Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Flounderguts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Flounderguts » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:44 pm

Speaking of flundrton, I've had lots of inquiries about standard Lyra-8 DIY panels.

I ordered some in November, and they have been stuck in port in California since the 26th of Nov. That is my fault for trying to save money by shipping freight instead of just using DHL! I honestly have no idea when they will arrive, so I have decided to order another batch with normal shipping.

I do this as a hobby, and as I have now splashed out enough cash on these panels to buy a brand new Lyra, I hope y'all will help me to get rid of these!
There will be two panels arriving. One is a new panel that will fit the Hammond 12123 enclosure. I have wooden cheeks in the works, too. The other is the same panel that I was offering before, made to be the same size as a factory Lyra.

The Hammond is ok, but it's a pretty basic box. I have been working on a full Lyra-8 enclosure that would incorporate the gate circuit, as well as a few minor tweaks from the big expanded project.

I'm currently on a wee trip to Canada for a family matter, so it will be a few weeks until I can get back to work on any of this stuff. If you made a flundrton.com order recently, they all got shipped before I left for Canada. I should be back by the 20th. After the 4th, my wife can ship orders, if the panels stuck in port suddenly arrive!
----------------------

Flounderguts

mutronic
Common Wiggler

Post by mutronic » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:17 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:44 pm
Speaking of flundrton, I've had lots of inquiries about standard Lyra-8 DIY panels.

I ordered some in November, and they have been stuck in port in California since the 26th of Nov. That is my fault for trying to save money by shipping freight instead of just using DHL! I honestly have no idea when they will arrive, so I have decided to order another batch with normal shipping.

I do this as a hobby, and as I have now splashed out enough cash on these panels to buy a brand new Lyra, I hope y'all will help me to get rid of these!
There will be two panels arriving. One is a new panel that will fit the Hammond 12123 enclosure. I have wooden cheeks in the works, too. The other is the same panel that I was offering before, made to be the same size as a factory Lyra.

The Hammond is ok, but it's a pretty basic box. I have been working on a full Lyra-8 enclosure that would incorporate the gate circuit, as well as a few minor tweaks from the big expanded project.

I'm currently on a wee trip to Canada for a family matter, so it will be a few weeks until I can get back to work on any of this stuff. If you made a flundrton.com order recently, they all got shipped before I left for Canada. I should be back by the 20th. After the 4th, my wife can ship orders, if the panels stuck in port suddenly arrive!
Sounds good. My PCBs are still in Russian customs, so I doubt they'll be in America anytime soon, all things considered. I'm gonna look more into the expansion pcbs before I place an order.

Flounderguts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:19 pm

Look through the expansion build guide. And bear in mind it's more of an "organized kludge" than a typical build. It allows for a lot of experimentation, but at the cost of clarity and/or sanity!
----------------------

Flounderguts

D.Tilbury
Common Wiggler

Post by D.Tilbury » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:09 pm

:75: :ponytail: :75:
LFO BLEEDERS!
GATHER-ROUND GRAN'PAPPY TILBURY'S CAMPFIRE FOR A TALE FROM THE CLUTTERED BENCH!

If you still have LFO bleed problems, check out below for a potential fix....it worked for me so far as I can tell......
if you are building your unit and have NO LFO snappy bleed-through, do us bleeders a favor and take a picture of the chips (4093's) in your board and post them up.
I just re-ordered my 4093's from Mouser and replaced them. The bleed through disappeared.
I compared the chips. There seems to be a manufacture code difference that was obvious at first. I have not checked the TI site for the explanation to the codes yet. For a buck fifty attempt plus shipping, its worth a shot to try and clear it up.
In the attached images:
Left side "JK" with underscored "E4" was on each of the 4093's from mouser I used in the build....these are causing my issues.
Right side "LM" with underscored "G4" works to eliminate my lfo bleed through.
Both chips are TI.
I changed to a clear blue led with a 300 ohm on the lfo circuit as well.
Might change that to a highr value bc it is a f*cking laser of an led. Don't look at that mf straight on. Dayuuuum cuzzz.

The last pic is just the three bad ic's.
Left bad right good
Left bad right good
All three of my replaced chips.
All three of my replaced chips.
Here's something else I noticed....
I have an odd 120hz noisy hum everytime you hit a "key" and it gets louder when you turn the mix up on the delay part....and you can really hear it when the drive is up all the way. I thought this might be a power supply thing so i put it on a hum eliminator (isolation xfmr deal for audio crap "HUM-X") and its still there. Maybe its a shitty power supply (radioshack variable power supply wall wart with the tip cut off...yikes). I need to take it around to different outlets and see if the sound chnages.

I hope this helps someone on here with these issues.
-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

Flounderguts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:19 pm

AAAnd just to confirm, I have the bleed problem, and my 4093's are identical to the E4 marked ones, right down to the silightly different logo. Mine are from Tayda.

