Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Brawny
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Brawny » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:20 pm

To those ordering from the current BOM sent by SOMA - please be aware that it is incorrect in a few places! there are a couple of resistors short, and at least 4 caps.

I emailed SOMA about it and they have said to trust the silkscreen on the board as there are errors on the BOM. I have so far found to be short of:
2x 1uf electrolytic caps
2x 4.7uf ceramic caps
1x 12K ohm
1x 100 ohm
There is also no need for the 62k resistor
I'm a little frustrated by this, but given the complexity of this build, I can get on wth other parts of it while I try to find those extra bits locally.

Note that this is only the main board too, I'm going to finish off the control board shortly and check what's left.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

benjoy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by benjoy » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:22 am

Thanks for this!

I received 4 0.1uF 63 VDC (red) capacitors from the BOM - the labels for the components are different at times which is giving me mild anxiety.

Do these caps fit in the PCB spaces that are labeled '0.1mMP'?

I don't have the large '0.1mf 160v' (as per PCB) but have a '0.10uF 250v' (as per Mouser) which might be it.

Brawny
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Brawny » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:36 am

Yes, the 4x 0.1uf's are placed on the '0.1mMP' parts of the board. All the other 0.1's are ceramics. I went with the monolitic ones for the metal film types, the instructions say to use any 5.08mm polypropelene cap

You also need a total of 17 0.1uf ceramics, not 16 as the total BOM states. Luckily I had a pack of ceramics I got from Maplin before they shut down (RIP, could have relaly done with them today), so had a spare available, and salvaged 1uf's from a knackered distortion pedal, so just the 4.7ufs left for me, then the main board is done.

To summarise, you need an extra:
1X 0.1UF ceramic (total of 17 on the main board, plus 1 on I/O board)
2X 4.7UF ceramic (main board)
2X 1UF electrolytic (main board)
1x 30k resistor (there are 4 on the main board, 1 on the control board)
1x 100r resistor (1 on the I/O board, 11 on the main board)
1x 12k (1 on the I/O board, 1 on the main board)

I 'think' that's it, but please check the schematics against the BOM yourself, as I don't want to be responsible for any shortcomings! Always better to have more than less of what you need anyway.

My pots arrived today and switches will probably be here on monday, so I'll hopefully be in a position to test it by the end of the week. If that's the case, I'll be happy to share my cart, but I don't want to just yet in case it's wrong!

D.Tilbury
Learning to Wiggle

Post by D.Tilbury » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:41 pm

Hey,

Hella-props to this thread and the postaz. Really excited to try the build. I checcked out philguzzo's cart and noticed there were quite a few resistors that had high tolerance values (i.e. 5%). I usually only twerk my diy's with the low low value tolerances (i.e. max 1%) because of how the values can be so far away from what you really want or sensitive networks expect.
So, I'm wondering if anyone ever figured out how philguzzo's pcbs/project got brickwalled....the loose tolerance values might be a source of issues.
Trying to help the group and him/her.

There was another sole on here mentioning voltages that were unexpected....dis you happen to assemble using the mouser cart with the higher tolerance vals?

Any thoughts?

Btw, this is not a post trying to kick anyone under the bus for trying to help by posting their hard work at putting together boms for projects....by pointing out their mistakes..
....we are big people and I mean this post with upmost respect for everyone working at getting this project running.
I really feal for you when a build isnt working....it can be a "throwit across the room" kind of feels...kind of situation.
Aneehooz.
Chips, Love, and Wires.
-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

Brawny
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Brawny » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:04 am

I went for low tolerance parts too (where possible). I guess you could argue that higher tolerance could add more character to it, though. I was curious about Philguzzo's issues too, which is why I asked if anyone else had built from his mouser cart, which I believe at least one has succeeded with, so I don't think it's that. By the time I got a reply to the same question, I had already built my own cart, though. I will be nearing completion of the PCB build in a couple of days, so if that works I will happily share my cart, but you'll need to add the parts in my previous post (along with pots, switches, LEDs, thumbscrews and the chassis/mounting parts).

