Something New from Doc Sketchy

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

arthurdent
Veteran Wiggler

Post by arthurdent » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:25 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Moog$FooL$ wrote:uummmn..... yur doin it wrong.

that's Andy Summers dooderz!! :razz:
Ha ha.

Actually, Andy Summers will turn 77 on the last day of the year. Kinda makes ya feel old when all your rock and roll heroes are pushing 80.
Bill Wyman just turned 83 two days ago.

emmaker
Wiggling with Experience

Post by emmaker » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:14 pm

Moog$FooL$ wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:Today, 25 October 2019, is Jon Anderson's 75th birthday. Jon Anderson is one of my all-time musical heroes.

Happy Birthday, Jon Anderson!!! :band:

uummmn..... yur doin it wrong.

that's Andy Summers dooderz!! :razz:
Just saw Rick Wakeman 2 weeks ago on his Grumpy Old Rock Star tour. Fun show, didn't know he did the piano for Cat Stevens Morning Has Broken song. He's getting up there too.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:05 pm

So, this is the first of the Vocoder boards, with eight complete vocoder frequency channels -- this is the biggest board I've ever made (a full 6" x 8") and took over two hours to drill. The vocoder has two of these plus a third board with a bunch of other stuff on it. Now I need to make a big Digikey order.

For every bullshit job, you need a bullshit education -- Brian Eno

arthurdent
Veteran Wiggler

Post by arthurdent » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:53 pm

Kinda off-topic - on the bookshelf behind you are a couple of Sibley Guide books for birding. I just got into the hobby about 2 years ago, been using the Crossley Guides, wonder if you're familiar with them and how the two series compare.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:59 pm

arthurdent wrote:Kinda off-topic - on the bookshelf behind you are a couple of Sibley Guide books for birding. I just got into the hobby about 2 years ago, been using the Crossley Guides, wonder if you're familiar with them and how the two series compare.
Actually, my wife is the bird enthusiast, but I know she doesn't have those other books. My favorite birds are Messiaen's.

Incidentally, since posting that picture, I made and stuffed all the wire jumpers on that board (about 140 of them) -- it took a couple hours. Now I'm ready to stuff the other things, but I need to order some of them.

arthurdent
Veteran Wiggler

Post by arthurdent » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:57 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
arthurdent wrote:Kinda off-topic - on the bookshelf behind you are a couple of Sibley Guide books for birding. I just got into the hobby about 2 years ago, been using the Crossley Guides, wonder if you're familiar with them and how the two series compare.
Actually, my wife is the bird enthusiast, but I know she doesn't have those other books. My favorite birds are Messiaen's.
Thanks. I found copies of the Sibley books in our library system so I've ordered them. I also found a copy of Messiaen's Oiseaux Exotiques - a book with a CD - so I ordered that too.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:08 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:(Incidentally, my 55th birthday is in four days :omg: )

I also just wanted to note that there will be quite a bit of new stuff on this thread in the next couple of weeks. I'm working on a fairly crazy vocoder project for a local musician buddy, and it's going to have some fairly interesting and unconventional twists. Fully analog, of course. So stay tuned, bitches!

I'll just leave you with this little picture -- the vocoder will have one of these. Anyone care to guess what this is for? (I haven't even completed the layout file -- this is just the raw layout plan.)

Happy bday today or tomorrow!

So no one answered this?
Well of course the DG409 are multiplexors - that's quite a few of them there!
So my guess is that you're using them to switch the different bands around - eg. so the modulator envelopes affect different frequency bands (if I got the basic vocoder terminology correct)

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:04 pm

BugBrand wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:(Incidentally, my 55th birthday is in four days :omg: )

I also just wanted to note that there will be quite a bit of new stuff on this thread in the next couple of weeks. I'm working on a fairly crazy vocoder project for a local musician buddy, and it's going to have some fairly interesting and unconventional twists. Fully analog, of course. So stay tuned, bitches!

I'll just leave you with this little picture -- the vocoder will have one of these. Anyone care to guess what this is for? (I haven't even completed the layout file -- this is just the raw layout plan.)

Happy bday today or tomorrow!

So no one answered this?
Well of course the DG409 are multiplexors - that's quite a few of them there!
So my guess is that you're using them to switch the different bands around - eg. so the modulator envelopes affect different frequency bands (if I got the basic vocoder terminology correct)
You are correct, sir! I've dreamt up four different ways to route the envelope follower outputs from the voice analyzer bands to the amplifiers of the audio processor bands. I've collected all the Odd and Even voice bands (8 each) to their own PCBs, and these are going to the two different sets of four DG409s which are connected to separate Enable signals, so I can turn them on and off separately. This gives me the option to transform these four routing modes by turning off half the bands, and that will have some significant effects. I don't want to say any more about it because I don't want to give everything away before I have a chance to build and test (and video).

