Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Flounderguts » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:55 pm

D.Tilbury wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:02 pm
I would be interested in a colab.
I am a ways behind you tho...my boards just shipped and I am trying to determine my panel layout now. What are you using to layout your pcb? Its been several years since I've done board layout work and i dont have access to the software I used to use. I think i used EAGLE, Altium (wow thats expensive), and something called multisim/ultiboard.
What are your plans for the board? Sizing, enclosure, etc...?
I would really like to use ribbon cables and shrouded terminal idc style connections so they stay put and look clean connecting from board to board. You have 7 sets of mods there. I would need to look at the board and layout of the main unit to see how they would connect. How do we incorporate this into the circuit?....bypass each of these from the board to the "mod" board then from there route through trace to the 1p8t which interfaces the values you have here?
My boards just shipped as well. My Tayda order arrived just 3 days after ordering it :sb:

You can look at the board layout in the infopack from Soma Labs. The "tweaks" section is pretty clear.

I'm planning to put my Lyra-8 in a rack, so I'm aiming for a 19" panel. VCOscillator's build was similar, and I've been wondering whether to put the tweaks on each side, as he did, or perhaps in a row below, or on one side. I priced out panels done in Aluminum pcb with ENIG, and 5 panels came to almost $400... :moneyburn:

My plan was to replace each component on the Lyra board with a pluggable header, and then route them to a ribbon connector on the expansion board (s). I was also debating doing this in SMD to save space...the question is whether or not to mount the expansion PCBs the same way as the original Lyra, or make them small expansions with wires to panel-mounted pots and switches, which would allow some different form factors for folks. But panel mount switches are a bit pricier and harder to find than pcb, although slider switches with long sliders are waaay hard to find...panel with short might be easier.

If this is something that a few people want to do, I can get really good prices on bigger quantities through my work...as long as we settle on a switch. Rotary are far more expensive, but drilling holes in panels is way easier than slots. And that's where a remote-mounted breakout board makes sense, as people can choose to use rotary or slider as they prefer. I'm also considering thumbwheel switches, if I can find ones I like.

For board design, I'm happy with eagle or fusion or kicad, but I was actually going to use EasyEDA...easy to collab on that, too. I have a pretty good relationship with JLCPCB, as they make boards and do pick and place for my employer. If we do SMT, we can get a quote on having the resistors and caps placed by them. The last time I did this on a 15 board run, the bare boards (200mm x 110 mm) were $6.80 each, and with the components placed (60 pcs) they came to $11.78 each. I still had to do the headers, ICs, and switches myself, but placing 900 bits of birdseed would have been less fun!

Any comment on the values I chose? I'm not all that familiar with how they will actually sound...hopefully VCOscillator will chime in here, if he has time to take away from Flux!
----------------------

Flounderguts

D.Tilbury
Learning to Wiggle

Post by D.Tilbury » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:07 am

VCOcillatirs build looked super clean.

Ok. I thought you were mid build for some reason. I agree with you about the slots. The only way to do that would be for a panel fab group to punch the slots or mill them and i dont have anyone that can do it. Slider switches would be boss but If you want to go with the rotaries and pots, I'm with you.

As for the birdseed.....hahhahahahha.....been there and done that with a pick and place. Hhahahhaha.....I vote for the smd cost through your folks.

If we are the only two getting it going, I can split the cost with you whatever it comes out to be....but, I bet there will be at least one or two people interested in this. So, making it to where you can put the build together in something remotely enclosed or paneled may be the best choice. Just a thought on getting the panels or enclosures together: ethernet cables.....rj-45 heavy duty connectors may be an option.

As for this:
the question is whether or not to mount the expansion PCBs the same way as the original Lyra, or make them small expansions with wires to panel-mounted pots and switches, which would allow some different form factors for folks....

I vote for that just so more options can be had.

The big question is the parts that are super hard to find.

Have you checked jameco for anything interesting?
How about that Ukrainian or Russian TDH or hTD or something.
Its a three letter company. They have a buncha stuff. Let me try to find the name of the company.
-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

D.Tilbury
Learning to Wiggle

Post by D.Tilbury » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:08 am

I do not have a comment on the values. Unless the sound responds or the unit responds exponentially....or just non-linearly, those values should be good. Even if it does reapond non-linealry, there should be some sweetspots to find.
-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

D.Tilbury
Learning to Wiggle

Post by D.Tilbury » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:45 pm

-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:07 pm

Parts sourcing is my jam. I'm on it.

