Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Flounderguts » Fri May 08, 2020 3:43 pm

You can export the brd layer of a gerber to any pcb layout program to check it, then convert to a full gerber and send it to a pcb company.

If you liked the middle of my extended panel, I saved it as a regular Lyra-8 version as well. It's in the EasyEDA shared public files, so you can click on it and order from JCBPCB anytime. Minimum order is 5, tho...

If you can drum up 4 more people, I'd be happy to have some made...
----------------------

Flounderguts

gluepet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gluepet » Fri May 08, 2020 5:41 pm

Thanks, Flounderguts - will check them out!

Stoneyards
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Stoneyards » Fri May 08, 2020 5:56 pm

Flounderguts, I’m down for going in on an expanded panel - and expansion PCBs, if you still have any left in that first batch.

3 more to go!

whyfarer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by whyfarer » Fri May 08, 2020 6:17 pm

gluepet wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:48 am
In looking for more cost effective alternatives to a nice FPE panel, I am curious to know how to use the .BRD file that user Oscillosaurus posted early in thread. Is this intended to be printed/cut by an online PCB provider from PCB material? I have not been able to find much about utilizing this file format, other than ways to convert it to gerber and pdf files. Any thoughts appreciated - Thanks!
Are you willing to roll your own? I bought a 12x24 inch 13gauge stainless steel panel for $35 shipped. I cut off 5 inches to leave a 19" wide piece for my lyra8 build (perfect for use with flounderguts awesome extension PCBs) and 12"x5" which I'm cutting up to practice etching while making euro panels. My etching process needs only beeswax/electrical tape, salt water, and a battery. You could of course print or engrave it other ways.

whyfarer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by whyfarer » Fri May 08, 2020 6:29 pm

flounderguts, any word on kits, partial kits, or PCBs? If you think it's likely you'll be selling some I'm happy to wait, but otherwise I'd start looking into sourcing my own PCBs and parts.

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Sat May 09, 2020 6:32 am

They're coming...as soon as they arrive and I verify they work, I'll let everyone know!
----------------------

Flounderguts

whyfarer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by whyfarer » Sat May 09, 2020 11:00 am

Flounderguts wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:32 am
They're coming...as soon as they arrive and I verify they work, I'll let everyone know!
:goo: :yay: :goo:

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Sat May 09, 2020 5:16 pm

If I made panels for the standard Lyra-8, what color would be preferred? Black, Purple, or Blue? They would be $40 plus shipping.

lyra standard.jpg
lyra standard black.jpg
lyra purple.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
----------------------

Flounderguts

CarlosUnch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CarlosUnch » Sun May 10, 2020 10:00 am

Flounderguts wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:34 pm

Could the thumbscrews be replaced by ENIG pads on a PCB? I can't see a reason why not...
Has somebody tried this?

Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wavy Davy » Sun May 10, 2020 10:22 am

Here are some pictures of the progress I am making, with the case and knobs for my LYRA-8.
I glued together some dark and light colored hardwood, for the sides and used 3 coats of oil based varnish, to seal the wood.

For the knobs (except frequency), I used a hole saw to cut them from a wood panel.
Then I sanded them smooth, rounded the top edge, and beveled a few of them.
After sanding, I stained them different colors, according to function, with fountain pen ink, thinned with alcohol.
Then coated them with an oil based varnish.
For the raised white dot pointers, I used small white finishing nails, cut in half. Drilled holes, and tapped them in.
In time, I may replace the store bought frequency knobs, with more home made wood ones.
I like the woodsy home made look.

Next step is to design and print a paper label to put on the top and back, for indicating what the knobs/switches do.
In the last picture, you can see my LYRA-8s little buddy, the Benjolin, witch already has a paper label attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Sun May 10, 2020 10:28 am

CarlosUnch wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:00 am
Flounderguts wrote:

Could the thumbscrews be replaced by ENIG pads on a PCB? I can't see a reason why not...
Has somebody tried this?
Yeah, I tried it with a homemade board. Works fine, but ultimately I decided I liked the industrial screw look.

