PCBs as Front Panels ?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: PCBs as Front Panels ?

Post by elmegil » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:38 pm

bgreeves wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:58 pm
elmegil wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:03 pm
a panel doesn't require metallic highlights.
And a gift doesn't require a bow. And a sundae doesn't require a cherry.

I mean, why would people want anything besides a square of aluminum with sharpie on it? All you need is labels after all.
OH NOES IT'S SO TERRIBLE YOU CAN'T MAKE A PCB PANEL WITH ENIG WITH OUT SPENDING MONEY.

I mean, seriously. Either you want the look, and you're willing and able to pay for it, or you want to save money, so why agonize over the cost of ENIG?

bgreeves
Common Wiggler

Post by bgreeves » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:01 pm

I don't think anyone here is shocked that it costs more to get ENIG. Do you fault them for wanting to save as much money as possible?

elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by elmegil » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:53 am

Maybe we're just reading different conversations.

I saw people saying they were having difficulty figuring out why PCB panels were costing so much at JLC, which then turned into discussion of ENIG vs HASL.

If cost is your primary concern, you don't need metal. Am I wrong?

joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler

Post by joeSeggiola » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:06 am

elmegil wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:38 pm
OH NOES IT'S SO TERRIBLE YOU CAN'T MAKE A PCB PANEL WITH ENIG WITH OUT SPENDING MONEY. I mean, seriously. Either you want the look, and you're willing and able to pay for it, or you want to save money, so why agonize over the cost of ENIG? [...] If cost is your primary concern, you don't need metal. Am I wrong?
I'm not agonizing over the cost of ENIG, I do care about the look, I like using metal to decorate my panels, and in fact I clearly said I wasn't considering HASL an option to reduce the cost. Then people just shared some thoughts about surface finishes, remember: the thread is about discussing PCBs as front panels, it's not about me... I'm just trying to learn something by asking more experienced people where costs are. I really don't see what's wrong with that, even if cost is not on top of my list of concerns.

Now it'd be great if we (myself included) could get back writing constructive messages.

mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mskala » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:47 am

I see the difference between HASL and ENIG for a panel PCB as purely cosmetic, but if using HASL I would definitely use lead-free HASL. I don't want lead where the user's fingers go. It's a significantly different situation from circuit boards internal to a piece of equipment, where the person touching it can reasonably be told and expected to wash their hands afterward.
North Coast Synthesis Ltd.
Latest Web log posting: Passive multiples and friends

If you tell me that your goal is systemic change toward radical acceptance, and I see that you treat those you perceive as lesser-than with the same kind of scorn and derision that pushed me toward this insular little subculture where I feel comfortable [. . .] then you’ve successfully convinced me that your acceptance is not radical and the change you want not systemic. - Meredith Patterson

Flounderguts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:46 am

The best reason to use metallic graphics is because they are far more focused on traces than ss at jlc. If alignment and registration are important to you, do that in copper...with or without a coating.

Silkscreen isn't always great from them.

And the gold coating seems harder because it's thinner. It also won't oxidize (tarnish) over time, the way a HASL coating will. Besides, who doesn't like black and gold?
----------------------

Flounderguts

TechnoPrisoner
Common Wiggler

Post by TechnoPrisoner » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:18 am

What a great thread, lots of useful info ,thank you all for contributing !

I have a few questions since I am a beginner with building pcb panels.
I work with KiCad and I just want a simple FR4 black panel with some holes and some text printed on it, so far I have read that I should cover with copper both layers, the text will be on the Top panel, so I only need to "fill" information on KiCad on the these layers Front Copper,Bottom Copper,F.Silc and Edge.Cuts ,right or wrong ? The rest of the layers will be included in the gerber files but I don't need to add any info there,right ?

Please confirm and thank you !

bgreeves
Common Wiggler

Post by bgreeves » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:41 pm

TechnoPrisoner wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:18 am
What a great thread, lots of useful info ,thank you all for contributing !

I have a few questions since I am a beginner with building pcb panels.
I work with KiCad and I just want a simple FR4 black panel with some holes and some text printed on it, so far I have read that I should cover with copper both layers, the text will be on the Top panel, so I only need to "fill" information on KiCad on the these layers Front Copper,Bottom Copper,F.Silc and Edge.Cuts ,right or wrong ? The rest of the layers will be included in the gerber files but I don't need to add any info there,right ?

Please confirm and thank you !
I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what you're asking, but I think you've got it all right:
  • Set up the panel outline on the Edge.Cuts layer
  • Add NPTH pads for your holes (there's a few built-in footprints called like Mounting_Hole that you can use, and you can manually edit the hole sizes after placing them)
  • Add text to F.SilkS
  • Add two fill zones, one on F.Cu and one on B.Cu
  • Bob's yer uncle

Return to “Music Tech DIY”