208p build thread (papz's PCBs)

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

friedemann
Learning to Wiggle

Re: 208p build thread (papz's PCBs)

Post by friedemann » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:19 pm

Sometimes only sequence LED 1 lits but same behavior.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:04 pm

There's most likely a same build error on both cards, double check all.
Just in case, there is no 4016/4066 on card 1.
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

sendepause
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sendepause » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:55 pm

sendepause wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:14 pm
Question:
I have build a 208 ( not Papz) and there is a lot of knowhow in this thread I put the question here.
So how noisy is your 208? I have a new card 12 installed and without any cards, except the 12, there is some serious noise on the output. Headphone out is a total no go.
I’m doing a open heart surgery atm and check everything on the motherboard and can’t find any weird things.
So: is your 208 noisy as well? How noisy? Headphone out noisy?
Well...
I contacted the great Dave Brown about my problems. After some emails back and forth, we managed to localize the problem around the headphone output. When I desoldered the electrolytic caps, the noise was almost gone. So we even narrowed it a bit more, specifically to the 12v rail. And after some more measurements and emails, we couldn't find the problem. I did have a very noisy Cincon power supply and my last try, before giving up and send the 208 to the doctor, was buying a new power supply.

Guess what... Problem solved! When I plugged it in and there was no noise, I could almost cry with happiness hahaha

Albeit not a papz 208, there is another working easel on the planet!

thecivildefense
Common Wiggler

Post by thecivildefense » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:02 pm

Can someone help me understand the Tinijax wiring for the Switchcraft 42a for the preamp in on the panel? So I get tip is supposed to go to card 10. Ring to ground wherever. But what about the switched connection?

Also I know tinijax and 3.5mm cables are different sizes, but also that 3.5mm should work here. BUT I'm noticing if I use a 3.5mm cable here (don't have tinijax yet) it seems to NOT break the switched connection. If the function is to short to ground w/ no cable plugged in I'm assuming this won't work then w/ 3.5mm if it's not switching.

Don T
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Don T » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:27 pm

thecivildefense wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:02 pm
Can someone help me understand the Tinijax wiring for the Switchcraft 42a for the preamp in on the panel? So I get tip is supposed to go to card 10. Ring to ground wherever. But what about the switched connection?

Also I know tinijax and 3.5mm cables are different sizes, but also that 3.5mm should work here. BUT I'm noticing if I use a 3.5mm cable here (don't have tinijax yet) it seems to NOT break the switched connection. If the function is to short to ground w/ no cable plugged in I'm assuming this won't work then w/ 3.5mm if it's not switching.
Wire the switch to ground. I.e., the tip contact should be grounded when not in use.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:56 am

Here's a pic.
The green cable is signal, soldered to the tip.
The shielding is ground, connected to both other tabs via a piece of component lead.

IMG_1671.JPG

Some minijack plugs work in tinijax sockets, others don't.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

thecivildefense
Common Wiggler

Post by thecivildefense » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:56 pm

papz wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:56 am
Here's a pic.
The green cable is signal, soldered to the tip.
The shielding is ground, connected to both other tabs via a piece of component lead.

IMG_1671.JPG

Some minijack plugs work in tinijax sockets, others don't.
Perfect. Thanks all. I'll have to remember to use a proper tested cable when I finish the build so I make sure the cable breaks the normal.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”