Something New from Doc Sketchy

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Something New from Doc Sketchy

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:16 pm

OK, I checked out Chitchats, and it looks as if I could have saved over $100 on my last shipping exercise. WIll definitely check them out for future shipments -- Thanks, regularjackson!
Power spent passion bespoils our soul receiver
Surely we know.

regularjackson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by regularjackson » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:52 am

Moog$FooL$ wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:19 pm
hey regular jackson man.... long time no see.

so this chitchat you speak of..... can one use it to order stuff from the states?? or is just best for sending to the USA?

d.
Unfortunately it’s only one way. I’ve heard there are similar services in the states for shipping up here, but good luck ever convincing an American to use one.

regularjackson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by regularjackson » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:53 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:16 pm
OK, I checked out Chitchats, and it looks as if I could have saved over $100 on my last shipping exercise. WIll definitely check them out for future shipments -- Thanks, regularjackson!
👍 I work for Canada post, but I still recommend it to everyone haha.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:12 am

Check it out: Freak Shift in eurorack format:
JDCPanel1.jpg
JDCPanel2.jpg
A stooge bracket will be connected to those two hex spacers, and the boards will extend straight back, so this module will be about 7" deep, but the customer (it's Dcramer) says that's OK.
Surely we know.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:17 am

:tu:

As long as that panel board is less than or equal to 4-1/4", it's Frac ready too. And those cases are deep.

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:45 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:12 am
Check it out: Freak Shift in eurorack format:
JDCPanel1.jpgJDCPanel2.jpg
A stooge bracket will be connected to those two hex spacers, and the boards will extend straight back, so this module will be about 7" deep, but the customer (it's Dcramer) says that's OK.
:love: :love: :love:
Whadda beaut!

I cut a hole in the back of my case, and in the wall behind it to make it fit! :sb:

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:59 pm

KSS wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:17 am

As long as that panel board is less than or equal to 4-1/4", it's Frac ready too. And those cases are deep.
It's 2.3" x 4.0", so yeah, Frac-ready as well.

BTW, I put those inappropriately big-ass knobs on there because, evidently, Dcramer is going to put similarly sized knobs on when he gets it. What's up with these guys and their big knobs?
Surely we know.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:05 pm

Dcramer wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:45 pm
:love: :love: :love:
Whadda beaut!

I cut a hole in the back of my case, and in the wall behind it to make it fit! :sb:
Yeah, and it was pretty fun to make as well. Making eurorack panels is a snap -- drilling them is a breeze, as long as you hold the metal down firmly. I had "helicopter blades" happen on two of the holes (where the drill bit picks up the piece and spins it around) but was able to clean them up nicely with my handy-dandy deburring tool, and no blood was shed. (This is a serious thing when drilling steel, especially stainless steel, but aluminum is pretty safe, especially if you've properly filed and smoothed the edges of the piece -- this panel is smooth as a baby's bottom.)

The whole thing will end up being about 7.5" deep.

I've got a shit-ton of work to do today, but I'm going to take a break at some point and wire up this little beastie.
Surely we know.

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:50 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:59 pm
KSS wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:17 am

It's 2.3" x 4.0", so yeah, Frac-ready as well.

BTW, I put those inappropriately big-ass knobs on there because, evidently, Dcramer is going to put similarly sized knobs on when he gets it. What's up with these guys and their big knobs?
Hey bub! Whose big ass are you calling inappropriate! :miley:

Wait’ll you all see my lurvly, licorice black, chunky Livewire Beauties on that thing! :love: H :love: U :love: B :love: B :love: A :love:

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:08 pm

Nice! EuroFREAK!

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:13 pm

Dcramer wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:45 pm
And there I was, thinking Dave Dixon's dedication was impressive.. ;)

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:41 pm

So I've mounted the 3-PCB stack onto a stooge bracket behind the euro panel, and the whole thing (from the panel back) is exactly 8" deep. I could have made the stooge bracket a little shorter, but I didn't.

