[Order] TTSH Shapers Mod

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

[Order] TTSH Shapers Mod

Post by fuzzbass » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:00 am

Update 1 June 2020
Bug Reported for Version R1C (the current implementation), but wigger spacecadet.

Due to an impedance mismatch between the output of the flip-flop and the inverting buffer that follows it, the sub oscillator will show some ringing at the edges of its up and down transitions. To see these on the scope, dial time base down to 20uSec. This creates an overly bright result. The suggested fix is to strap a 10pf (or nearby value) ceramic cap across (in parallel to) R64/47k. It's an easy kluge if you have the right cap. The change has been incorporated into the current build document linked below, and the BOM in that document.

I don't have many of these boards left, and if I make a new run, I'll fix this in the design.

OK, where were we? Oh yeah...
The TTSH Shapers module was created to add triangle and sine wave outputs to the VCO1 and VCO3 sections. These are fully compatible and identical in function and phase to the triangle and sine wave outputs of VCO2.

UPDATE February 2020:
Synthcube is now selling complete kits. The kit and it's abbreviated build document are targeted to the V4 TTSH, but the kit and board are compatible with all versions of TTSH. If you have an older TTSH, use the build guide from the link at the bottom of this post. If you have the V4 TTSH, use this guide.

These additional waveform outputs create new timbre capabilities when used for modulation, be it FM, AM or both. With three sines to work with, additive synthesis techniques can be employed. All three VCOs become equally capable as LFOs. You can use a slow triangle LFO for PWM in VCO 2, as never before.

In addition to new waveform outputs, a sub-oscillator is also included, providing an bipolar audio output. The bass penalty for resonance in the VCF is no more!

The sub-oscillator may also be used as a clock/gate/event divider with a unipolar CV output. The sub oscillator may be built as a new, stand-alone module in the synth.

The sine shaper is adapted from one seen in many Thomas Henry VCO designs. Thomas has gracefully given his permission for me to use his shaper here - Thank You Thomas!

This is a complex modification and should only be performed by experienced builders. If you have built a working TTSH, then you qualify! For best results, use of a drill press is highly recommended. Read this post through before ordering, and look over the documentation as well.

Partial kit has been updated Sep-2018 to contain:

1 PC Board
2 NPN transistor matched pair
2 M-F hex standoff M3 nylon black
2 nylon mounts for wire dress
2 nylon cable ties
1 Electrolytic cap .1uf 50v 2.5mm LS
2 LM301 op amp DIL-8

To purchase
PM me with your:
paypal address - I will invoice you
destination country
quantity

Cost [updated Sep-2018 to reflect additional parts in the kit]:
Partial kit: $65 USD
Shipping:
US - 1-2 kits: $4.50
US - 3-5 kits: $6.00
Outside US - 1-2 kits: $15.00
Outside US - 3-5 kits: $25.00

Everything you need is in the partial kit plus this mouser cart ($51.)

... ok you will still need to provide some solder, heat shrink, epoxy glue and wire. :hihi:

Shared Mouser Cart

If you would like to commission me to build your TTSH, the new waveform outputs are included in the package price! I encourage other trusted builders to purchase kits and offer modification services.

Here is a block diagram:

Nuts and Bolts:
1. Works with all versions of TTSH. The board is powered by the TTSH PSU. A method for tapping power in all TTSH versions is included in the documentation.
2. Requires complete disassembly and separation of the panel from PCB.
3. The new triangle and sine outputs on the panel are located in a manner consistent with VCO2.
4. Method and parts for mounting has been worked out for all TTSH versions.
5. Should work with (although untested) a real 2600.
6. Will be offered as only a diy partial kit group buy, and will include one PCB, two NPN matched/tested pairs for the sine shapers, and mounting hardware.
7. All remaining components in the BOM will be shared in a Mouser cart - no rare, aftermarket or expensive parts.
8. The electronic portion of the installation is fully reversible (panel drilling is not!)
9. There is some panel wiring involved.

