crOwBX 8-voice

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

ultravox
Veteran Wiggler

Re: crOwBX 8-voice

Post by ultravox » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:08 am

Thanks for the update Chrutil.

I hope to start building my 8-voice system, but I guess I should try building the voice cards first and then design a rig to test them. This would at least give me a reason to dive into CircuitStudio.
This means nothing to me... Oh, Vienna!

Chrutil
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chrutil » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:34 pm

ultravox wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:08 am
Thanks for the update Chrutil.

I hope to start building my 8-voice system, but I guess I should try building the voice cards first and then design a rig to test them. This would at least give me a reason to dive into CircuitStudio.
Thanks Ultravox -
I replaced the remaining FMB3904 and now both voice cards seems to be good.

I have a little bit more work to understand if everything is working - in particular I still can't see any action from NFCV input on my home made rig, which I believe is the CV for the Notch Filter. I am feeding it 0-5V, perhaps that's not right. Most controls are 0-5V, but in particular the ADR controls are different at I think 0v - -0.25v and resonance is reversed (5v-0v).
Not sure exactly what the FMODE1 and FMODE2 switches do, other than switch to HP and maybe BP filter, I will try to compare to my Two Voice Pro so see if I can figure it out.

My end goal has been to build a digitally controlled multi-timbral poly synth from these voice cards, and have so far not built the 4 voice or 8 voice backplanes. Now that VS-1 has been announced I guess that feature set is something to aim for, normally I'd jump on that in a heartbeat, but being already in so deep on crOwBX boards I'd rather just keep going with these.

Also, I have to ask - your profile pic - I swear I have seen that photo on some album.
Maybe on the back of an Rage In Eden era single? Or earlier? I tried image searching, but nothing came up and now I just need to know :)

Cheers,
C

ultravox
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ultravox » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:57 pm

Chrutil wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:34 pm

Also, I have to ask - your profile pic - I swear I have seen that photo on some album.
Maybe on the back of an Rage In Eden era single? Or earlier? I tried image searching, but nothing came up and now I just need to know :)

Cheers,
C
It's the inner sleeve of Ultravox - Vienna CD single ;)

Chrutil
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chrutil » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:46 pm

ultravox wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:57 pm
It's the inner sleeve of Ultravox - Vienna CD single ;)
I knew it! That meant something to me... :tu:

jvq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jvq » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:31 am

The only issues I've had with the FMB3904 so far are bad solder joints. It seems to lead to a fault where you can fry the buffer J112, where the VCO just stops working (because you really need that buffer :) ).

I keep finding host board bugs due to lack of CV buffering, just made a hack to buffer the VCFM and RES CV outs. I think I found all of them now. Tuning is pretty solid, after the whole thing warms up. Except one VCO failed on me again so I got to check more FMB3904 solderwork.

Chrutil
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chrutil » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:31 pm

jvq wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:31 am
The only issues I've had with the FMB3904 so far are bad solder joints.
Oh interesting. No artifacts between 130-180Hz?

With your setup up and running, if you have a chance, could you measure the voltage range that is sent to the NFCV pin, and does it have any effect when twiddling it?
I'm assuming this is a notch filter CV for the band pass filter, but I hear no effect of the NFCV control, even if filter mode 1 or 2 is on (feeding it 0-5volt).
Thanks,
Christer

jvq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jvq » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:30 pm

I'm not sure how to do that. I left out the parts that are not on the old crowbx voice cards (extra filters, pitch EG). I did that because I have 4 old and 4 new voices in my system.

For the third time in a row, one of my VCO's stopped working. It's the same VCO every time. The last two times I got it working again by replacing the input-J112 (Q8). I thought I fixed it for good after the second time by touching up all the FMB3904 solder joints but that was not enough apparently.

I wonder if I should try replacing the FMB3904, maybe I damaged it by soldering too long? It doesn't really make sense to me and I don't like randomly replacing parts.

My best guess why Q8 would break would be current flowing across the junction in the wrong direction (gate to drain/source). Maybe there is a situation where Q6 is in saturation and the 19V rail has dropped below 15V: in that case Q6 could pump current through Q8 to the (slouched) 19V rail. But why would that happen at all, and why only for that one VCO?

jvq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jvq » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:16 am

Regarding notch CV: I got a new host board as part of my 4-to-8 kit that I'm not using. That host board has pots / switches for the extra features, including notch CV. Looking at that board I think notch CV goes from 0-5V but it's a little confusing. There is a header "NOTCH CV" JP19 which has three pins, G, TS and T. G is connected to 0V. TS is connected to 5V. T snakes across the board to the notch CV pot and acts as the maximum value there. If I got that right (from just looking at the bare PCB and following the traces), it means that the notch CV pot won't do anything unless you connect T and TS of JP19. My guess is that there is supposed to be a jack socket there with a normaled connection (TS connected to T when nothing is plugged in).

jvq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jvq » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:32 pm

Well, I got my one broken VCO back, by replacing the FMB3904. Did some damage to the board in the process but luckily I am good enough at fixing that up with wire wrap wire. Ended up soldering wires to 2 of the legs of the new FMB3904. :( But, VCO back, my 7 voice is an 8 voice again.

jvq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jvq » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:36 am

At this point I think I can say I did it: I built an 8-voice CrowBX. :party:

- find an enclosure (picked Schroff 24571-790)
- create Schaeffer panels to mount host board, backplane, power supply etc in the new enclosure
- convert old voice cards from "CEM3310 equivalent circuits" to use AS3310 envelope generators for uniform envelope curves across all voices
- modify power supply (Oakley RPSU) with larger capacitors to handle larger current draw
- upgrade MIDI-CV converter from 4 to 8 channels
- fix various host board issues due to lack of CV buffering

Some information is available at https://crowbx-6d48f4aa5932532a5cd4216f ... index.html

Coming from the 4 voice, the 8 voice feels like a wonderful luxury (less note stealing).

Thank you Old Crow for creating and sharing all this stuff!

ultravox
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ultravox » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:03 pm

Congratulation jvq, nice job.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”