Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
search64
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:48 pm

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by search64 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:19 pm

Is there a front panel and case available for this?

User avatar
digix
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:07 am
Location: Australia

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by digix » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:27 am

For the panel (assuming there's not anyone producing and selling ready to go) how do I go about using a service like FrontPanelExpress with the files provided by SOMA? Their software won't natively read the DXF or CDR files and I don't want to fark it up - especially the hole alignment. Does anyone have a completed FrontPanelExpress design file (or some other validated design file) I can use?

Cheers

User avatar
woodster
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:36 am
Location: UK

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by woodster » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:13 am

There are two or three front panel designs contained within this thread. I've got one on order from Schaeffer (Front Panel Express)

User avatar
mattip
Common Wiggler
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:23 pm

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by mattip » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:42 am

I don't really understand the output level in the manual. "2 v 0-to-peak." Does that mean 4V peak to peak? Also, it is a balanced TRS. I don't know, but I am thinking about adding another output jack socket for Eurorack levels. Did anyone do this? Is it even needed?

User avatar
Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:56 pm
Location: SLC

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Flounderguts » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:34 pm

I really like the aluminum pcb panel solution.

Could the thumbscrews be replaced by ENIG pads on a PCB? I can't see a reason why not...
----------------------

Flounderguts

D.Tilbury
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:47 pm
Location: Milky Wae

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by D.Tilbury » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:44 pm

mattip wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:42 am
I don't really understand the output level in the manual. "2 v 0-to-peak." Does that mean 4V peak to peak? Also, it is a balanced TRS. I don't know, but I am thinking about adding another output jack socket for Eurorack levels. Did anyone do this? Is it even needed?
That sounds like "line level" voltage maximum.
Eurorack plays at maximums of about 10v p-p, if I'm not mistaken.....that probably goes for CV as well as audio. See if someone else chimes in here to correct me and educate us. Thats why people say that their eurorack is "hot" coming out of their system....the signal has much more energy than say a pedal board's signals....or the input required for recording into your sound card...interface thingy.
-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

User avatar
woodster
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:36 am
Location: UK

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by woodster » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:32 am

Woo Hoo. Panel has landed. :cloud:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

musicorchard
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:42 pm

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by musicorchard » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:41 am

I love that minimalist design of your panel! Definitely gives me a good idea of what I'll be looking to design.

Tnunnery
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:07 pm

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Tnunnery » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:59 pm

I just finished my Lyra 8 build and it was probably one f the most enjoyable projects I have done in a long time. Everything went together perfectly and I’m considering building a second one. The synth sounds incredible and the range of sounds is pretty incredible. Below are some pics of the build and the final synth.
E93C2659-EA23-4013-AE89-A4EEC740CADE.jpeg
5A920550-0153-46F1-972D-C3F7DDA383D0.jpeg
F4CD3BB3-F8E9-491F-8B5A-3D89A80916ED.jpeg
DE53963B-7AA3-4BD7-8BD9-DE7DF223D496.jpeg
319F97CD-B001-419E-B020-D4B60CD70836.jpeg
7B8BFD8B-D770-46B7-B842-E49D04E3A26B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tnunnery
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:07 pm

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Tnunnery » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:42 pm

Some build notes:

1. Kapton tape (as suggested in this thread) worked perfectly. Thanks!
2. The controls board from SOMA had a small ding on one edge which managed to break a trace. I bridged it successfully. You can see it on the top edge of the fourth pic above.
3. I used these thumbscrews: https://www.accu.co.uk/en/knurled-thumb ... T-M3-12-A1. 10mm would have also worked.
4. I used these shoulder washers: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/534-3054. I thought the others mentioned earlier in the thread were too short.
5. I used these for the .1uF “CCCP” caps: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/598-104MPW160K. I asked if there was any benefit to using the oil and paper caps here but was told by SOMA that there was no advantage (except for aesthetics).
6. I used these bi-polar caps: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/667-ECE-A1VN100U
7. Panel printing through FPE was painless. I wish I had added an indicator line for the position of the tuning knobs. As it is, I just line up zero at the “T” in “Tune.”
8. Side panels are rosewood that I had left over from my modular case build. The 12x12x3 Hammond case worked well: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ha ... I9N%2Fo%3D
9. The most cumbersome part was the drilling of the holes on the rear panel, probably because I need a new wobble-free drill press. I used a SPST toggle for power and this power supply: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/552-PPL18U-120. The second most cumbersome part was wiring the headphone jack so that the signal comes out L and R. I’m not sure why this wasn’t obvious to me but trial and error saved the day.
10. I used Kingbright WP7083-TG22 and TG87 leds. They have a slightly flatter top which I really like.

