crOwBX 8-voice

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

whomper
Common Wiggler

Post by whomper » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:14 am

Nuclues wrote:Hi Whomper
Just to understand, is it vers 2,4 voiceboards you have in your working Fourvoice?

I have 8 voiceboards (vers 2,4) with no sound, so i'm very interested :)

best from Nick
As Chrutil mentioned, we both have 2.4 boards. Here are a few of my learnings when debugging the boards:
1. Overall, following silkscreen you should get working boards.
2. Current schematics will allow you to (probably) debug most issues.
3. I missed R73 value as silkscreen is not clear enough, placing 6k4 instead of 46k4, which halved 2nd voice volume.
4. Replaced R202 and R204 with wires. Output volume was too low otherwise.
5. On carrier board, changed R2 and R3 too 4k7 and removed R34 and R158.
6. Removed all IC sockets on carrier boards (lifted a few traces alongside, nightmare...) as otherwise voice cards do not properly fit.

When debugging without the above changes, I got no output from carrier board, so figured voice board had issues, but when tracing signal with scope, I found out output volume was the main issue for me.

Recommend to start debugging one voice (per each voice card) at a time following op amp out pins with scope (in case you have) to make sure signal path is ok.

Also, make sure Xmute is off (this had me chasing fantoms at time), out volume pot is on max, envelop sustain on max and standard LP filter with no resonance in place.

You can also send me hi Rez pictures of your boards to compare.

I'ld like to thank Chrutil for his efforts helping me debug my board. I found one needs 50% debug tips and 50% mental support to finish the project :-)

Nuclues
Common Wiggler

Post by Nuclues » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:27 am

Whomper, you are truly a premium Fellow Wiggler

Thanks for all the time you spent, explaining how you made it work

Bless, Nick

whomper
Common Wiggler

Post by whomper » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:20 am

Nuclues wrote: Bless, Nick
Please do not forget to make sure you have 5v in respective Gate in, otherwise EG will not trigger and respective VCA will not pass audio.
You don't need to bother yourself with CV signal to verify audio path, so just hook a 5v from elsewhere in the board to Gate1 of the board and test via Slot #1 of carrier.

Nuclues
Common Wiggler

Post by Nuclues » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:11 pm

whomper wrote:
Nuclues wrote: Bless, Nick
Please do not forget to make sure you have 5v in respective Gate in, otherwise EG will not trigger and respective VCA will not pass audio.
You don't need to bother yourself with CV signal to verify audio path, so just hook a 5v from elsewhere in the board to Gate1 of the board and test via Slot #1 of carrier.
you're so cool Whomper- big thx / Nick

Chrutil
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chrutil » Thu May 09, 2019 11:03 am

Hi all,
Just checking in how people are doing.
Does anyone have keyboard tracking working?
If you do, I could use some help with the voltage on the TRACK pin on the voice card (DD-2)
I am curious if that is an on/off (0-5v) signal, or if it changes between 0-5v depending on CV?

Also curious if anyone has hooked up the new modded pins on the 2.4 voice card and if so how you have hooked them up. (BB1-BB6, except BB-2)

Thanks,
C

Nuclues
Common Wiggler

Post by Nuclues » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:47 pm

Hi Fellowwigglers

I'm close to finish my 8 voice and ready for testing. BUT I don't understand some of the connections on the 8 voice backplane, so I would be so happy if some of you could help me
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Nuclues on Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nuclues
Common Wiggler

Post by Nuclues » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:58 pm

So if you look at my (confusing?) drawing I labelled the connections on the hostboard and backplane, to make it easy.

NO 1 (AAL+AAU) / is for what? cv/gate voices? Or?

NO 2/ I guess I connect NO2 with NO3 ? Or ?

NO4/ FTA/FTB on the host board goes to?

NO5/ JP6+JP7/ goes to?

NO6/CV+GATE on hostboard goes to NO7 on the backplane? or?

NO8 (CCL+CCU) what do I use this for?

MR oldcrow doesn't support schematics, so I can see what goes to where, so I hope some of you who finished your build can help me

Thanks and all the best, Nick wiedemann

ultravox
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ultravox » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:43 am

Hi Nuclues, I wish I could help but my 8-voice crowbx is still unbuilt and in the box.

I sadly get the impression this project is abandonware and we'll have to sort out any issues ourselves.
This means nothing to me... Oh, Vienna!

Nuclues
Common Wiggler

Post by Nuclues » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:31 pm

Yes there is no help at all from oldcrow, so I hope that one of the cool guys, whomper or chrutil, will be kind to help me sorting those connections out.
If you look up, there's a lot of info/ correction of errors etc ,from W and C and you are welcome to ask me also, but mine is not working yet :)

all the best /Nick

jpeterman
Common Wiggler

Post by jpeterman » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:16 pm

Does anyone know how much the 4 voice costs to make? I saw the 4 voice pcbs listed on CS80.com for $175 and the single voice pcbs listed for $50. But saw that some people posted it costs $1200+ to make a 4 voice...

Is the BOM really that expensive?

I had been waiting for a new release of boards and when I found out I missed out on the June preorder...seems like you can still buy this on modularaddict:
https://modularaddict.com/oldcrowmodula ... o-pcbpanel

Is this the only place to buy the panel from?
Last edited by jpeterman on Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

jpeterman
Common Wiggler

Post by jpeterman » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:18 pm

Last few times I emailed crow I didn't hear anything at all from him...