I'm working on a project that lets me put a rotary broach on a hand drill. I'm hoping to make a broach that cuts an indexed slot with a hand drill. That's why I was going toward slide switches, but they use the same number of pads as rotary, so it won't affect the pcb.
----------------------

Flounderguts

D.Tilbury
Learning to Wiggle

Post by D.Tilbury » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:20 am

The broach cut, "square" cut, with a hand drill? Hoe lee smokes. I need to see this. Thats killer. I would be terrified I would botch the job like I do when I get one of those "dremmel confidence boosts" and then I end up wallering out a small hole to a blob looking mess. I seriously have done that multiole times....its loke I forget that I tell myself not to do that again.....9 months to a year will lapse and i lose the ability to remind myself until I'm mid hole....thats when the confidence comes into play....."yeah man...I've got this....." followed by multiole f words and "ah...thats not too bad."
-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

Poldenstein
Wiggling with Experience

Re:

Post by Poldenstein » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:43 am

shiftr wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:25 am
I've changed all the pitch pots from 100k to 50k and I find the lyra-8 a lot more musical and playable like this. It limits the range in the sub sonic terrain of the oscillators but there is still an extreme wide range possible. Especially together with the group pitch pot.
shiftr wrote:I've been wanting to limit the range of the of the oscillators to be able to tune them a bit more precise.
Looking at the thing it seems there are simple 4093 oscillators at the base of the circuit.
I think changing the C100K pots with C50K pots will probably halve the range.
Is there anybody that can confirm my idea?
This made me think about a possible mod: instead than dealing with rotary switches and cap arrays could not we simply put a 100k resistor in parallel to the pot with a switch for each voice?

D.Tilbury
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Re:

Post by D.Tilbury » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:19 am

Poldenstein wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:43 am
shiftr wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:25 am
I've changed all the pitch pots from 100k to 50k and I find the lyra-8 a lot more musical and playable like this. It limits the range in the sub sonic terrain of the oscillators but there is still an extreme wide range possible. Especially together with the group pitch pot.
shiftr wrote:I've been wanting to limit the range of the of the oscillators to be able to tune them a bit more precise.
Looking at the thing it seems there are simple 4093 oscillators at the base of the circuit.
I think changing the C100K pots with C50K pots will probably halve the range.
Is there anybody that can confirm my idea?
This made me think about a possible mod: instead than dealing with rotary switches and cap arrays could not we simply put a 100k resistor in parallel to the pot with a switch for each voice?
Not sure if it would work that way. Would you be paralleling each voice circuit or are you choosing each one to mess with individually? Personally, i would want more things to wiggle but, if I understand your mod, it would make a compact version to mess with....like placing it on the original panel layout somewhere.

just for reference, the mods from the doc are:
GREEN
-attack time for each voic (300k-1mom)
RED
-fast release time (220k-750k)
BLUE
-slow release time (1mom-infinite)
MAGENTA
-voice range caps (0.05-10mf)
Smaller value gives higher voice range and increased fm capabilities
YELLOW
Vibrato freq (2k-72k)
NO COLOR
Delay mod cap (0-5600puff)

I found this 1 pole 8 throw rotary...sorta retro looking:

https://www.electronicsurplus.com/rcl01 ... DQQAvD_BwE

-2 legit to quit
-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

Watson1983
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Watson1983 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:38 am

Could anyone recommend an appropriate psu (EU) for the Lyra?

Thanks in advance

Poldenstein
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Re:

Post by Poldenstein » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:30 am

D.Tilbury wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:19 am

Not sure if it would work that way. Would you be paralleling each voice circuit or are you choosing each one to mess with individually? Personally, i would want more things to wiggle but, if I understand your mod, it would make a compact version to mess with....like placing it on the original panel layout somewhere.
To be fair, me too I am not sure if it would work.. almost no engineering skills, that's why I was asking
I was envisioning a switch for each voice, to select between "fine" and "coarse" tuning (that would be eight switches and eight 100k resistors or whatever value one would find more apt, or even another 100k pot!)

(Hi everybody, I am also about to start building a lyra-8! PCBs have landed, tayda order on its way, and I have a checked and tweaked cart ready to fire on mouser.
In order to cut casing cost, I was considering wooden painter toolboxes that someone earlier in the thread pointed out.. did anyone get along with it? My main concern would be panel thickness, seen the unconventional control pcb layout)

Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wavy Davy » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:24 pm

From the previous post...
"In order to cut casing cost, I was considering wooden painter toolboxes that someone earlier in the thread pointed out.. did anyone get along with it? My main concern would be panel thickness, seen the unconventional control pcb layout)"

I have not done the installation yet, but I measured a few of the painter toolboxes (French easel), and the wood panels are 2.5mm (1/8 inch) thick.
I tested with the pots I got from Mouser, that have 6mm high threads, and they go through the 1mm thick pcb, and have room for the 2.4mm thick nut and 0.4mm thick washer to fully thread onto the pot.
So unless the switches are shorter threads, should be ok.

