New Syncussion with MIDI and Silent power - VIDEOS

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

huglo
Learning to Wiggle

Re: New Syncussion with MIDI and Silent power - VIDEOS

Post by huglo » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:18 am

Hello,
I'm having troubles tuning the MIDI Oct on both channels, it's impossible to get an octave difference while sending only one octave differents note.
Any suggestion?

huglo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by huglo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:07 pm

No Idea? Anyone?

mmoody
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mmoody » Tue May 12, 2020 4:38 pm

Looking for a builder in the US who can finish/troubleshoot two syncussion SY-1M builds.

One unit has low pitched and distorted voices and another has low output issues. I can describe the issues more in depth if interested - I don't think it will be a complicated fix/finish for an experienced builder. Shoot me a DM if interested. Thanks :tu:

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:05 pm

I spent a bit of quality time trying to get ^those^ two units working - while I didn't fix everything, I got some of it going, and hopefully didn't do any harm at least. mmoody was cool about it, and is a great guy besides. But it made me realize that I'd been postponing building this for a long time, so I gathered the parts and got to it. Very nice kit - everything works, and having midi is cool!
DSC00606-2.jpg
DSC00610-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

memorygardens
Wiggling with Experience

Post by memorygardens » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:13 am

is there going to be another run anytime soon? I see it is out of stock at the store.

bloke_zero
Common Wiggler

Post by bloke_zero » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:41 am

Bodo1967 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:42 pm
Bodo1967 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:41 am
But I'll also try using MIDI and see if that works.
Yep. Works as it should. Just recorded the sequences in question :tu: .
Note to myself: Just use MIDI when sequencing the SY-1M with the BSP, and everything will be fine. Luckily I built the Syncussion version that has MIDI included :mrgreen: :tu: .

Case closed for now, though I'd still be interested in why CV/Gate isn't working from the BSP in this case.
It's possible to set the BSP to S-trigger rather than the more normal V-trigger - might be worth checking. They are a bit weird in their description of drum gates
Two voltages are sent for each note: one for Gate open and one for Gate close.
I thought the gate was just voltage high for the period of the gate - I guess that could be the same idea - just lost in transaltion.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:37 pm

You know, this is the second time I'm hearing BSP drum trigger problems, went through the same thing with someone trying to trigger my SY0.5. Someone with a BSP needs to hook it up to a scope and see what it's doing. For the record the SY triggers when the input goes high, there is no gating of the EG. Keep in mind that circuit was designed for a drum pad, no way to sustain a note there.

bloke_zero
Common Wiggler

Post by bloke_zero » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:41 pm

Ok - I'm just finishing up a build of V2 and I can't find the ON-ON mini slide switch in the BOM - Apem MHS122K - is there a good alternative in the UK? Thanks!

Edit:
Ah - I see from V3 "MHS123K" as only possible alternative.

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:12 am

bloke_zero wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:41 am
It's possible to set the BSP to S-trigger rather than the more normal V-trigger - might be worth checking. They are a bit weird in their description of drum gates
Hm. My BSPs (I have two) - as well as all other CV/gate capable sequencers I have - are both set to V-trigger since I don't even own any instruments that require S-trigger. And they work well with the other stuff in question (such as MFOS, TTSH, Korg Volca, Modular...).

Also, I didn't use the drum gates but one of the melodic sequencers since I used the Syncussion for marimba-like melodic lines, i.e. I used pitch control as well.

Thanks for your input & thoughts anyway :tu: !
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:00 am

Bodo1967 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:12 am
Hm. My BSPs (I have two) - as well as all other CV/gate capable sequencers I have - are both set to V-trigger since I don't even own any instruments that require S-trigger. And they work well with the other stuff in question (such as MFOS, TTSH, Korg Volca, Modular...).

Also, I didn't use the drum gates but one of the melodic sequencers since I used the Syncussion for marimba-like melodic lines, i.e. I used pitch control as well.

Thanks for your input & thoughts anyway :tu: !
maybe there is something up with your trigger input, just reading through the BSP manual looks like it should work (even with the "Two voltages are
sent for each note: one for Gate open and one for Gate close"). Try triggering it with just a fast attack audio sample or a mic even

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:30 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:00 am
maybe there is something up with your trigger input
Sensitivity adjustment perhaps :despair: ? But since it works OK in MIDI mode I'm fine with that.

What puzzles me is that it works absolutely flawlessly in CV/gate mode with the Korg SQ-1. Actually so good that I bought a second SQ-1, which means I now have 16 steps per channel instead of 8, allowing for more complex rhythm patterns. Actually I hardly ever use the SQ-1 for anything else than the SY-1m :hihi: . They make a great team. And I'm currently even in the process of designing a bespoke stand for my SY-1m and the two SQ-1.

The main reason I used the BSP for the above mentioned marimba-like melodies is that those melodies simply required more steps than the SQ-1 can provide.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:07 am

so the trigger in works with the SQ1? then +1 for the BSP being in S trig instead of v trig, thats the only thing that fits. You can confirm that easily if you have a volt meter (or even plug it into a VCO), when that port is set to drum mode, if its S trig, it will sit high (12v) and V trig it will sit low (0V). Alternatively, just leave the BSP in normal CV/Gate mode and see if the gates fire off the SY, that works with non-moog synths, then it should fire off the SY.
Last edited by Altitude909 on Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:18 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:07 am
so the trigger in works with the SQ1?
Yes, and absolutely flawlessly at that. And with CV control (provided the SY-1m is set to a pitch controlled mode, of course).
Altitude909 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:07 am
then +1 for the BSP being in S trig instead of v trig
But in that case the BSPs wouldn't work properly (as is definitely the case!) with all my other CV/gate triggered stuff, as mentioned above. I don't even have any instruments that use/require S-trigger, and my BSPs are definitely in V-trigger mode.

