Ambika trouble

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

mutronic
Common Wiggler

Ambika trouble

Post by mutronic » Tue May 23, 2017 4:13 pm

So I got my Ambika mobo together, did the power supply test without the ICs and everything tested out correctly. I put the ICs in, and plug in my 9v AC/AC 1000 mAmp power supply, and I get no LED lights. Has anyone ever had this issue?

mutronic
Common Wiggler

Post by mutronic » Tue May 23, 2017 4:19 pm

Do I need a card installed in order for the LEDs to light up?

mutronic
Common Wiggler

Post by mutronic » Tue May 23, 2017 4:56 pm

Inserted a card and it didn't do anything. Tested all the LEDs and pots with a multi-meter, and they all read out 5v.

ronski
Common Wiggler

Post by ronski » Tue May 23, 2017 5:19 pm

Do you have any voice cards installed? Or is this the "card" you speak about. I thought you meant a memory card by this...

mutronic
Common Wiggler

Post by mutronic » Tue May 23, 2017 5:23 pm

I meant voice card when I said card.

Here are some pics of the mobo:
http://imgur.com/rBUId7s
http://imgur.com/nWWa5pC

ronski
Common Wiggler

Post by ronski » Tue May 23, 2017 5:51 pm

Ah ok.

Not sure if it works without voice cards, or if LEDs work.
It's been some years since I've build this but I don't see your lcd screen installed. Shouldn't that be in there as well, or is it just on this picture like that.

If you press the switches no LEDs go on?
All ic's are oriented the right direction (just double checking)

mutronic
Common Wiggler

Post by mutronic » Tue May 23, 2017 6:16 pm

The LCD screen I got ended up not being able to fit properly, so I'm planning on acquiring a new one in the near future. Wasn't sure if that was imperative or not to seeing if the LEDs and voice card are receiving power. None of the switches affect the LEDs. All of the ICs are facing the right direction. I guess I'll just wait to get an LCD to see if that makes a difference.

CeeJay
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CeeJay » Tue May 23, 2017 6:24 pm

Have you flashed the microcontroller (atmega chip) with the firmware. Or did you bought it pre-programmed?

mutronic
Common Wiggler

Post by mutronic » Tue May 23, 2017 7:18 pm

I have not flashed the atmega chip (it isn't pre-programmed). I'll try that and see what happens.

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Wed May 24, 2017 12:40 am

The microcontroller controls basically everything in the unit including the LEDs so if you haven't programmed the ATMega on the motherboard, it's pretty much given that nothing will happen and the LEDs will stay unlit.
Warm thank you to everyone for the past 10 years. I'm not active here anymore for personal reasons, so for those I've had the pleasure of dealing with please send an e-mail instead of PM if you wish to get in touch.

Sunshine Jones
Common Wiggler

Post by Sunshine Jones » Wed May 24, 2017 12:20 pm

I'm pretty sure that even without a voice card the LEDs and screen will behave normally. That's also true with a DC power supply connected (but you won't get any sound.)

My best guess is that the MCU isn't seated or connected properly. Until the main chip is programmed and installed the LEDs will not know what to do.

mutronic
Common Wiggler

Post by mutronic » Wed May 24, 2017 1:20 pm

I'm currently working on programming the MCU. I managed to get this part programmed:
avrdude -B 100 -V -p m644p -c usbtiny -P usb -e -u -U efuse:w:0xfd:m -U hfuse:w:0xd2:m -U lfuse:w:0xff:m -U lock:w:0x2f:m
But am having trouble with the hex files. When I moved the files into the avrdude folder in linux, the ambika_controller.hex file has an X on the file, and the boot loader doesn't seem to work either. Should I be putting the files in the avrdude folder at all?

mutronic
Common Wiggler

Post by mutronic » Wed May 24, 2017 5:37 pm

Got it working! Now to get an LCD.

alain6870
Common Wiggler

Post by alain6870 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:24 am

The MOBO works in standalone mode without the voice cards, but you have to program the ATMEL first else nothing will happen. Without the MCU all you see is the backlight of the display LCD. To test your MOBO you don't need to have an SD card. Without the card you don't get access to storage possibilities.

Sunshine Jones
Common Wiggler

Post by Sunshine Jones » Thu May 25, 2017 3:39 pm

mutronic wrote:Got it working! Now to get an LCD.
Great Job!

Careful with your LCD selection. Go with what's recommended. I made the terrible mistake of wanting a "fancy" one, and buying something which ended up being only 3v (and not understanding that until I had installed it.)

Jumpers, reflow, and an SMD workaround to convert the display to 5v later, it was working great... but I would spare you that heartache if I could. totally a drag.

Glad you've come this far. Congrats!

mutronic
Common Wiggler

Post by mutronic » Fri May 26, 2017 7:16 am

Sunshine Jones wrote:
Great Job!

Careful with your LCD selection. Go with what's recommended. I made the terrible mistake of wanting a "fancy" one, and buying something which ended up being only 3v (and not understanding that until I had installed it.)

Jumpers, reflow, and an SMD workaround to convert the display to 5v later, it was working great... but I would spare you that heartache if I could. totally a drag.

Thanks! Was said LCD an OLED? I was actually considering one, but have been having second thoughts just to save money and the possible chance of another screw up (I already desoldered one due to size and mis-installation).

Sunshine Jones
Common Wiggler

Post by Sunshine Jones » Fri May 26, 2017 11:47 am

mutronic wrote:
Sunshine Jones wrote:
Great Job!

Thanks! Was said LCD an OLED? I was actually considering one, but have been having second thoughts just to save money and the possible chance of another screw up (I already desoldered one due to size and mis-installation).

No, I originally tried to use a special black and white LCD which looked easier to read than the part in the BOM.

Schanke
Learning to Wiggle

Ambika flashing issue

Post by Schanke » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:53 am

Hi i nearly finnished my ambika build (having all the ref voltages on the mobo), but none of the atmegas will let me flash normally when i use the code from the MUI website:

avrdude -B 1 -V -p m644p -c usbtiny -P usb -U
flash:w:ambika_controller.hex:i -U
flash:w:ambika_controller_boot.hex:i -U lock:w:0x2f:m

i get a failure message.

if i leave out the -b1 and -u lock:....
so my commandline looks like this:

avrdude -c usbtiny -p m644p -V -U flash:w:ambika_controller.hex:i -U
flash:w:ambika_controller_boot.hex

i can somehow flash the chip it is the same issue with the voice cards.
first there also did the leds light up on the voicecards now they dont anymore.

if i hook up a voicard to the mobo wich seems to work fine as i have all the functionality on the display i get a strange constant high tone wich doesnt react to any midi massage at all.

i guess i am not able set the internal clock on the atmegas wich is super weird as it appears on all of them.

thankfull for any advice or help.
regards
simon

Return to “Music Tech DIY”