I hope these notes help someone!

TVN

Watson1983
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:07 am

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Watson1983 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:56 pm

Tnunnery wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:42 pm
Some build notes:

1. Kapton tape (as suggested in this thread) worked perfectly. Thanks!
2. The controls board from SOMA had a small ding on one edge which managed to break a trace. I bridged it successfully. You can see it on the top edge of the fourth pic above.
3. I used these thumbscrews: https://www.accu.co.uk/en/knurled-thumb ... T-M3-12-A1. 10mm would have also worked.
4. I used these shoulder washers: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/534-3054. I thought the others mentioned earlier in the thread were too short.
5. I used these for the .1uF “CCCP” caps: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/598-104MPW160K. I asked if there was any benefit to using the oil and paper caps here but was told by SOMA that there was no advantage (except for aesthetics).
6. I used these bi-polar caps: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/667-ECE-A1VN100U
7. Panel printing through FPE was painless. I wish I had added an indicator line for the position of the tuning knobs. As it is, I just line up zero at the “T” in “Tune.”
8. Side panels are rosewood that I had left over from my modular case build. The 12x12x3 Hammond case worked well: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ha ... I9N%2Fo%3D
9. The most cumbersome part was the drilling of the holes on the rear panel, probably because I need a new wobble-free drill press. I used a SPST toggle for power and this power supply: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/552-PPL18U-120. The second most cumbersome part was wiring the headphone jack so that the signal comes out L and R. I’m not sure why this wasn’t obvious to me but trial and error saved the day.
10. I used Kingbright WP7083-TG22 and TG87 leds. They have a slightly flatter top which I really like.

I hope these notes help someone!

TVN

Congratulations and thank you!!
It is such a pretty device.

By the way, the pin header you used, were standard angled male pin headers, like these ones?
[url] https://www.taydaelectronics.com/40-pin ... eader.html [URL]

And which jumper wires lenght, 20 or 30cm?

Tnunnery
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:07 pm

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Tnunnery » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:10 am

Watson1983 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:56 pm
Congratulations and thank you!!
It is such a pretty device.

By the way, the pin header you used, were standard angled male pin headers, like these ones?
[url] https://www.taydaelectronics.com/40-pin ... eader.html [URL]

And which jumper wires lenght, 20 or 30cm?
Thanks! It really turned out better than I expected.

Yes, Those are the 90-degree headers I used from Tayda. I got the pots and a couple of ICs and IC sockets from there too. I have straight male headers on the component board and 90 male on the control board. I’m not sure why, but I wish I had straight female headers on the control board so that I could use Male-Female jumper wire instead of Female-Female. I guess the MF is a little easier to find and it may be have been a little lower profile. I used 10cm jumper wires everywhere except for the two connections to the I/O board where I used 20mm. I used 30mm standoffs between the boards.

TVN

User avatar
Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:56 pm
Location: SLC

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Flounderguts » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:50 am

Here is my Tayda order...no headers or switches, as I already had those.

Total was about U$62 including DHL shipping.

