Deckards Dream General Build Thread

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:59 am

its related to the pad spacing, the diodes are slightly different sizes. Functionally the same.
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2SynthCube

synthcube webstore www.synthcube.com/cart
music from outer space: www.musicfromouterspace.com
blacet research: www.blacet.com
MOTM DIY Analog Synthesizers: www.motmsynthesizers.com
music from outer space euro smt: www.mfoseuro.com

tarandfeathers
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tarandfeathers » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:52 am

needspeed wrote:
sduck wrote:Just make sure you have a few extra caps handy as you're likely to blow away at least a few. At least I've heard that can happen - of course it never happens to me. Nope.
As in blow them across the room???????
Hot air is really for removal, not assembly, because it isn't easy to tightly control the temperature profile using hot air by hand. I had an issue using hot air to solder where the components were literally popping off the board, not blowing due to airflow (which was low, but high temperature). My hypothesis is that this was to do with humidity and moisture either in the paste or on the surface of the components turning to steam in an explosive fashion rather than gradually evaporating. I switched to the hotplate method, with a heavy tile between the hotplate and the circuit boards that provides a decent thermal mass so that fast changes in the hotplate temperature are absorbed and controlled. I've had great results with this for prototyping, so long as you only have SMT on one side if the board.

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:12 pm

This diode is part of the negative rail voltage protection used on each 2164. If the 2164s are powered on the V+ pin with the V- rail missing/disconnected/unpowered a condition exists where a significant current flows into V+ which can damage the part. V+ internally tries to pull the free-floating V- up and if it gets above ~0.7v large currents start to flow as the voltage starts bypassing ordinarily reversed-biased junctions. The external diode clamps the V- to ground at a known lower forward voltage (~0.25v) to avoid this issue.

A 1N5187 or BAT85 work equally well, Roman simply changed the part to a smaller package to match up with the pads on the boards.

Crow
/**/

needspeed wrote:
Did you guys catch this change???

Per ultravox - REV1.0.6 CHANGED 1N5817 TO BAT85S ON THE MOTHERBOARD

needspeed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by needspeed » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:58 am

oldcrow wrote:This diode is part of the negative rail voltage protection used on each 2164. If the 2164s are powered on the V+ pin with the V- rail missing/disconnected/unpowered a condition exists where a significant current flows into V+ which can damage the part. V+ internally tries to pull the free-floating V- up and if it gets above ~0.7v large currents start to flow as the voltage starts bypassing ordinarily reversed-biased junctions. The external diode clamps the V- to ground at a known lower forward voltage (~0.25v) to avoid this issue.

A 1N5187 or BAT85 work equally well, Roman simply changed the part to a smaller package to match up with the pads on the boards.

Crow
/**/

needspeed wrote:
Did you guys catch this change???

Per ultravox - REV1.0.6 CHANGED 1N5817 TO BAT85S ON THE MOTHERBOARD
Thank you very much for your knowledge and wisdom........Steve
To a never ending journey of exploring all noise that may or may not be music to someone or anyone.

Jruss993
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jruss993 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:14 am

Woohoo! Synthcube just sent out my full kit for DD. Now just waiting on the front panel and case. So excited to finally have this coming together!

needspeed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by needspeed » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:05 pm

Jruss993 wrote:Woohoo! Synthcube just sent out my full kit for DD. Now just waiting on the front panel and case. So excited to finally have this coming together!
Very happy to hear that, but I figure unless you have the PCBs the panel and case are circumstantial at best :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
To a never ending journey of exploring all noise that may or may not be music to someone or anyone.

Jruss993
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jruss993 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:14 pm

needspeed wrote:
Jruss993 wrote:Woohoo! Synthcube just sent out my full kit for DD. Now just waiting on the front panel and case. So excited to finally have this coming together!
Very happy to hear that, but I figure unless you have the PCBs the panel and case are circumstantial at best :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yup! :hihi:

Chrutil
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chrutil » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:19 pm

My video about hand soldering 0805 SMD caps got some comments about how it could be done with solder paste and a hot air station instead.
This got me curious so I decided to try it out and make a comparison video:

Soldering 0805 Caps for Deckard's Dream part 2 - Iron or Hot Air

needspeed
Veteran Wiggler

My PCBs have made it from Tokyo to Chicago

Post by needspeed » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:00 am

MY PCBs have made it to Chicago from Japan. That is only 4 or so hours from where I live!!!!!!!!!!! It's got to be this week so hopefully I will be the first to post PCB pics unless on of you beat me to it!!!!!!!!!!!

10/15/2017 22:44 Item returned from import Customs ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

roglok
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by roglok » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:08 am

Has anyone found an alternative source for switch/slider caps yet. The pricing for the ones specified in the BOM is outrageous (3£ for 10pcs). After all those are just tiny coloured PVC nipples...