Update 5 May 2017

1. Latest prototype built here without issue. Some resistor values were finalized.

2. Successfully stress tested using a TTSH V3 powered by Murata DC-DC converters and standard wall wart.

3. Sub-Oscillator external input successfully tested with both bipolar and unipolar sources, various waveforms.

4. The board is 70x100mm.

5. All required parts are in shared mouser cart, cost: $55US.

6. Demand: V+:40ma; V-:30ma. Added demand from +12V DC wall wart: 90ma. This has been added now to four different TTSH using various PSU schemes and no issues found thus far.

Update 17 May 2017

Its alive, its alive, its alive in my V1 Frankenmeanie.

I have prototypes out to other wigglers to get their feedback, but things are looking promising.

Update 13 June 2017

Prototype builders report success!

Update 9 July 2017

Boards are back from manufacturing and I am ready to ship. I will begin invoicing folks today. I appreciate everyone's patience here. Once you are done installing this, you will not be disappointed.

Also, unless you tell me otherwise, I will be shipping to your paypal registered address.

Pix:

Here the sub oscillator is implemented as a new, stand alone module in the synth. Across the top, left to right:
Sub Ext in jack, Octave Select Switch, Sub Out, Audio/CV switch, VCO2 Sync, VCO3 Sync (sync is a different mod and not included in this project). You hardly notice the new output jacks in VCO1 and VCO3.

Please Note: The slide switches in the pic are some I picked out for my synth because I'm weird. The switches in the mouser cart are not the same, but are Mountain sub-mini toggles (same as seen in upper left of the panel rear photo). These are much easier to install than those shown above.

Participants:
Key: Requested Invoiced Paid Shipped

Zensac:1 07/21/17
jimfowler:1 07/21/17
sanemalkavian:1 07/21/17
JanneI:1 07/22/17
hoby:1 07/22/17
heapish:1 07/21/17
groove:1 07/21/17
Sammus:7 07/21/17
nosotokarjazzy:1 07/22/177
pathosBill:1 07/21/17
olga42:1 07/22/17
Fubard:1 7/21/17
Wolfo!:1 07/22/17
Level5:2 7/21/17
gruvsyco:1 7/21/17
aread:1 7/22/17
LED-man:1 7/25/17
numan7:1 8/19/17
treseja:1 8/19/17
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by fuzzbass on Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 34 times in total.
Wired for weird

Fubard
Common Wiggler

Post by Fubard » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:02 pm

I like the idea!
Thanks!

Jaytee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaytee » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:10 pm

Definitely interested. Planning to use the DC/DCs, so probably only if it can work with those.

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:34 am

Interested!

sanemalkavian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sanemalkavian » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:44 am

Interested!

heapish
Veteran Wiggler

Post by heapish » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:58 am

Interested...especially if it comes with an idiot proof pictorial instructions for fitting :)

heapish
Veteran Wiggler

Post by heapish » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:06 am

One question, has this been tested on a v1 with sync fitted? As im aware that the sync mod could cause cross talk and tuning issues.

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:18 am

heapish wrote:One question, has this been tested on a v1 with sync fitted? As im aware that the sync mod could cause cross talk and tuning issues.
My personal TTSH is V1 with sync, so as soon as I have the protoboards here, it will be tested on that. I have had sync working on my synth for a couple of years now and I don't notice what you mention.

When I breadboarded this, I did not evaluate how it reacts when the sawtooth it tracks is being reset via sync, but should be interesting.

The real payoff will be using two sine waves for FM and Ring Mod (that and blowing your speakers with the sub :bananaguitar: )

THIS JUST IN: Protos are back from Seeed. I'll be putting one together tomorrow.
Wired for weird

Don T
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Don T » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:07 pm

heapish wrote:One question, has this been tested on a v1 with sync fitted? As im aware that the sync mod could cause cross talk and tuning issues.
The Sync Mod has to be properly grounded, or these issues occur. With the proper grounding and use of properly grounded shielded cables, the circuit works cleanly. There is info on this in the v1 TTSH build thread, posted by me.

