18-channel DIY Stereo Analog Vocoder

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:35 pm

Dang, Glubsch, your build documentation is impressive to say the least.

Makes me realize what I have to contend with for making the manual for my Pro2021 assembly. :omg:

kassu
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Assembly guide complete

Post by kassu » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:18 pm

glubsch wrote:I've just finalized the Vocoder Assembly Guide. It is now complete.
Just chiming in that that's a very nice PHD thesis worth of assembly guide!

Browsing through the following came to mind: you somewhere recommend to take adjacent resistors from the tape to get better matched parts. I was hand-matching some resistors recently (Royal Ohm brand 1% if I remember correctly), and I didn't have the feeling that adjacent resistors were specifically better matched, it was pretty much scatter. So if matching is important it might be worth to actually measure them.
Synth DIY blog and circuits: http://kassu2000.blogspot.fi/

glubsch
Common Wiggler

Post by glubsch » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:55 pm

devinw1 wrote:Dang, Glubsch, your build documentation is impressive to say the least.

Makes me realize what I have to contend with for making the manual for my Pro2021 assembly. :omg:
Just coming back to the thread. I didn't realize there were a couple more posts. I must have missed a notification.

devinw1, thanks for the kudos.

kassu, interesting feedback. I know for sure that it makes a difference if chips come from the same wafer. Using adjacent resistors was a recommendation but it's not a must for this project. In fact, the resistors I received from Mouser where not on a tape and I didn't bother matching them.

derpinguin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by derpinguin » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:55 am

So far I am very happy to have joined in on this project. The support and the communication with glubsch is phenomenal. If you are undecided whether to participate or not, I would like to encourage you to give it a go.

Thumbs up from my side so far, the price is high, but it is justified.

pinewave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pinewave » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:13 pm

This looks and sounds amazing! I'm going to be ordering a kit as soon as I work through my project backlog a bit more :)

Thank you for the care and attention to detail you have put into this design!
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. -Arthur C Clark

Heavy Metal Kid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Heavy Metal Kid » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:00 am

Found out about this project via Synthopia the other day. Will read the documentation thoroughly.

gipsycat
Learning to Wiggle

Vocoder order

Post by gipsycat » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:37 am

Hi,

Please add me to your list. I am interested in one unit.

Thanks in advance.

glubsch
Common Wiggler

Post by glubsch » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:52 pm

The following five wigglers have signed up and I don't want them to be waiting any longer:
  • synthcube
  • derpinguin
  • needspeed
  • Girilal
  • pinewave
So I am happy to announce that we are now taking the next step.

Last weekend I updated the spreadsheet linked in the first post to make sourcing parts even more transparent. There are now three Mouser projects, one for the main project and two for the two types of power supplies designed for the vocoder. So if someone's been undecided so far, the window of opportunity is closing very soon. I am awaiting payments and as soon as all payments are done the window of opportunity is gone.

You should get your 36x MC33079 soon. When I started this thread, Mouser and other distributors still had them in stock. So far, it seems the only distributor left is Rochester. The price appears very reasonable.

derpinguin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by derpinguin » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:26 am

Very happy to see, that more people are joining in on this project.

magman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by magman » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:34 am

I've finally decided to jump in with this project as well.

Regards

Magman
Next Liverpool Synth Meet - it’s 11th April 2020

glubsch
Common Wiggler

Post by glubsch » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:46 am

magman wrote:I've finally decided to jump in with this project as well.

Magman
I’ve sent you a PM.

glubsch
Common Wiggler

Post by glubsch » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:45 pm

One more wiggler has just signed up:
  • synthcube
  • derpinguin
  • needspeed
  • Girilal
  • pinewave
  • Magman
Julian will build our front panels: natural anodized front panels will have black print, black anodized will have white print.

glubsch
Common Wiggler

Post by glubsch » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:26 pm

OK, in case someone is still sitting on the fence, the window of opportunity to get on board is about to close.

glubsch
Common Wiggler

Post by glubsch » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:26 am

Alright, we've just entered stage 2.

No more requests will be accepted at this time. I've already started ordering the material. Once I've received all parts, I will ship them to the six builders who've signed up for this project.

Dr Gris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dr Gris » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:14 pm

Nice!!!
I'm not brave enough but following this with interest.
I have a good feeling about this, professional and well thought out project :tu:

Recently used my old Roland SVC-350 on a song and can't help but wonder how it would sound with 18 bands instead of 11...

Good luck!!
//M

needspeed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by needspeed » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:47 pm

Dr Gris wrote:Nice!!!
I'm not brave enough but following this with interest.
I have a good feeling about this, professional and well thought out project :tu:

Recently used my old Roland SVC-350 on a song and can't help but wonder how it would sound with 18 bands instead of 11...