Also to confirm, eliminating the LED from the LFO circuit makes no difference. I even tried replacing it with a really cool little 3mm incandescent lamp.

I'm currently in Canada dealing with a wee family matter, so I cannot swap some other 4093's in to confirm blippen's amazing discovery (you're the man, man!), but I will do so as soon as I get back home.

Anyone WITHOUT bleed able to confirm 4093 type?

See? 2021 is *already* better!
----------------------

Flounderguts

Flounderguts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:24 pm

Some more info:

G4 and E4 are both valid codes on a Texas Instruments CD4093. G4 is the code for green (no lead, no tin, no bromine) and E4 is no lead. Both are RoHS compatible. Technically, they should be the same circuit, and as those codes are being phased out, you may get either one when you buy from Mouser or Digikey.

Here's a pic of the "bad" 4093 in my build. This is a zoomed in pic from the build doc pictures I took when I was assembling it, so the quality might be a bit shoddy.
cd4093 bu.jpg
----------------------

Flounderguts

D.Tilbury
Common Wiggler

Post by D.Tilbury » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:39 am

Dude, I hope that we can get more of the bleed through issues solved with this. Thanks for the info, btw. And no, YOU DA MAN, MAN!
-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

D.Tilbury
Common Wiggler

Post by D.Tilbury » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:40 am

EVERUBODY DANCE!
-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

mutronic
Common Wiggler

Post by mutronic » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:02 am

:banana: :nana: :bananaguitar: :bacon: :cat: :domodance:

grm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by grm » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:30 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:24 pm
Some more info:

G4 and E4 are both valid codes on a Texas Instruments CD4093. G4 is the code for green (no lead, no tin, no bromine) and E4 is no lead. Both are RoHS compatible. Technically, they should be the same circuit, and as those codes are being phased out, you may get either one when you buy from Mouser or Digikey.

Here's a pic of the "bad" 4093 in my build. This is a zoomed in pic from the build doc pictures I took when I was assembling it, so the quality might be a bit shoddy.

cd4093 bu.jpg
well, i have exactly the same 'E4' ICs and also a bleeding issue. i guess it is a gamble in many places which CD4093 one gets. i got mine from tayda, there at least the info on what version they send or have is not so clear in the details, if i have understood that correctly.

D.Tilbury
Common Wiggler

Post by D.Tilbury » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:40 pm

Okay so, I want to add some crap to the pile.
I replaced the blue led and low value resistor with the original green and higher value resistor.
No clicks.
I turned the volume down and the click can be heard...barely.
Its there tho. So I guess Grandpappy Tilbury didn't do much to help the cause.

:bang:

It does go away when its "dimed" out....i.e. volume turned all the way up.

Sorry for false hope.
-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

D.Tilbury
Common Wiggler

Post by D.Tilbury » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:51 pm

Heres some more weird shit.
I specifically remember having the volume down with no evident click once I replaced these chips.
Just went back to the blue led.....its now super evident when the volume us down.
More of this:
:bang:
-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

rationale_music
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rationale_music » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:02 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
I have been working on a full Lyra-8 enclosure that would incorporate the gate circuit, as well as a few minor tweaks from the big expanded project.
What gate circuit is this? I must have missed it earlier in the thread. I've been trying to wrap my head around a gate-out/individual voice gate-in mod for months (when I'm not being distracted by about a hundred other projects).

Flounderguts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:29 pm

rationale_music wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:02 pm
Flounderguts wrote:
I have been working on a full Lyra-8 enclosure that would incorporate the gate circuit, as well as a few minor tweaks from the big expanded project.
What gate circuit is this? I must have missed it earlier in the thread. I've been trying to wrap my head around a gate-out/individual voice gate-in mod for months (when I'm not being distracted by about a hundred other projects).
I'm working on a gate-in mod to operate the Lyra voices. The Ornament from Soma has a gate section, but it's meant to sort of clip on to the pads. I'm sorting out an add-on board (for us DIYers, but conceivably it could be added to a factory Lyra) that will have a gate-in-per-voice, with an indicator for each showing when the gates are on (and the indicator is the tough bit to implement!)

Part of what is holding me back from completing the gate add on is that I'm still troubleshooting my own Lyra build...like many, I have some weirdnesses in the Hyper LFO section, as well as a bit of an issue with dodgy gain overall. I'm also stuck in a place *away* from my Lyra for a few more days...maybe weeks.

I think we all want some remote Lyra management, so this is top of my priority list.
----------------------

Flounderguts

ordaleem
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ordaleem » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:46 am

Holy crap, I just read this entire thread. Thank you all so much.

I'm on the waitlist and I'd love to incorporate some mods. Has anyone tried the mods from rationale_music over on page 24? Clock and LFO outs? It's straight out from the circuit--I imagine it would be good practice to buffer those first?