I hope that's OK, Dcramer.
Surely we know.

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:46 pm

Oh yeah, drywall saw in hand, I’ll make it work
sure, I’ll be able to admire your handiwork while I’m in the next room poopin’
But it’ll sound great! 🤓

Moog$FooL$
Broke Dick Dog

Post by Moog$FooL$ » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:13 pm

Dcramer wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:46 pm
Oh yeah, drywall saw in hand, I’ll make it work
sure, I’ll be able to admire your handiwork while I’m in the next room poopin’
But it’ll sound great! 🤓
HA!! :hihi: i think that's one of the funniest things i've come across on this forum in a long while.
i use to drink & smoke.
that fat cat had to go..... wasn't even mine.

wackelpeter
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wackelpeter » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:31 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:05 pm
I had "helicopter blades" happen on two of the holes (where the drill bit picks up the piece and spins it around) but was able to clean them up nicely with my handy-dandy deburring tool, and no blood was shed.
Happens to me too sometimes, but only when i'm too lazy to drill the holes for rack mounting at last, because otherwise one can use them to fix the frontplate on a wooden block with 2 or 4 screws, so that this won't happen... especially it'S fine as they can't fly into any open case, which maybe is still powered on. Also it's much more finger friendly if the panel is a bit thicker and a lot of holes are to drill in which case the panel turns into a alternate cooking plate for your fingers due to heat dissipation from the drilling process, which then also leds to let you grab this plate not as strong as it should be to avoid sudden helicopter behaviour. :)

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:18 pm

Hey wackelpeter, that's a great idea that I had never thought of before -- just drill the mounting holes first and screw the damn thing down to the wood. Why didn't I think of that? I'm gonna do that next time I make a panel fer sherr.

Also, I got the module all wired up lastnight -- I sat in my easy chair and did it while listening to the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra playing Messiaen's Turangalila-Symphonie on YouTube. I finished just a few minutes shy of 2:00 am. Here's my handiwork -- I think it came out decently:
EuroFSWired.jpg
As you can see, I could have made the stooge bracket nearly an inch shorter. Indeed, Dcramer, if you want to make it shorter, all you have to do is take it apart, cut a chunk off the end of the stooge bracket, and redrill the mounting holes. You can cut this thin aluminum easily with a paper guillotine (that's how I do it) and drill the holes with a 1/8" or 5/32" drillbit.
Surely we know.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:17 pm

Grab a big bolt and some washers. Put it through one of the drill press table slots. Sticking upwards. Use fender washers and a nut or wingnut.

In use just be sure your panel is against this bolt. Actually against the fender washers. You can still slide the panel all around. Maybe having to move the bolt once if the panel is high aspect ratio. The length of the bolt sticking up means if it does lift, it's still against the bolt and can't spin.

Or clamp a block of wood to the table instead of the bolt. Not as a fence. Only as a non-rotation stop.

In truth, most of the time I just use a pair of vise-grip style clamps. They quickly position wherever needed and bridge the cast iron ribbed underside of most drill press tables and their smooth round clamp pad is about 5/32 thick so it easily supports and stops the panel from spinning. <--NOT clamping the panel to the table! That would be a PITA.

The only issue with this choice is if the panel does get grabbed by the bit and lifted, then it can lift above the clamp arm and spin. But that really doesn't happen with aluminum if you're using the right bits and a little care and experience.
-------------
When using a backing support block:
Depending on the size of the backup board, a clamp stop like this can still be useful*. Or make the backup board long and the drill press column itself is the rotational stop.
------------
*These rotational 'pin' stops can also make it faster to locate the drill bit. Speeds up drilling a series of holes. Much like an old-school sign painter uses the long stick to effect a controlled lever movement in otherwise free space.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:40 pm

What I've learned to do is just very gently kiss the drill bit to the hole with feather-light strokes, once it is getting near the end. It's generally at the end of drilling the hole that the bit wants to grab and spin the piece.
Surely we know.