5.1 OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor A-2320 10
100 OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2245 20
300 OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2766 20
1K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2200 10
1.8K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2340 10
2.4K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2606 10
3K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2349 10
3.3K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2607 10
4.3K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2627 10
5.1K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2188 10
12K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2327 10
13K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2205 10
15K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2182 10
24K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2771 10
27K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2772 10
30K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2608 10
33K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2290 10
36K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2773 10
39K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2313 20
43K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2774 10
47K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2279 10
51K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2775 10
56K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2191 10
68K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2334 10
75K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2629 10
82K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2338 10
91K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2776 10
100K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2248 10
120K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2209 10
200K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2630 20
330K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2330 10
750K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2633 20
910K OHM 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor Royal OHM Top Quality A-2781 20
3M Ohm 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor A-2787 10
1000uF 16V 105C Radial Electrolytic Capacitor 10x17mm A-4523 1
470uF 16V 105C JRB Radial Electrolytic Capacitor 8x12mm A-1079 2
100uF 25V 105C Radial Electrolytic Capacitor 6x11mm A-4541 15
47uF 25V 105C Alum Electrolytic Capacitor 5x11mm PANASONIC A-4144 30
10uF 25V 105C Radial Electrolytic Capacitor 5x11mm A-4534 10
4.7uF 35V 105C Radial Electrolytic Capacitor 5x11mm A-4504 5
2.2uF 50V 105C Radial Electrolytic Capacitor 5x11mm A-4532 10
2.2uF 50V Multilayer Monolithic Ceramic Capacitor X7R A-3318 1
0.047uF 50V Multilayer Monolithic Ceramic Capacitor A-1475 4
0.1uF 50V Multilayer Monolithic Ceramic Capacitor A-214 20
0.01uF 50V Multilayer Monolithic Ceramic Capacitor A-1366 1
100pF 50V Multilayer Monolithic Ceramic Capacitor A-1359 4
1.2nF 0.0012uF 100V 5% Polyester Film Box Type Capacitor A-418 1
0.47uF 470nF 100V 5% Polyester Film Box Type Capacitor A-3984 2
220nF 0.22uF 100V 5% Polyester Film Box Type Capacitor A-565 2
0.1uF 63V 10% Polyester Film Box Type Capacitor WIMA MKS2 A-936 4
10uF 50V 85C Non-polarized Bipolar Electrolytic Capacitor 8x12mm A-4216 10
FR207 Fast Recovery Rectifier Diode 1000V 2A DO-15 A-3296 1
1N4148 Switching Signal Diode A-1571 3
L78L05ACZ L78L05 78L05 +5 VOLTS 100mA Voltage Regulator IC A-176 2
BC557 Transistor PNP 45V 0.1A TO-92 BC557B-KEC/P A-1334 10
BC547 Transistor NPN 45V 0.1A A-137 10
CD4093 4093 IC CMOS NAND SCHMITT TRIGGER A-554 3
PT2399 2399 Echo Audio Processor Guitar IC A-043 2
TL074 Quad Operational Amplifier J-FET PDIP-14 TL074CN A-1138 3
TDA2822 TDA2822L Audio Amplifier IC A-1002 1
1uF 50V 105C Radial Electrolytic Capacitor 5x11mm A-4505 2
4.7uF 50V Multilayer Monolithic Ceramic Capacitor Y5V A-3320 2
100K OHM C100K 100KC Anti-Log Dual Taper Potentiometer A-2938 4
100K OHM C100K 100KC Anti-Log Taper Potentiometer A-1952 10
50K OHM Linear Taper Potentiometer A-1931 5
50K OHM Logarithmic Taper Potentiometer A-1907 5
100K OHM Logarithmic Dual Taper Potentiometer A-1920 4
100K OHM Logarithmic Taper Potentiometer A-1908 3
Aluminum Knob 24mm A-1146 8
KN1360 ABS Fluted Black Knob 16x12mm A-2835 12
KN1611 ABS Black Knob 17x15mm A-2821 12

There are some components that I had to get from Mouser, and they are being added to another order to save on shipping. Total from Mouser is about $16

667-EEU-HD1E222 Panasonic Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Radial Leaded 2,200uF 25volts 12.5x20 LS 5mm 1 $1.82
647-UVP1E100MDD Nichicon Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Radial Leaded 25volts 10uF 5x11 20% 2LS 10 $1.93
581-SR211C122KARTR1 AVX Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors MLCC - Leaded 100V 1200pF 10% X7R 1 $0.27
80-C052C511G2G5TA KEMET Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors MLCC - Leaded 200volts 510pF 2% C0G 1 $4.40
78-BZX55C10 Vishay Zener Diodes 10 Volt 0.5W 5% 20 $3.36
595-CD4016BE TI Analog Switch ICs Quad 1 $0.49
568-NYS216 REAN Phone Connectors 1/4" STEREO SWITCHED 5 $3.85

I found the din thumbscrews locally for about $0.35 each. I will be CNC engraving a panel for this, after I figure out the tweaks and the BOM on that.

