Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Post Reply
User avatar
knobs-strings
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:08 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by knobs-strings » Wed May 27, 2020 6:16 pm

Maybe a dumb question... Is there a "reset in" when using it with an external clock...? There is one on my Metroplis that I always use to sync it with my René. Would love to use this one with the other two in sync...

User avatar
ryk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 3:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by ryk » Thu May 28, 2020 5:44 am

knobs-strings wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:16 pm
Maybe a dumb question... Is there a "reset in" when using it with an external clock...? There is one on my Metroplis that I always use to sync it with my René. Would love to use this one with the other two in sync...
Hello

The next firmware update has an option to use the MIDI in socket as a Reset Input.

In the meantime.
Can I ask what sequence length your Rene is set too ?
If it doesnt change, why not use the Fixed Mode [ ->I ] on the M185, then it will 'reset'
automatically after the desired amount of clock pulses.

Of course this is not usefull if you are usings constantly changing seq lengths from the Rene.

PS nice tunes !

Cheers
ryk
...................................................
https://instagram.com/ryk_modular/

User avatar
NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1207
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:42 am

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by NS4W » Thu May 28, 2020 12:32 pm

Could somebody pls post the BOM? Dead dropbox-link on the documentation page atm.

User avatar
ryk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 3:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by ryk » Thu May 28, 2020 12:39 pm

NS4W wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:32 pm
Could somebody pls post the BOM? Dead dropbox-link on the documentation page atm.
Hello

Sorry, I was doing some site maintenance.

All the docs should be back up now.
The document labelling and versioning is now more ralionalised acording to PCB versions.

ryk
...................................................
https://instagram.com/ryk_modular/

User avatar
NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1207
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:42 am

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by NS4W » Thu May 28, 2020 12:40 pm

ryk wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:39 pm
NS4W wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:32 pm
Could somebody pls post the BOM? Dead dropbox-link on the documentation page atm.
Hello

Sorry, I was doing some site maintenance.

All the docs should be back up now.
The document labelling and versioning is now more ralionalised acording to PCB versions.

ryk

Great - thanks! :party:

User avatar
knobs-strings
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:08 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by knobs-strings » Thu May 28, 2020 1:17 pm

ryk wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:44 am
knobs-strings wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:16 pm
Maybe a dumb question... Is there a "reset in" when using it with an external clock...? There is one on my Metroplis that I always use to sync it with my René. Would love to use this one with the other two in sync...
Hello

The next firmware update has an option to use the MIDI in socket as a Reset Input.

In the meantime.
Can I ask what sequence length your Rene is set too ?
If it doesnt change, why not use the Fixed Mode [ ->I ] on the M185, then it will 'reset'
automatically after the desired amount of clock pulses.

Of course this is not usefull if you are usings constantly changing seq lengths from the Rene.

PS nice tunes !

Cheers
ryk
Hi there,

thanks for your reply. I am still experimenting with all those lovely sequencers, so there is no exact way how I sync my René with the metropolis. It's always a little different. Sometimes I alter the length of a sequence on one of them and its nice to know that they will be perfectly in sync again, when I want them to... I just think a dedicated "reset in" is good to have, but if that is coming in a future update thats all I needed to hear. ;-) Guess will order one of those lovely kits then.

PS: Thanks for the follow and glad to hear that you dig my stuff. :-)

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2442
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:28 am

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by KSS » Thu May 28, 2020 3:21 pm

hah! We asked RYK for a reset input Jack on the original M185 too!

User avatar
ryk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 3:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by ryk » Fri May 29, 2020 4:27 am

KSS wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:21 pm
hah! We asked RYK for a reset input Jack on the original M185 too!
Sorry, gotta move with the times . . . eventually

ryk
...................................................
https://instagram.com/ryk_modular/

smiler
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:47 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by smiler » Fri May 29, 2020 4:40 am

ryk wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:41 pm
smiler wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:18 am
Got mine up and running in an evening! The build documentation is really nice.

Question for ryk if one might be so cheeky and ask. Where do you source the black pot and jack nuts? I'd love to buy a ton of them.
Hello

Thanks, glad the build went ok.