D.Tilbury
Learning to Wiggle

Post by D.Tilbury » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:20 am

:tu:
Yeah, Brawny, share away. I will order from it.
Thnx
-
-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

eno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eno » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:07 am

Hi, Im new here and just about to take the plunge and order the Lyra 8 DIY kit. This is a huge thread and I haven't read through every single page yet but my impression is that there are plenty of "gotchas" in this project that I will need to be aware of. I have experience making my own PCBs and building small projects but this is my first major synth project - a little bit scary but Im looking forward to a long term investment in something that will be truly unique.

The current instructions that SOMA sent me are labelled as "Rev 3" - Im not sure if this still has some mistakes in the BOM, does anybody know ?

Also is there an absolute final correct list of parts for Mouser (or some other component retailer) ?

I wanted to thank everyone in this thread for all their help / answers / ideas - thanks for sharing!

woodster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by woodster » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:23 am

Hey eno, welcome to Muff's

The LYRA8 I'm building is a V2.6 PCB, but the documents were called v3.
I had a slightly different set of missing parts from the BOM compared to others here in this thread.
I'm not sure if there is a confirmed definitive list of discrepancies for all versions of the PCB's and all of the versions of BOM, and you'll most definitely need to order parts from multiple vendors.
So far, I've sourced parts from Mouser, Tayda, Alixpress and eBay for the LYRA 8

Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wavy Davy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:23 pm

It would be convenient to have all the parts come with the kit, or at least a complete accurate BOM with vender sources/part#s.
But I knew that was not the case, when I started this.

I'm taking the attitude that, I will use the BOM + extra parts suggested, then proceed with the build, with the expectation that a few things won't fit, be missing, and/or be the wrong part.
So after getting as far as I can go assembling the boards, I will make a list of what I need, then scrounge around my spare parts box, and if needed, place another order.
I have other projects to keep me occupied while waiting, so no stress for me.
I have learned not to rush these kind of projects, no late nights trying to get it finished, causes to many mistakes.

Also much appreciation to the other builders who post helpful comments, and build tips :hail:

Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wavy Davy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:29 pm

One thing that I was surprised to have trouble sourcing, because the parts I have seen are so expensive, is the "thumb screws".
Since 16 are required, the cost adds up fast.

Can those who have made this, tell me what they purchased, from where, and at what cost per thumb screw?
I would be most grateful for that, thanks.

Thinking of using cheap hardware store screws to start with, then when I have better idea of how long/wide they need to be etc., ordering some real Thumb screws.
Not a lot of details in the SOMA BOM for some things.
:mygod:

D.Tilbury
Learning to Wiggle

Post by D.Tilbury » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:36 pm

These thumb screws that have been posted look cool. It would he interesting to see some other things used....maybe even some brass button looking things like schlappi 100 grit. I plan to try a few things. What my biggest obstacle is going to be is the front panel because I want to do something different....or maybe include parts of what everyone has done here so far. So, I'm going to think outloud and see if anybody digs these ideas.
What if you made the front panel out of some thick-ass acrylic...by thick-ass I only mean in between 3/16" to 3/8"....
Then include some sort of lighting from within the case wich changes when you press the finger trigers (thumb screws)....rgb leds being changed by pwm which has its duty cycle being changed by pitch or something....then,
Frost the panel and apply a black silk screen which covers most all of the panel....except for small areas with a design....pattern or only the writing. So, when you play it.....it lights up underneath and shines through the uncovered patterns.
-mic drops
-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wavy Davy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:22 am

The Schlappi 100 grit sounds cool, and those brass touch bumps, would be good for a Lyra-8 build.
Gives me an idea for using cap nuts

I like your backlight idea.
I was thinking clear panel with the individually addressable leds around the edges, that would illuminate the electronics inside.
With an Arduino, I can imagine having the lights change based on a variety of things, although I don't know how to do that yet.