Anyone want to collab on PCBs for tweaks?
----------------------

Flounderguts

Watson1983
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:07 am

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Watson1983 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:51 pm

Couldn't thank you enough!!

I would be interested in the panel if you decide to do a run!

User avatar
Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:56 pm
Location: SLC

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Flounderguts » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:12 pm

Hey, just a heads up for you diy Lyra peeps.

PayPal wouldn't let me make a transaction to Soma Labs. I set up a Payoneer account, and I'm waiting on Max to send a new invoice.

I spoke to PayPal, and they were accusatory...apparently synth PCBs are now equivalent to fentanyl and nuclear material.

Actually, that might be true.
----------------------

Flounderguts

User avatar
mattip
Common Wiggler
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:23 pm

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by mattip » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:46 am

PayPal fine for me just some week ago.

User avatar
Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:56 pm
Location: SLC

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Flounderguts » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:00 am

Mine is a business account. Apparently it is a known issue.... :cry:
----------------------

Flounderguts

User avatar
eno
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:34 am

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by eno » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:35 pm

Watson1983 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:15 am
By the way,they are shipping kits right now (for those who didn´t know) :hyper:
Yes! I got my shipping notification from SOMA a few days ago.

User avatar
eno
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:34 am

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by eno » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:37 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:12 pm
PayPal wouldn't let me make a transaction to Soma Labs. I set up a Payoneer account, and I'm waiting on Max to send a new invoice.

I spoke to PayPal, and they were accusatory...apparently synth PCBs are now equivalent to fentanyl and nuclear material.
Thats weird - my PayPal transaction went through about a week ago without any problem.

User avatar
gluepet
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:55 pm
Location: St Pete

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by gluepet » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:51 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:12 pm
PayPal wouldn't let me make a transaction to Soma Labs.
I ran into this issue as well - as a workaround, PayPal will let you purchase as guest with a credit card.

User avatar
Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:56 pm
Location: SLC

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Flounderguts » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:10 pm

I posted this earlier, but it disappeared

I'm just about to start designing expansion PCBs for my build. I looked at the Tweaks section, and I roughed out some values for components. I'm planning to use 1p8t switches (rotary or slide) for the capacitave changes, so I number them either 0 to 7 for positions, or 1-8 for the voices.

Delay
Original value: 1800 pF
Suggested Range: 0-5600 pF
0 0 pF
1 800 pF
2 1600 pF
3 1800 pF
4 2400 pF
5 3200 pF
6 4000 pF
7 5600 pF

Vibrato
Original values: 1 56k
2 51k
3 47k
4 43k
5 39k
6 36k
7 33k
8 30k

Suggested Range: 2k-72k

B50k pot plus 1 31k
2 26k
3 22k
4 18k
5 14k
6 11k
7 8k
8 5k

Distortion

Original Value: 510 pF
Suggested Range: 0-10000 pF

0 0
1 150 pF
2 250 pF
3 510 pF
4 1000 pF
5 2500 pF
6 5000 pF
7 10000 pF

Attack
Original Value: 330k
Suggested Range: 300k to 1M

270k resistor + B750k potentiometer

Release
Original Value: 3M
Suggested Range: 1M to Infinite

1M resistor + B5M potentiometer

Voice
Original Value: 2.2 uF 4.7 uF 10 uF
Suggested Range: 0.05 uF to 10 uF

0 0.05 uF
1 0.1 uF
2 1.1 uF
3 2.2 uF
4 3.3 uF
5 4.7 uF
6 6.8 uF
7 10 uF



Any thoughts?
----------------------

Flounderguts

Watson1983
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:07 am

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Watson1983 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:36 am

Tnunnery wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:59 pm
I just finished my Lyra 8 build and it was probably one f the most enjoyable projects I have done in a long time. Everything went together perfectly and I’m considering building a second one. The synth sounds incredible and the range of sounds is pretty incredible. Below are some pics of the build and the final synth.

E93C2659-EA23-4013-AE89-A4EEC740CADE.jpeg5A920550-0153-46F1-972D-C3F7DDA383D0.jpegF4CD3BB3-F8E9-491F-8B5A-3D89A80916ED.jpegDE53963B-7AA3-4BD7-8BD9-DE7DF223D496.jpeg319F97CD-B001-419E-B020-D4B60CD70836.jpeg7B8BFD8B-D770-46B7-B842-E49D04E3A26B.jpeg
Hi,returning back with your build...Didn´t you fix the pcb to the front panel with screws? Do you find it secure enough fixing it with just the pots and switches?