Incidentally, my birthday is today, and I'm 55 fuckin' years old. :doh: :bang:

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:53 pm

Happy birthday! This looks really cool... can't wait to see the finished product!

arthurdent
Veteran Wiggler

Post by arthurdent » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:26 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:Incidentally, my birthday is today, and I'm 55 fuckin' years old. :doh: :bang:
55?? You're still a goddamn kid :party: :party:

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:59 pm

The vocoder is now complete. It is a total beast, and took a while to build (two 8-band boards, another board with LP and HP bands, oscillator, preamps, and output amps, two band switching boards, and a power supply). I stuffed it all into a case that was repurposed from some piece of discarded lab equipment from school. I'm just in the last stages of troubleshooting and testing -- I found a few solder bridges, or more precisely, tiny little traces that failed to etch away, that were preventing varlous bands from functioning -- I also have some minor gain issues I need to address here and there. I should be reporting back in a day or two with pictures and hopefully some sounds.

Incidentally, I didn't use the layout shown above for the band-switching boards. That layout was unworkable, as it relied on flying wires to route the switching. I did a completely new layout with the routing done by jumpers -- the array of jumpers (the blue lines) constitute the switching "program." Here is one of the layouts (for the odd bands) -- this board is 4" x 6", and makes part of a 3-board stack:

Moog$FooL$
Broke Dick Dog

Post by Moog$FooL$ » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:58 pm

snazzy!! :tu:

are those dual sixteen pin pads for wire headers or for stacking the boards together with some king of connector??
i use to drink & smoke.
that fat cat had to go..... wasn't even mine.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:55 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:The vocoder is now complete. It is a total beast, and took a while to build (two 8-band boards, another board with LP and HP bands, oscillator, preamps, and output amps, two band switching boards, and a power supply). I stuffed it all into a case that was repurposed from some piece of discarded lab equipment from school. I'm just in the last stages of troubleshooting and testing -- I found a few solder bridges, or more precisely, tiny little traces that failed to etch away, that were preventing varlous bands from functioning -- I also have some minor gain issues I need to address here and there. I should be reporting back in a day or two with pictures and hopefully some sounds.

Incidentally, I didn't use the layout shown above for the band-switching boards. That layout was unworkable, as it relied on flying wires to route the switching. I did a completely new layout with the routing done by jumpers -- the array of jumpers (the blue lines) constitute the switching "program." Here is one of the layouts (for the odd bands) -- this board is 4" x 6", and makes part of a 3-board stack:

You should post this in the 'Vocoder thread' thread. viewtopic.php?t=224795&highlight=

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:17 am

Vocoder is done, but there are some issues. For one, it's pretty noisy -- the noise source and on-board oscillator are bleeding all over the place. I think I've got to improve the microphone pre-amps I installed. The core of the vocoder works very well, though. I'll make a few adjustments and improvements and then post something more exciting, hopefully on the weekend.

Here are a couple pix for shits and gigs, though... (note: the big board on the right is actually a stack of two similar boards (the 8-band boards), and the smaller board on the front left is a stack of three boards (the main board, on top of two switching boards). The thing behind that is the power supply (with the big caps). Not shown (because it was installed after these pictures were taken) is the massive heat sink on the back of the case, which may not have been needed....)

Moog$FooL$
Broke Dick Dog

Post by Moog$FooL$ » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:43 pm

:woah:

how do you remember what everything on the panel does?? :hmm:
i use to drink & smoke.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:21 am

Moog$FooL$ wrote::woah:

how do you remember what everything on the panel does?? :hmm:
I have it written down on the layout file. Also, the knobs are colour-coded (Blue are Voice and Audio inputs, Green are for the on-board oscillator, Yellow are for the on-board noise source, and Orange are for Voice and Audio bypass (blending into the output). The switches above the blue knobs are for selecting Mic or Line inputs, the switch above the Green knob selects triangle or pulse wave, and the switch above the yellow knob selects white or pink noise. The other three switches are logic for the switching network. The two jacks on the left are inputs, the next two are oscillator and noise output and the three on the right are L, L+R and R vocoder outputs. Easy peasy.

