Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

ryk
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by ryk » Sun May 03, 2020 4:35 pm

woodster wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:07 am
Hey Ryk, Issue wasn't during the soldering process.
What happened to me was that I'd soldered everything in, and was turning the PCB over to go onto install the LED's and one of the slider switches was all wonky, as I say it was already soldered in place, and flush with the PCB.
The thing is, the tops of the slide switches are only held onto the base with a few tiny folds of metal.
I have a soldering mat on my desk to protect it, it's a bit grippy, so a bit of sideways motion was enough to easily unseat the top from the base.
I put it back straight and it works fine, just a heart jumping out of mouth moment.
Phew !

Glad I everything is ok.

ryk
https://instagram.com/ryk_modular/

LSuveg1
Common Wiggler

Post by LSuveg1 » Mon May 04, 2020 10:31 am

Hi Ryk,

Are you planning to offer the euro kit for the foreseeable future, or is this a "limited edition" affair? It's an exciting project, but I'm not sure whether to pull the trigger when kits are available tomorrow, or whenever the next batch is released.

Thanks!
Lukas

ryk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ryk » Mon May 04, 2020 3:30 pm

LSuveg1 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:31 am
Hi Ryk,

Are you planning to offer the euro kit for the foreseeable future, or is this a "limited edition" affair? It's an exciting project, but I'm not sure whether to pull the trigger when kits are available tomorrow, or whenever the next batch is released.

Thanks!
Lukas

Hello

Hopefully I will be able to offer the kits for a while, don’t worry it’s not going to be a limited run.

Only if and when I can go back to work there might be some delays in the kits being available, ( M185 is not my day job )

ryk

a_guy_called_tom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by a_guy_called_tom » Sun May 10, 2020 3:54 pm

Its alive and kickin! Building it was fairly easy and the build manual is excellent.
m185.jpg
I'm not quite sure i fully understand all of the functions and combination of modes, will have to experiment some more . Thanks RYK! :sb:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Sun May 10, 2020 6:21 pm

a_guy_called_tom wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 3:54 pm
Its alive and kickin! Building it was fairly easy and the build manual is excellent.

m185.jpg

I'm not quite sure i fully understand all of the functions and combination of modes, will have to experiment some more . Thanks RYK! :sb:
Hey Tom! I recognized you by the polaron pic :)

Im gointg to build a couple of this and your polaron some tine in the next weeks ;)

ryk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ryk » Mon May 11, 2020 3:03 am

a_guy_called_tom wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 3:54 pm

m185.jpg

Hello

Looks nice on the rack !

Thanks for the comments.
If you have any questions about functions, please ask.

RYK

odmundeetgen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by odmundeetgen » Mon May 11, 2020 5:57 am

Was super excited when the postman dropped of my kit this morning, only to find one of the PCBs was missing! Oh well, have emailed and hopefully will be able to get one sent soon. In the mean time I'll just be eying the components and build guide forlornly – the panel is beautiful!

megarat
Common Wiggler

Post by megarat » Mon May 11, 2020 11:50 am

Is there any documentation available for this version of the M-185? I already have an Intellijel Metropolis, which I love to bits, and I would like to see what the differences are between them.

a_guy_called_tom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by a_guy_called_tom » Mon May 11, 2020 2:17 pm

djthopa wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:21 pm

Hey Tom! I recognized you by the polaron pic :)

Im gointg to build a couple of this and your polaron some tine in the next weeks ;)
Hey Jose, good to see you here! Its a nice combo, the M-185 clock output works nicely with the polarons trigger input. Let me know how the Polaron build goes for you!
ryk wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:03 am
Hello

Looks nice on the rack !

Thanks for the comments.
If you have any questions about functions, please ask.

RYK
Ok, here we go:
- Are any of the Menu Settings persisted when the module is powered off/on?
- I'm a bit confused about the Fixed Sequence Length function: Does it work when in AB mode? I guess not, since in AB mode the stages control button defines the last step of B and not the overall length of the sequence. But if so, does the fixed sequence length setting make any difference to 'forward' when AB mode is used? I'd love to be able to use it, eg. play A 3 times, B 3 times but still reset to stage 0 after e.g 32 clock pulses
- In the manual it says about the A+B CV offset function: "is is useful when creating a looped pattern in Sequence A,
and using a slower pattern in Sequence B to change the key of Sequence A.": Is it possible to use different clock divisions for A and B ? Or how would i have a slower pattern B?
- I have some other behavior i cant quite explain: Power module on. All stages set to 1, all Gates to multiple Gates, Mode set to Fixed Sequence Length, and Split Mode to A. Stage Control is at 4. Now when i start, the sequence plays until step 6 then jumps to the first step and rests there until it starts again after 16 clocks. Why does it only play until step 6 and not until step 8 before it jumps back to 1?

