Eurorack Benjolin DIY

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

tekzon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tekzon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:30 am

If the PCB ain't 50$... I'm in.
Thanks for the initiative

joncharliefeathers
Common Wiggler

Post by joncharliefeathers » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:17 pm

So how many different flavours of the benjolin exist in the eurorack format. I have seen an Epoch and a Klangbau Köln. Completely different panel sizes.

sleepgardens
Common Wiggler

Post by sleepgardens » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:04 am

joncharliefeathers wrote:So how many different flavours of the benjolin exist in the eurorack format. I have seen an Epoch and a Klangbau Köln. Completely different panel sizes.
There are 3 as far as i know:
- Epoch one is the official one licensed by Rob.
- Klangbau Koln one, also i believe licensed by Rob (since I don't think he would sell them otherwise).
- The DIY one, PCB made by the user Kweinen with the approval from Rob for a one-time run and a maximum of two pcb per person. The run has ended but somebody may still have a pcb laying around. Panels for this build are available from Pusherman.

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:48 pm

joncharliefeathers wrote:So how many different flavours of the benjolin exist in the eurorack format. I have seen an Epoch and a Klangbau Köln. Completely different panel sizes.
Quite a lot of people have done their own as well for personal use (I have)

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:09 pm

Rob has kindly given permission for me to share my files on GitHub.

These are strictly for non-commercial use. Please respect that.

https://github.com/forestcaver/Benjolin

tron23
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tron23 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:16 pm

Really great news, thank you so much for this contribution. :guinness:

oberkorn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oberkorn » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:55 pm

thank you forestcaver and Rob for this :tu:
this blank space left intentionally

joncharliefeathers
Common Wiggler

Post by joncharliefeathers » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:41 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice and offerings, i’ll Be sure to persue the module further. I would like to put a suitable pcb behind the klangbau Köln plate. Your pointers I will study carefully and Look for a solution.

Granny
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Granny » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:42 am

how does the Epoch version compare to the Kweien DIY version? somebody wants to sell their DIY version and it costs half as much

but im unsure, since i was reading about a few "mistakes" that were made on the PCB

on the other side:
- there seems to be an audio input
- and the filter outs are louder

somebody also mentioned that the DIY version behaves similar to the epoch version when its unpatched, through some modifications

mrtweed
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Eurorack Benjolin DIY

Post by mrtweed » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:46 am

mistakes were only on v1 of the tseng pcb, there was a v2 produced that fixed these. there's a resistor change that can make the main out louder at the cost of losing some character from the filter, not sure if thats what youre referring to? there's some cross modulation not present in this diy version that can be added with a couple of wires or just self patched.

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:28 am

mrtweed wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:46 am
mistakes were only on v1 of the tseng pcb, there was a v2 produced that fixed these. there's a resistor change that can make the main out louder at the cost of losing some character from the filter, not sure if thats what youre referring to? there's some cross modulation not present in this diy version that can be added with a couple of wires or just self patched.
I built two of the Kweien DIY versions and I also have an Epoch version. I noticed the mod pots on the Epoch version effect the sound when no external CV is patched yet the DIY version the mod pots do nothing unless external CV is patched in.
Is that what you're referring to when you mentioned adding some additional wires? I wasn't aware of any mods to the DIY version.

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:15 pm

Didnt know the v2 of the tseng pcb addressed power, volume and 2164 protection issues - thanks for the info. (The schematic on his github that says it has some fixes doesnt include these changes though).

The second (1.6) version of mine normals oscillators to the cv inputs so turning the attenuators anywhere from non-zero adds modulation to oscillator 1, osc 2 and the filter. That version also adds gain to bring up the output to eurorack levels *after* the filter (so no change in its character)

Ps pcbs from mine should not be for sale (apart from non-profit amongst friends), but it’s so cheap to send the pcb and panel gerbers to allpcb or jlcpcb that I cant imagine anyone offering them for sale :-)

mrtweed
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mrtweed » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:52 am

forestcaver wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:15 pm
Didnt know the v2 of the tseng pcb addressed power, volume and 2164 protection issues - thanks for the info. (The schematic on his github that says it has some fixes doesnt include these changes though).
sorry just to be clear i was only referring to the pot issues, although i never experienced the power or 2164 issues in any of my builds.

EASYBOY
Learning to Wiggle

Post by EASYBOY » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:29 pm

forestcaver wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:15 pm

The second (1.6) version of mine normals oscillators to the cv inputs so turning the attenuators anywhere from non-zero adds modulation to oscillator 1, osc 2 and the filter. That version also adds gain to bring up the output to eurorack levels *after* the filter (so no change in its character)

Ps pcbs from mine should not be for sale (apart from non-profit amongst friends), but it’s so cheap to send the pcb and panel gerbers to allpcb or jlcpcb that I cant imagine anyone offering them for sale :-)
Where do i find the files i need To send To print?

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:44 pm

EASYBOY wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:29 pm
Where do i find the files i need To send To print?
Scroll ten posts up the thread and click the link

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:48 pm

mrtweed wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:52 am
sorry just to be clear i was only referring to the pot issues, although i never experienced the power or 2164 issues in any of my builds.
Ah, ok ! Sorry! I misunderstood (I really have no idea about the version history of the Tseng version so I’d believe anything :-) )

Return to “Music Tech DIY”