Deckards Dream General Build Thread

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Deckards Dream General Build Thread

Post by steviet » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:07 pm

c0ntr4d1ct10n wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:03 am
Silly me. Turns out that this is normal as the 3.3v for the sliders is on a different rail on rev2.

So now I got the firmware loaded and the OLED is working. When I enter in a voice card (just a single one), the +5V led is off and -5V and -12V leds on the psu flash slowly meaning there must be some sort of error on the voice card right? Note that this still occurs even when I take out all of the chips on the voice card.

When I take out the voice card, the DD seems to boot fine and I get the main menu on the OLED. However, now none of the pushbuttons seem to work. Even the shift button doesn't seem to work (like before I loaded the firmware, I was able to turn it on while pressing shift, but now it doesn't seem to do anything).
Not that it would be helpful to you... but could you check your PSU board and my post above your own to see if there is that missing SMD component?

Maybe the Karma you accrue from doing so will help with your issues :party: wish I was closer to the end so I could help! Are the encoders and buttons getting any weird voltage? Strange that they worked, but then stopped... Did they stop working after you had plugged in the voice card?
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:55 pm

steviet wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:07 pm
c0ntr4d1ct10n wrote:
Silly me. Turns out that this is normal as the 3.3v for the sliders is on a different rail on rev2.

So now I got the firmware loaded and the OLED is working. When I enter in a voice card (just a single one), the +5V led is off and -5V and -12V leds on the psu flash slowly meaning there must be some sort of error on the voice card right? Note that this still occurs even when I take out all of the chips on the voice card.

When I take out the voice card, the DD seems to boot fine and I get the main menu on the OLED. However, now none of the pushbuttons seem to work. Even the shift button doesn't seem to work (like before I loaded the firmware, I was able to turn it on while pressing shift, but now it doesn't seem to do anything).
Not that it would be helpful to you... but could you check your PSU board and my post above your own to see if there is that missing SMD component?

Maybe the Karma you accrue from doing so will help with your issues :party: wish I was closer to the end so I could help! Are the encoders and buttons getting any weird voltage? Strange that they worked, but then stopped... Did they stop working after you had plugged in the voice card?
Which missing smd component? Is your board rev2?
The thing is, I don't actually know if the pushbuttons worked, only that shift worked because I was able to go into usb mode to load the firmware but pushing it and turning it on. If you turn it on while pressing shift, do you still enter into usb mode even after you've formatted and loaded the firmware now?

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:50 pm

c0ntr4d1ct10n wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:55 pm
The thing is, I don't actually know if the pushbuttons worked, only that shift worked because I was able to go into usb mode to load the firmware but pushing it and turning it on. If you turn it on while pressing shift, do you still enter into usb mode even after you've formatted and loaded the firmware now?
Yes my board is a Rev2. It is very hard to see in the first picture I posted, here is a picture with the component circled:

As far as holding the shift button while power on, I believe it should still enter USB mode, even after loading and formatting. I believe this is the case because the procedure should be the same for updating the firmware. Have you tried the facebook group? Word on the street is that it is much more active than this thread. Best of luck!! It will be alive one day, just keep at it :sb:
Soundcloud

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:03 pm

steviet wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:50 pm
c0ntr4d1ct10n wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:55 pm
Yes my board is a Rev2. It is very hard to see in the first picture I posted, here is a picture with the component circled:

As far as holding the shift button while power on, I believe it should still enter USB mode, even after loading and formatting. I believe this is the case because the procedure should be the same for updating the firmware. Have you tried the facebook group? Word on the street is that it is much more active than this thread. Best of luck!! It will be alive one day, just keep at it :sb:
Yes, you're right! - that component is missing on my rev2 psu. What does this mean?

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:23 pm

Thank you for checking! If it's missing on mine and yours, then it was likely a part that isn't meant to be placed. I asked you to check to see if my PSU card was possibly missing a component. No need to worry about this little guy, it's by design I am assuming!
Soundcloud

B0bcat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by B0bcat » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:29 pm

I've searched and not found anything, but as voice card separation distance determines maximum component height (and therefore limits component selection) -- how far are they apart? BOM mentions a number of spacers, which hints voice cards are just 20-25 mm apart - is that correct?
WTB:
Malekko/Wiard Oscillator (Gargoyles),
Sputnik Dual Oscillator,
Plan B / SubCon Model 15 VCO, Plan B Model 12 VCF,
Macro Machines Storage Strip,
Intellijel FlipFlop,
Bastl SoftPop

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:35 pm

I believe the voice cards are separated by 10mm spacers.

