Something New from Doc Sketchy

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Something New from Doc Sketchy

Post by devinw1 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:11 pm

For hand drilling thin material, in my experience, I am with KSS: UniBits are the way to go! (Step drills). Not only do they not tend to grab, but you can just kiss the start of the next step and it adds a little chamfer deburr.

Kevin Mitchell
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kevin Mitchell » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:29 pm

Reading about the helicoptering here has brought back some bad shop class memories :ripbanana:

Anyways, I listened to the demo a while ago. And I need this now. I thought the Bi-Phase was the pinnacle for me but I guess not lol. So thank you!
Fantastic work.

drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:14 am

Wow the frequency shifter looks really nice. Any demos of it ?

Nvm it's probably in the thread but for ppl who can't find it or who dont want to scroll every page
WTB: The Harvestman Hertz Donut MkII, Mimeophon, WMD SSF DPLR, SSF Vortices, Quadrax, Frap tools 321, MI Warps

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:34 am

Hey peeps,

Just a quick note to inform you that I will be finishing the new Euro-friendly Freak Shift later today. The entire module will stick out a little less than 3" from the back of the panel. I still have to cook a new panel and make a stooge bracket, but the latter is just a sheet of aluminum the same size as the PCBs (2" x 4.3") which the PCBs are mounted to at the corners, but which mounts to the panel PCB at three other holes. Also, since all the connector pins on the panel PCB go up the middle, I will route out an oval channel in the middle of the stooge bracket for the wires to go through, then they will bend to either side, depending on which side they connect to on the PCBs. It should all be pretty neat and compact. Hopefully I'll have some pictures here before I go to bed tonight.
Power spent passion bespoils our soul receiver
Surely we know.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:36 am

Dcramer wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:32 pm
It arrived today and I made some much needed improvements!
Spot the difference :woah:

4439A05D-80CD-46DC-83CC-FAE4E3911B39.jpeg

Good to hear you’re working on Euro size, It sounds killer! No bleed when shifting and lovely swooshy phasing.
I’ve been experimenting with copious amounts of feedback, even when patching high freqs into mod, and once you get everything beating nicely it does the craziest stuff from subtle phasing (added to freq shift) all the way to metallic drones with chaotic harmonic jumps! :omg:
Hey Dcramer, two questions:
1) Did it actually fit in your rack?
2) Are you going to post a video demo?
Surely we know.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 am

Also, about drilling. I use A9 (the green aluminum cutting oil) and that helps a lot. I also use titanium bits on aluminum, so sharp bits aren't the problem. It's when you get to the bottom of the hole and you are pushing on a thin remnant of the metal that the bit wants to grab.

I like the idea of using a step drill. I don't have one at the moment, but I should get one. The reason they don't grab is because they penetrate the metal at the smallest size, and after that you aren't really drilling, but just reaming to larger sizes. It would also be convenient because I wouldn't need to change bits to drill different sized holes. However, it would also be easier to screw up by drilling a hole too big. :hmm:
Surely we know.

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:11 pm

Hey Doc, yup it fits, of course when you look along the back of my rack it’s the only one sticking out!
Yes, I’ll get a video done, I’m actually several videos behind, so it may take awhile.
I’ve done all kinds of experiments with it, being able to put anything into it makes it so creative 👍🤓

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:04 pm

Dcramer wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:11 pm
Hey Doc, yup it fits, of course when you look along the back of my rack it’s the only one sticking out!
Yes, I’ll get a video done, I’m actually several videos behind, so it may take awhile.
I’ve done all kinds of experiments with it, being able to put anything into it makes it so creative 👍🤓
Well, I wouldn't mind just something "quick and dirty" with some of your experiments, not necessarily your usual masterpiece. I'm just really curious to see how a "real" modular musician uses this thing. (If you've seen any of my videos, then you'll know just exactly how low my standards really are.)
Surely we know.

McIntosh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by McIntosh » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:25 am

This new version just fits my case :banana:
You really are an inspiration to the the synth community!
:guinness:
This world of abundance

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:13 pm

Well, that's mighty nice of you to say so, McIntosh!

If you want one (a new 3" deep one) please PM me. I have one available now, but you are in a race with drowld for it, I think. Of course, I can always make another one, but I might have to buy some new film capacitors for the Dome filters, because my inventory is getting very spotty.
Surely we know.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:01 am

Well, McIntosh won the race.

Here are some pictures of the finished module. It's just a hair over 3" deep from the panel to the tops of the electrolytic caps on the top board. The panel is 12HP, so 2.4" wide, and the PCBs are only 2" wide, but the wires stick out to about 4" wide. I'm going to try to get some different connectors that will put the wires straight down rather than straight out, but I might not find anything. Of course, the wires could be soldered directly to the PCBs, but this would make the module very difficult to take apart and service. As long as it's sitting next to more conventional eurorack modules, it should be OK. Also, my panels are a little bit rough -- they are functional, but certainly won't be winning any beauty contests.

I'm selling these for $300 US plus shipping ($30 to the US or Canada, and $50 internationally, for shipping with tracking). Send me a PM with your email address and location if you are interested.
EuroFSFront.jpeg
EuroFSSide.jpeg
Surely we know.