For me the simple thing would be to have an off the shelf device control the LEDs.
individually addressable led strip controller

I really like your idea of masking an opaque panel with black that lets the labels show the backlit.
That would be great for late night, low light jams.
Last edited by Wavy Davy on Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wavy Davy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:34 am

Wavy Davy wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:29 pm
One thing that I was surprised to have trouble sourcing, because the parts I have seen are so expensive, is the "thumb screws".

Can those who have made this, tell me what they purchased, from where, and at what cost per thumb screw?

Thinking of using cheap hardware store screws to start with, then when I have better idea of how long/wide they need to be etc., ordering some real Thumb screws.
A friend of mine used copper pennies glued to wood, for touch pads, and that worked ok.
Since I will be making my own front panel, I guess I could do something like that.
Opens up lots of possibilities, as long as it works electronically.

It's really great that Vlad sells us the LYRA-8 kit, so we can make our own custom builds.
Mine should arrive any day now.

D.Tilbury
Learning to Wiggle

Post by D.Tilbury » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:52 am

Wavy Davy wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:22 am
I like your backlight idea.
I was thinking clear panel with the individually addressable leds around the edges, that would illuminate the electronics inside.
With an Arduino, I can imagine having the lights change based on a variety of things, although I don't know how to do that yet.

For me the simple thing would be to have an off the shelf device control the LEDs.
individually addressable led strip controller

I really like your idea of masking an opaque panel with black that lets the labels show the backlit.
That would be cool for late night, low light jams.
Absolutely...I know of an ada fruit rgb led driver board that is supposed to be controlled with SPI....I think....might support other protocols. This thing handles up to 24 channels. They mention some arduino libraries to use with the board.
Screenshot_20200218-104820_Chrome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

Brawny
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Brawny » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:46 pm

Ok, I have finished the build.

There are a couple of niggle, voice 5 is on constantly, and 7 isn't at all, but I'm certain this is just to do with my build. I'm actually amazed everything else seems to work as this is by far the trickiest project I've undertaken. Just a couple of tweaks, and I'm sure it will all be gravy!

So, without further adieu, here's my mouser cart - please don't forget to add the components above, as this is basically what I ordered.

I also sent the additional parts to Max @ soma, so I hope they get future BOMs correct for everyone (unless it's some sort of game they like to play) :hihi:

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProjectManager ... fd50fc5c24

Best of luck to you all, will post up more when I've got the unit fully functional and some sort of chassis around it!

eno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eno » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:33 pm

woodster wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:23 am
Hey eno, welcome to Muff's

The LYRA8 I'm building is a V2.6 PCB, but the documents were called v3.
I had a slightly different set of missing parts from the BOM compared to others here in this thread.
I'm not sure if there is a confirmed definitive list of discrepancies for all versions of the PCB's and all of the versions of BOM, and you'll most definitely need to order parts from multiple vendors.
So far, I've sourced parts from Mouser, Tayda, Alixpress and eBay for the LYRA 8
Ive ordered the boards so have some time to source parts :-)
But it sounds like each version of the kit has differences, which sounds like a PITA.

Im in New York, will the Mouser cart work in the US ?

I think in situation like this, maybe the best thing to do is to gather the joint wisdom of the thread by putting together a Google spreadsheet that we can all edit/correct. What do you guys think ?

eno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eno » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:12 pm

Its been fun looking at people's front panel designs.

Lately Ive been looking at the Fusebox from Analog Solutions and wondering how an orange Lyra 8 with matt black modern knobs would look like...
https://www.analoguesolutions.com/fusebox

woodster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by woodster » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:06 pm

Wavy Davy wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:29 pm

I got them from AliExpress - 2x 10 pack of M3 8mm cost me $3.64 -

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3269216 ... 4c4dzpI1pD

There is a wait incurred obviously, but for the price, you can't go wrong.