I did design a board with pads, though...
thumbpads.jpg
----------------------

Flounderguts

red-tin-dave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by red-tin-dave » Sun May 10, 2020 1:19 pm

cjnuk3 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:04 am
Bitsbox! I've always had great service from them and they have a fixed postage charge of £1.90 no matter what you order. Might not be ideal on a 6p capacitor but if you're buying other stuff it's worthwhile. I have no connection with them, just a satisfied customer.

red-tin-dave wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:44 am
Anyone in the UK found a supplier for the 510pf ceramic cap? I know they have them at Mouser but £12 delivery on a part that costs about £1 seems a bit daft. I can find SMD but no through hole anywhere.
TIA
Thanks! I've never used them - I'll check them out

CarlosUnch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CarlosUnch » Sun May 10, 2020 1:56 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:28 am
CarlosUnch wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:00 am
Flounderguts wrote:

Has somebody tried this?
Yeah, I tried it with a homemade board. Works fine, but ultimately I decided I liked the industrial screw look.

I did design a board with pads, though...thumbpads.jpg

Woah great! Would you share the file for kicad or eagle? That'd make the process a LOT easier :)

red-tin-dave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by red-tin-dave » Tue May 12, 2020 8:02 am

Wavy Davy wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:22 am
Here are some pictures of the progress I am making, with the case and knobs for my LYRA-8.
I glued together some dark and light colored hardwood, for the sides and used 3 coats of oil based varnish, to seal the wood.

For the knobs (except frequency), I used a hole saw to cut them from a wood panel.
Then I sanded them smooth, rounded the top edge, and beveled a few of them.
After sanding, I stained them different colors, according to function, with fountain pen ink, thinned with alcohol.
Then coated them with an oil based varnish.
For the raised white dot pointers, I used small white finishing nails, cut in half. Drilled holes, and tapped them in.
In time, I may replace the store bought frequency knobs, with more home made wood ones.
I like the woodsy home made look.

Next step is to design and print a paper label to put on the top and back, for indicating what the knobs/switches do.
In the last picture, you can see my LYRA-8s little buddy, the Benjolin, witch already has a paper label attached.
Love this! (and that's a nice cat)

Addam
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Addam » Tue May 12, 2020 10:14 am

Flounderguts wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:17 pm
Question:

On the IO board, there is a pad between the external in and the out jacks. It is a large pad, connected to a 5.1 ohm resistor, but nothing else.

There is no silkscreen on the backside of this to show if a component goes there, but in the photos of the inside of the Lyra, there seem to be pins coming through. Anyone know what this is? Am I just really stupid?
I emailed Vlad about this previously (I built a Lyra 4 but I'm guessing it's the same), his response indicated this should connect to the enclosure for grounding.

I am just tuning back into this thread, have the Lyra 8 boards with some components soldered. Are you planning on selling any extra expansion PCBs by chance? Perhaps a front panel that incorporates the expansions? :hyper: If not, I might be into buying a blue or black panel if you go ahead with them

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Tue May 12, 2020 10:36 am

Addam wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:14 am
Flounderguts wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:17 pm
Question:

On the IO board, there is a pad between the external in and the out jacks. It is a large pad, connected to a 5.1 ohm resistor, but nothing else.

There is no silkscreen on the backside of this to show if a component goes there, but in the photos of the inside of the Lyra, there seem to be pins coming through. Anyone know what this is? Am I just really stupid?
I emailed Vlad about this previously (I built a Lyra 4 but I'm guessing it's the same), his response indicated this should connect to the enclosure for grounding.

I am just tuning back into this thread, have the Lyra 8 boards with some components soldered. Are you planning on selling any extra expansion PCBs by chance? Perhaps a front panel that incorporates the expansions? :hyper: If not, I might be into buying a blue or black panel if you go ahead with them
Thanks! I thought it might be a ground collector pad.

