Roland Jupiter 6 voice board separate outputs mod

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Fubard
Common Wiggler

Roland Jupiter 6 voice board separate outputs mod

Post by Fubard » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:13 pm

————————- (((!!Update!!!))) ———————————

—————-:sb: & possible success :sb: ————————

The enginuative & brave new wiggler Diamondcitystudios says he’s actually done this! I haven tried his method myself yet, but plan on making time for it this December. If anyone else wants to have a go, please report your success and/or issues/fixes here. I cant wait to hear everyones success stories!

Scroll down to the pix & a brief description.

———————————————————————————————-

I found the archived index page on the now gone roland-jupiter.org forum showing the thread where this was achieved but the thread its self wasnt archived. Started another thread asking how to track down someone who might know how to find that data.

Still passionate about making this happen one way or the other. :goo:

-—---------------–---–-----------------------------------------------------------

Somewhere in the last few years I swear I found a thread discussing a mod for the JP6 to have individual outputs using the existing tape jacks since theyre no longer needed w the europa mod. Now I'm finally ready to do it & I cant find it ANYWHERE. Is anyone familiar w how this is possible? Can anyone tell where one could lift an audio signal from the two boards to make this happen?

I even looked at wayback archives from rolandjupiter.org n NOTHING

I know its possible, it HAS been done.

If youre interested, here are the schematics: http://dl.lojinx.com/analoghell/RolandJ ... eNotes.pdf

Anyway the service notes are there but its kind of hard to make sence of em. There's a lot in there & I'm a mere amateure.

I hereby appeal to the synth diy gods of higher understanding. :hail:
Last edited by Fubard on Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Thanks!

dougt
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dougt » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:25 am

Separate outs for the 2-voice and 4-voice boards should be easy although I haven't done it. Or are you looking for separate outs for each of the 6 voices?

Fubard
Common Wiggler

Post by Fubard » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:36 pm

For individual voices would definately be cool, I just dont imagine myself taking advantage of it. As intriguing as the idea is, I really just meant for the two boards.

After a disclaimer, an amazing individual at circuitbenders UK suggested running wires from terminal 36 & 38 through switched jacks would likely work as theure the voice boards outputs. (& i was looking at the vco outs) sounded like a good plan.

Now I'm just trying to wrap my head around what to do w the negative side. Its not DC so I dont think I can just ground it out. Thinking of maybe running it back to the negative side of the mixed out but I imagine the imbalance would fry something. I'm trying to contain the magic smoke.

Any suggestions are welcome! :sb:
Thanks!

Fubard
Common Wiggler

Post by Fubard » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:57 am

In case anyone is interested, I did end up finding the forum page where someone doing it! Aaand w balanced outs no less! Unfortunately the page its self wasnt crawled by the wayback machine. So close... :bang:

I started a seperate thread in the off topic forum asking for advise on tracking down anyone who might have retained data from that forum.

viewtopic.php?p=2625519#2625519

Of course if anyone could help me here w starting over & likely making a better one, youd have my infinite love and support. Not to mention making an invaluable addition to the vintage synth modification knowledge base :yay:
Thanks!

diamondcitystudio
1-Post Wiggler

jupiter

Post by diamondcitystudio » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:38 am

Fubard

figured this out and it totally works - let me konw and i can send pics. so easy

dougt
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dougt » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:50 pm

Great, how about attaching the pics to a post here?

Fubard
Common Wiggler

Post by Fubard » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:53 am

dougt wrote:Great, how about attaching the pics to a post here?
Hah! Right? Sorry.

Instructions from DiamondCityStudio: “literally two pieces of wire jumped to the tape save and load jacks. I took an exacto knife to the separate the one of the right from ground (make sure you beep it!).”

Simple enough! Alas, the pics:

Thanks!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”