Nuclues
Common Wiggler

Post by Nuclues » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:49 am

Hi jpeterman
If you read this thread, you will novice that some claims that they never got what they paid for and the lucky ones get it many Months later. I was lucky, I got mine 6 Months after buying it. People who supported his project, will never get schematics for 2,4 vers voiceboard, so they are one their own and those who finished the project, say there's errors on the boards, so you cant just built it from the silkscreen. Worst thing is that Crowbx seems to completely ignore all the people who supported him and his project when they try to e-mail this guy. My best advice is : Don't buy anything from this Guy, never ever. I have non working 8 voice here and I think it cost me around 1000 Euros for materials and pcb's . All the best from Nick W

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:36 am

I wonder if this guy is OK, health wise, etc..? Seems like when people just drop off from internet contact it's not a good sign.

Nuclues
Common Wiggler

Post by Nuclues » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:38 pm

Hi devinw1

Well, first time I emailed this Guy, was 2 Month after I ordered his project and just wondered if I would ever get what I Paid for
He never mailed me back, so I opened a thread here at Muff, just to hear if someone knew this guy.. Many Wigglers chimed in, and said the guy was ok, so I relaxed

Some months after I was lucky to get the pcb's I ordered from him, but He forgot to include the schematics, as the description at his site said he would include, so I mailed him again, since I would never work on a project without schematics
I never heard from him
I even tried to PM him at Facebook, since there's a lot of activity going on there

What can I say ..

Best from Nick

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:21 pm

Old Crow (Scott Ryder) sent a email update for crowminius kickstarter people last week, so he's not disappered, only abandoned this project. Maybe he',ll get back to this some day.. who knows.

jpeterman
Common Wiggler

Post by jpeterman » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:13 pm

JanneI wrote:Old Crow (Scott Ryder) sent a email update for crowminius kickstarter people last week, so he's not disappered, only abandoned this project. Maybe he',ll get back to this some day.. who knows.
What do you mean he has abandoned the project? He just did a presale in june?

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:29 pm

Nuclues wrote:Hi devinw1

Well, first time I emailed this Guy, was 2 Month after I ordered his project and just wondered if I would ever get what I Paid for
He never mailed me back, so I opened a thread here at Muff, just to hear if someone knew this guy.. Many Wigglers chimed in, and said the guy was ok, so I relaxed

Some months after I was lucky to get the pcb's I ordered from him, but He forgot to include the schematics, as the description at his site said he would include, so I mailed him again, since I would never work on a project without schematics
I never heard from him
I even tried to PM him at Facebook, since there's a lot of activity going on there

What can I say ..

Best from Nick
That's shitty treatment, what else can I say. sorry that happened to you and I hope you don't get left hung out to dry.

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:42 am

jpeterman wrote: What do you mean he has abandoned the project? He just did a presale in june?
Abandoned all support for the project. As far as I know there was something wrong with the new voice card that nobody fixed. The kickstarter project also disappeared.

ultravox
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ultravox » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:15 am

If he's not sick or something it may be possible that oldcrow has been hired by Behringer and under a NDA? His crowminius and crowbx could have been the foundation of Behringer's Model D and UB-Xa.

It just might be possible??? Similar to how AMSynths stopped working on the ARP 2500 open source project after teaming with Behringer.

I also have a full set of pcbs for the crowbx 8-voice but I don't want to undertake the time and costs to build it because as far as I know oldcrow hasn't even built it himself. If it's broken by design I could end up chasing my tail trying to get it to work.
This means nothing to me... Oh, Vienna!

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:51 am

ultravox wrote:If he's not sick or something it may be possible that oldcrow has been hired by Behringer and under a NDA? His crowminius and crowbx could have been the foundation of Behringer's Model D and UB-Xa.
NDA would make perfect sense.

Nuclues
Common Wiggler

Post by Nuclues » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:20 am

Whatever kind of illness this Guy might have, it's just absurd to treat other people like this. He could upload the vers. 2,4 schematics for His voicecards, and still keep the respect, from people who supported him

1000 Euros and 100 Hours of work

Nuclues
Common Wiggler

Post by Nuclues » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:26 am

JanneI wrote:
jpeterman wrote: What do you mean he has abandoned the project? He just did a presale in june?
Abandoned all support for the project. As far as I know there was something wrong with the new voice card that nobody fixed. The kickstarter project also disappeared.
How crazy is it, to make a presale and at the same time know that People can't finish His project

grenert
Common Wiggler

Post by grenert » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:50 am

I have not heard of anyone who has received a single assembled Crowminius from the Kickstarter. There are a couple dozen people who have paid $700 and up and not gotten anything but a long series of dubious excuses including: Holdup in Hong Kong customs, panel mounting screw issue, shipping foam studies, AC adapter sourcing, wrong size shipping boxes, flu, HVAC problem, sump pump failure, motherboard failure. I'm waiting for the locusts to show up and eat the PCBs. This Kickstarter ended 3 years ago. I am highly doubtful of any NDA, and in any case, that has nothing to do with completing and shipping products that have already been purchased.

EDIT: Sorry for the off-topic post, but I think this is important for potential crOwBX customers to know.

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:26 am

grenert wrote:EDIT: Sorry for the off-topic post, but I think this is important for potential crOwBX customers to know.
I received my Crowminius pcb with schematics and it's working fine. So does my two 4-voice Crowbx's, but they are with the old voice cards.

whomper
Common Wiggler

Post by whomper » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:14 pm

Wanted to drop a quick note that the latest boards 2.4 voice and March 2017 main & carrier boards do produce a working CrowBX. I had to eliminate some of the 1n SMD caps on the carrier board to get the envelope working (Attack, Decay and Release) and a few changes I've posted elsewhere.

Any thoughts for small enough knobs that may work in this setup?

Attached a few pictures of my build (have posted in the main thread, but as this is a more alive one and latest where about latest boards working or not, posted here as well).

Image[/img]

Return to “Music Tech DIY”