EDIT
Peter posted below, looks like 20mm between cards as you mentioned!
Last edited by steviet on Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soundcloud

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:38 pm

steviet wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:07 pm
c0ntr4d1ct10n wrote:

Turns out it was the first voice card I built that had a problem. I just built a second voice card and plugged that in and it works! I get sound! :sb: (Thanks for the good karma). :yay:

However, the buttons still don't work. I put in a newCD4051 in IC15 and still no difference.

Zifor
Common Wiggler

Post by Zifor » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:36 am

Hi folks!
I thought this may be relevant to Deckards Builders.
Definitely works with rev 1. Don't see why it wouldn't work with Rev 2

To make my testing easier I built some card extenders so I could easily test the boards while powered on. It means you can easily test with an oscilloscope or multimeter if a signal or power is going through to the motherboard correctly.
I currently have 10 spare and happy to sell them to people for £10 plus postage depending on your location. If they get sold and there is good interest I’d happily do another run.
Here is what the boards look like (my personal one). The blue connector is the same as in the deckards BOM and the contacts are gold plated.
If you need any clarification please let me knowand pm me if your interested in this first run.This is my first time doing this and happy to help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maggots Gnawing Leppers Toes

campacasa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by campacasa » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:00 am

@steviet: I can confirm that also here the one SMD component is missing on the power board. Must be by design.

@B0bcat: The voice cards are at 20mm distance, while the PSU board has 25mm distance to the last voice card.

@c0ntr4d1ct10n: You've asked about the problems I had earlier this year. I'm aware that yours are different, as per your further postings. Since I got kind of frustrated I had given up the debugging at that time. There were anyway other things to do during spring and summer time. Now that the days are getting shorter and temperatures are going down, I do want to pick that up again. I'm not in a hurry, but of course would like to get this solved one day. I didn't spend the money to just keep things lying around.

Question: Would anyone still have an empty (no components soldered yet) mother board available? Then, what resistance are you measuring between ground and the +5V pins 31/32 of the power slot? Next, could anyone with a equipped board check the same (possibly with all ICs removed from the sockets)?

- Peter

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:57 pm

Anyone know where the 3.3V is supposed to be coming from on PBD1? I think this is the source of my problem with the pushbuttons (I only measure about 1.5V from pin 1 so must be something blocking it).

B0bcat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by B0bcat » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:16 am

steviet wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:35 pm
I believe the voice cards are separated by 10mm spacers.

EDIT
Peter posted below, looks like 20mm between cards as you mentioned!
Thank you both!!
WTB:
Malekko/Wiard Oscillator (Gargoyles),
Sputnik Dual Oscillator,
Plan B / SubCon Model 15 VCO, Plan B Model 12 VCF,
Macro Machines Storage Strip,
Intellijel FlipFlop,
Bastl SoftPop

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:49 am

campacasa wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:00 am
Question: Would anyone still have an empty (no components soldered yet) mother board available? Then, what resistance are you measuring between ground and the +5V pins 31/32 of the power slot?
- Peter
I got 6.41M ohms on my unpopulated rev 2.1 mother board. Hope that helps.

And I wish I could help c0ntr4d1ct10n! Best of luck, I'm sure someone here will have the info you need. Based on Rev 1 schematics it looks like it's coming from IC2 on the PSU board. I can take a closer look at my PSU board tomorrow to see if that's still the case with rev 2!
Soundcloud

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:03 am

steviet wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:49 am
campacasa wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:00 am
Question: Would anyone still have an empty (no components soldered yet) mother board available? Then, what resistance are you measuring between ground and the +5V pins 31/32 of the power slot?
- Peter
I got 6.41M ohms on my unpopulated rev 2.1 mother board. Hope that helps.

And I wish I could help c0ntr4d1ct10n! Best of luck, I'm sure someone here will have the info you need. Based on Rev 1 schematics it looks like it's coming from IC2 on the PSU board. I can take a closer look at my PSU board tomorrow to see if that's still the case with rev 2!
Thanks, glad you have rev 2. I think Roman mentioned that in rev 2, he kept the sliders on a separate 3.3V rail (I guess for redundancy to protect the smd chips from any builder errors, which I've made plenty of).

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:19 am

So I think I may have found the source of the slider voltage. Measuring about 11.94V on one end of R8 and 4.11V at the other end. On the TL431, I'm measuring 3.2V on pin 1 and 4.11V on pin 3.

Anyone know how these shunt regulators work? I did some experimenting by slightly changing some of the resistor values and found that without the hardware board connected, the output voltage stays at 4.11V (reference voltage does change). With the hardware board connected, the output voltage drops and seems to change based on the value of R8. Is it all dependent on the current running through the hardware board?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”