My large french easel with legs, has 30mm of clearance behind the panel, so should fit the two PCBs with 25mm standoffs.
Only other considerations would be if you wanted to cover the back of your PCBs with a box, or some other protective cover, so contents of drawer don't get into it when transporting. I will probably use a thin sheet of plastic or plywood.

I also like the idea that there is extra room on the easel for mods, or other synth stuff, or even a built in amp with speakers mounted to the front panel.
Lots of possibilities for creative mods, and you can use a printed paper, transparency, hand paint, or wood burning for labeling the pots/switches.

One other consideration I have not looked into yet, is if the Lyra-8 would need any kind of shielding (metal, aluminum/copper foil) to block EMI from getting into/out of it.
Since all the wood eurorack enclosures I have seen, don't have any shielding, I don't expect that to be a problem.
If anyone els has built one in a non metallic box, please leave a post for us.

Just finished my Benjolin build (it's a gas to play with), and am now ready to get started on my LYRA-8 build :hyper:

Poldenstein
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Poldenstein » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:02 am

Thanks Wavy Davy

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:26 pm

I'm laying out the boards today.

Would you all like to see a shrouded header for board connections? Or perhaps Terminal connectors? I was thinking about four 2x8 connectors for the board-to-board part, and then terminal blocks for the pots. As they will be used as variable resistors, they each just need two connections (but I can put 3 if that makes it easier for peeps to understand)

The Capacitor board needs to be connected to the 10 1p8t switches, so that is 90 connections right there. Plus another 20 for the board-to-board.

Should I just put connector holes at 2.54 pitch, and people can choose what to stick in there? If so, all in a line, or in twin rows? Both will fit. I can just put a row of through-holes and pads next to them along one edge of the board...everything will be labeled...and then you can choose to put either tht or smd connectors on.

??
----------------------

Flounderguts

t3hh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by t3hh » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:06 am

Watson1983 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:38 am
Could anyone recommend an appropriate psu (EU) for the Lyra?
12V center positive 0,5A will do. Factory units are shipped with 12V 0,42A 5,5x2,1mm center positive switching PSU from Xppower
https://www.xppower.com/product/VER05-S ... 05US120-JA

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:13 am

I haven't received my boards, yet (on the water)

Can someone measure the faceplate pcb and tell me what the dimensions are?

Thx!
----------------------

Flounderguts

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:45 pm

Also, I have some extra CCCP 0.1 uF 160v tone capacitors...if anyone needs. Turns out I had them already :sb:
----------------------

Flounderguts

D.Tilbury
Learning to Wiggle

Post by D.Tilbury » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:39 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:26 pm
I'm laying out the boards today.

Would you all like to see a shrouded header for board connections? Or perhaps Terminal connectors? I was thinking about four 2x8 connectors for the board-to-board part, and then terminal blocks for the pots. As they will be used as variable resistors, they each just need two connections (but I can put 3 if that makes it easier for peeps to understand)

The Capacitor board needs to be connected to the 10 1p8t switches, so that is 90 connections right there. Plus another 20 for the board-to-board.

Should I just put connector holes at 2.54 pitch, and people can choose what to stick in there? If so, all in a line, or in twin rows? Both will fit. I can just put a row of through-holes and pads next to them along one edge of the board...everything will be labeled...and then you can choose to put either tht or smd connectors on.

??
I've been out of pocket for a while....been dealing with this hysteria over what reminds me of hurricane preparation.
I think you have a good plan with the shrouded connectors. That way, if i am thinking about this correctly, theres no way to mess up the board to boatd connections. I trust your skills in the layout.
I agree about the three connections for a clear understanding of the mounting. You do mean three points to mound the pots to?

Pretty excided about this.

If you put the 2.54 pitch connector holes, can't we use shrouded blocks or the male terminals? I dont have a preference on the double row or singles. Whatever looks clean and fits.
-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wavy Davy » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:57 am

Flounderguts wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:13 am
I haven't received my boards, yet (on the water)

Can someone measure the faceplate pcb and tell me what the dimensions are?

Thx!
The faceplate board, that the pots/switches mount on, is 10 inches by 10 inches.

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:57 pm

Thanks!

