Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
Addam
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 357
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:40 pm
Location: Hudson Valley

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Addam » Thu May 21, 2020 7:54 am

rationale_music wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:33 am
I should note that I have not yet installed the PCB shield as I still want access to the back of the board if needed.
I don't believe the shield is making any electrical connections so if you've installed the shield headers and you're going in you might as well just pop that sucker on temporary-style. Slightly bend one of the header pins or put some putty to hold it (or tape or whatever) - maybe worth a shot?

I'm also curious, are you getting noise of your headphone jack? on my lyra 4 diy I get noise out of the headphone jack no matter what grounding scheme I try. Regular output has no issues :hmm:

rationale_music
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu May 21, 2020 1:13 am

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by rationale_music » Fri May 22, 2020 12:28 am

gluepet wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:25 am
rationale_music wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:33 am
1. The LFO signal is bleeding into the audio path, creating this low but constant rhythmic popping sound whenever the synth is on.
I had a similar issue and the following was the recommended procedure from SOMA:
First remove the LED and see if noise is alleviated. If so, you can increase the value of current limiting resistor going from led to ground, start with double the value and work from there, you can find the balance between noise and led brightness experimentally, also throw a wire from that resistor's ground leg directly to the ground of the power supply jack.
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought to check the LED of all places. I was poking around the socketed 4093s and was hesitant to contact SOMA directly since (according to the build doc, at least) they don't give assistance on debugging. Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

rationale_music
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu May 21, 2020 1:13 am

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by rationale_music » Fri May 22, 2020 1:04 am

Addam wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:54 am
rationale_music wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:33 am
I should note that I have not yet installed the PCB shield as I still want access to the back of the board if needed.
I don't believe the shield is making any electrical connections so if you've installed the shield headers and you're going in you might as well just pop that sucker on temporary-style. Slightly bend one of the header pins or put some putty to hold it (or tape or whatever) - maybe worth a shot?

I'm also curious, are you getting noise of your headphone jack? on my lyra 4 diy I get noise out of the headphone jack no matter what grounding scheme I try. Regular output has no issues :hmm:
At least on my Lyra PCB the shield is grounded, just buzzed it out. The headphone output on mine is super noisy, but I never thought to check the main output (because I've only been testing this thing with headphones so far), and it turns out that not only is it a lot quieter, but the LFO noise completely gone! There must be an amplifier for it on the board picking up the LFO and amplifying it along with raising the noise floor. There's still a little bit of bleed between the voices, but that might be the result of some errant flux I need to clean.

User avatar
Addam
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 357
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:40 pm
Location: Hudson Valley

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Addam » Fri May 22, 2020 7:42 am

rationale_music wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:04 am

At least on my Lyra PCB the shield is grounded, just buzzed it out.
Ah, of course. Makes sense.
rationale_music wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:04 am
The headphone output on mine is super noisy, but I never thought to check the main output (because I've only been testing this thing with headphones so far), and it turns out that not only is it a lot quieter, but the LFO noise completely gone! There must be an amplifier for it on the board picking up the LFO and amplifying it along with raising the noise floor. There's still a little bit of bleed between the voices, but that might be the result of some errant flux I need to clean.
So.. it's working? Haha. The headphone noise is not a huge deal for me but a little frustrating. I'm not sure if I was getting the lfo signal, too, as I haven't monitored on headphones much.

User avatar
woodster
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1350
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:36 am
Location: UK

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by woodster » Fri May 22, 2020 8:14 pm

I was about to chime in regarding headphone noise, saying I'd not experienced any. However, a friend just did a socially distant recording session, and she had issues with her headphones, which were not apparent with any of mine. This leads me think it might be an impedance issue ?

User avatar
red-tin-dave
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:48 am
Location: Hebden Bridge. UK

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by red-tin-dave » Sat May 23, 2020 7:12 am

Well I've finished building mine and it seems to work OK apart from the Hold knobs not having any effect. Has anyone else experienced this, or have an idea where I should start looking to fix it?
I've buzzed out all the ribbon cable connectors and they are all ok, and the test voltage points are ok too.

User avatar
Addam
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 357
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:40 pm
Location: Hudson Valley

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Addam » Sat May 23, 2020 8:15 pm

woodster wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:14 pm
I was about to chime in regarding headphone noise, saying I'd not experienced any. However, a friend just did a socially distant recording session, and she had issues with her headphones, which were not apparent with any of mine. This leads me think it might be an impedance issue ?
A-ha! I think that might be it. I just tried with my ancient koss headphones and had to crank the volume up to get any noise, at which point I got some lfo artifacts bleeding into the delay circuit but this was at a level well beyond where I would listen and even then didn't get much of that typical noisy input, amplified noise floor type garbage.

