Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

red-tin-dave
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by red-tin-dave » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:41 am

seal_cobblr wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:12 am
red-tin-dave wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:17 am

It's droning away like massive swarm of wasps as I type! :)
Oh man, I hope this is where my build went wrong. This thing is a nightmare to troubleshoot.
It's not easy is it?. Before I found the problem I checked none of the ICs had bent legs and all were properly in their sockets. I checked all the transistors were the right ones (easy to get a BC557 mixed up with a BC547!) - I have a USB microscope that made it easier to read the print on them, and that they were all the right way round. I buzzed out all the pot and switch connections and the ribbon cables - if I'd had any hair i would have been pulling it out when I couldn't find anything wrong!
Good luck with yours.

rationale_music
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rationale_music » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:56 am

So I finally got my Lyra 4 all put together (save for the all-important wood side-panels) including the mods I had been planning and it's been a blast so far! I put together a video of the cool stuff you can do with the Hyper LFO controlling the clock-in of a drum machine.

If folks are interested I can post some pics/schematics of what I did for the mods. They're pretty straightforward.

red-tin-dave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by red-tin-dave » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:46 am

rationale_music wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:56 am

If folks are interested I can post some pics/schematics of what I did for the mods. They're pretty straightforward.
That sounds really interesting - I'd definitely be interested.

seal_cobblr
Learning to Wiggle

Post by seal_cobblr » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:05 pm

red-tin-dave wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:41 am
seal_cobblr wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:12 am
red-tin-dave wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:17 am

It's droning away like massive swarm of wasps as I type! :)
Oh man, I hope this is where my build went wrong. This thing is a nightmare to troubleshoot.
It's not easy is it?. Before I found the problem I checked none of the ICs had bent legs and all were properly in their sockets. I checked all the transistors were the right ones (easy to get a BC557 mixed up with a BC547!) - I have a USB microscope that made it easier to read the print on them, and that they were all the right way round. I buzzed out all the pot and switch connections and the ribbon cables - if I'd had any hair i would have been pulling it out when I couldn't find anything wrong!
Good luck with yours.
I've build lots of stuff over the years but always projects, where the diagram was readily available... I´m at a point where theres hardly ever issues to iron out, and where solving the few issues is not too difficult but still rewarding. But the Lyra has been the most frustrating by far. I've gone over ICs, transistors, capacitors, resistors and joints again and again with no luck. So this is the third time around. I found a bad solderjoint yesterday, but the issues havent been remidied yet.

It´s going back on the shelf again soon for another 3-6 month hiatus...

neutronarmy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by neutronarmy » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:02 pm

red-tin-dave wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:46 am
rationale_music wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:56 am

That sounds really interesting - I'd definitely be interested.
Seconded! Still making final plans for my build and I've been considering an LFO/clock output. I'm curious how the process went. The demo video was great!

rationale_music
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rationale_music » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:36 pm

Okay, so here's the basic rundown on the mods:

This is the basic schematic for each mod. Please pardon my handwriting:
Mod Schematic.jpg
The resistors are for a selectable voltage-divider circuit to drop the 12Vp-p LFO signals to 5V. The resistor values are approximate. I think 5.6k and 4.3k will get you closer to 5V (mine measures about 5.4Vp-p), but these are what I had on hand.

Here's Vlad's pointer for the audio-in:
LYRA-4 EXTERNAL AUDIO IN.jpg
I should point out that inserting audio into the signal path here pretty much kills out the output of the voices. I attempted to attenuate and even buffer the incoming signal to see if that would help but the results weren't satisfactory. I have no idea if this is how it works on the production or DIY Lyra 8. The best I could do was get a pot to go full-audio-input > a ~50% blend of both audio-in and voices > no sound at all. Perhaps someone else can come up with a solution for that as it would be nice to mix the external input with the Lyra's voices.

You should be able to find taps for the AND/OR LFO signals on the headers of the voice board:
AND-OR Taps.jpg
In my case, I routed all of the patch points to a spare header section on the board (thanks Vlad!) and made another connector for them:
PCB Back.jpg
Open Case.jpg
This is the (admittedly messy) output section for the mods, which includes the switches for the output voltage dividers. A bit of a tight spot to work in while doing point-to-point wiring!
P2P closeup.jpg
Another note that I should point out from my video is that the Korg Volca series runs its synchronization clock at essentially 2ppq. Why they chose this instead of something more standard is beyond me, but it seems to play with the Lyra well enough that I'll let it slide. Just know that because of the varying sync standards in equipment, you might not experience the same results trying to clock your gear with the Lyra's LFO.

