Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

gnsk
Common Wiggler

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by gnsk » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:05 am

i used DIN653 from aliexpress, and bought again expensive ones from accu.
difference is,

accu ones;
head dia D=12.35mm
head length K=2.5-2.25mm

ali ones;
D=11.7-11mm
k=4.1mm

so, ali one is smaller and thick. Thick is not so issue, but smaller touch area was some uneasy to me.

Muthut
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Muthut » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:35 am

Hey there !

Are there any fellow builders from germany that may care about sharing their cart or place where they sourced their components ?
Especially for stuff like the touch-plates.
And if not, international ones are also great !

It would be of tremendous help !

Have a great one !

kitzmann
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kitzmann » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:53 pm

I'm on the waiting for the PCBs so I'm starting to source the parts. Where do you get the pressure pads?

Flounderguts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:32 pm

CONTACT pads. Any bare metal will work...even a bolt!

The DIN 653 screws are getting scarce. Try computer mod shops, as they often stock thumbscrews in M3.

I have some standard panels on the way that eliminate the DIN screws in favor of gold circuit touchpads.
----------------------

Flounderguts

fizzkakz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fizzkakz » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:57 pm

Hey collective, first time poster, long time lurker. Firstly thank you for all the incredible insight and learnings in this thread. You've given me a heap of direction on how to get started on this project.

Excuse the question if it's dumb, I'm still a bit of a DIY novice. What is the rationale for using cannibalised component legs to connect pots to the pads on the control board over say, some insulated hookup wire? I thought have thought something insulated would reduce the likelihood of creating a short and would probably be less fiddley?

Flounderguts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:20 pm

fizzkakz wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:57 pm
Hey collective, first time poster, long time lurker. Firstly thank you for all the incredible insight and learnings in this thread. You've given me a heap of direction on how to get started on this project.

Excuse the question if it's dumb, I'm still a bit of a DIY novice. What is the rationale for using cannibalised component legs to connect pots to the pads on the control board over say, some insulated hookup wire? I thought have thought something insulated would reduce the likelihood of creating a short and would probably be less fiddley?
Welcome! Great thread to have your first post in...hopefully you will keep posting, now that the gate is open :goo:

In the case of the Lyra, the original build from the factory is built in this way. Actually, bits of component legs weren't used, but bare conductor wire was. That is also what I used for my build, as I keep that stuff around. Most people do not, so the discarded clips from builds of yore is a good source of bare metal wire.
The issue with using insulated wire is twofold...first of all, that's a lot of wire stripping! Second, most of the DIY builders aren't exactly professional soldering technicians, and it's easy to get too much heat into a short bit of wire like that...the insulation will melt off and make an ugly mess! Conversely, when using bare hookup wire, the solder wets up the leg really nicely, and makes a great connection.

I didn't say anything about the pic posted a few days ago, but I think that soldering all the leads on the pots first is way too much extra work. I suggest mounting the pots through the control PCB to the panel, and getting it all lined up first. Then solder the "legs" to the pads vertically. It's really easy if you use a pair of hemostats to hold the wire in place, so that you can use both hands to blob a nice teardrop of solder on there. Then it is really no big deal to clip the lead a bit long, and do the rest. They are quite strong, so you can take your time bending and soldering the other bits to the switches and pots nicely.

When I first started soldering the components to the wings of the expanded Lyra, I was bending a little "L" into the bottom of the leg, ostensibly to get a better mechanical join...these were actually WORSE than just standing the wire on the pad.

As for shorts, things are pretty spaced out in the Lyra. You would have to work to build in a short. Or fill the enclosure up with metal filings.

But build it how you like it! That's the whole point of DIY

:guinness:
----------------------

Flounderguts

fizzkakz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fizzkakz » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:43 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:20 pm

Welcome! Great thread to have your first post in...hopefully you will keep posting, now that the gate is open :goo:

In the case of the Lyra, the original build from the factory is built in this way. Actually, bits of component legs weren't used, but bare conductor wire was. That is also what I used for my build, as I keep that stuff around. Most people do not, so the discarded clips from builds of yore is a good source of bare metal wire.
The issue with using insulated wire is twofold...first of all, that's a lot of wire stripping! Second, most of the DIY builders aren't exactly professional soldering technicians, and it's easy to get too much heat into a short bit of wire like that...the insulation will melt off and make an ugly mess! Conversely, when using bare hookup wire, the solder wets up the leg really nicely, and makes a great connection.

I didn't say anything about the pic posted a few days ago, but I think that soldering all the leads on the pots first is way too much extra work. I suggest mounting the pots through the control PCB to the panel, and getting it all lined up first. Then solder the "legs" to the pads vertically. It's really easy if you use a pair of hemostats to hold the wire in place, so that you can use both hands to blob a nice teardrop of solder on there. Then it is really no big deal to clip the lead a bit long, and do the rest. They are quite strong, so you can take your time bending and soldering the other bits to the switches and pots nicely.

When I first started soldering the components to the wings of the expanded Lyra, I was bending a little "L" into the bottom of the leg, ostensibly to get a better mechanical join...these were actually WORSE than just standing the wire on the pad.

As for shorts, things are pretty spaced out in the Lyra. You would have to work to build in a short. Or fill the enclosure up with metal filings.

But build it how you like it! That's the whole point of DIY

:guinness:

Thanks for such a detailed response! Great insight.

wrentema
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wrentema » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:08 am

Muthut wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:35 am
Hey there !

Are there any fellow builders from germany that may care about sharing their cart or place where they sourced their components ?
Especially for stuff like the touch-plates.
And if not, international ones are also great !

It would be of tremendous help !

Have a great one !
Hey I ordered to touch plates here (havent arrived yet but more people here ordered them here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32975169127.html Way way cheaper than ordering them in Germany..

I'm Berlin based. I ordered whatever I could from Mouser (super fast delivery, no import costs etc)
Other shops I used are
musikding.de (pots and PT2399) They're slow though...
reichelt for TDA2822
polin electronic for switches. I bought the exact same as the BOM. But I'm sure you can order the same switches (from different brand from mouser too..)

I havent tried Tayda. They seem to have good prices. But I think delivery could take a while and maybe additional custom costs..

I'm almost done with my build. I made an excel with the exact parts I used. I can share it in a few days when I'm done.

Cheers

Return to “Music Tech DIY”