Source vtl5c4/2

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

NekoNeko
Common Wiggler

Source vtl5c4/2

Post by NekoNeko » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:14 am

Hi

I'm in need of some vtl5c4/2 vactrol for a tube compressor. All regular sources have dried up. I'm aware of the ban and these not being manufactured anymore.

Hoping anyone has a secret source or some going spare.

Cheers

Gray[/video]

qfactor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by qfactor » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:21 am

I've been buying from this guy on eBay quite a few times (including once when I got a few VTL5C3 as well) and seems to be reliable. Think he's from China.
Check out with him:
https://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/262786735692

NekoNeko
Common Wiggler

Post by NekoNeko » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:42 am

Nice one I have dropped him a msg.

The auction says Perkins Elmer so not chinease repros.

Don T
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Source vtl5c4/2

Post by Don T » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:08 am

NekoNeko wrote:Hi

I'm in need of some vtl5c4/2 vactrol for a tube compressor. All regular sources have dried up. I'm aware of the ban and these not being manufactured anymore.

Hoping anyone has a secret source or some going spare.

Cheers

Gray[/video]
Let me dig through my stash, I had pulled some from a old mixer once, they were either 5C9/2 or 5C4/2

qfactor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by qfactor » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:24 pm

NekoNeko wrote:Nice one I have dropped him a msg.

The auction says Perkins Elmer so not chinease repros.
Cool! Let us know how it turns out as I've not ordered from him for quite a while now. :tu:

NekoNeko
Common Wiggler

Post by NekoNeko » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:14 pm

Well he got back to me and doesn't have any :bang:

Back to searching.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:20 pm

Would the singles VTL5C4 be easier to source than the doubles?
I'd imagine that using a pair of singles could work - just you'd have two LEDs to drive in series (should work fine).

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:44 pm

i have a local source for vtl5c3/2 and they can be found at thonk etc. but 5c4/2 seems to be a bit scarcer these days.
Warm thank you to everyone for the past 10 years. I'm not active here anymore for personal reasons, so for those I've had the pleasure of dealing with please send an e-mail instead of PM if you wish to get in touch.

Don T
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Don T » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:00 pm

NekoNeko wrote:Well he got back to me and doesn't have any :bang:

Back to searching.
I'm still looking. I found the single vactrols that came out of those mixing boards, and they were 5C9, which means the duals were indeed 5C4/2, I just need to find them.

NekoNeko
Common Wiggler

Post by NekoNeko » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:04 am

Don T wrote:
NekoNeko wrote:Well he got back to me and doesn't have any :bang:

Back to searching.
I'm still looking. I found the single vactrols that came out of those mixing boards, and they were 5C9, which means the duals were indeed 5C4/2, I just need to find them.
Your my only hope Don T!

Just missed out on a quick sale of a bunch of them on another forum by a few hours. :bang:

Have started to think about using 2x c4's instead Means getting an adapter pcb made.

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:23 am

NekoNeko wrote:Have started to think about using 2x c4's instead Means getting an adapter pcb made.
I guess you can usually kludge together two singles where there is one, just by soldering legs together and/or adding a couple of flying wires, no adapter PCB strictly needed. Or scrape up something on a piece of double sided protoboard. Other way it would be even easier mechanically in most cases (replacing two singles with a dual).

I must admit I'm not too good with vactrol specs or designs at all, but I've understood that one benefit of a dual vactrol is that you have potentially much better matched performance / resistance curves than two random single vactrols with same model number. For some cases like vactrol filters, two singles may actually be a more interesting choice, but for a studio compressor, depending on how the vactrol is used in the circuit, it may be very desirable that the response across two elements is more even. I'd be very glad to hear a technical explanation / refutation about this from someone that actually knows what he's speaking of though.

What design is it that you're building btw? I'm wondering if some other dual vactrol part would work instead of C4/2, or if others that are potentially easier to find have completely wrong kinds of speed or response curve.
Warm thank you to everyone for the past 10 years. I'm not active here anymore for personal reasons, so for those I've had the pleasure of dealing with please send an e-mail instead of PM if you wish to get in touch.

notmiserlouagain
Veteran Wiggler

Post by notmiserlouagain » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:08 am

NekoNeko wrote: Just missed out on a quick sale of a bunch of them on another forum by a few hours. :bang:
Well that must be GDIY?

If you´re looking at building the la4a, there´s only one part of the vactrol doing the gain reduction the other is just mirroring the action for the meter.
So I think you will be good using two single ones, as the metering will be not that precise anyway (and there are two trimmers for matching it as close as possible) and more of a general (but very useful) indication...
Better don´t use other types of (matched?) vactrols 2/2, 3/2! That would skew the GR response-
He who eats with most pleasure is he who least requires sauce.
Xenophon

Don T
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Don T » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:45 pm

Found them! I need to solder resistor legs onto the LED end so I can test them...

NekoNeko
Common Wiggler

Post by NekoNeko » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:28 am

Don-T you absolute legend!

Have dropped you a PM.

NekoNeko
Common Wiggler

Post by NekoNeko » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:30 am

flts wrote:
NekoNeko wrote:Have started to think about using 2x c4's instead Means getting an adapter pcb made.
I guess you can usually kludge together two singles where there is one, just by soldering legs together and/or adding a couple of flying wires, no adapter PCB strictly needed. Or scrape up something on a piece of double sided protoboard. Other way it would be even easier mechanically in most cases (replacing two singles with a dual).

I must admit I'm not too good with vactrol specs or designs at all, but I've understood that one benefit of a dual vactrol is that you have potentially much better matched performance / resistance curves than two random single vactrols with same model number. For some cases like vactrol filters, two singles may actually be a more interesting choice, but for a studio compressor, depending on how the vactrol is used in the circuit, it may be very desirable that the response across two elements is more even. I'd be very glad to hear a technical explanation / refutation about this from someone that actually knows what he's speaking of though.

What design is it that you're building btw? I'm wondering if some other dual vactrol part would work instead of C4/2, or if others that are potentially easier to find have completely wrong kinds of speed or response curve.
Yes even response between two vactrols was my concern. Vactrols are not known for being matched well.

NekoNeko
Common Wiggler

Post by NekoNeko » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:30 am

flts wrote:

Yes even response between two vactrols was my concern. Vactrols are not known for being matched well.

NekoNeko
Common Wiggler

Post by NekoNeko » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:31 am

notmiserlouagain wrote:
NekoNeko wrote: Just missed out on a quick sale of a bunch of them on another forum by a few hours. :bang:
Well that must be GDIY?

If you´re looking at building the la4a, there´s only one part of the vactrol doing the gain reduction the other is just mirroring the action for the meter.
So I think you will be good using two single ones, as the metering will be not that precise anyway (and there are two trimmers for matching it as close as possible) and more of a general (but very useful) indication...
Better don´t use other types of (matched?) vactrols 2/2, 3/2! That would skew the GR response-
Yes was on GDIY. Its silent arts DAOC compressor.

moylando
Common Wiggler

Post by moylando » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:19 pm

NekoNeko wrote:[

There are the NSL-33R7 duals which seem to be available at Allied, NSL33-007 at Digikey. I haven't tried them yet so can't speak to their matching, response, or sonics. Miss the vactrols.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”