I'll take those resistors out next time I get the change to troubleshoot it and get back to you.
before you do anything, you should wick those cap pads.
In your pictures, the right pad of C10.
What soldering iron are you using, it looks like you are heating the solder long enough to melt and some of the components have to much solder.

User avatar
jensu
Common Wiggler
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:45 am
Location: Copenhagen

Post by jensu » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:22 pm

Assembled yesterday, but is having problems with uploading. I'm having voltages on the board, so everything should be powered, but can't for the life of em get a connection with the usb.
Is there any sign of life to look for, other than bootloader mode?

I fear i might have wrecked the chip one way or the other.

afx
Common Wiggler
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 6:14 pm

Post by afx » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:57 am

jensu wrote:Assembled yesterday, but is having problems with uploading. I'm having voltages on the board, so everything should be powered, but can't for the life of em get a connection with the usb.
Is there any sign of life to look for, other than bootloader mode?

I fear i might have wrecked the chip one way or the other.
Have you tried to plug it to a different computer?
Try to reflow the resonator.
You need to get it into bootloader mode to upload the firmware. Your computer should make the usual sound as when you connect any USB device.

If you can, please upload some high resolution pictures.

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:28 am

Post by JanneI » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:18 am

afx wrote:
JanneI wrote:
afx wrote:I do not see anything obvious in your build, are you sure there are no solder bridges under the resistors?
Thanks, my thoughts too.. I'll take those resistors out next time I get the change to troubleshoot it and get back to you.
before you do anything, you should wick those cap pads.
In your pictures, the right pad of C10.
What soldering iron are you using, it looks like you are heating the solder long enough to melt and some of the components have to much solder.
C10 cleaned, didn't help. All resistors out, didn't help. Vcc&Vss still sorted. I don't see any bridges on smd resistors or caps. I'm using Weller WD-1. What should we do?

User avatar
blitit
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:49 pm
Location: Santiago, Chile

Post by blitit » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:36 pm

Im having the same problem as JanneI. There`s continuity between Vc and Vs

When i plug it to the jasper and turn it on, the red led from the power starts blinking. No sound comes out. It only works when i unplugged the jasperin.

Im guessing there`s an unwanted bridge somewhere but not sure where (i bought a pcb with the some of the stuff presoldered)
NEW EURORACK EP at blit.bandcamp.com

User avatar
Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3394
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:13 pm
Location: Meesheegan

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:59 am

blitit wrote:Im having the same problem as JanneI. There`s continuity between Vc and Vs

When i plug it to the jasper and turn it on, the red led from the power starts blinking. No sound comes out. It only works when i unplugged the jasperin.

Im guessing there`s an unwanted bridge somewhere but not sure where (i bought a pcb with the some of the stuff presoldered)
Post a high resolution picture of the board. Can you flash it with the firmware? If you have a blinking LED then the teensy its running (it should NOT be blinking if you have firmware loaded)

technotron
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:26 pm

Post by technotron » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:36 am

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent to the Cliff jacks on Ebay och Aliexpress for example? It would be nice to not to have to pay shipping for this part alone.

User avatar
blitit
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:49 pm
Location: Santiago, Chile

Post by blitit » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:49 am

Altitude909 wrote:
blitit wrote:Im having the same problem as JanneI. There`s continuity between Vc and Vs

When i plug it to the jasper and turn it on, the red led from the power starts blinking. No sound comes out. It only works when i unplugged the jasperin.

Im guessing there`s an unwanted bridge somewhere but not sure where (i bought a pcb with the some of the stuff presoldered)
Post a high resolution picture of the board. Can you flash it with the firmware? If you have a blinking LED then the teensy its running (it should NOT be blinking if you have firmware loaded)
It was the Jasper power LED that was blinking, not the one on the Jasperin.

I started checking and there was continuity in several. I removed c9 and c10 with a wick then resolder them and voila! Now it works! :nana:

The blinking LED (Jasper power LED, not Jasperin´s) was probably due to a protection in the Jasper circuit caused by a short circuit in the Jasperin, i guess.

I havent soldered 0609 smd before and this are way smaller than the 0805 and giving the fact that i dont own smd related gear to properly solder this there must have been a solder bridge somewhere under those caps.

What it did improve the solder joints was seeing this picture, so maybe this will help someone in the future
Image


Also, this "hack" improves your quality if you dont have a fine tip:

Image
NEW EURORACK EP at blit.bandcamp.com

User avatar
Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3394
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:13 pm
Location: Meesheegan

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:10 am

Glad you got it working

I wouldnt recommend that method to solder SMD parts, pressing down on a tiny part is a bad idea and it can be easy to tear off the metalization on the ends of the parts. I tin ONE pad, slide the part into place while holding the iron to the tinned pad and touching the part, then solder the other end.

