Future Sound Systems - Brunswick

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:21 pm

just got my kit in the mail today, wil build it in a couple of days.

dimensions are here: http://www.futuresoundsystems.co.uk

why on earth didn'they make it fit for eurorack ??? 5-6 mm less and It would have been OK... :eek:

4floorsofwhores
Common Wiggler

Post by 4floorsofwhores » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:54 am

autodafe wrote:just got my kit in the mail today, wil build it in a couple of days.

dimensions are here: http://www.futuresoundsystems.co.uk

why on earth didn'they make it fit for eurorack ??? 5-6 mm less and It would have been OK... :eek:
I'm guessing it was deliberate :D
Careful now

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:31 am

4floorsofwhores wrote: I'm guessing it was deliberate :D
yeah I can imagine... ;-)

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:31 am

Just finished my Brunswick in a couple of hours

(BSP Sequencing + Mutant Bassdrum + Dreadbox Echo)

[video][/video]

MalteseSynther
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MalteseSynther » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:37 pm

....took the plunge and ordered one from THONK yesterday.....i have been building synth modules for three years now, and from what I can see, this looks like a very simple build. This brings the JASPER Wasp clone to mind, which also is a single pcb build, but with a LOT of more components, but quiet easy to build. I can already see the opportunity of modd'ing upwards this lill 'fella, though I understand why it was kept relatively simple but still totally versatile with all those patch points. For those who wish to power it from other power sources then the batteries specified, a simple 7909/7809 dual supply circuit would totally suffice, and there is also scope for an on-board audio amplifier based upon a LM386 driving say, a two-inch speaker or two. This would make the synth a stand-alone unit, which makes a front panel a very nice thing to have. ...... :nana:

22/11/2018
:yay: :yay: :yay: packet arrived, Brunswick Kit under construction :yay: :yay: :yay:

futuresoundsystems
<3 CMOS

Post by futuresoundsystems » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:50 am

HI THERE

Sorry we've been quiet here - things have been rather hectic since the release of this thing.

First off - we have an apology to make. It seems that throughout the design phase, we got lucky with component tolerances and ended up putting the envelope gate circuit right on the edge of firing at +5V. Therefore, some builders have had problems getting their envelopes to fire.

The solution to this is to lower R5 - it's in the BoM as 100k, and we suggest changing this to ~47k. This can be done either with a direct replacement of the resistor, or by strapping another 100k across R5 in parallel to make 50k. There's a shot of the offender here:

On to other things now:

We didn't Eurorack it because we didn't want people to think this was a Eurorack exclusive thing. We also plan on expanding the "range" for the Brunswick - there'll be companion projects in the same form factor at some point in the future. Oh, by the way, it's the same width as the Korg Volca series + SQ1.

Sorry the transistor pins are so close together. We've tried to make it a little easier on the latest board revision, but it's still pretty tight. Solder braid may well be your friend there.

You can throw hot signals into the inputs and all that will happen is they'll clip. +/-12V will be fine, but expect to be in the lower range of the attenuating pots.

You should be able to power the thing from a wall-wart into a DC->DC converter. Something like this should suffice. We may well make some kind of add on thing for the Brunswick (series) at some point, but again, the design was made with simplicity and portability in mind. Take your Brunswick, Volcas and Minirig to the park for an afternoon. Have fun.

A manual is coming soon, we promise.
Unique designs and ideas in sound since 2005:
http://www.futuresoundsystems.co.uk

Branko
Common Wiggler

Post by Branko » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:01 pm

I built mine yesterday and was confused cause it was tough to get my envelope to trigger. Thanks for the update! I'll switch out the resistor as soon as I get home!

Some of the capacitor pads were quite tight, but all in all a super easy build, and the thing sounds kickass!

Also went ahead and made a panel. Had some heavy duty laminate on hand, and a piece on Sintra, and it turned out alright. has a kind of frosted look to it:

MalteseSynther
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MalteseSynther » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:04 am

"We also plan on expanding the "range" for the Brunswick - there'll be companion projects in the same form factor at some point in the future."

:sb: :sb: :goo: :goo: :hail: :hail: :yay: :yay: :banana: :banana: :nana: :nana: :bananaguitar: :bananaguitar:

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:15 pm

wow Branko, very nice Panel !!!!

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:19 pm

here's mine, with the pankle from Future Sounds Sys made thru Schaeffer (quite expensive, I must admit, but was worth it...)

earlneath
Learning to Wiggle

Post by earlneath » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:59 am

I made a little YouTube video to provide a reference for anyone who is debugging or wants to know what it sounds like.

