NLC nonlinearcircuits 2018 modules

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:46 am

check the highlighted components and, with a multimeter, the pw & pwm pins on the upper PCB connectors read changes in voltages when turning the pot or feeding a CV.
edit - also check the 10k just on the left of the TL072

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:09 pm

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:26 pm

[video][/video]

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:34 am

uuav
Learning to Wiggle

Post by uuav » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:10 am

Aww I was looking for modules to do non-grid based rythm.
Do IN1 trigger both delays if IN2 unplugged ? (if not easy mod I guess?)

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:12 am

do NLC modules come presoldered with their SMD parts?

arbee
Learning to Wiggle

Post by arbee » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:45 am

uuav wrote:Aww I was looking for modules to do non-grid based rythm.
yup curious about that as well. I already have spring reverb covered, but that gate delay looks really interesting.

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:21 am

uuav wrote:Aww I was looking for modules to do non-grid based rythm.
No, but you just need to add a wire from the In1 jack to the In2 jack's switch pin (so yes - an easy mod)

n0rd
Veteran Wiggler

The Big Room demo

Post by n0rd » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:12 am

NLC The Big Room Demo:
https://soundcloud.com/subconsciousincl ... everb-demo

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/525611775" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=true&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="300" iframe="true" /]

0:00
Test different sounds dry then full wet through 'The Big Room'.

0:57
Drums --> The Big Room.
The Big Room 'Out1' --> MI Streams (Compressor) --> OUT

Manual Tweaking of The Big Room 'Feedback'.

2:19
No input, just playing the springs in the tank... and hitting the tank too.

The Big Room --> MI Streams (Compressor) --> OUT.

3:41
Sample --> The Big Room --> Out1 (Wet/Dry)
Manual tweaking of Feedback (near end).

5:16
Braids --> The Big Room 'IN Wet/Dry'.
LFO --> The Big Room 'Pan CV'.
The Big Room OUT1 --> Left.
The Big Room OUT2 --> Right.

Manual Tweaking of The Big Room 'IN Wet/Dry' & 'IN Wet'.

:combine:

Steve
:tardis:

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:19 pm

Good stuff - thanks Steve :tu:

n0rd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by n0rd » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:27 am

Portabella wrote:do NLC modules come presoldered with their SMD parts?
NLC DIY PCBs do not come with any components pre-soldered.
Check ebay for "smd practice kits" for you to try smd... you might like it.
andrewF wrote:Good stuff - thanks Steve :tu:
:guinness:
:tardis:

OlivierWah
Common Wiggler

Post by OlivierWah » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:57 pm

Very nice demo of The Big Room. I really really love it on voices :D.

JakoGreyshire
Ultra Wiggler

Post by JakoGreyshire » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:04 am

Just got done building the Delay No More module......

SHIT! This thing is crazy!!! So good.. I spent about a half hour droning the thing with no input patched into it... I would have kept messing with it but I had to go out. The bass drops and tones I was getting were amazing. Such dynamic variations with the different feedback paths and the delay times...
bancha wrote:`snip`
My idea is to create a DIY modular system capable of creating chaotic sounds made of drones, screams and creaking that can be both uncontrollable and, to some extent, controllable.
`snip`
Yo, Bancha get a Delay No More! I was able to get some deep drones that made me smile when it came out of my sub woofer. It has some screams but the kind of screams that happen while sleeping. Creaks and creaking?? YES! This thing creaks... And all this with nothing running into the input! ( I'm just repeating myself about the no input thing...) So far I've only played with a few one shot sounds going through it. To gauge the delay and controls therein... I'll have time later to put some PWM waves through it and see how it does for drones and experimental stuff.. Anxiously excited about that...

Couple of questions though....

I installed an Ultra Violet LED instead of the red one that came with the kit. Would that cause a change in functionality with the "Delay B" knob?

The reason I ask is that the Delay B knob only lights up the LED when the knob is full CCW back to about 11:00 o'clock. Then the delay goes so slow it starts to do the cool breaking up thing... It seems like most of the knob range is unusable, from about 12:00 or 1:00 o'clock to full CW it craps out.. Nothing..Nada.. Is that normal?

Is there a way to change some resistors or some mod to get more of a full usage out of this knob? Maybe to get it to crap out at 4:00 o'clock to full CW?

The "Delay B" knob is at its shortest delay when the knob is full CCW, right?
And, the Course and Fine knobs are at its shortest delay when the knobs are full CW, right?

I've been looking at the schematics... Looks frick'n cool... Makes me want to try modding it... I don't know how to make a good mod, and I don't want to kill the board. I guess if I ever get bored with it I could try to mod it... Crazy style: replace things and see what happens...