Also, for those still working on diagnosing theirs, I started drawing up a quick-and-dirty schematic of one of the voices. The voice architecture seems incredibly simple compared to something like a VCO (I believe the Lyra uses Schmitt-Trigger relaxation oscillators), but keep in mind that I'm not an electrical engineer, just a hobbyist, so take this diagram with a BIG pinch of salt:
Partial Voice Schematic.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:19 am

Has anyone fitted their Lyra with multiturn/precision pots on the tune? If so how did it go and how do you like the result?

neutronarmy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by neutronarmy » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:25 pm

@rationale_music - Thanks for your work and documentation! I'll let you know how it goes on the Lyra-8 in the upcoming weeks.

@tlB - I bought a set of 10-turn pots from Aliexpress in the applicable value. My intent is to use them, but I will experiment first before committing.

red-tin-dave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by red-tin-dave » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:12 am

For anyone who's interested it looks like there's another batch of PCBs available

steviet
Common Wiggler

Post by steviet » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:14 am

red-tin-dave wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:12 am
For anyone who's interested it looks like there's another batch of PCBs available
I am definitely interested! I messaged flounderguts about a PCB run they were doing.

How can I go about grabbing these PCBs?
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

red-tin-dave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by red-tin-dave » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:16 am

steviet wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:14 am
red-tin-dave wrote:
I am definitely interested! I messaged flounderguts about a PCB run they were doing.

How can I go about grabbing these PCBs?
Here is a copy of the email I got ...
Hi Dave,
We're happy to announce that your LYRA 8 DIY KIT is ready to ship now.

The kit comes in a simple version (just PCBs + rare ICs + drawings\instructions). The enclosure and standard parts are not provided!
Description of the kit:

Price:
LYRA-8 DIY kit ------------- 100 USD / 86 EUR
EMS Express Shipment+Insurance+Handling+Tracking -------- 40 USD / 36 EUR
Money transfer commissions

SOMA Labs recommends using Payoneer as the transfer fees are lower. You can also use PayPal which is quicker but more expensive.

PayPal adds 9% to the total amount sent to us (this includes currency exchange and internal fee's). www.paypal.com
Payoneer adds 5% to the total amount sent to us (this includes currency exchange and internal fee's). www.payoneer.com

-----------------

For ordering, please reply to this email with your:
-Full Name
-Full Complete Address (including country/postal codes)
-A Mobile Phone Number (a courier requirement)
-Verified/Personal PayPal email address or Payoneer registered email to where our Invoice/Payment Request will be sent.

--------------

The parcel will be shipped by EMS express international service as it's the best solution for shipping from Russia. A tracking number will be provided. In most cases delivery takes 4-12 days after it leaves the factory. Delays could occur due to a few factors outside our control, therefore we can't influence or guarantee exact delivery times. Please check EMS terms and conditions for more information. SOMA labs includes insurance in the shipping price to protect you and us from the unexpected. As such you are protected 100% for either a full refund or a new product.

If you have a specific request pertaining to customs declaration, an invoice or other documents, please let us know.
SOMA Laboratory is not responsible for import duties incurred upon shipping to foreign territories.
Please check with your local Customs office for import duty rates.

Please check out our brand-new and cool selection of SOMA T-shirts!

Free shipping with your order. https://somasynths.com/t-shirts

Best Regards,
Max
SOMA LABS
www.somasynths.com

steviet
Common Wiggler

Post by steviet » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:19 am

Thanks for the tip!! I'm going to send an email over there now!!
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

jubey
1-Post Wiggler

Post by jubey » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:51 am

red-tin-dave wrote:
When did you place your order? I was placed on the waitig list about a month ago, so I'm curious how chances are to get mine soon... cant wait :)

Oh... and Hallo by the way!
I follow this thread for some time... Great input on that lovely project!

red-tin-dave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by red-tin-dave » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:17 am

jubey wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:51 am
red-tin-dave wrote:
When did you place your order? I was placed on the waitig list about a month ago, so I'm curious how chances are to get mine soon... cant wait :)

Oh... and Hallo by the way!
I follow this thread for some time... Great input on that lovely project!
I got one of the last batch - ordered on Feb 22nd, shipped on Feb 29th and then sat in the Parcel Force depot here in the UK for ages as they forgot to send me the bill for import duty/VAT! Finally arrived at the end of March - just in time to make a nice lockdown project!
And I'm glad you like the project - it's been great fun and I'm still adding some tweaks to the case.

red-tin-dave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by red-tin-dave » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:13 am

