Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

woodster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by woodster » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:50 am

Spent some hours populating the main voice board V2.6
There are 2 Cap values missing from the BOM, 1x 2.2mF Cap 2x 4.7mF Cap's, are they really uF or nF ?

chopsuey5540
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by chopsuey5540 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:53 am

Just heard from them and they said they will start shipping some more DIY kits "a few weeks into the new year" :party: :party:

operator808
Common Wiggler

Post by operator808 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:06 am

In Thailand at the moment so have quick access to Tayda. Does anyone by chance have a full project cart BOM for Tayda?

Thanks in advance :)

woodster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by woodster » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:45 am

Tayda doesn't really have the function for sharing projects like Mouser, plus a large number of components are not currently available via Tayda.
It's certainly a build that will require multiple orders from multiple vendors, you couldn't get everything from Mouser I don't think.

sollichklang
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sollichklang » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:23 am

Well, Im finally coming close to completion with my lyra 8 now that i am mounting it in a metal case I got from Mouser. Only thing is I think I chose the wrong size pots for some of the board because they have trouble sticking out through the case faceplate. Anyway can anyone tell me what they used? 16mm shaft pots or larger ? Also did you use spacers on the touchpads between the case and the pcb? Anyone?

woodster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by woodster » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:48 am

Which case did you get from Mouser ?

For pots, I used std Alpha 17mm from Tayda.

sollichklang
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sollichklang » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:51 pm

woodster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by woodster » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:19 am

:tu:

chopsuey5540
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chopsuey5540 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:45 pm

woodster wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:48 am
Which case did you get from Mouser ?

For pots, I used std Alpha 17mm from Tayda.
I'm about to get started on my build, would you have a link for those pots? Also it seems there's a little metal tab that sticks out on the side, do you need to remove it for the pot to sit tight against the pcb?

benjoy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by benjoy » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:37 am

Hey all

Just received my PCBs!

Going to use the csv that I saw posted to grab the components.

I don't suppose anyone has seen anyone in this thread selling panels?

Thanks,

B

:75:

sollichklang
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sollichklang » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:59 am

Well I found my problem with the case was cos I left all the washers and nuts on the pots ahaha. It's looking better now.
Anyone about to build this, i have a bunch of components leftover because quite a few of them I had to order a larger quantity of from ebay. I also have a bunch of switches which you'll need. If you're in the uk/eu then i can send em for free if you pay me the postage.

Brawny
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Brawny » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:27 am

Hello all,

Heard a lot about this site and after listening and reading up a fair bit about this most interesting synth, I took the plunge and bought the PCBs which finally arrived yesterday. I'm assuming the voice board should be 2.6, and the control board is ok, although marked up as 2.4.
I'm handy with a soldering iron and have a pretty good background in PCB assembly, although that was more along the lines of working with a fully provided kit.
So, I've spent a bit of time working on an order against the provided BOM, but am wondering where the best places to order in the UK are? I see that Mouser probably has the most basic components covered, but I don't want to cut corners. I see mention of high grade audio caps, pots from a few places, and some mentions of errors in the BOM too.

If any of you UK folk would be so kind as to summarise where I should go for which parts (I'm going to build the case myself), that would be really helpful.

Really hope I can get this done in a couple of weeks as I'm really eager to get this beast of a thing going!

Thanks all. :sb:

p.s. I saw philguzzo's useful looking mouser cart, but later reading suggested his build wasn't successful, so ordering with that didn't fill me with confidence! If others have has successful builds using that list, though, I may well save myself some time and go with that.

sollichklang
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sollichklang » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:32 pm

Brawny wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:27 am

If any of you UK folk would be so kind as to summarise where I should go for which parts (I'm going to build the case myself), that would be really helpful.
Hey , I built mine with most of it ordered from a mouser cart i found on here. However it is well worth combing through the bom carefully and double-checking it against the mouser cart as well as the pcb (good tedious fun) I ended up getting the pots and switches off ebay as well as these bits: 27kohm resistor, rectifier diodes. Also had to get a bunch of stuff from tayda and digikey like the PT2399 IC's. check out octopart.com, v. helpful.
good luck! let us know how it goes

sollichklang
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sollichklang » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:34 pm

Also from memory the actual bom from soma had a few mistakes in like wrong quantities, maybe they have been corrected now but it just emphasises the value of comparing the pcb to the bom first

B0bcat
Wiggling with Experience

Re:

Post by B0bcat » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:18 pm

VCOscillator wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:08 pm
I just finished my build in the last few days, I made small PCBs to install all of the suggested mods in the 'tweaks' file.
I built my LYRA into a 6u rack mountable enclosure and wanted to use symbols rather than text to keep with the spirit of improvisation and built it as a large aluminium PCB with black solder mask, white silkscreen and gold ENIG for the details. The panel symbols were inspired by Mungo & Make Noise panels to fit with my system which is mostly black and gold and the 6u left enough space to install:

24 pots controlling envelope Attack, Release (Fast) & Release (Slow)
Slide switches for Distortion LPF, Delay LPF
8 x slide switches to select frequency range per voice
8 x potentiometers controlling vibrato frequency per voice

Everything went smoothly and all mods are functioning correctly :bananaguitar:

I made an instagram page with some pics: Link

I will upload some videos of the mods in the next week or so when I get some time but this has been a highly enjoyable project!