User avatar
Flounderguts
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 832
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:56 pm
Location: SLC
Contact:

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Flounderguts » Sat May 23, 2020 11:30 pm

Sounds like that's it. Low impedance headphones require more current, and tend to be prone to noise artifacts with equipment like the Lyra. Your "ancient " Koss cans are probably up over 100 ohms.
I'm sure a hi/lo mod would be easy, with a 1 or 2 watt resistor on a switch, so that headphones geared toward mobie listening could play nicer with Lyra.
----------------------

Flounderguts

rationale_music
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu May 21, 2020 1:13 am

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by rationale_music » Sun May 24, 2020 2:01 am

red-tin-dave wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:12 am
Well I've finished building mine and it seems to work OK apart from the Hold knobs not having any effect. Has anyone else experienced this, or have an idea where I should start looking to fix it?
I've buzzed out all the ribbon cable connectors and they are all ok, and the test voltage points are ok too.
I had this issue with mine, and it turned out that when I had initially soldered the potentiometer I hadn't quite bridged the gap between the solder pad and the middle leg of the pot. I ended up going through both the control board and main board and re-flowing every solder joint and double-checking it.

rationale_music
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu May 21, 2020 1:13 am

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by rationale_music » Sun May 24, 2020 2:04 am

Flounderguts wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:30 pm
Sounds like that's it. Low impedance headphones require more current, and tend to be prone to noise artifacts with equipment like the Lyra. Your "ancient " Koss cans are probably up over 100 ohms.
I'm sure a hi/lo mod would be easy, with a 1 or 2 watt resistor on a switch, so that headphones geared toward mobie listening could play nicer with Lyra.
Looks like my cans are 32 ohms, so that could be the case. I might consider adding that to the mod list as I don't really have another pair of good quality headphones to use with mine, just a shitty pair of earbuds.

User avatar
red-tin-dave
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:48 am
Location: Hebden Bridge. UK

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by red-tin-dave » Sun May 24, 2020 3:52 am

rationale_music wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:01 am
red-tin-dave wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:12 am
Well I've finished building mine and it seems to work OK apart from the Hold knobs not having any effect. Has anyone else experienced this, or have an idea where I should start looking to fix it?
I've buzzed out all the ribbon cable connectors and they are all ok, and the test voltage points are ok too.
I had this issue with mine, and it turned out that when I had initially soldered the potentiometer I hadn't quite bridged the gap between the solder pad and the middle leg of the pot. I ended up going through both the control board and main board and re-flowing every solder joint and double-checking it.
Thanks - I have re-soldered both the pots and it hasn't fixed it. The fact that neither of the Hold pots work makes me think it's something in the circuit that would affect both - one of the ICs for example, but I don't know which one controls the Hold function

User avatar
red-tin-dave
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:48 am
Location: Hebden Bridge. UK

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by red-tin-dave » Sun May 24, 2020 3:54 am


For anyone who might be interested the first part of my blog post about building the Lyra-8 is on the RS Designspark web site . Including a stop frame animation of the main board being put together:
https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/b ... g-assembly

User avatar
red-tin-dave
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:48 am
Location: Hebden Bridge. UK

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by red-tin-dave » Thu May 28, 2020 1:47 am

IMG_20200527_183353.jpg
Case finished now. Bent acrylic with wax infill lettering.
I have Inkscape and dxf files I can share if anyone would like them
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

D.Tilbury
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:47 pm
Location: Milky Wae

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by D.Tilbury » Thu May 28, 2020 4:44 pm

That looks excellent
-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

User avatar
Addam
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 357
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:40 pm
Location: Hudson Valley

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Addam » Thu May 28, 2020 5:59 pm

Yeah, looks like a slick machine. Did you ever get that hold knob issue sorted?

User avatar
nourson
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:30 pm
Location: Liège

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by nourson » Fri May 29, 2020 2:42 am

Hello ! Here's a simple, but expensive mod for improving fine tunning of the Lyra
Last edited by nourson on Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
red-tin-dave
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:48 am
Location: Hebden Bridge. UK

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by red-tin-dave » Fri May 29, 2020 8:17 am

Addam wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:59 pm
Yeah, looks like a slick machine. Did you ever get that hold knob issue sorted?
Thanks! Just sorted the Hold problem now. I had used switched jack sockets - the ones that disconnect the tip connectors when there isn't a jack plugged in (they were some I had lying around and it never occurred they would cause a problem). :doh:
I discovered the Hold worked when I plugged a jack in the Hold Gate socket, even when it wasn't connected to anything and had a light bulb moment and realised what I'd done wrong. Quickly rectified by soldering a bit of wire across the two tip connections on the PCB.

