Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

dirkwiggler
Common Wiggler

Post by dirkwiggler » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:19 am

LYRA 8 pcb panel for anyone that needs one, just add mounting holes in required location using Eagle...

https://github.com/oscillosaurus/LYRA-8-PANEL

glissgliss
Learning to Wiggle

Post by glissgliss » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:02 pm

Hi Lyra Builders – I've been trying to dig into the tweaks document, specifically to change the range of the voices. It looks pretty straight-forward on the image as far as which caps to change, but my board is V2.6. Looks like a few modifications were made and I'm punching just outside of my knowledge base here! Specifically, it looks like the capacitors in charge of the voice range were changed to a combination of electrolytic and film instead of whatever they were on V2.2 in the diagram. They also have different values than on the V2.2.

So, my questions (thanks in advance!):
I was hoping to install a rotary switch with different valued caps to change the voice range – do I have to stick with whatever type each voice has been changed to or is it possible to make all these caps a consistent kind?
If I do have to stick with these types, is the range of the film caps the same as the originals, just divided by 10? (In other words, I can make the ranges on these ones go from 0.005m to 1m instead of 0.05m to 10m?)
Annnnd what type of capacitors were these before the version I have? Can I just change 'em back?

Inspiring builds everyone, thanks for sharing!

shiftr
Common Wiggler

Post by shiftr » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:40 am

I've been wanting to limit the range of the of the oscillators to be able to tune them a bit more precise.
Looking at the thing it seems there are simple 4093 oscillators at the base of the circuit.
I think changing the C100K pots with C50K pots will probably halve the range.
Is there anybody that can confirm my idea?

lisa-frank-overdrive
1-Post Wiggler

Post by lisa-frank-overdrive » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:04 pm

Has anyone here completed the Lyra-4 DIY build and if so could they tell me what part this is? (I have a v2.2 pcb and the BOM is for v2.0).

https://postimg.cc/4mrS4n7R

shiftr
Common Wiggler

Post by shiftr » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:25 am

I've changed all the pitch pots from 100k to 50k and I find the lyra-8 a lot more musical and playable like this. It limits the range in the sub sonic terrain of the oscillators but there is still an extreme wide range possible. Especially together with the group pitch pot.
shiftr wrote:I've been wanting to limit the range of the of the oscillators to be able to tune them a bit more precise.
Looking at the thing it seems there are simple 4093 oscillators at the base of the circuit.
I think changing the C100K pots with C50K pots will probably halve the range.
Is there anybody that can confirm my idea?

zorius
Learning to Wiggle

Lyra (4 or 8, does not matter) PCB reverse-engineering

Post by zorius » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:47 am

Do someone have good quality close-up photos of the PCBs, especially the sides, which does not have image of them in the assembly instructions? That pictures are very informative, just the other track layers' routing would be necessary.
I'm thinking about this, but no, I won't pay 100+ dollars for the PCBs

Starspawn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Starspawn » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:57 am

And thats why we cant have nice things.

zorius
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zorius » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:40 am

I mean, just for myself.
Of course I don't want to mass produce it :tu:
I'm just learning PCB draw, and I start with this, recreating other layouts.

aabbcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aabbcc » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:50 pm

zorius wrote:I mean, just for myself.
Of course I don't want to mass produce it :tu:
I'm just learning PCB draw, and I start with this, recreating other layouts.
Maybe reproduce something that is out of production instead?

zorius
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zorius » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:21 pm

Maybe reproduce something that is out of production instead?
Yeah, You are right.
So the Lyra is out of production AFAIK, only a few kits have left. I will wait until those will be out of stock too.

I see what You mean, and I agree with that. It's not fair to the company.
I made for example a dreadbox Hades DIY on stripboard myself, which was sold last year. Because I was not brave enough that time to buy it, and after a year of practice and study, I made it (I never held a solder iron in my hands, nor know anything about electronics).

Thanks for sharing your opinion :tu:

philguzzo
Learning to Wiggle

I give up!

Post by philguzzo » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:16 am

I’ve rebuilt my Lyra 8 3 times. I still am having the same problems. Left 4 contacts don’t sound (which is weird because the first time I tried it they did work but then I dove in to fix the delay and then they’ve never worked since) and the delay is distorted and pretty much doesn’t work or is intermittent. I managed to get the overdrive working which didn’t at first so there’s a win I suppose. I really don’t know what else to do other than rage quit. The only things I didn’t replace were all the resistors I’m not sure if I have the wherewithal to do that. Broken trace maybe? I did drop the board. I don’t know if the synth diy world is my bag man! Plus every time I look at the board I find a cap backwards. Dang who built this thing? Oh right. Anyone want this thing to try an resurrect it. I’ll just give it to you. Seriously if you pay shipping I’ll pack the whole thing up and ship it out to you.ImageImage

4floorsofwhores
Common Wiggler

Re: I give up!

