uO_c 8hp ornament and crime.

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

snowtires
Common Wiggler

Re: uO_c 8hp ornament and crime.

Post by snowtires » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:54 pm

emmaker wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:33 pm
snowtires wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:53 pm
Anyone have extra pcbs for sale? I can't find one for the uO_c anywhere
Depending on what panel you want Synthcube might. Their website isn't that great for looking this up. For example they don't have board+panel but do have boards and panels separately for the same price as the combo.

https://synthcube.com/cart/index.php?ro ... ption=true
Awesome, thank you!

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:48 pm

Crunchyave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Crunchyave » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:53 pm

Hey everyone,

I just finished building a uO_c, had a great time! The module powers up without issue, no burning smells, etc. However, I am having some problems with correct voltage output and calibration:

Output 1 is outputting a constant -10.7v, no matter what the calibration settings.
The other three outputs, I am getting significant voltage drift on the order of about 0.25v, and it won't settle in. Unlike output one however, I can calibrate them across the range, but they won't stay in place.

I reflowed the DAC and can't see anything amiss - I'm not sure where else to look though. Any help is appreciated!

bawbag
Common Wiggler

Post by bawbag » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:53 pm

Did you deviate from the BOM at all?

Bartimaeus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bartimaeus » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:17 pm

for output 1, have you tried removing the resistor connecting it to the opamp, so you can test that pin in isolation as it were?

voltage fluctuation sounds like a problem with the power supply. have you measured whether the 5V, 3.3V, and reference voltages are all stable? you might want to double check that all of your caps are soldered right. those smd electrolytics always bug me, because it's too easy to miss when a pin isn't soldered right.

Crunchyave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Crunchyave » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:35 am

bawbag wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:53 pm
Not that I'm aware of - I had to make a couple part substitutions due to things being obsoleted or backordered, but I took care to match the values of the substitute parts. I may need to go back and doublecheck that though.
Bartimaeus wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:17 pm
for output 1, have you tried removing the resistor connecting it to the opamp, so you can test that pin in isolation as it were?

voltage fluctuation sounds like a problem with the power supply. have you measured whether the 5V, 3.3V, and reference voltages are all stable? you might want to double check that all of your caps are soldered right. those smd electrolytics always bug me, because it's too easy to miss when a pin isn't soldered right.
I have not tried testing the resistor and I'm not sure what pin that would be - I've built a few through-hole kits prior to this but the uO_c is my first SMD project, so I'm still pretty much a noob at this.

I will check the electrolytic caps though, you're right that it was hard to see whether they were connected well or not. I did reflow all the op amps and some of the passives last night.

Lastly, I'm not actually sure where to test the 5v and 3.3v measurements on the board - what spots should those be accessed at?

bawbag
Common Wiggler

Post by bawbag » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:02 pm

Crunchyave wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:35 am
bawbag wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:53 pm
Not that I'm aware of - I had to make a couple part substitutions due to things being obsoleted or backordered, but I took care to match the values of the substitute parts. I may need to go back and doublecheck that though.
Bartimaeus wrote:

I have not tried testing the resistor and I'm not sure what pin that would be - I've built a few through-hole kits prior to this but the uO_c is my first SMD project, so I'm still pretty much a noob at this.

I will check the electrolytic caps though, you're right that it was hard to see whether they were connected well or not. I did reflow all the op amps and some of the passives last night.

Lastly, I'm not actually sure where to test the 5v and 3.3v measurements on the board - what spots should those be accessed at?
No worries - you've got it almost working, so we just need to push it over the finish line. However, as it's a first-ever SMD job, would you mind posting up some hi-res pictures of your build? Even a smartphone camera will suffice at the closest possible focal length. You might need three or four photos to cover the board, but that will help in diagnosing things.

Bartimaeus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bartimaeus » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:17 pm

unfortunately the schematic doesn't have component numbers, but a lot of stuff is still identifiable:

to check voltages, measure at the pins of the voltage regulators and make sure they match up to the voltages specified in the schematic.

Crunchyave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Crunchyave » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:18 pm

Awesome, thanks for the replies! I’ll post up some close pics later this afternoon.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:48 pm

Bartimaeus wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:17 pm
unfortunately the schematic doesn't have component numbers, but a lot of stuff is still identifiable: ..

to check voltages, measure at the pins of the voltage regulators and make sure they match up to the voltages specified in the schematic.
Why not use the uOC schematic, that looks like OC

https://github.com/jakplugg/uO_c

Crunchyave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Crunchyave » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:18 am

Bartimaeus wrote:

Update:

I reflowed the electrolytic caps and that seems to have solved my voltage drift issue. There is still a small amount of drift, but rather than getting 0.25v swings it's more like 2-3 millivolts. A friend of mine that's built several of these says that's pretty normal to see, so I'm thinking this problem might be fixed!