I designed the jack-nuts and had them made in China, also the pot-nuts [ no design needed ]
The jack-nuts are similar to Bananuts, but I made the diameter smaller, I find the Bananuts a big too fat

ryk
Well that's a bit of a bummer and also really cool! Going a bit off topic here but I guess you don't want to sell a pack of 100 pot-nuts for a reasonable price? Even better, if you're into custom design of these parts I think a lot of people would pay for round black pot-nuts in the same style as the jack nuts (like https://www.conrad.com/p/okw-a6207009-r ... pcs-717780 but in black).

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2442
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:28 am

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by KSS » Fri May 29, 2020 4:57 am

smiler wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:40 am
if you're into custom design of these parts I think a lot of people would pay for round black pot-nuts in the same style as the jack nuts (like https://www.conrad.com/p/okw-a6207009-r ... pcs-717780 but in black).
:agree: Think of all the Serge -and Euro users with Davies 1900 knobs.. Definite opportunity for the first one to get these on the market.

User avatar
ryk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 3:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by ryk » Fri May 29, 2020 6:08 am

smiler wrote: Well that's a bit of a bummer and also really cool! Going a bit off topic here but I guess you don't want to sell a pack of 100 pot-nuts for a reasonable price? Even better, if you're into custom design of these parts I think a lot of people would pay for round black pot-nuts in the same style as the jack nuts (like https://www.conrad.com/p/okw-a6207009-r ... pcs-717780 but in black).
[/quote
KSS wrote: :agree: Think of all the Serge -and Euro users with Davies 1900 knobs.. Definite opportunity for the first one to get these on the market.
Hello

Not a bummer, but quite painful with the current shipping times and shipping prices from China.
I am are currently been waiting 3 weeks for a Fedex from China that is slowly limping across Europe at the moment.

Waiting for another batch at the moment, I'll let you know about a bag.

RE: M7 Slotted nuts, sounds nice. But is there a tool for tightening those ?

ryk
...................................................
https://instagram.com/ryk_modular/

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2442
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:28 am

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by KSS » Fri May 29, 2020 6:23 am

ryk wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:08 am
RE: M7 Slotted nuts, sounds nice. But is there a tool for tightening those ?
ryk
Yes. If you click on the datasheets at the link, one is a full catalog of the nut mfrs lineup. Near the end there is a T-handle tube tool. They sell the nuts in M7,M10 and 3/8-32. Didn't bother to see if they offered three T-tools.

Because it's too easy to bend one from hobby-craft store piano wire. 3 bends, 180 tweezer shape bend in middle, with 2 short right angle bends for nut-engaging legs. Alternatively A hobby-craft store tube and a file to make a copy of the T-Tool. Either is a couple minutes work at most.

BTW, if you install with the slot on the bottom, and make a tweezer tool with the legs pointing in instead of down, a clear face top is seen. Works for nuts like yours and the Bananut's too.

smiler
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:47 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by smiler » Fri May 29, 2020 9:29 am

ryk wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:08 am
smiler wrote: Well that's a bit of a bummer and also really cool! Going a bit off topic here but I guess you don't want to sell a pack of 100 pot-nuts for a reasonable price? Even better, if you're into custom design of these parts I think a lot of people would pay for round black pot-nuts in the same style as the jack nuts (like https://www.conrad.com/p/okw-a6207009-r ... pcs-717780 but in black).
KSS wrote: :agree: Think of all the Serge -and Euro users with Davies 1900 knobs.. Definite opportunity for the first one to get these on the market.
Hello

Not a bummer, but quite painful with the current shipping times and shipping prices from China.
I am are currently been waiting 3 weeks for a Fedex from China that is slowly limping across Europe at the moment.

Waiting for another batch at the moment, I'll let you know about a bag.
Yea we're all feeling that!
ryk wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:08 am
RE: M7 Slotted nuts, sounds nice. But is there a tool for tightening those ?
As KSS said, there is but in my experience getting a hold of these specialized tools can be a pain. For jack ring nuts I've made my own out of some brass tube using a file. Looking around on the internet a lot of people seem to do something similar. I don't think a lack of a proper tool is a major issue for people that are into this :)

llbm
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:47 pm
Location: France

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by llbm » Fri May 29, 2020 12:36 pm

I just finished my kit and I'm having the same trouble for the calibration as Sethvl.

ch2 cv is ok, but ch1 is outputing 5v, 4.57v, 3.96v, 3.07v and 2.34v.

