Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

musicorchard
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by musicorchard » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:18 am

Potentiometer question: I purchased the Alpha pots (Tayda) per the BOM, but there is a tab that runs parallel to the shaft that prevents it from sitting flush with the PCB. It looks like the pot needs to be in contact with the conductive ring on the PCB though. I can add a nut to make the contact and keep the part level, but then the shaft is much shorter and I worry how things will fit once I add the panel. Is adding the nut the normal procedure or do I need to fit down the tab to make the whole thing flush? Based off the pictures I see in this thread, it looks like most of the pots are flush with the PCB.

I hope this makes sense... Sorry if it's a silly question, but with a project this size I want to make sure I'm doing everything as correct as possible!

PS. @Wavy Davy Your build pics are awesome and I'm loving the build battle station you have set up!

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:46 am

This is pretty common with stuff where the pot is mounted on the backplane.

These pots are meant to mount on a panel, and the tab keeps the pot from turning in its shaft hole. Because you are going to solder the pots to the board, the tab is not necessary. Just clip it off with angle cutters, or you can break it off with a pair of pliers.

It will still make contact with the ring, which is acting as part of the ground plane. If you feel you need a super duper contact, you can put a blob of solder where the pot body contacts the ring, but I don't think it's needed.
----------------------

Flounderguts

musicorchard
Learning to Wiggle

Post by musicorchard » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:03 am

Flounderguts wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:46 am
This is pretty common with stuff where the pot is mounted on the backplane.

These pots are meant to mount on a panel, and the tab keeps the pot from turning in its shaft hole. Because you are going to solder the pots to the board, the tab is not necessary. Just clip it off with angle cutters, or you can break it off with a pair of pliers.

It will still make contact with the ring, which is acting as part of the ground plane. If you feel you need a super duper contact, you can put a blob of solder where the pot body contacts the ring, but I don't think it's needed.
Awesome! Thanks for the info! ;)

eno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eno » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:13 pm

Can anyone in the US give me a sense of how long it took for the boards to reach them ?
I ordered at the end of February and its been over 3 weeks since they shipped...

musicorchard
Learning to Wiggle

Post by musicorchard » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:27 pm

eno wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:13 pm
Can anyone in the US give me a sense of how long it took for the boards to reach them ?
I ordered at the end of February and its been over 3 weeks since they shipped...
It took just over a month to get to the East coast for me and there was a chunk of time where there weren't any updates to the shipping. In the meantime I ordered all the parts and double checked everything with the BOM and pictures of the PCB. Glad it arrived when it did though cause I needed a project badly!

eno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eno » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:55 pm

musicorchard wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:27 pm
It took just over a month to get to the East coast for me and there was a chunk of time where there weren't any updates to the shipping. In the meantime I ordered all the parts and double checked everything with the BOM and pictures of the PCB. Glad it arrived when it did though cause I needed a project badly!
Im on the East Coast too so that's good to know.
I should start getting the parts together, etc.

Did you use a cart shared here or make your own ?

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:05 pm

From the day I paid to the day shipped, 10 days. Mine shipped on March 3, arrived March 17.

It spend more time in customs in the USA than it did in transit.
----------------------

Flounderguts

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:08 pm

Im on the East Coast too so that's good to know.
I should start getting the parts together, etc.

Did you use a cart shared here or make your own ?
FYI, I still have several of the russian tone caps...2 are spoken for, but I think I have another 5 or 6. That's the "CCCP .1mF 160V"
They are vintage K42Y-2 oil and paper caps. Great for your Precision Bass, too!
----------------------

Flounderguts

musicorchard
Learning to Wiggle

Post by musicorchard » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:26 pm

@eno I used one of the mouser carts earlier in this thread. I still found it helpful to cross check the PCB pics with the BOM to make sure component counts were solid. I found all the parts between mouser, tayda, and used eBay for the switches.

@flounderguts I'm currently using a Roederstein 0.1uF 160volt 2.5% Film Capacitor. I would be happy to buy one of the Russian vintage ones off of you though! I want this beast to be as mean as possible :sb:

whyfarer
Common Wiggler

Post by whyfarer » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:50 am

@flounderguts PM sent for a russian tone cap!

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:55 pm

Quick update for those of you waiting on me...

If you didn't know, my town had a pretty rough earthquake on the 18th. We're still having aftershocks, and my brick house is shifting day by day, so that has taken up a lot of bandwidth.

On the expansion panels, I am slowly getting all the routing done...my workstation is in our basement, and I don't like being down there when the aftershocks get bouncy.