I reflowed a few other things that looked suspect but output 1 is still outputting a consistent -10.7 volts. Work has been crazy so I haven't gotten decent pictures of the rest of the board, but will do that probably tonight.

Crunchyave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Crunchyave » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:25 am

Alright, here's some (hopefully clear enough) pictures of my uO_c work. At this point the only issue I'm aware of is that output 1 voltage is a constant -10.7 volts. The other inputs calibrate properly and my voltage drift (which used to be around 0.25v) is now to down what I think is a reasonable 2-4mv.

There might be other problems with the input stages - I haven't calibrated them as of yet.
Attachments
uO_c 8.png
uO_c 7.png
uO_c 6.png
uO_c 5.png
uO_c 4.png
uO_c 3.png
uO_c 2.png
uO_c 1.png

Bartimaeus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bartimaeus » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:48 am

i don't see anything too off about the build. here's an idea: try de-soldering R1, then measure the voltage on either side of it. that's the resistor connecting the DAC to the output buffer, so it the -10.7V is on the DAC side you know it's a DAC issue, and if the -10.7V is on the opamp side you know it's something with the opamp. though i'd also just measure voltages on U3.1 to make sure it's getting the correct power and vbias voltages.

Crunchyave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Crunchyave » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:52 pm

Thanks, will check those things. I had to reflow the DAC several times to get it right so I hope I didn't fry it in the process, especially since it would be challenging to do that without lifting the traces and destroying the PCB.

bawbag
Common Wiggler

Post by bawbag » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:40 pm

Crunchyave wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:52 pm
Thanks, will check those things. I had to reflow the DAC several times to get it right so I hope I didn't fry it in the process, especially since it would be challenging to do that without lifting the traces and destroying the PCB.
The joints below could do with some touching up. It also looks like you have a lot of flux residue that needs to be removed. It can also cause issues, so get your isopropyl alcohol out and give it a good wash.
Attachments
InkeduO_c 4_LI.jpg

skinpop
Learning to Wiggle

Post by skinpop » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:19 am

I'm currently building one of these. Is it possible to load the firmware before installing the teensy on the module by simply connecting a usb to the teensy and uploading the hex file?
blue noise

synthetek
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synthetek » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:28 am

skinpop wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:19 am
I'm currently building one of these. Is it possible to load the firmware before installing the teensy on the module by simply connecting a usb to the teensy and uploading the hex file?
Yes, as long as you haven't cut the power trace on the teensy

skinpop
Learning to Wiggle

Post by skinpop » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:44 am

synthetek wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:28 am
skinpop wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:19 am
Yes, as long as you haven't cut the power trace on the teensy
Thanks! Also I forgot to ask, but is it correct that power can be connected either way(there is no "negative" marking)? It says "Either way" on the PCB...
blue noise

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:48 am

skinpop wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:44 am

Thanks! Also I forgot to ask, but is it correct that power can be connected either way(there is no "negative" marking)? It says "Either way" on the PCB...
no its a joke. it says that so you have a 50/50 chance of destroying the module. ;)

skinpop
Learning to Wiggle

Post by skinpop » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:39 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:48 am
skinpop wrote:

no its a joke. it says that so you have a 50/50 chance of destroying the module. ;)
I managed to not burn down the house, and everything is working perfectly. Thanks :tu:
blue noise

emmaker
Ultra Wiggler

Post by emmaker » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:33 pm

Altitude909 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:48 am
skinpop wrote:

Looking at the schematic I think you can put power in either way. This is not a O&C and it has a full wave rect. to deal with this. Someone else should check this out.

Jay S.

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:41 am

I have a calibration issue with ALL uO&C I have built (4 of them , not my first uO&C).
They all have a fixed voltage of 1.15V at their outputs, when trying to calibrate the various -3V, -2V and so on.
No shorts on the DAC or on the OPAs, I checked v_bias (between R13 and R14 and C21) and I can measure 1.23V
I have +/- 1.15V constant voltage at each output jack, always, and all the pins of the two OPA2172 have +/- 1.20 on them (excecpt a +12 and -12 on pins 4 and 8)
Maybe a wrong component on them?
I attach a picture of one of my builds...

Any idea for this fixed voltage at each output?
micro_oec_debug.jpg

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:06 am

OK, I think I got it. Resistors around U3 and U4 (R3, R5, R9, R11) where not the correct values. :bang: :bang: :bang:
Swapping them with the CORRECT 100K ones solved the calibration issues. Next, check if all other 100K resistors are correct (probably not)... maybe I got a wrong bag or a wrongly labeled bag???.
that's why one should always measure resistor values with a MM before soldering :-)

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:10 am

..or use a brand that has labels on them

bawbag
Common Wiggler

Post by bawbag » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:26 am

Yup - I recommend the Koa Speer RK73H series. They're blue, clearly labelled and cheap.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”