I double checked r28, r32, r34, c12 and c15. Everything seems okay. Same for vr1, and no shorts between ic7 or ic8 pins.
Tension is the same at pin 7 of ic7 as at the ch1 output and +12 and -12 are ok.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks

User avatar
Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 4:10 am
Location: Germany

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by Mr. Aloud » Fri May 29, 2020 2:23 pm

Torn between a second metropolis and this project: Would you say, operation is similar enough to run both together? Or are things different in a way that you always need to switch your brain between M185 and metropolis (like when using apple and pc keyboards in parallel, drives me nuts).

Also: Any feedback on stability, timing, bugs?
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

User avatar
ryk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 3:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by ryk » Fri May 29, 2020 4:45 pm

llbm wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:36 pm
I just finished my kit and I'm having the same trouble for the calibration as Sethvl.

ch2 cv is ok, but ch1 is outputing 5v, 4.57v, 3.96v, 3.07v and 2.34v.

I double checked r28, r32, r34, c12 and c15. Everything seems okay. Same for vr1, and no shorts between ic7 or ic8 pins.
Tension is the same at pin 7 of ic7 as at the ch1 output and +12 and -12 are ok.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks
Hello

Did you make sure the Voltage Switch is set to 5VQ ?

ryk
...................................................
https://instagram.com/ryk_modular/

User avatar
ryk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 3:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by ryk » Fri May 29, 2020 4:49 pm

ryk wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:45 pm
llbm wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:36 pm
I just finished my kit and I'm having the same trouble for the calibration as Sethvl.

ch2 cv is ok, but ch1 is outputing 5v, 4.57v, 3.96v, 3.07v and 2.34v.

I double checked r28, r32, r34, c12 and c15. Everything seems okay. Same for vr1, and no shorts between ic7 or ic8 pins.
Tension is the same at pin 7 of ic7 as at the ch1 output and +12 and -12 are ok.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks
Hello

Did you make sure the Voltage Switch is set to 5VQ ?

Sorry just saw you checked IC7 ( unaffected by voltage switch )

Can you try to see what happens if you set to 1V for stage 1 ?

PS send me some hires photo's of you PCB and I'll try and do some detective work.

ryk
Last edited by ryk on Fri May 29, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...................................................
https://instagram.com/ryk_modular/

User avatar
ryk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 3:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by ryk » Fri May 29, 2020 5:06 pm

Mr. Aloud wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:23 pm
Torn between a second metropolis and this project: Would you say, operation is similar enough to run both together? Or are things different in a way that you always need to switch your brain between M185 and metropolis (like when using apple and pc keyboards in parallel, drives me nuts).

Also: Any feedback on stability, timing, bugs?
Hello

Depends who you are asking, hard for me to be objective as I prefer using the M185 !

The basic core sequence functions are the same [ except M185 has more gate modes ]

The switches are upside down on the metro ! [ 8 down to 1 ]
And the version I was given the next/prev buttons dont let you preview the sequence steps. [ not sure what they do TBH ]

Re bugs, I have realease one firmware update so far to fix a bug, and to add a user feature request.
I am currently working on another update to add Reset Input functions, and anything else people might want.

Which one ?
Kind of depends how you use the metro.
Do you use lots of external CV modulation on the AUX channels ? Is so then the metro is good for that.

Do you want split sequence loops, dual sequences, or 2nd channel of CV, programmable gate patterns, MIDI ? If so M185 is good for that.

I see a quite a few videos of people [mis]using the metro. where each step is set to the same pulse count
and same gate type, which kind defeats the point of usings a M185/metro sequencer.

PS The M185 has a video game mode :sb:

ryk
...................................................
https://instagram.com/ryk_modular/

llbm
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:47 pm
Location: France

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by llbm » Fri May 29, 2020 5:29 pm

ryk wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:49 pm
ryk wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:45 pm
llbm wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:36 pm
I just finished my kit and I'm having the same trouble for the calibration as Sethvl.

ch2 cv is ok, but ch1 is outputing 5v, 4.57v, 3.96v, 3.07v and 2.34v.