I still have some BOM related questions, which I'll post about below...

woodster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by woodster » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:47 pm

I've just received a Hammond Chassis (Mouser Part Number: 546-1444-12123) and have a Schaeffer Front Panel due (based off a design from earlier on in this thread), so my thoughts are again returning to building this amazing thing.
Obviously I'm going to have to work out how to drill all of the holes accurately,
I'm putting these bits here, and asking these questions, so hopefully others don't have to repeat the head scratching, and I'm getting a fair few PM's...

With regard to switches, I've interpreted it like this -

MTS-202 (DPDT ON-ON)
MTS-203 (DPDT ON-OFF-ON)

MTS-102 (SPDT ON-ON)
MTS-103 (SPDT ON-OFF-ON)

I already had many parts on hand, so never needed to order them in, but for most that I did need to order, I found the part numbers spread over both of the Digikey and Mouser files included in the files when I purchased the PCB's (if ordering from Mouser, just have a tab open with Digikey, paste the Digikey number into their search, and then simply copy/paste the Manufacturers Part Number from the Digikey page into Mousers search, bish, bash, bosh).
Ignore the quantities in the Digikey and Mouser BOM's. always refer back to the PCB and main BOM (taking into consideration the shortcomings of main BOM as listed in this thread). If you blindly order from the Digikey BOM quantities, you'll waste a LOT of money, and still be way off in terms of components needed to finish.

I don't know what the 4x 'Rubber stand' listed in the BOM are ?
4x Rubber Feet for the bottom?
The 2x 'Screw M2/6mm'. What are they used for ?
From looking at an original LYRA-8, I think they might have been for the PSU On/Off switch?
Which leads me to... What Power Switch did any of you fine people use ? anybody used the Hammond Chassis for their LYRA have any build input?
I've got a variety of ones from Tayda, but not sure if there are space restrictions inside the case ?

eno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eno » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:04 pm

Does anyone recognize the knobs used on the MeeBlip Geode ?

gluepet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gluepet » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:49 pm

Brawny wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:46 pm
So, without further adieu, here's my mouser cart - please don't forget to add the components above, as this is basically what I ordered.
Brawny, Thanks so much for sharing your cart! A couple of the missing components that you mentioned above don't seem to appear in any quantity in current cart - could you please share the mouser product #'s that you chose for the following?:
• 2X 4.7UF ceramic (main board)
• 2X 1UF electrolytic (main board)
:hail: Many Thanks! :hail:

Watson1983
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Watson1983 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:15 am

Hi to everyone!!
A newby here. My kit is coming and now reading compulsively the hole thread. I will have a lot of questions ,for sure,but first i´d like to thank to everyone their job and support here.

We´ll keep in touch.

By the way,they are shipping kits right now (for those who didn´t know) :hyper:

Brawny
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Brawny » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:38 am

gluepet wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:49 pm
Brawny wrote:
Brawny, Thanks so much for sharing your cart! A couple of the missing components that you mentioned above don't seem to appear in any quantity in current cart - could you please share the mouser product #'s that you chose for the following?:
• 2X 4.7UF ceramic (main board)
• 2X 1UF electrolytic (main board)
:hail: Many Thanks! :hail:
I actually ended up ordering those parts from ebay, as it was much easier than going through mouser, but for each, I would imagine 2 of each these could be added without issue:

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/ ... Fkqjxx0%3D
https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/ ... FGAiBhw%3D

I now have a fully functioning Lyra-8 after some frankly silly niggles. I overcooked a solder pad for a ribbon cable, so had to wire it directly to a pot, and the other was just a cable the wrong way around. It sounding lovely now. Just need to think and work on a box :hyper:

gluepet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gluepet » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:10 am

Brawny wrote:
I now have a fully functioning Lyra-8 after some frankly silly niggles. I overcooked a solder pad for a ribbon cable, so had to wire it directly to a pot, and the other was just a cable the wrong way around. It sounding lovely now. Just need to think and work on a box :hyper:
Thanks again and Congrats on your Lyra build! - please share some pics when you get the case worked out! :sb:

Watson1983
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Watson1983 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:59 pm

Would there be any problem if i change some electrolythic capacitors for other smaller ones (just in size,not in values for sure)?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”