:eek:

P.S. Andrew, your dog is so cute when it curls its lip while you scratch its right cheek.. Man, that dog is addicted to modular sounds, or it just loves to hang out with you while you do your thing.

:hihi: :hihi:
My YouTuBe Page...
The patch you've created in your brain is more challenging to modify than the patch you have on your modular.

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:03 am

The different LEDs just affect when the vactrol turns on, it isn't much to worry about.
The effective pot range depends on the resistance range of the LDR inside the vactrol, if it goes to 10M or more it really affects the circuit, not necessarily badly but it means you might be waiting a minute or 3 for something to happen.
You can alter this by soldering a resistor across the LDR leads coming out of the vactrol (the ones that DON'T have A & K next to them), maybe 1M would be a good start point.

The dog just likes hanging out, and regularly comes in with various toys or sticks to try to get me to stop work and play for a while.....I usually do.

JakoGreyshire
Ultra Wiggler

Post by JakoGreyshire » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:40 pm

:tu: :tu:

Awesome! That's going to be an easy mod to try out as I have lots of room on the LDR leads.. Start at 1M and then if I need to try another value go higher? Or Lower? I could probably solder a few resistors across those leads... Depending on what I have...

Are there any other obvious mods for the Delay No More? Like decisions that you had to make while designing the module that got left out for one reason or another?

Also, a newb question: What would happen to the course range "if" that 1M pot was changed out to a smaller value? Would a different pot value necessitate a change in the 1K resistor next to it?

Just wondering, theoretically, what would happen if the course and fine pots were both 50K? Or 100K for that matter?

Hooray for happy Dogs! (and cats!)

My YouTuBe Page...
The patch you've created in your brain is more challenging to modify than the patch you have on your modular.

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:17 pm

Some builders who want the DnM to perform as a normal delay :mad: replace the 1M pot with 50k-100k, you could then change the Fine pot to something smaller as well, say 5k-10k. Always keep the 1k resistors, no need to change them. If you go under 1k it risks damaging the PT2399 ICs at startup.

Regarding 1M across the LDR leads, prob go lower tho the lower you go the more you lose the random bahaviour and zippery k'chunk sounds

JakoGreyshire
Ultra Wiggler

Post by JakoGreyshire » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:02 pm

andrewF wrote:Some builders who want the DnM to perform as a normal delay :mad: ....
:lolspew:

HaHaHa! That's funny...Yeah, I don't want a normal delay.. That's why I got this bad boi.. What sold me was some demo somewhere that I heard it doing it's "K'chunk" breaking up sound and it reminded me of when I used to lived in San Diego and every other day or so a DC10 airplane would fly over Ocean Beach and it sounded like the airplane was ripping the air and sky apart. I instantly needed that Sky Tearing sound of the DnM. I'm thinking that I might just do a 20-30 minute noise set at open mic night with just this module... Well and maybe a microphone and Ears module to sing tones and tap the mic into the DnM.

Thanks for the module and all your help!

J.
My YouTuBe Page...

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:14 pm

No worries
I have done several gigs where the DnM is the main or only sound source. It is makes some very powerful sounds.

JakoGreyshire
Ultra Wiggler

Post by JakoGreyshire » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:29 am

Yeah that 1M across the LDR seems to be just about right... I might experiment with it some more but I'm having so much fun with it that It'll probably just stay in the case for now...

I'll probably get another one.... :eek:

:tu: :tu:

Thanks again..
My YouTuBe Page...

artilect99
Common Wiggler

Post by artilect99 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:19 am

Any chance of a 4x4 version of Cluster? I was looking at the PCB wondering if I could just chop it in half but somehow that seems like a bad idea...

Maalis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Maalis » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:23 pm

If the primary use would be to combine gates to obtain new patterns, is Let's Splosh useful or should I just go for Numberwang? Trying to plan a new rack here...

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:49 pm

I've noticed you've got a lot of cool logic and mathematical based modules. I'm just wondering if you have one that provides an Absolute function (turns all negative voltages to positive). I just heard about this function from the Mannequins Cold Mac.

uuav
Learning to Wiggle

Post by uuav » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:39 am

There is also Statues and a bunch of OR/XOR BOOLs !

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:35 pm

Maalis wrote:If the primary use would be to combine gates to obtain new patterns, is Let's Splosh useful or should I just go for Numberwang? Trying to plan a new rack here...
Numberwang! Splosh is more suited to CV and audio, tho you can feed it gates too.

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:40 pm

c0ntr4d1ct10n wrote:I've noticed you've got a lot of cool logic and mathematical based modules. I'm just wondering if you have one that provides an Absolute function (turns all negative voltages to positive). I just heard about this function from the Mannequins Cold Mac.
No. but it is a simple add on to the difference rectifier (in the Neuron module)

Return to “Music Tech DIY”