McIntosh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by McIntosh » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:37 am

:guinness: :banana: :guinness: :loves: :guinness:
This world of abundance

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:44 am

Hey - it looks great in 3U too. Lovely old-fashioned synthesizer module!
:love: :yay: :love: :yay: :love:

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:34 pm

Just a quick word about the panels. For some reason, I'm having a really hard time making the panels for this module. I made three the other day, and ended up scrapping all of them because one ended up with ugly spots all over it (indicating that there may have been a sticky residue on the metal, which I didn't clean with acetone after peeling off the protective sticker), and the other two had very bubbly graphics (an indication that I didn't apply enough preheat to the Lazertran before transferring it, even though I was starting to burn the backing paper with my heat gun).

I always expect the odd bubble here and there on baked-on Lazertran panels -- it is largely unavoidable -- but not to the extent I'm getting now. The only "cure" I'm aware of is more intense preheating of the Lazertran under a heat gun, but I'm already doing what feels like an extreme amount, and if I do too much it wrecks the plastic sheet.

I made three more panels yesterday, which I'm keeping, but the graphics are still pretty bubbly. I can fix most of it with a fine-tipped Sharpie pen, but these panels do not bear close scrutiny. I'd like to just order some panels from FPE and be done with it, but I haven't done that yet.

If I do, then I might send all my customers better panels for free later on.

EDIT: Nevermind. These panels would cost more than $80 apiece, even with the bulk discount, from FPE, so we're just going to have to live with baked-on Lazertran, with all of its imperfections. I have a buddy who can do panel silkscreening. Maybe I'll ask him about making a few of these for me.
Last edited by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch on Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surely we know.

Th°ne
Common Wiggler

Post by Th°ne » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:41 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:13 pm
Of course, I can always make another one, but I might have to buy some new film capacitors for the Dome filters, because my inventory is getting very spotty.
Hello Doc.

Just to tell you i'm about to ask you for another stuffed/tested PCB in 4U (if possible ?), i hope this might help filling another caps order ?

Cheers !

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:46 pm

Th°ne wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:41 pm
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:13 pm
Of course, I can always make another one, but I might have to buy some new film capacitors for the Dome filters, because my inventory is getting very spotty.
Hello Doc.

Just to tell you i'm about to ask you for another stuffed/tested PCB in 4U (if possible ?), i hope this might help filling another caps order ?

Cheers !
I'm going to order the caps anyway, because I need them. I'll probably do that later today.
Surely we know.

Th°ne
Common Wiggler

Post by Th°ne » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:49 pm

Great news !
I'll PM you within the end of the week.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:47 am

Hey bitches,

Tonight, I figured out how to completely eliminate all the wiring from the euro Freak Shift! I was able to just shift some stuff around on the PCBs (they didn't have to be any larger) and I will shift the order of the bottom two PCBs so that most of the panel connections are on the bottom PCB. All the other connections will pass through the middle PCB with pins and sockets. I will replace the aluminum stooge plate with a Translator PCB to convert all of the various pin connections from the bottom PCB to the pin connections on the Panel PCB. Because this new PCB will require very little clearance, the module will also be slightly less deep -- I'm trying to get it down to 70mm so it will fit most cases. I think I might succeed!

I still have a bit of work to do and it's nearly 1:00 AM and I gotta go to bed, so I can't finish tonight, but I'll report back tomorrow sometime when I've had a chance to completely finish the new design. Maybe I'll post some graphics to demonstrate the new layout.

Also, I'm going to try to get some panels silkscreen-printed so that they look better than the Lazertran ones I've made. I'll keep y'all posted on that front as well.
Surely we know.

Moog$FooL$
Broke Dick Dog

Post by Moog$FooL$ » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:47 pm

so...... which version would this be?? :coffee-machine: :coffee-machine: :coffee-machine:
i use to drink & smoke.
that fat cat had to go..... wasn't even mine.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:49 pm

Moog$FooL$ wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:47 pm
so...... which version would this be?? :coffee-machine: :coffee-machine: :coffee-machine:
The last one.
Surely we know.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:51 pm

So, here's the deal with the panels: My buddy will help me silkscreen some, but it's going to be at least two weeks before that can happen. He is a professional silkscreen artist, so I know they will come out beautifully. He's also going to help me get set up so I can do my own, so that will be cool.

If anyone wants to order the latest and greatest Euro Freak Shift, you can, and I will build the guts and just have them sitting around waiting for the panels. For now, I'll keep the price at $300 US plus shipping ($30 US to US/Canada, $50 US internationally)

I'll be finishing the first "new" no-wires-necessary euro module tonight (I'm 75% done with it now), and I will put a crummy Lazertran panel on it and take some pictures and maybe even make a short video.
Surely we know.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:01 pm

Well, I have finished the first "proper" eurorack Freak Shift. Here are some pictures. This is the same crappy panel as the last one. As I mentioned earlier, it's going to be at least two weeks (and probably three) before I can get any silkscreen panels made.

Also, note that this module is almost 80mm from the back of the panel to the tops of the electrolytic caps on the top PCB. Hence, it is probably still a little too deep to fit into some eurorack cases. There's nothing I can do about that, since, the PCB spacing is more or less fixed by the height of the sockets, as you can see in the pix.
EuroFSFront.jpeg
EuroFSBack.jpeg
EuroFSTop.jpeg
EuroFSBottom.jpg
EuroFSBottom.jpg (81.98 KiB) Viewed 133 times
EuroFSLeft.jpeg
EuroFSRight.jpeg
Surely we know.

synthpriest
Common Wiggler