Thanks!

ryk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ryk » Mon May 11, 2020 2:17 pm

odmundeetgen wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:57 am
Was super excited when the postman dropped of my kit this morning, only to find one of the PCBs was missing! Oh well, have emailed and hopefully will be able to get one sent soon. In the mean time I'll just be eying the components and build guide forlornly – the panel is beautiful!
Hello

Very sorry about that.
A few packages seem to have gone out without the smaller PCB.

The packaging dept [me] has been repremanded ! :doh:

ryk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ryk » Mon May 11, 2020 2:40 pm

a_guy_called_tom wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:17 pm
Ok, here we go:
Hello

Here are some answers to your questions:

- Are any of the Menu Settings persisted when the module is powered off/on?

Yes all menu settings, AB settings, glide settings etc, are saved to eeprom. [ even the CH2 alt CVs ]

- I'm a bit confused about the Fixed Sequence Length function: Does it work when in AB mode? I guess not, since in AB mode the stages control button defines the last step of B and not the overall length of the sequence.

Yes & No.
Depends which split AB mode you are using.
If serial AB mode then no the fixed-length does not work, as the loop points are defined by the split point, and the MAX stages.
If in parralel AB mode, then sequence A can be fixed length.

But if so, does the fixed sequence length setting make any difference to 'forward' when AB mode is used? I'd love to be able to use it, eg. play A 3 times, B 3 times but still reset to stage 0 after e.g 32 clock pulses

It could do. New software implementation is certainly possible.
You mean 32 clock pulses for the total sequence [ A-loops + B-loops ] or 32 clock pulses for each loop ?

- In the manual it says about the A+B CV offset function: "is is useful when creating a looped pattern in Sequence A,
and using a slower pattern in Sequence B to change the key of Sequence A.": Is it possible to use different clock divisions for A and B ? Or how would i have a slower pattern B?

Yes. Although it's implementation is actually stage length multiplication. So the stages can last 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 times longer than the stage length setting.
The multiplication is set by the B loops value [ on switch setting ### for the AB split points ] Sorry it is not very intuitive.

- I have some other behavior i cant quite explain: Power module on. All stages set to 1, all Gates to multiple Gates, Mode set to Fixed Sequence Length, and Split Mode to A. Stage Control is at 4. Now when i start, the sequence plays until step 6 then jumps to the first step and rests there until it starts again after 16 clocks. Why does it only play until step 6 and not until step 8 before it jumps back to 1?

Oh dear !
That would be a bug ! :doh:
We rather rushed out a new version of the software with quite a few new tweaks, but forgot to check the Fixed Length mode.
Sorry I'll look into that, and send out a firmware update.

Thanks

ryk

ryk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ryk » Mon May 11, 2020 2:47 pm

megarat wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:50 am
Is there any documentation available for this version of the M-185? I already have an Intellijel Metropolis, which I love to bits, and I would like to see what the differences are between them.
Hello

The big difference to the Metro [ in core functions ] is the M185 has 8 gate modes, instead of 4.

This allows for beat subdiv per stage for the repeat note gate mode.
So one stage could play 16ths, another stage could play 1/4notes etc.
There is also a programmable beat pattern gate mode, useful if you don’t want the note to play on the first beat of a stage.

The other major difference is the M185 sequence can be split into two [ A/B split mode]
This can be either serial split [ 5 repeats A seq, 3 repeats B seq etc ]
Or it can be parallel split [ two separate simultanious sequences ]

There is also a 2nd channel of CV & Gate, which is used for the parallel split mode, and also as an alt CV for normal mode.
Finally the M185 has MIDI ! So you can sequence your DX7, Juno106 etc or sync easily to modern drum machines or DAW.

[ plus there is a two player video game, but no-ones seems interested in that ]

The user manual is available to download from the webshop
https://rykmodular.bigcartel.com/

Sorry I haven’t posted many videos yet, I will try and get round to that.

ryk

megarat
Common Wiggler

Post by megarat » Mon May 11, 2020 3:15 pm

Great, thanks for pointing me to the manual, I've downloaded a copy and I'll give it a read.

Southfork
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Southfork » Mon May 11, 2020 5:24 pm

Built mine today, fairly straight forward, my kit gained a resistor but was missing an led! luckily the bi-colour leds from mutable builds are the same. One question, how accurate is the calibration procedure and the cv output? With the calibration procedure I managed to get within a couple decimal points of the required values across the full range. Is this normal or should it be more accurate?

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Mon May 11, 2020 10:42 pm

Ryk, Any way to access the PDF's wihout dropbox and sign in?