And do tell about gate ins!

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:01 am

I started building mine, already soldered some passives, but I am getting mad sourcing all potentiometers. (Someon uses the ones with solder lugs, someone with "circles" terminals)

Does anyone have a good source link (mouser or whatever) for the correct pots? Thanks

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:53 pm

I got the majority of my pots from Tayda. The DIY hardware board is finicky to solder, but it allows for any combination of potentiometer footprints. Doesn't matter if you have some lugs and some circle terminals, you'll end up using component leads to solder them down to the pads anyways.

But I feel your pain! I had a hell of a time finding knobs for all my mismatched pots. Some were knurled, some were round, others were d-shaft. But I finally got it all knobbed up! Just gotta find a case for the lil sucker now. Best of luck on your build autodafe!! :sb:
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:51 pm

thanks,
i found most of them on Mouser, I am only missing the C100K single and stereo, no sign of them on Mouser...
I bought the "Knurles shaft" version with solder with circle terminals...

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:56 pm

I used these ones if it helps at all!

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/100k-o ... meter.html

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/100k-o ... meter.html

They are also the knurlie shaft.
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

wrentema
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wrentema » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:29 pm

autodafe wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:51 pm
thanks,
i found most of them on Mouser, I am only missing the C100K single and stereo, no sign of them on Mouser...
I bought the "Knurles shaft" version with solder with circle terminals...
Musikding.de also has quite some pots.. Germany based so maye faster than Tayda. But why do you need a stereo pot?

rationale_music
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rationale_music » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:46 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:29 pm
rationale_music wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:02 pm
Flounderguts wrote:
I'm working on a gate-in mod to operate the Lyra voices. The Ornament from Soma has a gate section, but it's meant to sort of clip on to the pads. I'm sorting out an add-on board (for us DIYers, but conceivably it could be added to a factory Lyra) that will have a gate-in-per-voice, with an indicator for each showing when the gates are on (and the indicator is the tough bit to implement!)
Interesting! That sounds very similar to what I was working on before I had to shelve the project to work on some music commissions. I wouldn't think that an indicator for the gate would add a lot of complexity but I was trying to implement the idea with either optocouplers or buffers to keep the signals separate.

Flounderguts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:33 pm

rationale_music wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:46 pm
Interesting! That sounds very similar to what I was working on before I had to shelve the project to work on some music commissions. I wouldn't think that an indicator for the gate would add a lot of complexity but I was trying to implement the idea with either optocouplers or buffers to keep the signals separate.
Yes, I'm currently using optocouplers (or optoisolators as I call them).

The issue is that the additional current to drive gate indicators has to come from a source other than the Lyra itself...when you starve the Lyra of power, it starts to get unpleasant to use. Which means that a gate circuit with indicators will probably require people to upgrade their power supply. Then power for the optoisolators and indicators is easy.

But I'm good at getting ambitious, and I'm trying to solve several issues with one device...and power is one of them.

There were several other options for buffering the gate...schmitt trigger, inverting amp, transistor, and several analog switch ic's that can handle high voltages. I went with the opto because the solution requires fewer voltages, or fewer parts, or smaller footprints, or (slightly) less money than the other solutions. I want to provide at least 5V to the gate indicators, so that people can use whatever size or color of indicator that they want. By solving that, it means that people who want to make the Lyra do advanced blinkenlight can use the same circuit (via a kludge area) to make other indicators around the instrument.

I like the low-epilepsy zone provided by the Lyra, but I know that others love rainbow party machines.

It's such a wild machine that can be pushed in so many ways. I really feel like it's an ideal base for DIY creativity. It's been a year since I even discovered the Lyra could be a DIY beastie, and I feel like the thread and this Lyra community has really come a long way!
----------------------

Flounderguts

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:45 am

wrentema wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:29 pm

Musikding.de also has quite some pots.. Germany based so maye faster than Tayda. But why do you need a stereo pot?
thanks, I bought them on Musikding.
BOM has some stereo pots. 4x C100K and 4x A100K

wrentema
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wrentema » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:52 pm

autodafe wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:45 am
wrentema wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:29 pm

thanks, I bought them on Musikding.
BOM has some stereo pots. 4x C100K and 4x A100K

Ooh yeah you're right!

Something else.. Did you find those DIN653 M3 somewhere? I'm also Europe based (berlin). Seems quite expensive everywhere..

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:38 am

wrentema wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:52 pm
Did you find those DIN653 M3 somewhere? I'm also Europe based (berlin). Seems quite expensive everywhere..
yes, on Aliexpress (not really Europe, actually :hihi: )

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32975169127.html

They are listed as DIN653, just make sure you get the right ones M3 x 12 mm

Return to “Music Tech DIY”