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:11 pm

:cloud: :love: :cloud: :love: :cloud: Looks great Doc!
I think stretching the boards in a stack at the back is a good way to keep the front panel to a decent Euro size while still ensuring that it has all the squishy-chewy-drippy analog goodness that can only come from having thousands of teeny tiny parts picked, licked, and squeezed into place by a cranky old guy in sweats sitting in a mid-eighties easy chair yelling at the YouTubes. :lol:
It’s this kinda dedication from Sketchy Labs that ensures I’ll find fame and fortune by the quadrature, get all the girls, be comfortable wearing ‘slacks’ and have limos tossed at me everywhere I go! :hail:
:hihi: All while those poor bastards with only digital ‘emulations’ will get paper cuts, suffer the bends and stigmata and get laughed out of the Rocking-Rolling-Roller-Rink

Bravo :foul:
Can’t wait to fiddle with it

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:52 pm

Hello Dcramer and others,

I thought I'd let you know that I'm working on a truly euro-friendly version of Freak Shift. This one should only extend about 6 cm behind the panel, because I'm changing my layouts to make the three boards only 4.3" long (which is the 110mm specified by Doepfer as the standard PCB length in eurorack). Here is my first effort in this regard: the 18-stage Dome filter, reduced from 5.6" to 4.3". This involved moving the capacitors out to the edges of the board and changing the trace layouts to accommodate everything being squished together. The key to the whole thing was moving one of the 30k resistors in each stage out by 0.1" to create a pathway for the non-inverting input trace to reach the capacitor. Having the capacitors out on the edge like that means that I no longer need to supply extra space for those phat 105 film caps. The only big issue is that I have moved that 3-pin header, and it is a plug from another board, so that will complicate matters somewhat. The 12-stage Dome filter is already pretty compact, and will be even more so when I do this same squeezing exercise on it. That will free up quite a bit of board real estate to which I can move some of the multiplier and output amp circuitry.

I'm not entirely sure whether this new layout will work or not, and I'm also thinking through different ways to wire it to the panel so that the wires and headers don't poke out into the domains of the modules on the left and right. I'll keep y'all apprised of my progress.
TinyPDN.png
Surely we know.

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:32 pm

It arrived today and I made some much needed improvements!
Spot the difference :woah:

4439A05D-80CD-46DC-83CC-FAE4E3911B39.jpeg
Good to hear you’re working on Euro size, It sounds killer! No bleed when shifting and lovely swooshy phasing.
I’ve been experimenting with copious amounts of feedback, even when patching high freqs into mod, and once you get everything beating nicely it does the craziest stuff from subtle phasing (added to freq shift) all the way to metallic drones with chaotic harmonic jumps! :omg:

wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:41 pm

does cutting oil on the panel/bit help stop the helicopter effect? i havent tried it - but the helicopter thing was a little startling last week when it happened to me :P

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:43 pm

wuff_miggler wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:41 pm
does cutting oil on the panel/bit help stop the helicopter effect? i havent tried it - but the helicopter thing was a little startling last week when it happened to me :P
Not really. The best way to stop sheet metal from spinning is to clamp it to a bench. If you don't have a clamp you can use a vice grip. You can use pieces of plastic or wood to prevent damage to the sheet metal.

wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:00 pm

good to note thanks dubonaire :-)

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:31 am

Note that you don't have to drill the panel mounting holes first to use the wooden back up method. Just use panhead sheetmetal screws over the ends and edges. Two are enough if you get the correct corners.

The single biggest reason for helicoptering is dull bits and improper bits for thin sheet metal. Candle wax or paraffin <--In BOTH the British and American meanings- *can* help too. Improper feeds and speeds is second biggest reason for catching at bit exit, which is what leads to helicoptering.

Of course both of these fall below the REAL biggest reason which is poorly supported-affixed material in the first place.

Use a step drill when you can; it's made for sheet metal drilling. And DO -always- employ at least *one* of the methods described in this thread to keep yourself seafe from spinning corners and slicing edges.
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”