I got my panels today :sb:

I'm deep into this, now. The tweaks jpg is a pic of the older board. I noticed that voices 1-4 use electrolytic caps on the V2.6, but MLCC on the V2.3, which has the tweaks. The issue here is that the boards I've been making up use MLCC caps (I stole the pad design from Old Crow's CS80 filter board, where you can use a SMT or a 5 mm radial cap on the same pad set)

So the question is whether to go to electrolytic caps. In retrospect, the stock values printed on the board are all available with 5 mm lead spacing. I will simply put some extra silkscreen on the expansion boards that mark for the polarization of electrolytics, so the stock caps could be put on the expansion boards. It will be important to get your leads on correctly, because that will affect the polarized caps.

Because the expansion boards will require placement of more pots and switches, I've decided to lay them out using the same design as the SOMA pot panel. This way the procedure is the same for the entire thing, and there will be tons of space for stuff, especially if you want to tweak the values.

There was a pic of a 19" rack Lyra-8 from VCOscillator's build, and he put the pots on the left of the main board, and the switches on the right. I'm going to follow that a bit. The Lyra is pretty spacious in the layout, and I'm going to try to keep that aesthetic. I will keep all the switches (voice range, delay, distortion) on one 3.5" x 10" pcb, and the pots (attack, slow release, fast release, vibrato) on another, identically sized board.

That way, if you want to use these, you can put them both on one side, on each side, top and bottom, whatever you want. Or you can stack them below the main board, and break the connections out to your own panel. I decided to do it this way because mounting the pots and switches on the pcbs in the SOMA way, 110 individual wire connections are eliminated. Which leaves just 84 wired connections. I will break these out to labeled pads, using the same combination pads from the caps, so that you can use direct wires, 2.54 mm headers, or SMT headers.

Input? I should have stuff layed out and ready to order in the next day or two. I'll post renders when I have them...
----------------------

Flounderguts

woodster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by woodster » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:58 pm

Got a bit further down the road with the LYRA-8 today.
99% of PCB work is now done.
Haven't yet decided which knobs to use, I would like to use nice Davies or Rogans, but I think I'll keep hold of my left kidney just for now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by woodster on Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woodster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by woodster » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:09 pm

Now it's just a bit more enclosure drilling for the Audio, Power inlet and switch etc.
Will also have to thread/tap some holes to mount the panel to the Hammond Enclosure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wavy Davy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:48 pm

Starting a new synthesizer build.
This is the Lyra-8 from SOMA, a company located in Russia.
There is something exciting about ordering from a small company in a faraway place like Russia, and tracking the shipment as it travels half way around the world, to arrive at my doorstep 🌏>🌎-😃

For this build, I was able to purchase the printed circuit boards from SOMA, and the rest of the parts from Mouser, and Tayda.
I will be making my own chassis and front panel from scratch.

I’m also getting helpful build tips from the friendly DIY community, at the Lyra-8 synthesizer forum on Muffwiggler.
It’s amazing how the internet can bring all these elements together, onto my humble workbench, so I can build this groovy sound making gadget 🎶😄🎶
Last edited by Wavy Davy on Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wavy Davy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:58 pm

Completing different stages of my current Lyra-8 synthesizer project.
Here is the main board with all the resistors installed.
And the checklist I use, to keep track of my progress...

Each of the tiny resistors is a different value, as indicated by the bands of color on them.
Each one has it’s own special place on the printed circuit board, that I hunt down, and stick it in.
They come in a package stuck in tape.
I remove them, bend the legs on a Popsicle stick, and place them in the board, and solder them, one by one.

This is how synthesizers were made, before automated machines started doing it.
Keeping the tradition alive 😄👍
Last edited by Wavy Davy on Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wavy Davy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:42 pm

Finished installing the capacitors today.
There are two basic kind, polarized and non polarized.
The polarized ones look like little cans, and are called Electrolytics.
They have two legs, and must only be installed in one direction.
If installed backwards, they will explode like a firecracker, when power is applied to the board ⚡️💥🔥
After the wire legs of each part are pushed through the appropriate holes in the board,
they are spread apart to keep the part from falling out.
Then they are soldered in place, and the excess wire is trimmed off, with a pair of clippers...
Next I install the transistors. Getting closer and closer, to completion :yay:

Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wavy Davy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:56 pm

Today I started installing all the potentiometers and switches into the front panel, for my Lyra-8 synth.
There are a lot of them 🙂

Next I have to wire them to the printed circuit board.

Then I will create a box with faceplate to put it in, and labels for all the controls.

Also have plans to use my 3D printer, to create custom knobs for all the potentiometers.

Little by little, my FrankenSynth creation is coming together.
Soon I will zap it with electricity and bring it to life ⚡️⚡️😎⚡️⚡️🎶

Return to “Music Tech DIY”