I know it sounds strange, and I don't have an explanation. I think I'll just file this under "unsolved mysteries" and proceed as I do now, i.e.: Whenever I need more steps than the SQ-1 can provide I'll just use the BSP in MIDI mode :despair: .

Thanks for your input and thoughts nevertheless!

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:43 am

yeah, its really weird. have you tried switching it between the two drum trigger modes and see if it makes any difference? Maybe somethings bugged in the BSP drum trigger mode

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:56 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:43 am
have you tried switching it between the two drum trigger modes and see if it makes any difference?
No, but for the sequence in question I didn't use the drum gates anyway but the melodic sequencer (since I needed the pitch control). And I did try some different gate length values ranging from very short up to really long. Manual triggering by pressing the pads didn't work either.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:39 pm

thats not what I am talking about, I'm talking about switching the gate behavior from S to V or vice versa just to see if there is a change in behavior

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:58 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:39 pm
thats not what I am talking about, I'm talking about switching the gate behavior from S to V or vice versa just to see if there is a change in behavior
I had understood you, and that was what my opening "No" in the previous post was referring to ;).

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:28 pm

gotcha. I dont suppose you have a scope or scope module? We can speculate about it all day where just plugging it in and watching what it does would be the end of the discussion

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:48 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:28 pm
gotcha. I dont suppose you have a scope or scope module?
Sure I do (a Hameg from the mid nienties), but in this case...
Altitude909 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:28 pm
We can speculate about it all day where just plugging it in and watching what it does would be the end of the discussion
... I don't see what use this would be: The BSP puts out a gate signal (again: it works with all other CV/gate triggered instruments I have, and I checked that with a DVM too), and it is set to V-trigger. Since I mostly use the SY-1m with the SQ-1s, and still can use it in MIDI mode whenever I have the need for longer sequences, that's OK for me.

bloke_zero
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by bloke_zero » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:52 am

shiftr wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:52 am
I finished mine quite some time ago...
Now in using it i noticed there is something wrong with it.

In modes B-E the sound disappears when the tune fader is below 50%.
It seems the OSC1 goes sub Audio frequency then

I resolderede all the ground solder pads and checked all components.
Anywhere else to look?
I just finished my build and have a similar problem - seems like the channel 2 has this same problem with the OSC 1 frequency being too low.

It makes some cool sounds in a sort of metalish way on the upper half the range of the tune slider but nothing like the stronger sounds on channel 1.

Maybe the hex invertor chips? The soldering seems good and the values the same on the bottom as the top. I'm quite happy to take this to a local tech, but figured I'd ask here to see if anyone had a suggestion on tracing the issue. I'll try swapping some chips when I have the emotional strength to open it up again!

A great kit to build - very satisfying to get the metail work in place - reminds me of building MOTM kits from back in the day - you finish it and think "wow - this thing is built like a tank - boom!"

roglok
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by roglok » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:58 am

Bodo1967 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:48 am
... I don't see what use this would be:
while you have found a workaround for yourself, the suggestion to produce some empirical evidence in order to find out what's actually happening vs. your assumption of what's happening is certainly very helpful. it might also be of interest to others reading this thread.

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:00 am

roglok wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:58 am
while you have found a workaround for yourself, the suggestion to produce some empirical evidence in order to find out what's actually happening vs. your assumption of what's happening is certainly very helpful. it might also be of interest to others reading this thread.
In how far would measuring a constant DC signal (BSP gate) with an oscilloscope be more helpful than with a DVM?

roglok
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by roglok » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:58 am

Bodo1967 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:00 am
roglok wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:58 am
In how far would measuring a constant DC signal (BSP gate) with an oscilloscope be more helpful than with a DVM?
What do you mean by "constant"? A drum trigger gate is supposed to be a fast rising and typically very short signal (~2-10 ms long). A normal DVM is usually not able to display such short events properly. An oscilloscope will show you both amplitude and duration of the signal. You can then observe the gates from your other devices and find out how they differ. If the gates are too long, you could build a simple gate to trigger converter to transform them into short spikes.

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:13 am

roglok wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:58 am
What do you mean by "constant"? A drum trigger gate is supposed to be a fast rising and typically very short signal (~2-10 ms long).
Bodo1967 wrote:Also, I didn't use the drum gates but one of the melodic sequencers since I used the Syncussion for marimba-like melodic lines, i.e. I used pitch control as well.
That implies a defined gate length which can easily be measured with a DVM. Also when manually using the pads, which doesn't work with the SY-1m as well, as I pointed out somewher above in this thread.

The SQ-1 - with which it works - also puts out defined gates plus a CV for the pitch since it is a melodic sequencer and not a drum trigger.
Last edited by Bodo1967 on Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

roglok
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by roglok » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:15 am

Bodo1967 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:13 am
roglok wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:58 am
What do you mean by "constant"? A drum trigger gate is supposed to be a fast rising and typically very short signal (~2-10 ms long).
Bodo1967 wrote:Also, I didn't use the drum gates but one of the melodic sequencers since I used the Syncussion for marimba-like melodic lines, i.e. I used pitch control as well.
So you tried to use pitch CV signals as drum triggers? That would explain a lot...

Return to “Music Tech DIY”