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by the bad producer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:32 am

@roglok - I'm going to buy the Smallbear soft touch ones in white and dye them, like this chap:

viewtopic.php?t=83775

These: $0.12 each

http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigc ... oft-touch/

roglok
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by roglok » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:42 am

the bad producer wrote:@roglok - I'm going to buy the Smallbear soft touch ones in white and dye them, like this chap:

viewtopic.php?t=83775

These: $0.12 each

http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigc ... oft-touch/
Thanks for the link - that sounds a bit more reasonable! Doing it the hard way, I don't suppose you'd be willing to produce a few extras...

:whistle: Give somebody an inch...

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by the bad producer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:59 am

:fu:

:hihi:

Yeah, why not - they may not be exactly the correct colour :miley:

I'll let you know how it goes!

Jruss993
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jruss993 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:44 pm

Chrutil wrote:My video about hand soldering 0805 SMD caps got some comments about how it could be done with solder paste and a hot air station instead.
This got me curious so I decided to try it out and make a comparison video:

Soldering 0805 Caps for Deckard's Dream part 2 - Iron or Hot Air
Thanks for the video! I think without a reflow oven, it seems quicker and more practical to just use an iron. I find 0805's pretty comfortable to solder with the right prep and equipment. 0603 on the other hand, it ain't so easy :goo:

Sideshow
Common Wiggler

Post by Sideshow » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:09 pm

roglok wrote:Has anyone found an alternative source for switch/slider caps yet. The pricing for the ones specified in the BOM is outrageous (3£ for 10pcs). After all those are just tiny coloured PVC nipples...
Sounds like group buy stuff...
What is this?!?!?! A synthesizer for ants?!?! It needs to be at least.... ....three times this big!!
- J3RK / Zoolander

ultravox
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ultravox » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:44 pm

Sideshow wrote:
roglok wrote:Has anyone found an alternative source for switch/slider caps yet. The pricing for the ones specified in the BOM is outrageous (3£ for 10pcs). After all those are just tiny coloured PVC nipples...
Sounds like group buy stuff...
The switch covers arrived today. I ordered the colors separately but they arrived as a kit.

This means nothing to me... Oh, Vienna!

Sideshow
Common Wiggler

Post by Sideshow » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:01 pm

ultravox wrote:The switch covers arrived today. I ordered the colors separately but they arrived as a kit.

Cool!
So they came as a kit? And you didn't order it as a kit?
What is this?!?!?! A synthesizer for ants?!?! It needs to be at least.... ....three times this big!!
- J3RK / Zoolander

ultravox
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ultravox » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:14 pm

Sideshow wrote: Cool!
Exactly. When I placed the order I didn't see a Deckard's Dream kit option. Maybe they knew what I wanted by the colors I chose?

Sideshow
Common Wiggler

Post by Sideshow » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:23 pm

ultravox wrote:
Exactly. When I placed the order I didn't see a Deckard's Dream kit option. Maybe they knew what I wanted by the colors I chose?
Sweet! Just sent them an mail asking for the kit.
They really should make it an option in their webstore 8-)
- J3RK / Zoolander

roglok
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by roglok » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:53 pm

ultravox wrote:
so how much was the kit?

ultravox
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ultravox » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:03 pm

roglok wrote:
ultravox wrote:
so how much was the kit?
I paid £2.99 for quantities of 10 of each required color. There wasn't a kit advertised, it just arrived that way. :hihi:

keninverse
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by keninverse » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:42 am

Spoke to Roman. He's amenable to the idea of releasing the smd gerber layer to the public so we can get some stencils. No reason for all of us to each buy one so maybe we can pass a few around?

needspeed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by needspeed » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:45 am

keninverse wrote:Spoke to Roman. He's amenable to the idea of releasing the smd gerber layer to the public so we can get some stencils. No reason for all of us to each buy one so maybe we can pass a few around?
That is very cool for those who are so inclined.....Good news....Steve

weedywhizz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weedywhizz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:48 am

Will have vinyl switch / slider covers in a few days in 6 colors:
black / white / blue / red / yellow / orange

The ones from that kit pictured above look like the ones from Mouser (The ones on microminiatures website do not). It these are the same - they will most likely crack on the sliders.

Might offer kits but no green color available.
Buchla format cases & parts - Buchla 200s series clone PCBs & panels - www.samodular.com

weedywhizz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weedywhizz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:49 am

black / white / blue / red / yellow / orange vinyl caps available in a few days.

The ones from that kit pictured above look like the ones from Mouser (The ones on microminiatures website do not). It these are the same - they will most likely crack on the sliders.

Might offer kits but no green and grey color available.
Buchla format cases & parts - Buchla 200s series clone PCBs & panels - www.samodular.com

Return to “Music Tech DIY”