NLC nonlinearcircuits 2018 modules

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:41 pm

artilect99 wrote:Any chance of a 4x4 version of Cluster? I was looking at the PCB wondering if I could just chop it in half but somehow that seems like a bad idea...
You are not the 1st person to ask this, I guess I could redraw the Cluster, maybe don't chop one :deadbanana:

JakoGreyshire
Ultra Wiggler

Post by JakoGreyshire » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:19 pm

JakoGreyshire wrote:
andrewF wrote:Some builders who want the DnM to perform as a normal delay :mad: ....
:lolspew:

HaHaHa! That's funny...Yeah, I don't want a normal delay.. That's why I got this bad boi.. What sold me was some demo somewhere that I heard it doing it's "K'chunk" breaking up sound and it reminded me of when I used to lived in San Diego and every other day or so a DC10 airplane would fly over Ocean Beach and it sounded like the airplane was ripping the air and sky apart. I instantly needed that Sky Tearing sound of the DnM. I'm thinking that I might just do a 20-30 minute noise set at open mic night with just this module... Well and maybe a microphone and Ears module to sing tones and tap the mic into the DnM.

Thanks for the module and all your help!

J.
andrewF wrote:No worries
I have done several gigs where the DnM is the main or only sound source. It is makes some very powerful sounds.

I just realized that this thread is probably not the place for talk about the Delay No More module, but a few people including myself have been doing just that. So, anyway I just wanted to follow up with my previous posts, and if I find other Delay No More Threads I'll post a link to this post..

I have had so much fun with this module... I built two of them...
This video is just the Delay No More. A one module challenge as it were... It's a bit of a long video but for the short attention spanded peeps I included some commentary in the form of titles... It's a bit silly, but is does help qualify individual parts in what is essentially a long drone of sounds... I think...

[video][/video]
My YouTuBe Page...
The patch you've created in your brain is more challenging to modify than the patch you have on your modular.

loopt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by loopt » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:18 pm

andrewF wrote:I guess I could redraw the Cluster
Yes, please! :party:

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:40 pm

loopt wrote:
Working on it. :tu:

loopt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by loopt » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:55 pm

andrewF wrote: Working on it. :tu:
:sb:

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:52 pm

The ADSR on the Null-A2 is really nice. Any chance of a single 4hp or dual 8hp
version of it in the future?

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:47 pm

appliancide wrote:The ADSR on the Null-A2 is really nice. Any chance of a single 4hp or dual 8hp
version of it in the future?
I will add it to the list, prob a dual 8HP

JakoGreyshire
Ultra Wiggler

Post by JakoGreyshire » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:55 am

JakoGreyshire wrote::tu: :tu:

Awesome! That's going to be an easy mod to try out as I have lots of room on the LDR leads.. Start at 1M and then if I need to try another value go higher? Or Lower? I could probably solder a few resistors across those leads... Depending on what I have...

Are there any other obvious mods for the Delay No More?
As I said before I built two Delay no More modules.. The second one I built, I put a 220K across the LDR and the range on the knob was really good as far as getting a lot of travel of the pot until it starts it's normal K'chunk breakup thing it does... however, Andrew was right, it loses the zipery crazy thing that I really like... So, I'll remove that resistor and either keep it stock or put a 1m on it... It is fun to run the two DnMs in series, but it gets hard to keep track of what is doing what and which knob to turn next... m The mind scrambles real quick but in a fun way....

I was thinking about how cool it would be to have a clock input for each PT2399 chip and then send them two related clocks...

I'm not sure how to hack in some clock inputs to the schematic.... Would that be easy to do?
My YouTuBe Page...
The patch you've created in your brain is more challenging to modify than the patch you have on your modular.

stepbysteps
Learning to Wiggle

love the gold and black

Post by stepbysteps » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:41 pm

great

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:32 pm

JakoGreyshire wrote:
I'm not sure how to hack in some clock inputs to the schematic.... Would that be easy to do?
afaik nobody has figured this out yet, a shame as it would make the chip even more wonderful

Revok
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Revok » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:59 pm

Not sure how the MCP41100 works exactly but it seems like it could be possible.
http://jmkpcbs.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... tation.pdf

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:50 pm

Revok wrote:Not sure how the MCP41100 works exactly but it seems like it could be possible.
It is a digital pot controlling the delay time of the PT2399, replaces the vactrol/pots usually used.

nigel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nigel » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:02 am

andrewF wrote:
JakoGreyshire wrote:
afaik nobody has figured this out yet, a shame as it would make the chip even more wonderful
It has a clock output, so you could divide that down by a few powers of two and then use a PLL to adjust the frequency to match an incoming clock. Use a VC clock to get V/octave delay times!