I double checked r28, r32, r34, c12 and c15. Everything seems okay. Same for vr1, and no shorts between ic7 or ic8 pins.
Tension is the same at pin 7 of ic7 as at the ch1 output and +12 and -12 are ok.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks
Hello

Did you make sure the Voltage Switch is set to 5VQ ?

Sorry just saw you checked IC7 ( unaffected by voltage switch )

Can you try to see what happens if you set to 1V for stage 1 ?

PS send me some hires photo's of you PCB and I'll try and do some detective work.

ryk
Hi Ryk,

Yes I'm set on 5VQ.

I can't seem to get lower voltage than 2.16 (and then 2.63, 3.10, 3.56, 4.04...)

I checked IC7 again and I'm getting 11.3V on PIN8 and -11.95V on PIN4 to be exact, is this normal/shouldn't have any incidence?

Thanks,

Lény

User avatar
ryk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 3:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by ryk » Fri May 29, 2020 5:52 pm


Hi Ryk,

Yes I'm set on 5VQ.

I can't seem to get lower voltage than 2.16 (and then 2.63, 3.10, 3.56, 4.04...)

I checked IC7 again and I'm getting 11.3V on PIN8 and -11.95V on PIN4 to be exact, is this normal/shouldn't have any incidence?

Thanks,

Lény
I doubt the rail voltages you are seeing on IC7 are affecting the CH1 CV.

Can you PM or email me some hires pics of your PCB ?

ryk
...................................................
https://instagram.com/ryk_modular/

User avatar
Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 4:10 am
Location: Germany

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by Mr. Aloud » Sat May 30, 2020 2:50 am

Most of the time I use the metro to get things started by randomly playing with step and pulse count settings, then fine tune to my liking. CV modulation is done externally with metron/voltera and voltage block. The split mode, additional step modes etc sound too much fun to be missed, so the m185 is on the list. Oh, I´m looking for a 2nd sequencer, not a replacement. So it´s not a question of one vs the other, it´s more about workflow and should I use the same device twice or add some variety. Flipped repeat switches are not ideal, but since this is clearly labeled, nothing to worry about. MIDI is also nice to drive some more non-euro gear, so I guess I´m in. Thank you!
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

User avatar
needto
Common Wiggler
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:20 am
Location: Berlin

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by needto » Sat May 30, 2020 5:20 am

medbot wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:23 pm
needto wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:00 am
videos
Thanks for these! Also love your avatar, that guy is my synth hero.
Hehe yeah the guy is pure vibe :mrgreen:

Videos are not mine btw, just thought people might want to see more of the sequencer in action.

User avatar
needto
Common Wiggler
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:20 am
Location: Berlin

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by needto » Sat May 30, 2020 5:25 am

Ryk, the M185 is amazing already, with the addition of a reset input it will be even better!

One question, in long gate slur mode, it seems like note offs are not being sent via midi for long notes? Notes get stuck on my Peak until I reset the sequence, would be great to be able to use it for legato notes over midi, I guess if a note off for the previous long note would be sent after note on for the current note, that would work.

User avatar
ryk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 3:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by ryk » Sat May 30, 2020 10:41 am

needto wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:25 am
Ryk, the M185 is amazing already, with the addition of a reset input it will be even better!

One question, in long gate slur mode, it seems like note offs are not being sent via midi for long notes? Notes get stuck on my Peak until I reset the sequence, would be great to be able to use it for legato notes over midi, I guess if a note off for the previous long note would be sent after note on for the current note, that would work.
Hello

Thanks for pointing that out [ the MIDI thing ] [ although the "amazing" comment is nice too ! ]

I assume you are using a MIDI synth in mono mode.
I'll put it on the list of things for next firmware update.

PS let me know if your interested in testing the reset firmware out.

Cheers
ryk
...................................................
https://instagram.com/ryk_modular/

User avatar
NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1207
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:42 am

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by NS4W » Sun May 31, 2020 6:06 am

Wow- what a nice attention to detail in all steps of this project - it just looks fantastic and from what I've tested so far the interface is great too!
Congratulations with a super module RYK! I also second the suggestion of making the black jack nuts available separately, would compliment alot of my other black modules nicely.

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”