Yes, I have extra expansion PCBs and I will have the front panels as well. If you read back in the thread, there are some pix of the expansion front panel (they are white with gold and black) as well as a 1u panel for I/O. PM me and I'll add you to the list. Once I get the panels and ensure they will actually fit and work, I'll mail them out. I'm guessing I'm about 2 to 3 weeks away from actually sending out the PCBs. I also have a few of the 160V CCCP caps left.
----------------------

Flounderguts

Addam
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Addam » Tue May 12, 2020 11:04 am

FlounderGuts wrote:
Yes, I have extra expansion PCBs and I will have the front panels as well. If you read back in the thread, there are some pix of the expansion front panel (they are white with gold and black) as well as a 1u panel for I/O. PM me and I'll add you to the list. Once I get the panels and ensure they will actually fit and work, I'll mail them out. I'm guessing I'm about 2 to 3 weeks away from actually sending out the PCBs. I also have a few of the 160V CCCP caps left.
Oh man, I really thought I was done with diy for a while.. I'll send you a separate PM after I take a closer look at the thread.

Rackmount version might be nice to mount in a dj mixer flight case.

Curious if gate inputs could easily be substituted for the toggles on the 1U for integration with modular. :hmm:

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Tue May 12, 2020 1:04 pm

Curious if gate inputs could easily be substituted for the toggles on the 1U for integration with modular. :hmm:
Certainly lots of room back there. It's a good idea.
----------------------

Flounderguts

Stoneyards
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Stoneyards » Tue May 12, 2020 9:25 pm

Flounderguts, I sent a PM re: panels and PCBs. (Way cool!)

How are you thinking about enclosures for the 19" rack mount and expansion? Are you imagining the breakout to be a separate enclosure, or were you considering them as a unit?

eno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eno » Thu May 14, 2020 6:30 pm

contemptussaeculi wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:24 pm
I guess I have a few months of waiting before the next PCB batch is ready. @eno If you're in the US, how much was shipping?
Sorry for the slow response. I checked my order email, and I paid $40 for the S&H.

gluepet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gluepet » Sat May 16, 2020 9:25 am

Wavy Davy wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:22 am
This looks killer - Thanks for sharing!

buttdispenser
Learning to Wiggle

Post by buttdispenser » Sun May 17, 2020 2:09 am

Hello! I'm almost finished with the electronics part of the build. But I'm still lacking the 4.7uF and 510pF ceramic capacitors and the FR207 diode and the sellers on ebay cancelled the order because of the epidemic..

Is there someone who got some leftovers and would send the parts over to Switzerland? Pretty pleeease :cry:
I can't wait to make the first sound test!

gluepet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gluepet » Wed May 20, 2020 5:26 pm

Front Panel has arrived!

rationale_music
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rationale_music » Thu May 21, 2020 1:33 am

Hi All, this is my first post on the forum!

I put together a DIY Lyra 4 kit a while ago but have just now gotten around to debugging it. So far I've worked out all the issues (including replacing the defective 4093 SOIC that came with the kit), but I was wondering if I could pick the collective knowledge here on a couple final issues I'm having:

1. The LFO signal is bleeding into the audio path, creating this low but constant rhythmic popping sound whenever the synth is on.

2. There's low but noticeable bleeding from the lower voices into the higher ones when the higher ones are triggered, even at low volumes.

I should note that I have not yet installed the PCB shield as I still want access to the back of the board if needed.

Any idea what might be causing these?

gluepet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gluepet » Thu May 21, 2020 7:25 am

rationale_music wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:33 am
1. The LFO signal is bleeding into the audio path, creating this low but constant rhythmic popping sound whenever the synth is on.
I had a similar issue and the following was the recommended procedure from SOMA:
First remove the LED and see if noise is alleviated. If so, you can increase the value of current limiting resistor going from led to ground, start with double the value and work from there, you can find the balance between noise and led brightness experimentally, also throw a wire from that resistor's ground leg directly to the ground of the power supply jack.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”