I grabbed that load of oil caps...there are 5 currently unclaimed. Everyone who PM'd me, your caps will get mailed tomorrow. If they smell a bit of isopropyl, that's because I'm going to disinfect them in their baggies...just in case.

cheerio!
----------------------

Flounderguts

SynthesizeMeCaptain
1-Post Wiggler

Post by SynthesizeMeCaptain » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:45 pm

Can anyone share their wiring setup for the power input, switch, and headphone jack from the in/out board? I'm pretty sure I ordered the correct parts, but seeing how it should be would greatly help me out! :tu:

gluepet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gluepet » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:33 pm

Does anyone know if the big 2200μF(2200m) cap can be mounted perpendicular to PCB and still clear the case, if using the Hammond 12x12x3"? I mounted it like this without thinking - but I see that others have as well - so wanted to make sure before removing/replacing it.

deformative
Learning to Wiggle

Post by deformative » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:38 pm

People that have gotten kits recently - how long were you on the wait list? I've been on it since December, want to make sure I didn't miss something. Thanks!

woodster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by woodster » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:25 pm

gluepet wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:33 pm
Does anyone know if the big 2200μF(2200m) cap can be mounted perpendicular to PCB and still clear the case, if using the Hammond 12x12x3"? I mounted it like this without thinking - but I see that others have as well - so wanted to make sure before removing/replacing it.
I'm not sure, but I don't think it will fit, but it possibly depends on how you have connected the Panel PCB to the Main PCB and lengths of stand-offs used etc.

I fitted mine flat, with a retaining 'strap' as per the Lyra builds.

If it doesn't fit, it'll be a simple enough thing to rectify.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gluepet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gluepet » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:44 pm

woodster wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:25 pm
I fitted mine flat, with a retaining 'strap' as per the Lyra builds.
Good call - I had an extra cap, so I just decided to go ahead and re-do

whyfarer
Common Wiggler

Post by whyfarer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:16 pm

deformative wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:38 pm
People that have gotten kits recently - how long were you on the wait list? I've been on it since December, want to make sure I didn't miss something. Thanks!
Not recently, but I got my name on the waitlist in nov 2017, and my boards were ready in july 2018. Just getting around to sourcing everything to build it in mar 2020 :despair:

whyfarer
Common Wiggler

Post by whyfarer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:21 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:55 pm
Quick update for those of you waiting on me...

If you didn't know, my town had a pretty rough earthquake on the 18th. We're still having aftershocks, and my brick house is shifting day by day, so that has taken up a lot of bandwidth.

On the expansion panels, I am slowly getting all the routing done...my workstation is in our basement, and I don't like being down there when the aftershocks get bouncy.

I grabbed that load of oil caps...there are 5 currently unclaimed. Everyone who PM'd me, your caps will get mailed tomorrow. If they smell a bit of isopropyl, that's because I'm going to disinfect them in their baggies...just in case.

cheerio!
I hope that the aftershocks and the house quiet down soon.

many thanks for shipping the caps, especially in light of the earth shaking. take care

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:54 am

deformative wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:38 pm
I didn't get a notification that my kit was ready. I saw a post here that someone was getting *theirs,* and emailed SOMA. About 3 hours later I got a notice "Your kit is ready!"

Might be good to email. They're pretty straightforward guys, but it's easy to fall through the cracks, ne?
----------------------

Flounderguts

deformative
Learning to Wiggle

Post by deformative » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:14 pm

Thanks. I sent them a message, about a 1 month wait left for me. Time to start building up a mouser cart.

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:23 pm

deformative wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:14 pm
Thanks. I sent them a message, about a 1 month wait left for me. Time to start building up a mouser cart.
I saved a bundle using Tayda. I posted the cart in this thread a few weeks ago. I think it was about $85 difference...
----------------------

Flounderguts

whyfarer
Common Wiggler

Post by whyfarer » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:54 am

Flounderguts wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:23 pm
deformative wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:14 pm
I saved a bundle using Tayda. I posted the cart in this thread a few weeks ago. I think it was about $85 difference...
seconding this. I looked at mouser, digikey, and tayda. tayda was by far the cheapest route

whyfarer
Common Wiggler

Post by whyfarer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:57 am

I have a question on panel minimum panel thickness. I'm strongly leaning towards etching an anodized aluminum panel for my build. From this thread it seems like 2.5mm may be approaching max thickness, does anyone have thoughts on the minimum thickness needed to have sturdy panel of this size?

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:38 pm

3 mm is standard metric gauge for aluminum panel. Most places stock 2, 2.5, and 3.

If your supplier isn't metric fluent, then the common sizes are .100 and .125
.090 is common, too. I'd suggest that 5052 is better for panels than 6061 alloy, but it doesn't matter much.

I think 2mm/090 might be a bit flexy, although the pcbs really stiffen it up the way it's constructed. 090 STEEL would be great, and probably easier to etch cleanly. And cheap!

My big 5u panels are between 2.5 and 3 mm, and they are plenty stiff. I regularly use 3 mm aluminum for my rackmount stuff.

A bit of a scattered reply, but I hope it helps!
----------------------

Flounderguts

eno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eno » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:35 pm

whyfarer wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:54 am
seconding this. I looked at mouser, digikey, and tayda. tayda was by far the cheapest route
Im in the US, specifically East Coast and with the COVID-19 slowdown generally I would prefer to buy from somewhere in the US. Any preference between Mouser and Digikey ? Like perhaps one is more likely to have most of the parts than the other ?
Last edited by eno on Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”