Post by 4floorsofwhores » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:39 am

philguzzo wrote:I’ve rebuilt my Lyra 8 3 times. I still am having the same problems. Left 4 contacts don’t sound (which is weird because the first time I tried it they did work but then I dove in to fix the delay and then they’ve never worked since) and the delay is distorted and pretty much doesn’t work or is intermittent. I managed to get the overdrive working which didn’t at first so there’s a win I suppose. I really don’t know what else to do other than rage quit. The only things I didn’t replace were all the resistors I’m not sure if I have the wherewithal to do that. Broken trace maybe? I did drop the board. I don’t know if the synth diy world is my bag man! Plus every time I look at the board I find a cap backwards. Dang who built this thing? Oh right. Anyone want this thing to try an resurrect it. I’ll just give it to you. Seriously if you pay shipping I’ll pack the whole thing up and ship it out to you.ImageImage
Let someone else take a look at it for you, a fresh pair of eyes might see something obvious. Giving it away would be crazy.
Careful now

Virusinstaller
Common Wiggler

Build complete

Post by Virusinstaller » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:06 am

So after a year of having a DIY kit I have finally completed my build & I love this synth. It's amazing and so unlike anything else I have played before which is great. Got some amazing sweet spots that you can just listen to for hours. So much fun.

Bjarne
Common Wiggler

Re: Build complete

Post by Bjarne » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:39 am

Great looking build!

I’ve sourced components but never started the build since I haven’t figured out how to do/chose panel and case. Out of curiosity - what did you do?

Cheers
B
Virusinstaller wrote:So after a year of having a DIY kit I have finally completed my build & I love this synth. It's amazing and so unlike anything else I have played before which is great. Got some amazing sweet spots that you can just listen to for hours. So much fun.

seal_cobblr
Learning to Wiggle

Post by seal_cobblr » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:15 pm

As several others who've posted in this thread before, I'm not getting the right voltages at the test points.

Without the control board connected and all IC's removed I get the following readings:

From the 2.45V points I'm getting 0 V
From the 5.6V points I'm getting a voltage dropping from about 1 V towards 0 V
From the 6V point I'm getting 1.3 V

I've gone over all the resistors and capacitors, and they are all the right values and oriented properly.

Can anybody who experienced the same, or anyone who might know the issue, give me a suggestion on how to proceed?

seal_cobblr
Learning to Wiggle

Post by seal_cobblr » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:03 pm

With the IC's in I'm getting:

the right voltage at the 2.45 point
almost 5.74 at the 5.87 point by the 'main' connector
6V at the 6c point, but only 1.5v at the two 5.87 in the area around the lfo part of the circuit....

Virusinstaller
Common Wiggler

Post by Virusinstaller » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:37 pm

Bjarne wrote:Great looking build!

I’ve sourced components but never started the build since I haven’t figured out how to do/chose panel and case. Out of curiosity - what did you do?

Cheers
B
Virusinstaller wrote:So after a year of having a DIY kit I have finally completed my build & I love this synth. It's amazing and so unlike anything else I have played before which is great. Got some amazing sweet spots that you can just listen to for hours. So much fun.

I used the Oscillosaurus panel. Link is in the thread or here.

The case is just stained plywood that I made myself.

Bjarne
Common Wiggler

Post by Bjarne » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:07 pm

Thanks for the tips!
Virusinstaller wrote: I used the Oscillosaurus panel. Link is in the thread or here.

The case is just stained plywood that I made myself.

Ceramic Pasty
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ceramic Pasty » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:13 am

Any word on the DIY PCBs dropping again? I emailed a while back and haven't heard anything.

tron23
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tron23 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:38 am

Ceramic Pasty wrote:Any word on the DIY PCBs dropping again? I emailed a while back and haven't heard anything.
+1 would love to know as well :guinness:

chopsuey5540
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chopsuey5540 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:40 am

Same here, not sure if it's going to happen in the end :ripbanana:

LektroiD
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LektroiD » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:21 pm

tron23 wrote:
Ceramic Pasty wrote:Any word on the DIY PCBs dropping again? I emailed a while back and haven't heard anything.
+2... I missed it the first time around, was really hoping for a second run of the Lyra 8

pickleinn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pickleinn » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:31 pm

LektroiD wrote:
tron23 wrote:
+2... I missed it the first time around, was really hoping for a second run of the Lyra 8
Same, would love to build one

Ceramic Pasty
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ceramic Pasty » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:08 pm

pickleinn wrote:
LektroiD wrote:
tron23 wrote:
Same, would love to build one
I enquired (a second time) early August and got added to the wait list. They said anywhere from 2-5 months.
Registered interest in the pulsar at the same time :sb: .

shiftr
Common Wiggler

Post by shiftr » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:20 am

My Diy Lyra-8 seems to pick up a lot of noise from the power supply. Like some High frequency noises. Does anybody else have this too?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”