Tried to right click for PDFs at your site and nogo.

smiler
Learning to Wiggle

Post by smiler » Tue May 12, 2020 12:56 am

KSS wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:42 pm
Ryk, Any way to access the PDF's wihout dropbox and sign in?
They are on dropbox but I don't need to sign in to download them. There's a download button next to the sign in button that works. Swapping out

Code: Select all

?dl=0
for

Code: Select all

?dl=1
in the URL (e.g. https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0rfr1f72z5u6 ... 4.pdf?dl=1) also works.

ryk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ryk » Tue May 12, 2020 1:41 am

Southfork wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:24 pm
Built mine today, fairly straight forward, my kit gained a resistor but was missing an led! luckily the bi-colour leds from mutable builds are the same. One question, how accurate is the calibration procedure and the cv output? With the calibration procedure I managed to get within a couple decimal points of the required values across the full range. Is this normal or should it be more accurate?
Hello

Sorry about the LED !
It seems not a good week for me.
I can send a replacement to replace your replacement.

For the calibration it should be possible to get acurate to 2 decimal places, which should be good enough for most analogue VCOs.

ryk

Southfork
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Southfork » Tue May 12, 2020 1:48 am

No problem Ryk just double checking, I have plenty of leds! Great work, I was testing it last night and is really fun, the split and cv add functions really give this plenty more flavour to my metropolis :)

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Tue May 12, 2020 2:03 am

Thank you smiler!

odmundeetgen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by odmundeetgen » Tue May 12, 2020 9:28 am

ryk wrote:
odmundeetgen wrote:
Hello

Very sorry about that.

Already got the replacement, cheers for that!

I've got everything built and it (i thought) calibrated correctly – however I've got an issue where if I have the Gate Mode set to Off on voice 5 the sequence stops, the LED turns green and stays stuck on step one. I feel like this is probably caused by a short somewhere but after scouring all morning I can't see any dodgy soldering. I don't suppose you'd have a suggestion on where to look? From what i can tell the switch itself is soldered well and no jumps

thanks for such an awesome module!

ryk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ryk » Tue May 12, 2020 10:08 am

odmundeetgen wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:28 am
ryk wrote:
odmundeetgen wrote:
Hello

Very sorry about that.

I've got everything built and it (i thought) calibrated correctly – however I've got an issue where if I have the Gate Mode set to Off on voice 5 the sequence stops, the LED turns green and stays stuck on step one. I feel like this is probably caused by a short somewhere but after scouring all morning I can't see any dodgy soldering. I don't suppose you'd have a suggestion on where to look? From what i can tell the switch itself is soldered well and no jumps

Hello

When it locks up with green LED at stage 1, can you move the LED with the NEXT and PREV buttons ?

If so, it sounds like there might be a short between SW-B3 [ Gate mode for stage 5 ] and the Split_Mode select switch line [ highlighted ]. This would cause the Seq to jump into SPLIT programming mode [ ### ].
Please check carefully around the area circled in the picture. [ Which is the underside of board, bottom row of 8way switches, 5th in from RHS when viewd underneath ]

ryk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Tue May 12, 2020 8:15 pm

Hi Ryk,
Im building a couple of these tomorrow.
Just to be clear r15 left leg goes into d1 right leg right?
Bom and pcb build have same text but different drawings.
Cheers

ryk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ryk » Wed May 13, 2020 12:55 am

djthopa wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:15 pm
Hi Ryk,
Im building a couple of these tomorrow.
Just to be clear r15 left leg goes into d1 right leg right?
Bom and pcb build have same text but different drawings.
Cheers
Hello

Yes R15 left leg goes into D1 right leg
Thanks for pointing that out. I have now corrected the BOM document.

PS The next batch of kits has an updated PCB whith this fixed.

ryk

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed May 13, 2020 3:09 am

Based on PCB photo just shared, and since you're doing a PCB re-spin.
Ryk, might want to move the RefDes from under the installed components? Not going to be much use in a future inspection-repair if they can't be seen.

odmundeetgen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by odmundeetgen » Wed May 13, 2020 5:06 am

ryk wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:08 am
odmundeetgen wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:28 am
ryk wrote:
odmundeetgen wrote:
Hello

Very sorry about that.

Hello

When it locks up with green LED at stage 1, can you move the LED with the NEXT and PREV buttons ?

If so, it sounds like there might be a short between SW-B3 [ Gate mode for stage 5 ] and the Split_Mode select switch line [ highlighted ]. This would cause the Seq to jump into SPLIT programming mode [ ### ].
Please check carefully around the area circled in the picture. [ Which is the underside of board, bottom row of 8way switches, 5th in from RHS when viewd underneath ]

ryk

Thanks for your help! I went over every solder point and got it working, really really enjoying

Return to “Music Tech DIY”