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:05 am

Don T wrote:
The Sync Mod has to be properly grounded, or these issues occur. With the proper grounding and use of properly grounded shielded cables, the circuit works cleanly. There is info on this in the v1 TTSH build thread, posted by me.
Worthwhile advice. [misleading photo removed]
Last edited by fuzzbass on Fri May 05, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wired for weird

heapish
Veteran Wiggler

Post by heapish » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:08 am

fuzzbass wrote:
My personal TTSH is V1 with sync, so as soon as I have the protoboards here, it will be tested on that. I have had sync working on my synth for a couple of years now and I don't notice what you mention.

When I breadboarded this, I did not evaluate how it reacts when the sawtooth it tracks is being reset via sync, but should be interesting.

The real payoff will be using two sine waves for FM and Ring Mod (that and blowing your speakers with the sub :bananaguitar: )

THIS JUST IN: Protos are back from Seeed. I'll be putting one together tomorrow.
Wicked. The problem for me only occured when I got greedy and tried 3 osillator sync. But 3 to 2 works fine. (3 as the sync noise, 2 sounds out normally, I can never remember the terminology on sync)
This is with the OSH park boards

groove
Common Wiggler

Post by groove » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:23 am

fuzzbass wrote: THIS JUST IN: Protos are back from Seeed. I'll be putting one together tomorrow.
looks great, I am interested...

Zifor
Common Wiggler

Post by Zifor » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:19 pm

Interested to see how this pans out :guinness: :hyper: :party: :goo: :sb:

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:40 pm

Its alive. There is a big error in my schematic, connected the lm301 compensating caps pins 5 and 8 (should be 1 and 8) I kluged a fix and tested everything.

Some problems with the silkscreening; one of the screw holes is about 1mm out. I'm surprised things are not worse, this is my first CAD generated PCB.

The actual draw is:
V+ 42ma
V- 17ma

BOM has no errors.

Responds nicely to sync. Gerbers updated and back out to Seeed for another round of prototypes. Should be back in two weeks.
Wired for weird

Zensac
Common Wiggler

Post by Zensac » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:33 pm

I'm also very interested!

grizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by grizzle » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:49 pm

I'm interested for sure!
Tunes-----> apartmentfox.bandcamp.com

needspeed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by needspeed » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:53 pm

Me 3 Interested :mrgreen:
To a never ending journey of exploring all noise that may or may not be music to someone or anyone.

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:55 pm

also interested!

cheers
"the ordinary will ignore whatever they cannot explain as if nothing ever happened. and everything remains the same again..."

jimfowler
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimfowler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:53 am

Sign me up

Jaytee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaytee » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:32 am

fuzzbass wrote: The actual draw is:
V+ 42ma
V- 17ma.
Can someone help me put this in terms of the DC/DC converters? I understand that they don't have much headroom in this design, but I'm not sure how much wiggle room there actually is. What is the draw from the Gatebooster, for that matter? Could one conceivably run this, the gatebooster, and the sync mod using the DC/DC converters or is that asking for trouble?

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:45 am

Jaytee wrote:
fuzzbass wrote: The actual draw is:
V+ 42ma
V- 17ma.
Can someone help me put this in terms of the DC/DC converters? I understand that they don't have much headroom in this design, but I'm not sure how much wiggle room there actually is. What is the draw from the Gatebooster, for that matter? Could one conceivably run this, the gatebooster, and the sync mod using the DC/DC converters or is that asking for trouble?
We are not going to know until the next round of testing, which will commence once i get the next set of prototypes back. We will know before sale commences.

If I recall, the booster uses about 12mA on V+ and almost nothing on V-.
Wired for weird

WELLENCOCKTAIL
Learning to Wiggle

Post by WELLENCOCKTAIL » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:11 am

Interested!!!

ishkabbible
Common Wiggler

Post by ishkabbible » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:23 am

Definitely interested.

Lanark
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lanark » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:52 pm

Interested :tu:

Drith
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Drith » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:27 pm

Sounds like a great addition, I'm interested.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”