User avatar
Arnoid
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:32 am
Location: Belgium

Post by Arnoid » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:32 am

Somebody noticed midi timinig is not really tight ? It's the worsed from my whole setup.

If I record a 4x4 loop and record it in ableton steps are actually moving a few ms from each other and are not in grid.

The Jasper is driven from a ES-40 + ESX8-MD mkII combo so my midi interface isn't the problem.

User avatar
Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3394
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:13 pm
Location: Meesheegan

Post by Altitude909 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:07 am

Arnoid wrote:Somebody noticed midi timinig is not really tight ? It's the worsed from my whole setup.

If I record a 4x4 loop and record it in ableton steps are actually moving a few ms from each other and are not in grid.

The Jasper is driven from a ES-40 + ESX8-MD mkII combo so my midi interface isn't the problem.
Funny you should mention that now. New beta firmware will be available shortly. Afx ditched the whole Arduino frame work and rewrote everything in C to address this issue

User avatar
Arnoid
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:32 am
Location: Belgium

Post by Arnoid » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:52 am

Great :)

afx
Common Wiggler
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 6:14 pm

Post by afx » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:01 am

Arnoid wrote:Somebody noticed midi timinig is not really tight ? It's the worsed from my whole setup.

If I record a 4x4 loop and record it in ableton steps are actually moving a few ms from each other and are not in grid.

The Jasper is driven from a ES-40 + ESX8-MD mkII combo so my midi interface isn't the problem.
viewtopic.php?p=2746973#2746973

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:11 pm
Location: PDX

Post by Purveyor2 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:30 pm

Put me down for a JasperIn w/teensy. Thanks.

User avatar
Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3394
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:13 pm
Location: Meesheegan

Post by Altitude909 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:24 pm

Purveyor2 wrote:Put me down for a JasperIn w/teensy. Thanks.
order here: viewtopic.php?t=171543&highlight=

User avatar
Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3394
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:13 pm
Location: Meesheegan

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:37 pm

Ok, new code is ready:

Please post feedback, this has improved midi timing, better handling of midi messages, other stuff

BETA FIRMWARE ON NEW CODE BASE
HERE

User avatar
Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3394
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:13 pm
Location: Meesheegan

Post by Altitude909 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:54 pm

Beta 20 up.

Better handling of odd midi implementations..

User avatar
LED-man
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1453
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Wolfsburg Germany

Post by LED-man » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:32 pm

Great, can you give us a exactly changelog please
################################
TTSH Support Page and other DIY Projects:
https://www.DSL-man.de

afx
Common Wiggler
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 6:14 pm

Post by afx » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:29 pm

LED-man wrote:Great, can you give us a exactly changelog please
Exact same features as the v0.09a, got rid of the arduino framework and all c++ libraries and coded everything in C.

In v0.09a there was a ~20mm to ~30ms lag between receiving an input note to the note being played, that was fixed with this new firmware.

Learned few things how different devices/software implement midi:
- Note On with a 0 velocity is an alias of Note Off. This was fixed in 0.09a
- Midi Running Status, this was implemented and on in the arduino midi library. This was fixed in Beta 16
- Reaper uses a shorter command for Note Off that does not include the velocity byte. This was fixed in Beta 20

All sequencer features are included in this version of the firmware, just waiting for the end of CNY to order a new revision of the pcb.

Sequencer features:
- Eight memory slots. 100 steps on each slot.
- Sequencer uses the LFO rate as the clock unless an external clock is provided, same as the SH-101 except the wasp/jasper lfo has a wider range and no sync. The SH-101 range is 0.1Hz to 30Hz the wasp/jasper ??0.5Hz?? to 100Hz, the EDP link max trigger is 25Hz, so it will not play on the entire range of the wasp/jasper lfo.
- Wasp/Jasper keyboard to write a sequence, rest and slide can be used.
- Transpose a sequence down 1 octave.
- Arpeggiator only works over midi since it is not possible to detect more than one keypress on the wasp/jasper touch keyboard.
- Arpeggiator Down, Up and Up/Down modes.
- Hold feature for the arpeggiator. Same as the SH-101, it will retrigger if new notes are played.

If any of you knows of a way to reset the lfo, please let me know
It would be cool to have the lfo reset when a sequence starts playing with the lfo as the clock.

User avatar
mbroers
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by mbroers » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:19 am

:yay:

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:11 pm
Location: PDX

Post by Purveyor2 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:11 pm

Purveyor2 wrote:
Put me down for a JasperIn w/teensy. Thanks.


order here: viewtopic.php?t=171543&highlight=
Did you get the order or did I mess it up? thx

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”