[video][/video]

UPDATE: the issue I was having with gate control l using CV from an external controller has been made possible using the fix described by Future Sound Systems in their posts to this thread. See the short clip below. I understand only a few people have encountered issues with gate control.

[video][/video]
Last edited by earlneath on Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

futuresoundsystems
<3 CMOS

Post by futuresoundsystems » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:00 am

earlneath wrote:The thing l'm wondering is how to gate control the Brunswick using CV from an external controller? CV Pitch from a beatstep or keystep into 1V/Oct in on the Brunswick controls pitch no problem. But how to send gate (on/off) signals to the Brunswick using CV Gate from a controller? I have tried patching from CV Gate on an Arturia beatstep and keystep's to the Brunswick's Envelope Gate with the CV Pitch going into 1V/Oct In on the Brunswick. That isn't successful.
We've had a couple of other users report that changing R5 still doesn't get their envelope triggering. The fix for this, seemingly, is to strap a 100k resistor between pins 2 and 3 of the right-most TL082 IC (the TL082 beneath the power switch). Doing so should put the gate comparator into action for +5V gates, with R5 changed to 47k also.

futuresoundsystems
<3 CMOS

Post by futuresoundsystems » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:02 am

Also, we're working on a manual for release, hopefully, by the end of the year. However, in the meantime, for those out there who are a little confused by the signal routing on this thing, we've drawn up a signal flow diagram, which can be downloaded here.

csaban
Learning to Wiggle

Post by csaban » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:43 am

futuresoundsystems wrote:Also, we're working on a manual for release, hopefully, by the end of the year. However, in the meantime, for those out there who are a little confused by the signal routing on this thing, we've drawn up a signal flow diagram, which can be downloaded here.
Thank you! That's handy!
I saw you guys using the schematics in the thonk youtube video, is that available? Or will that be part of the manual?

earlneath
Learning to Wiggle

Post by earlneath » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:57 pm

csaban wrote:I saw you guys using the schematics in the thonk youtube video, is that available? Or will that be part of the manual?
The FSS post above yours includes a link to the schematic, a PDF version, and I'm attaching it here as a file attachment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

futuresoundsystems
<3 CMOS

Post by futuresoundsystems » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:22 am

Back in stock at Thonk n o w !

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:24 am

I have put the 100K resistor parallel to R5 and also between pin 2 and 3 of the TL082...
Still cannot trigger that envelope...
Just to be sure, GATE goes into Env Gate, right?

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:12 am

here's what I did, on the back of the PCB

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:25 am

maybe I'm an idiot...but th VCA ENV2 controll needs to be cranked all the way up for the Gate/Env to work at all...(thanks to FSS support)

namke
Learning to Wiggle

… … … triggering

Post by namke » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:05 am

autodafe wrote:maybe I'm an idiot...but th VCA ENV2 controll needs to be cranked all the way up for the Gate/Env to work at all...(thanks to FSS support)
I've also had problems with triggering, with both changes in place I can't get mine to 'go'. I'll take another look soon I hope (too many other things on the go!) — I'll try turning the control like you say (thanks!)

It works anyway - the only online recording I have of it is this when I was testing a delay circuit I am playing with :)

https://soundcloud.com/namke/beef-and-delay-2

namke
Learning to Wiggle

Post by namke » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:48 am

autodafe wrote:maybe I'm an idiot...but th VCA ENV2 controll needs to be cranked all the way up for the Gate/Env to work at all...(thanks to FSS support)
:( Nope, still not triggering for me. This is from a Beatstep: according to my scope, the trigger voltage is 7.5 volts…

hofmann25
Common Wiggler

Post by hofmann25 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:57 pm

Maybe I'm missing something. But, I can't find the BOM. :roll:

MalteseSynther
Learning to Wiggle

BRUNSWICK user manual

Post by MalteseSynther » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:06 pm

......anything on the manual please?

Thonk Support
aka Monobass

Post by Thonk Support » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:41 am

hofmann25 wrote:Maybe I'm missing something. But, I can't find the BOM. :roll:
BOM is here -
Thonk - CLICK HERE - Modular Synth DIY + Eurorack Accessories Store

AS of October 2020 this account which used to go by the name of Monobass is now manned by various staff at Thonk.

wicked_experimenter
Learning to Wiggle

is it possible to power the brunswick with a 9v dc adapter?

Post by wicked_experimenter » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:22 pm

i was wondering, if I get two of these connectors, a Y cable and a 9v dc adapter, can I power the brunswick through them?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/9V-Batt ... 95b23ae0ca

Return to “Music Tech DIY”