JakoGreyshire
Ultra Wiggler

Post by JakoGreyshire » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:40 pm

andrewF wrote:
Revok wrote:Not sure how the MCP41100 works exactly but it seems like it could be possible.
It is a digital pot controlling the delay time of the PT2399, replaces the vactrol/pots usually used.
Looks interesting..... I'll have to finish up a few other projects first and then maybe try to figure out what's happening with this idea.... I'm more of a casual DIYer, I'm not a circuit designer... I just remember seeing a pin on the PT2399 labeled clock and thought it was a clock input... At least it got me thinking and I like the responses given.... always something to learn, gotta love it!
My YouTuBe Page...

maaaks
Common Wiggler

Post by maaaks » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:01 am

andrewF wrote:
loopt wrote:
:nana: :nana: :nana:

How much of a pain would it be to turn those attenuators into attenuvertors?

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:41 am

It would mean a fair bit of a re-design as the pots are not attenuators (they set the gain of the VCAs) but it is actually something I would like to have as well.

ok...will look into it

artilect99
Common Wiggler

Post by artilect99 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:12 pm

andrewF wrote:
loopt wrote:
:hail:

Let me know when to send my :75:

whyfarer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by whyfarer » Wed May 15, 2019 10:56 am

Hi all. I just built my first NLC module (of many more to come!!) - a hyperchaos deluxe. Thanks NLC/Andrew for designing so many interesting modules and for making them so available.

I'm trying to figure out if it's working as it should, but it is a chaos module and there isn't too much out there demonstrating basic functionality.

I took a look at the schematics, but the chaos circuit is a beyond me...

I've hooked up a dual-channel scope to pairs of the outputs, and here's what I can say:
0) I went over my soldering yesterday evening and touched up anything that looked spotty. Could be I still missed something.
1) All the outputs generate something
3) Bifurcate seems to mostly affect speed to the cycling, though it also affects the shape of the outputs
2) Climax and CV (which affects climax) ins with the attenuating knob seem to only affect Z outputs. From the schematics, these seem to directly feed into Z so that makes some sense?
3) If I hook the scope up to pairs of W, X, and Y, the outputs seem to be pretty stable and periodic. Maybe not perfectly so, but CV in seems to do very little if anything. This is what is surprising me most.
4) magnitude of Z output seems lower than W, X, Y
5) the gate input seems to be functioning as the manual suggests

So, should W,X,Y be in somewhat stable oscillation with and without CV input?

If it helps, I can make a video of the scope.

Thanks.

n0rd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by n0rd » Thu May 16, 2019 7:31 am

whyfarer wrote:So, should W,X,Y be in somewhat stable oscillation with and without CV input?
No. See this demo vid. Notice how the scope shows a different pattern (persisting X-Y mode). Sometimes the difference is minimal, other times quite abrupt. Pattern is chaotic. In the video CV & Gate inputs are modulated but module should still be chaotic even without modulation.
:tardis:

whyfarer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by whyfarer » Thu May 16, 2019 12:22 pm

n0rd wrote:
whyfarer wrote:So, should W,X,Y be in somewhat stable oscillation with and without CV input?
No. See this demo vid. Notice how the scope shows a different pattern (persisting X-Y mode). Sometimes the difference is minimal, other times quite abrupt. Pattern is chaotic. In the video CV & Gate inputs are modulated but module should still be chaotic even without modulation.
I wasn't expecting to see such stable behavior, in part based on the scope in that video. Thanks for confirming that.

Any tips on debugging steps? With the feedback innate in the circuit design I'm not sure where to start.... Possibly tracing the Z output signal to where in impacts the other (x, x, y) signals?

n0rd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by n0rd » Sat May 18, 2019 6:57 am

Feedback paths all over so just start somewhere and check throughout entire circuit. You could upload a high-res pic and get other people to have a look too.
:tardis:

aliencHemistry
Learning to Wiggle

Let' Splosh! for melodies

Post by aliencHemistry » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:29 am

andrewF wrote:Let's Splosh

This is 8 different rectifiers processing 4 input signals. It is happy to work with audio or CV or both at the same time. It has 16 outputs that will deliver 16 different signals made up of components of the 4 incoming signals. To put it simply, it makes a gloopy mess of the incoming signals and smears it all over your patch. If this module name and the food names make no sense look up some sploshing videos on youtube. That is pretty much what this module will do to your CV and audio signals with corresponding amounts of pleasure for the receiver.

PCB USD20
Panel USD24
assembled USD180

Build guide and panel template

I am so much drawn to this module! Did anyone try this one with ambient melodies? I would like to build a module that can transform audio into more ambient soundscapes to create some atmosphere which is related to the main melody. This one looks perfect with tons of outputs, but I can't find more sound examples. Would this one be a good choice or should I bulid another NLC one?

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:16 pm

Searching for Splosh vids on youtube takes you far away from eurorack demos :hihi:

I think the Splosh would be brilliant for ambient soundscapes, you can create a variety of different but related sounds.

aliencHemistry
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aliencHemistry » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:26 am

Thanks for your reply! Yeah, I quickly found out about this... :eek: :hihi: Looking forward to having endless patching possibilities!

nios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nios » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:01 pm

Let's Splosh bears a functional resemblance to the Worng Vector Space; does anyone have experience with both of these by any chance to elucidate them for us?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”