I'll make a proper panel eventually, but I've still got a bit of troubleshooting to do first (to eliminate noise and crosstalk amongst the various signals, probably due to the rough-n-ready preamps I installed -- the vocoder core actually works perfectly).

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:48 am

Sorry about no recent posts -- I had to set and give a final exam which I'm now marking, and then I got a particularly bad bout of pancreatitis which has had me feeling fairly low for the last few days (and it started with an absolutely delightful plate of steak and eggs at the wonderful Northern Cafe in Vancouver -- the place is fantastic, but I need to be much more careful about what and how much I eat these days -- and that wasn't the last day on which I overate -- self-control, not my strong suit). I think I'm on the mend, so hopefully I'll have something cool to report in the next few days.

I haven't touched the vocoder for several days -- now I'm laying out a Serge VCQF clone in Doc Sketchy style for a friend whose 4U kit went pear-shaped. However, that's just an amuse bouche, and I'll be back to the main course within the next day or two.

Moog$FooL$
Broke Dick Dog

Post by Moog$FooL$ » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:54 pm

i seem to recall someone warning you..... maybe even a second person!!

:mad:
i use to drink & smoke.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:49 pm

Moog$FooL$ wrote:i seem to recall someone warning you..... maybe even a second person!!

:mad:
Fuck that -- a dude's gotta live. Steak and eggs is worth a little bit of pain (plus spaghetti, and spaghetti again, and Chinese takeout).

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Something New from Doc Sketchy

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:13 pm

So, I've just nearly finished a pretty big project -- a Serge-format version of the Quadra + Expander, for a fellow wiggler. This will be part of a larger Serge-style build being coordinated by Loudest Warning. Here is what the Quadra part of the panel will look like:
QuadraSergePanel.png
Here are the boards I have laid out and made for this project. They are all 6" high x 5.9" wide. There is a Panel PCB, a Translator PCB, and a Quadra PCB. The Panel PCB has all panel components and logic circuitry for the Quadrature Mode switch, and Quadra PCB has all the circuitry for the Quadra, plus the CV circuitry from the Expander, and the Translator PCB goes inbetween and is where all the interconnections are made between the Panel board and the Quadra board. It also has all the Quadrature Mode and OR circuitry from the Expander. Laying out this monstrosity was like an exercise in 3-D Sudoku.
QuadraAllFront.jpeg
QuadraAllBack.jpeg
Here is now the boards stack up into a sandwich:
QuadraStackBottom.jpeg
QuadraStackTop.jpeg
QuadraStackEdge.jpeg
I'm waiting for the pots and banana jacks to arrive from Small Bear, and then I can send the whole mess off to Loudest Warning for final assembly. But first I have to thoroughly test it to make sure that all this shit actually works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vtl5c3
Common Wiggler

Post by vtl5c3 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:06 pm

What is this Quadra of which you speak? The panel looks like a Serge-fied Buchla 281. Nicely layout, I might add.

Revok
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Revok » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:41 pm

Nicely done! Looking forward to seeing the complete synth.

Moog$FooL$
Broke Dick Dog

Post by Moog$FooL$ » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:54 pm

MASSIVE!!!

the quadra was/is an Intelligel module.
i believe it is based on that 281.... maybe Doc can tell us.
i use to drink & smoke.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:41 pm

The Intellijel Quadra and Expander was an analog quad function generator inspired directly by the Buchla 281 which I co-designed with Danjel van Tijn. Functionally it is equivalent to the 281, except that the Quadra's quadrature mode is slightly different (and, I believe, superior).

The Quadra and Expander have been superceded by the Quadrax, which is a digital module with which I had absolutely nothing to do.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:40 am

In other news, there have been developments on the Doc Sketchy Vocoder. After I built it, I decided that it didn't work as well as I had hoped, and then I got really sick and was in and out of the hospital, blah blah blah. Anyway, I'm back at it now. I altered the circuitry for the LP and HP channels -- I realized that the AGC control circuitry for those channels was wrong, and I changed it (see the "Circuit Kludging, Ninja Level" thread).

I've also decided to add a "Freeze" function to the vocoder (to make it get stuck on a vocal formant when a footswitch is pressed, or some other gate signal is received), which I will try to build tomorrow. I'm just putting the finishing touches on the layout, and I will share all of that when it has advanced a bit more. Suffice it to say that this Freeze thing is incredibly easy to do, and because I built the big switching matrices, I already had Sends and Returns for the AGC CVs, which makes adding the Freeze function a snap. I should be able to get it all done in one day.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”