Tnunnery
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:07 pm

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Tnunnery » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:34 pm

Watson1983 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:36 am
Tnunnery wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:59 pm
I just finished my Lyra 8 build and it was probably one f the most enjoyable projects I have done in a long time. Everything went together perfectly and I’m considering building a second one. The synth sounds incredible and the range of sounds is pretty incredible. Below are some pics of the build and the final synth.

E93C2659-EA23-4013-AE89-A4EEC740CADE.jpeg5A920550-0153-46F1-972D-C3F7DDA383D0.jpegF4CD3BB3-F8E9-491F-8B5A-3D89A80916ED.jpegDE53963B-7AA3-4BD7-8BD9-DE7DF223D496.jpeg319F97CD-B001-419E-B020-D4B60CD70836.jpeg7B8BFD8B-D770-46B7-B842-E49D04E3A26B.jpeg
Hi,returning back with your build...Didn´t you fix the pcb to the front panel with screws? Do you find it secure enough fixing it with just the pots and switches?
Hi. The fpd file I used had threaded studs mounted to the underside of the panel. This made mounting to the 30mm standoffs a breeze. I think I used the Oscillosaurus file here: https://github.com/oscillosaurus/LYRA-8-PANEL.
A56D4812-065A-41CE-8AF5-F7E04A7B374E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

D.Tilbury
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:47 pm
Location: Milky Wae

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by D.Tilbury » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:02 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:10 pm
I posted this earlier, but it disappeared

I'm just about to start designing expansion PCBs for my build. I looked at the Tweaks section, and I roughed out some values for components. I'm planning to use 1p8t switches (rotary or slide) for the capacitave changes, so I number them either 0 to 7 for positions, or 1-8 for the voices.

Delay
Original value: 1800 pF
Suggested Range: 0-5600 pF
0 0 pF
1 800 pF
2 1600 pF
3 1800 pF
4 2400 pF
5 3200 pF
6 4000 pF
7 5600 pF

Vibrato
Original values: 1 56k
2 51k
3 47k
4 43k
5 39k
6 36k
7 33k
8 30k

Suggested Range: 2k-72k

B50k pot plus 1 31k
2 26k
3 22k
4 18k
5 14k
6 11k
7 8k
8 5k

Distortion

Original Value: 510 pF
Suggested Range: 0-10000 pF

0 0
1 150 pF
2 250 pF
3 510 pF
4 1000 pF
5 2500 pF
6 5000 pF
7 10000 pF

Attack
Original Value: 330k
Suggested Range: 300k to 1M

270k resistor + B750k potentiometer

Release
Original Value: 3M
Suggested Range: 1M to Infinite

1M resistor + B5M potentiometer

Voice
Original Value: 2.2 uF 4.7 uF 10 uF
Suggested Range: 0.05 uF to 10 uF

0 0.05 uF
1 0.1 uF
2 1.1 uF
3 2.2 uF
4 3.3 uF
5 4.7 uF
6 6.8 uF
7 10 uF



Any thoughts?
I would be interested in a colab.
I am a ways behind you tho...my boards just shipped and I am trying to determine my panel layout now. What are you using to layout your pcb? Its been several years since I've done board layout work and i dont have access to the software I used to use. I think i used EAGLE, Altium (wow thats expensive), and something called multisim/ultiboard.
What are your plans for the board? Sizing, enclosure, etc...?
I would really like to use ribbon cables and shrouded terminal idc style connections so they stay put and look clean connecting from board to board. You have 7 sets of mods there. I would need to look at the board and layout of the main unit to see how they would connect. How do we incorporate this into the circuit?....bypass each of these from the board to the "mod" board then from there route through trace to the 1p8t which interfaces the values you have here?

-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"
-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

Watson1983
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:07 am

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Watson1983 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:49 am

Pcbs arrived today!! :sb:

Just one week to Spain, but... 37 euros in custom taxes.
Everything arrived well, but they could\should improve the package a little, specially bearing in mind that it is a 100 euro pcb.

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”