Choosing alternative capacitors for MI DIY projects

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

henrry
Common Wiggler

Choosing alternative capacitors for MI DIY projects

Post by henrry » Tue May 22, 2018 12:43 pm

Hello.

I d'like to build a couple of MI micro modules but found out that there are a fair amount of delayed components.

A friend of mine told me that I should just pay attention to the following:
1) Capacitance: should match the original value
2) Voltage Rating DC: should be min. 25 VDC
3) Tolerance: 5% and 10% in the worst case
4) the size should match example: Case Code - in:0603

So my questions where: what if I sistematically take 10% of tolerance and any Dielectric value (X5R instead of X7T for instance)?

Is there any specific thing I should check?

adam
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by adam » Tue May 22, 2018 1:09 pm

if you're shopping at mouser they will choose alternative parts for you if you ask, either before you order or after you have ordered out of stock items (if you contact them quickly )

that list sounds reasonable, it's what I tell people to look for when shopping for alternative parts

cygmu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cygmu » Tue May 22, 2018 1:18 pm

In the Mutable github you will find a parts list in excel format for every module. Olivier lists important specs for the parts there, so you can see if for example some of the caps are specified as C0G dielectric or if narrow tolerance is needed.

pix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pix » Tue May 22, 2018 3:29 pm

you're usually able to fit some 0803 components in 0603 slots if you don't this for every component. Just drag the cap to the very edge of the first pad you solder and that gives you enough room to solder on the other side. Just double check for bridges.

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Tue May 22, 2018 5:05 pm

cygmu wrote:In the Mutable github you will find a parts list in excel format for every module. Olivier lists important specs for the parts there, so you can see if for example some of the caps are specified as C0G dielectric or if narrow tolerance is needed.
Yes, this. Many caps in these circuits are can be subbed with same value but different tolerances or temperature stabilities. Where the BOM says things like "C0G" or "Film" you should stay close to that. With electrolytics its vital to keep to same footprint (case diameter) and voltage rating.
Wired for weird

henrry
Common Wiggler

Post by henrry » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:11 am

:hail:
Big thanks to all of you for your answers.

For the beginners like me who may wonder where they can find the MI github link, here it is:
https://github.com/pichenettes/eurorack

Return to “Music Tech DIY”