Good luck!!
//M
I am building this instrument as I too think it is a great design and should be of very high quality. Excited for the all the parts to be manufactured and shipped so that the build can begin.

I am not even sure I need a vocoder but I love to build this stuff as I think I have some kind of illness called builditis
To a never ending journey of exploring all noise that may or may not be music to someone or anyone.

tkatona
Learning to Wiggle

Re: 18-channel DIY Stereo Analog Vocoder

Post by tkatona » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:37 am

I just saw this post, sorry, can I get a chance to build it, please.

glubsch wrote:2019-03-15: No more orders are accepted at this point. Six builders have signed up. Now the material is going to be ordered and shipped to the builders.

2019-10-24: I am now accepting orders. If you are interested in this project, please first familiarize yourself with the documents shown below (Assembly Guide, BOM, Bundle Request Form), then fill out the Bundle Request Form and send it to my email address. You can find my email address at vocoder.hoerold.com near the end of the web page.

Note: the bundle I am offering is not the whole kit. You will still have to order parts from your trusted distributor. There are three Mouser projects available:I will accept orders until the first 12 candidates have signed up. As is customary at muffwiggler's, I will post the candidates' aliases on the first post.

Once the list is full, I will accept payments. After all payments are made, I will order the parts and PCBs as requested per the Bundle Request Forms sent to me.

Sign-up list:

1. synthcube
2. derpinguin
3. needspeed
4. Girilal
5. pinewave
6. Magman

2018-10-24: Assembly guide

Find the assembly and tuning guide here.

2018-09-27: Initial pricing info

For a good pricing indicator (final prices for panels pending), see the bundle request form.

2018-08-16: BOM now available

Alright, there are now two documents available:
  • 1) A PDF that contains the complete assembly tables and the BOM.
    2) An Excel spreadsheet that I've built up over the last couple of years and that I've just updated with the latest component cost.
I believe for many of you the spreadsheet is of strong interest as it essentially gives you and indication about the total cost for the BOM.

Feature comparison chart:

2018-07-30: Original post

Hello wigglers!

What do think about this 18-channel analog stereo vocoder?

[video][/video]

I've been working on this project over the last couple of years but now it's time to check the community's interest. Over time, I hope we get to know each other better on this thread.

glubsch
Common Wiggler

Post by glubsch » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:51 pm

Three more builders managed to sneak in as the most crucial materials order hasn't been prepared for shipped to me yet. The list is now as follows:

1. synthcube
2. derpinguin
3. needspeed
4. Girilal
5. pinewave
6. Magman
7. drbach
8. tkatona
9. gwpt

synthcube
you will be assimilated

GROUP BUY MC33079

Post by synthcube » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:01 pm

We will arrange a group buy for the MC33079. We will order enough for the nine builders already signed up. We will set up a product listing and accept orders on our webstore, and then ship them when they arrive to us.

IF THERE ARE OTHER HIGH QUANTITY PARTS YOU'D LIKE US TO ADD TO THE GROUP BUY PLEASE POST IN THIS THREAD AND ALSO EMAIL US BY FRIDAY 22 MARCH 2019

derpinguin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by derpinguin » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:30 pm

Thank you for your offer to organize the group buy for the 33079.

Not really high quantity, but how about you offer a complete pack of all needed ICs? If we order the 33079 via you, we could buy the other ICs from you as well. And IIRC you planned to offer kits for the vocoder in the future, so you would stock those anyway, aren’t you? Correct me if I am wrong.

I think the other parts are no problem to aquire for everyone. Resistors, caps and so on are available everywhere.

pinewave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pinewave » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:38 pm

derpinguin wrote:Thank you for your offer to organize the group buy for the 33079.

Not really high quantity, but how about you offer a complete pack of all needed ICs? If we order the 33079 via you, we could buy the other ICs from you as well. And IIRC you planned to offer kits for the vocoder in the future, so you would stock those anyway, aren’t you? Correct me if I am wrong.

I think the other parts are no problem to aquire for everyone. Resistors, caps and so on are available everywhere.
I like this idea as well :)

Thanks Synthcube!
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. -Arthur C Clark

needspeed
Veteran Wiggler

Additional Items for Group Buy - Suggestion

Post by needspeed » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:41 pm

I am in on the Group Buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by needspeed on Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To a never ending journey of exploring all noise that may or may not be music to someone or anyone.

derpinguin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by derpinguin » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:57 pm

Potis and 3.5mm jacks are included in the bundle from glubsch.

needspeed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by needspeed » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:02 pm

derpinguin wrote:Potis and 3.5mm jacks are included in the bundle from glubsch.
I forgot all about filling out the bundle request form and yes you are right and thank you for reminding me. I will update my post......Steve

gwpt
Common Wiggler

Post by gwpt » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:52 am

hey Synthcube, I'm keen for the group buy :)

Return to “Music Tech DIY”