I've been buying presents for mine - some new LEDs. They're Apem Q6 series which need a 6mm hole so you have to do a bit of filing to fit them, and you can't use the nuts to hold them in place as they short out the LED solder pads.
They do look nice ...
IMG_20200626_100730.jpg
IMG_20200626_100648.jpg
IMG_20200626_100616.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rationale_music
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rationale_music » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:35 pm

Alright, finished up my Lyra 4's case with some tasteful walnut sides, which means that my kit is now finished!
20200627_171038.jpg
...or so I thought, because then I had an idea for another potential mod. Has anyone thought of adding some kind of Gate-Out modification to their kit?

deformative
Learning to Wiggle

Post by deformative » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:20 pm

rationale_music wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:35 pm
Alright, finished up my Lyra 4's case with some tasteful walnut sides, which means that my kit is now finished!

20200627_171038.jpg

...or so I thought, because then I had an idea for another potential mod. Has anyone thought of adding some kind of Gate-Out modification to their kit?
What'd you do for your case?

I wanted to go a more professional looking route for my Lyra 8 case, anodized or powder coated bent metal. I looked at the U-Box style enclosures from FPE and got to $240 before even importing the holes/engraving/graphics... so that's probably going to be a dead end. Local makerspaces are closed so I'm stuck looking for a shop that'll make a one off design. It looks like there are plenty of nice pedal-sized boxes for cheap to use as a starting point, but nothing I can find at this size.

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:30 pm

I have front panels in the works. Delivery is severely impacted right now...I've been waiting weeks, but I'm hopeful they will show up soon.

You will have to figure out an I/O panel, as I have not done a design for that, but the panels for the front are 266 x 266 mm.
Here's a render of what I've made.
lyra standard black.jpg
I have a limited number of these coming. Because of the increase in shipping costs, I'm going to have to ask $60 for them. If enough people are interested, I could cook up an I/O panel for the back to match. In the next day or two I'll start a separate thread for people that want them, so we don't clog this one.

For those of you waiting for news on the expansion wings, there was a brutal mistake on one side, and I'm waiting on replacements. Unfortunately the mistake rendered the panels unusable, but the good news is that it wasn't a mistake on the gerber, so they were remade for no additional cost...other than shipping.

I'm going to stick to $20 for the expansion PCBs, $80 for the expanded front panel, and $25 for the I/O. I was going to include shipping, but recent changes in USPS and UPS policy (can no longer send rigid packages as media mail, thanks to the metal panel photo biz) make that impossible.

I'm doing my best to document the build for the expansion, and I was careful to put a lot of info on the ss layer, but the expansions are going to require a bit of creative work on the part of anyone who gives it a go. The values for caps and pots that I chose were somewhat arbitrary, though I was careful to honor a lot of the original architecture of the Lyra. And before you ask, yes -- all the original values and settings are preserved, either by a marked position on a rotary switch, or a toggle.

I designed the expansion to fit my setup, and it's meant to fit in a 19" rack, with the I/O board above or below. The I/O has switches that short the pads on the Lyra, as leaving pennies on the pads won't work in a rack.

I've also breadboarded a gate input, but until I get the updated expansion built, I can't test it with the Lyra. However, it will also be a 19" 1U panel, and I'll probably integrate it with the I/O. Might not happen until after summer is over, though.

I'll start a thread about the panels in a few days...I need time to freshen up the BOM, first.
----------------------

Flounderguts

Stoneyards
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Stoneyards » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:21 am

Flounderguts. Thanks for the update. I’m looking forward to the expanded panel!

rationale_music
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rationale_music » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:48 pm

deformative wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:20 pm
rationale_music wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:35 pm

20200627_171038.jpg

What'd you do for your case?

I wanted to go a more professional looking route for my Lyra 8 case, anodized or powder coated bent metal. I looked at the U-Box style enclosures from FPE and got to $240 before even importing the holes/engraving/graphics... so that's probably going to be a dead end. Local makerspaces are closed so I'm stuck looking for a shop that'll make a one off design. It looks like there are plenty of nice pedal-sized boxes for cheap to use as a starting point, but nothing I can find at this size.
I used this enclosure by Hammond: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ha ... vXRw%3D%3D

Then I printed out the front panel design I wanted on 60# paper, laminated it, and glued it to the enclosure. Not the most professional method but I have access to printing materials and a large format laminator where I work.

wtk
Common Wiggler

Post by wtk » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:40 am

i plan to expand my lyra and could manage cheaper raw or powdercoated lasercut steel enclosure from a guy who made me this one. need just to find some time to prepare the design (too busy lately), then i could get some price estimate.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”