It's droning away like massive swarm of wasps as I type! :)

User avatar
Addam
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 357
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:40 pm
Location: Hudson Valley

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Addam » Fri May 29, 2020 8:52 am

Nice troubleshooting. I love (and hate, mostly hate) when thinking about the problem doesn't present a solution haha. Glad it's sorted and that issue is good to keep in mind.

nourson, excellent work and very nice panel.

User avatar
eno
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:34 am

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by eno » Sun May 31, 2020 6:49 pm

gluepet wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:26 pm
Front Panel has arrived!
Image
That looks friction' awesome :-)

User avatar
gluepet
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:55 pm
Location: St Pete

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by gluepet » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:57 pm

Finally finished this fantastic beast! Wanted to pass on some items that may be helpful:
• Shipping adds up quickly for component orders - I wish that I had planned better and gotten everything in one or two big hauls. Also, I ordered extras of most all components as backups, and didn't need any of them. Something to consider...
• Tayda seems to be most economical source for majority components - they do not have everything, but mouser should have most of the rest. There are some useful shopping lists around pages 14-16 of this thread that others have shared
• Lay the big cap flat against the board - it is too tall for most enclosures to stand
• Source potentiometers that have solder "hole" contacts - not "tab" contacts - very tedious to solder and probably not as durable a connection
• Use cut leads from components for making "legs" for the switches on control board - see SOMA pics of inside factory build
• There may be an argument for not using IC sockets, but I wish that I had used them, instead of soldering directly to board, as I am curious to try out some different 2399 delay chips for comparison.
• Use small gauge solder for the 2 tiny SOMA-provided surface mount IC’s - .3mm worked well for me
• It was worthwhile for me to get pro assist for case hole drilling - I reached out to a friend who has a millwork shop who knocked this out for me in 10 minutes

Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Flounderguts
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 832
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:56 pm
Location: SLC
Contact:

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by Flounderguts » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:32 pm

Nice job! And that Mercury7 looks like a great partner for the Lyra!
----------------------

Flounderguts

User avatar
red-tin-dave
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:48 am
Location: Hebden Bridge. UK

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by red-tin-dave » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:49 am

gluepet wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:57 pm
Finally finished this fantastic beast! Wanted to pass on some items that may be helpful:
...
• Tayda seems to be most economical source for majority components - they do not have everything, but mouser should have most of the rest. There are some useful shopping lists around pages 14-16 of this thread that others have shared
• Lay the big cap flat against the board - it is too tall for most enclosures to stand
• Source potentiometers that have solder "hole" contacts - not "tab" contacts - very tedious to solder and probably not as durable a connection
• Use cut leads from components for making "legs" for the switches on control board - see SOMA pics of inside factory build
• There may be an argument for not using IC sockets, but I wish that I had used them, instead of soldering directly to board, as I am curious to try out some different 2399 delay chips for comparison.

...
looks like a really neat job you've done there!
I didn't find the tab style pots too difficult to solder but I'm sure you're right about the hole ones being more durable.
Tayda seems to the cheapest source of stuff but it too for ever to get to me - my package went from Thailand to Turkey to Germany then back to Thailand then Singapore then Germany again before arriving in the UK! Tracking it was great fun!
Definitley a good idea to use IC sockets - I had Toshiba 4093s that I used initially but swapped them for the recommended TI ones and noticed the difference in sound straight away. And I am going to try some alternative delay chips.

And the CCCP style cap I used is taller on its side than the big one next to it is standing up! So lucky I was making my own case.

D.Tilbury
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:47 pm
Location: Milky Wae

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by D.Tilbury » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:51 am

Reaaaaallly clean looking unit. Its interesting that you noticed a difference right away with those chips. That is cool.
-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

User avatar
red-tin-dave
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:48 am
Location: Hebden Bridge. UK

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by red-tin-dave » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:05 pm

The second part of my blog post is now up on the DesignSpark web site if anyone is interested -

It includes loads of pictures of the build and a stop frame animation of the control board going together.

User avatar
seal_cobblr
Common Wiggler
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:37 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by seal_cobblr » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:12 am

red-tin-dave wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:17 am
Addam wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:59 pm
Yeah, looks like a slick machine. Did you ever get that hold knob issue sorted?
Thanks! Just sorted the Hold problem now. I had used switched jack sockets - the ones that disconnect the tip connectors when there isn't a jack plugged in (they were some I had lying around and it never occurred they would cause a problem). :doh:
I discovered the Hold worked when I plugged a jack in the Hold Gate socket, even when it wasn't connected to anything and had a light bulb moment and realised what I'd done wrong. Quickly rectified by soldering a bit of wire across the two tip connections on the PCB.

It's droning away like massive swarm of wasps as I type! :)
Oh man, I hope this is where my build went wrong. This thing is a nightmare to troubleshoot.

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”