Getting more info on these mods / extra PCBs would be fantastic
FS:
WMD/SSF Blender ($80), AMSynths AM8109 ($170), Yamaha SPX-90 ($150), all prices shipped from and to US

WTB:
Malekko/Wiard Oscillator (Gargoyles),
Sputnik Dual Oscillator,
Plan B / SubCon Model 15 VCO, Plan B Model 12 VCF,
Macro Machines Storage Strip,
Intellijel FlipFlop,
Bastl SoftPop

Brawny
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Brawny » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:41 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have pretty much sorted the mouser cart now, and like you said, I had to go through everything very carefully - check the board and the BOM (and even some of the photos of the build).
I've sorted everything apart from the fixings, pots, switches, and the PT2399's and TDA2822 (these were only available in SO-8). Also ordered some DIP sockets for them all which I hope will lower the risk of damage during the build.
I'm pretty certain I've got everything right. Picked lower tolerances and higher reliability for most of the parts where able, and am pretty much at the point where I'm about to take the plunge. New soldering station arrived today so I'm feeling much better prepared.
This is quite a step up from past projects, but I'm confident! Now, I could start on these 2 little SMDs..

As for those tweaks, is it likely that these are the ones that are already pointed out on the PCB tweaks diagram you can get from Vladimir?

I see the 8x attack, fast & slow release would account for the 24 knobs on the left, and the ones on the right would cover vibrato, and switchable voice ranges. * edit - d'oh, I see VOSCillator already pointed this out, obviously!

That build is truly a thing of beauty, though.

chopsuey5540
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chopsuey5540 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:42 am

I'm having trouble finding that 0.1uF 160V CCCP cap, but on the BOM it says anything > 25V should be fine so I was wondering if something like this would be enough?

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/0-1uf- ... citor.html

These look tiny and on all the pics I saw that cap looks rather large which makes me doubt those tayda ones will do the trick :hmm:

Brawny
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Brawny » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:37 am

I'm not too sure to be honest, the space on the board would indicate a a larger one would be needed. I went with this which seemed bulky enough as a decent alternative.
https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/75-MKP1839410163

I'm sure it's more than will ever be needed, but I wanted to be safe. I'm rather certain the 'cccp' reference is basically 'Russian' too. I was looking for a cccp 'type' of cap for a while!

woodster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by woodster » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:03 am

I used one of these, as it was recommended -
https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/ ... cycode=GBP

I've not finished my build yet though.

chopsuey5540
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chopsuey5540 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:04 pm

Thanks guys will grab both and flip a coin :confused:

Brawny
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Brawny » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:56 pm

Just a tip (although I'm probably preaching to the converted). For the SMD chips - use 0.5mm diameter solder (or less). Makes it so much easier - then and do a continuity test from each leg to a point further along the track (I found 2 legs weren't quite 100% with this).

Now I think that's the riskiest part done with :party:

Good luck!

Tnunnery
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by Tnunnery » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:09 am

Branko wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:20 am
Branko wrote: Now I gotta figure out a case to go along with the panel. Should have updates this coming week.

Hey!

I can get a panel made for you. Do you have any preference as far as color?

Shoot me a PM.
Hey Branko, are you still available to make panels? Those are sharp!

TVN

Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wavy Davy » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:25 am

I am placing an order for the kit with PC board.
And looking forward to building my very own LYRA-8.

I plan on installing a few mods, I have seen here in the forum.
Mainly the ones for changing the sensitivity of the frequency controls with a switch.
And maybe a few output jacks in the back, for the oscillator audio outputs.

Being an electronics tech, with good soldering skills, and lots of experience,
I expect that the hardest part will be, ordering the components and waiting for them to arrive :hyper:

My thanks to all the people in this forum, who posted helpful observations and advice :tu:
Looking forward, to keeping you all informed of my progress, and seeing yours
:mygod:

Tnunnery
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tnunnery » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:39 pm

Hi. My PCBs on the way and most of the parts are on hand! Is there any advantage (actual or theoretical) for using those paper and oil capacitors for the .1uF “Cccp” caps listed in the BOM?

Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wavy Davy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:38 pm

My kit is on it's way, and I just placed an order for most of the parts.
Decided to use my 3D printer to make custom knobs.
Will use Photoshop, with my large format printer to make custom graphics for a front panel.
Then I can glue the print to front panel, drill holes, and finish with a few coats of clear, urethane.

I have woodworking tools in the garage, so probably going to make my own enclosure.
I have lots of recycled wood, I can use, from yard signs, including some aluminum ones.
Or I might go with some hardwood from local hardware store.
I have an airbrush, I can use for custom paint job, if I decide not to go with natural wood + stain.

Also considering one of these for this, or other DIY synth projects...

Table Top Easel

French Style Wooden Art Easel Stand

Lots of options to make it uniquely my own :hyper:

Best of luck with your LYRA-8 build :guinness:

Return to “Music Tech DIY”