More stuff from Crow's Atelier: crOwBX -> crOwBX-A

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

More stuff from Crow's Atelier: crOwBX -> crOwBX-A

Post by oldcrow » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:05 pm

Heya folks,

With the return of certain chips courtesy of Alfa Rpar and Erica Synths, I can now make the crOwBX-A voice card. As with the crOwBX cards, these will be drop-in compatible for vintage machines but also able to be used with my 8-voice backplane. Right now it is a work in progress, but I should have boards to test before CNY hits. :guinness:

--Crow

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:07 pm

FYI yes I saw the Behringer UBXA thing. I'll believe it when I see it. 8-) This project is about making cards that work in vintage machines and for the general DIY wanderlust. :sb:

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:24 pm

oldcrow wrote:FYI yes I saw the Behringer UBXA thing. I'll believe it when I see it. 8-) This project is about making cards that work in vintage machines and for the general DIY wanderlust. :sb:
:yay:

wavydave
Common Wiggler

Post by wavydave » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:30 pm

Count me in! :cloud:

I already have two 8-voice OB-Xas (one is apart though), and I would like to do comparisons.

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:52 am

Crow: So what are the actual differences between the original OB-X and OB-Xa voice cards? CEM3340 & CEM3320 instead of discrete components? Anything else?

tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tobb » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:07 am

:tu:

(as drop-in for vintages it will be problematic due to the resonance of the AS3320!)

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:41 am

I will deal with that when I test the board. Changing the resonance control profile is not very hard for either filter. :sb:
tobb wrote::tu:

(as drop-in for vintages it will be problematic due to the resonance of the AS3320!)

The Real MC
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Real MC » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:50 pm

oldcrow wrote:I will deal with that when I test the board. Changing the resonance control profile is not very hard for either filter. :sb:
tobb wrote::tu:

Just checked the schematics.

OBXa voicecard has some signals that are not TTL compatible thus it is not interchangeable with OBX.

I discovered this for the OBSX too. Telltale was the 7416 on the processor board.
I haz a wrench, to fix da synth.
http://www.analoguediehard.com/

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:05 am

Right, this card will have its own backplane, etc. It was not meant to work in a crowbx/OBX setup.
The Real MC wrote:
oldcrow wrote:I will deal with that when I test the board. Changing the resonance control profile is not very hard for either filter. :sb:
Just checked the schematics.

OBXa voicecard has some signals that are not TTL compatible thus it is not interchangeable with OBX.

I discovered this for the OBSX too. Telltale was the 7416 on the processor board.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”